PDA

View Full Version : Noel Mooney: Thats Entertainment!

Lim till i die
06/04/2005, 11:11 AM
Lads forget the fact that he is shamefully poor at the basics of goalkeeping the man is a born entertainer watching him on the field is worth the admission price alone. He shouldn't be left near the team but surely he could be used in some kind of pre-match and half time capacity to get the crowd going with his wacky antics and funny walks :D An absolute legend

I think hes a novelty keeper like Bruce Grobbelar was for Liverpool:

Fun but **** :D

Risteard
06/04/2005, 1:10 PM
He can't be that bad, is he?
Rovers loved him and i wouldn't mind having him back as back-up to Devine.
Devine is just as prone to the odd blunder.

Éanna
06/04/2005, 3:21 PM
Devine is just as prone to the odd blunder.
Wouldn't agree there. Devine has hardly made an error in the last year- he's got very consistent.

Kerry Blue
06/04/2005, 5:44 PM
Rovers loved him.
Thats not saying much! Especially considering the blunder that was made by their current favourite last Saturday night against Harps!

i wouldn't mind having him back as back-up to Devine.
You can have him. From what I've seen of him, Kevin O'Sullivan and John Healy are both better keepers than Mooney.

sadloserkid
07/04/2005, 11:39 AM
Rovers loved him

They loved him so much they went out and bought Russell Payne before Mooney had a chance to even settle in.

He's a lovely guy but he's been totally unconvincing thus far for us.

LFC in Exile
07/04/2005, 12:45 PM
On the Jimmy Fyffe thing and at the risk of getting lynched, why is nobody criticising Jimmy for leaving? Mooney was signed and I presume Jimmy was told he would be second choice. He decided to leave and not fight for his place. Which is strange now given that Mooney is not performing really well. Did he throw in the towel too soon? