PDA

View Full Version : Open it up or leave it IE?

Pages : 1 [2]

James
01/03/2002, 5:07 PM
no think he was getting at..the fact that people registered and then never posted anything...indicating that they just wanted to read / keep an eye on posts...which of course they could have done without registering , using a guest type status..

of course by registering and logging in .. it remembers what threads u have read, and what u havent..so it only shows up new threads and new posts...

i duno.. i think people on the whole are pretty dumb anyway..so i think they just dont know what they r doing :D

dahamsta
01/03/2002, 5:26 PM
So no-one can think of three valid reasons then, eh?

adam

pete
01/03/2002, 6:07 PM
you correct as always James. me didn't think of that.

2 reasons?
non-ie takes away from uniqueness of forum.
eL v premeirship "fights"

dahamsta
01/03/2002, 6:31 PM
Three reasons for not having logins pete...

adam

James
01/03/2002, 6:38 PM
1 more hassle to register

2 not everyone is using the one pc all the time, some posting from college or from a public place, you have to login then rember to log out again.. takes up time..( certain people from longford... might remember to log-out f the internet cafe ..next time the cork boys are in town..or next time i might not be as nice with your account )

3 to register, you fill out a form, giving out some personal info about yourself

4 maybe because it could be some peoples perception that by logging in and out..you can monitor their web habits and web patterns more.

Adam,now i dont nessessarily agree with any of those or for one sec beleive them myself.. i'm just throwing them out as possible reasons..

Zizou -Cork-
01/03/2002, 9:57 PM
Yo Adam,

I feel the idea of putting a premiership forum into www.foot.ie would be benifical.

It would expand the website, making it packed.

As Roy Keane once remarked, "you should broaden your horizons". That justifies by adding the premiership forum.

As a fanatic of the 'beauitful game and overwhelming interest on footie in IRL & U.K. , the Premiership forum would be useful.

Kids might start joining foot.ie . The older folks market watch British footie so chances of generating more traffic on www.foot.ie are by large, pretty good provided there's a premiership forum!

-Zizou

goalside
01/03/2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Zizou -Cork-
Yo Adam,

Kids might start joining foot.ie . The older folks market watch British footie so chances of generating more traffic on www.foot.ie are by large, pretty good provided there's a premiership forum!

-Zizou

older folk dont use the internet much so i cant agree about moree traffic. i think more kidswould ruin it.

if premiership forum is allowed here im out. i have enuff of it as it is

Neil
01/03/2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by goalside
if premiership forum is allowed here im out. i have enuff of it as it is
I'm with goalside on this one!

Jim Smith
01/03/2002, 11:23 PM
This is quite a lively thread so surely all Adam has to do is raise the spectre of the Premership every so often and he'll get an increase in traffic :D

pete
02/03/2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari

adam

doh.

:eek:

gheewhizz
04/03/2002, 1:39 PM
I think logins are a good idea. I see from the LTFC site (were there are no logins) that user names are being taken by others & can cause problems, my username was taken (except for the w**ker spelt it wrong), PAURO 7 & Macy were also taken. At least with logins you know they’re comments are genuine.

I would also be against the idea of opening up this forum to other leagues especially the English PD. It's bad enough having RTEngland showing more English PD than the Irish PD & also having it on the at 7:30pm, when Irish games kick off. So don't destroy this site by opening it up to other leagues.

goalside
05/03/2002, 7:52 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari

adam

give me three reasons for having logins

joe
06/03/2002, 9:26 AM

if it weren't for log-ins on this site anyone could come along and start posting obscure rants using the name 'goalside' and everyone else would think it was you :)

Pablo
06/03/2002, 9:43 AM
And then those people might think you are an idiot Goalside.

and we couldnt have that :D

pete
06/03/2002, 10:04 AM

Best reason:

"View new posts"

Once so log back in can select that & choose which threads to read. When you come back later in the day don't have to check through each section to see if any new posts.

:cool:

Éanna
06/03/2002, 5:41 PM
Originally posted by pete

Best reason:

"View new posts"

agreed

James
06/03/2002, 5:44 PM
what abouts the private message.. that would never work if you had no logins..

gustavo
07/03/2002, 1:07 AM
you could have hours of fun looking at people signatures ..... if u were that way inclined .... not that i have ever done that or anything!... oh forget it!

Ruairi
07/03/2002, 9:33 AM
Would advertising the site not help? The only place I've seen foot.ie advertised is a banner at the cross. Could an ad not be placed in a national paper? Or harass the people at the Soccer Show to do a feature on it? Just thrashing out some ideas here, what do ye all think?

dahamsta
07/03/2002, 1:22 PM
I'm not being smart here Ruairi, because many people don't realise, but do you know how much an ad in a national newspapers costs?

Lemme put it this way, even if if cost just a hundred euro, we couldn't afford it, because Foot.ie is a voluntary "organisation" that spends more than it makes (nothing).

adam

Schumi
07/03/2002, 1:47 PM
But would harassing the likes of the Soccer Show about a feature of some kind be possible?

Troy.McClure
07/03/2002, 4:20 PM
Advertising on other message boards might be another idea. Shelsweb on http://www.shelbournefc.ie/ has a broad following, including Bohz & Derry fans.

pete
07/03/2002, 4:49 PM
yeah surpriseing no Derry heads (thats what they call peoplemin dubland ;) ) on foot.ie.........

Schumi
07/03/2002, 5:09 PM
They have their own message board though don't they?

James
07/03/2002, 5:16 PM
well cork city have citynet..but u dont see anyone posting there.. :D

Jim Smith
07/03/2002, 5:30 PM
Its all about breaking people's habits. If you are used to a certain message board you tend to stick with it. Creatures of habit and all that.
This has to be one of the best sites because I can see within a couple of seconds where the new posts that might interest me are (and who made them) - due to the login requirements. If people got into the habit of using this site, I'm sure they would stay - its getting them here that's the problem. Maybe one day I'll tell you something you didn't already know :D
This site seems to be well estabished as far as Cork City is concerned. What do supporters of other clubs think would make them change their MB habits?

Xlex
08/03/2002, 8:28 AM
Next season why not have the foot.ie banner go on tour??

A face
08/03/2002, 10:45 AM
of those foot.ie banners. Longford of the next biggest posting club, shouldn't they be rewarded, this is just a thought, trying to encourage more traffic. i will gladly chip in if there is a whip around.

Gary
08/03/2002, 6:14 PM
I havent rwad much of this thread so this may have been suggested before, but hows about having as a bit of a statto corner, with stats of different eL clubs, league tables, top scorers etc. Maybe even a news section. An unofficial eL site as such to rival JWs maybe?

James
08/03/2002, 6:18 PM
Originally posted by GWA
An unofficial eL site as such to rival JWs maybe?

non starter IMO... first mover advantage to JW..and the barrier to entry is too high methinks .. look at the other outfits in this area.

soccercentral and inthenet..and both will never be as good as JW's even though they have commercial backing..
it would take something might big to move people from JW's and i dont think it will happen

A face
11/03/2002, 4:39 PM
dont like the idea of competing with JW, simply because he does an excellent job of it, he is the best. I would really like to see a stato corner

Like this one for top scorer (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/loi/01-02/prem/scorers.htm)

Or this for a league table (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/loi/01-02/prem/standings.htm)

Fixtures would be great aswell. (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/loi/01-02/prem/fixtures.htm)

This would be a great idea for up and coming events supporters club meetings, AGM's draws, Table quizes and fixtures aswell. (http://foot.ie/calendar.php?s=)

But as regards news and that, i wouldn't go there, not to compete with JW. Shooting all ourselves in the foot me thinks.

eoinh
20/07/2004, 2:47 PM
Again, please think carefully about this before you post a reaction. But please, /do/ post a reaction.

adam

Ok ive thought about it. No reaction!

Dont have premiership forums :)

dahamsta
20/07/2004, 3:09 PM
Way to lift a four month old thread Eoin.

Schumi
20/07/2004, 3:09 PM
a four month old threadCheck the year there!

dahamsta
20/07/2004, 4:23 PM
Christ on a bike!

brendy_éire
21/07/2004, 12:50 AM
Am I the only person who's just read this entire thread thinking it was posted in the last 12 hours? :o

Good decision on no Premier**** forum, BTW. ;)

the 12 th man
21/07/2004, 7:30 AM
i would think by adding different/foreign leagues forums you are more than likely going to get more hits/users in the short term.

but i think long term you would loose the unique atmosphere and quality that we currently have here.
other leagues do pop into the daily grind through general football etc but the driving force for posters is the e/l which logic dictates to me,will be taken over by english football talk.

i would still log in and post etc but i think i share the opinion of the vast majority here that you would be giving up the "high ground" you/we are currently on to become "just another website".this website is head and shoulders above anything else out there where e/l soccer is concerned.

i am not being sarcastic here but i think the e/l community (well all of us on here)would be a poorer place. :)

Macy
21/07/2004, 3:36 PM
:D No Brendy, although I copped on when I saw Magoo had posted (back around today bizarrely!).

Jon'o
21/07/2004, 4:53 PM
if the discussion is still open id say keep things as they are.

if the number of people signing up is a problem, then on a another football board that i post on they asked for people to hand out flyers at matches.

of course this could be difficult on account of cost or if people would be willing to help but its just an idea and seemed to work well on the other site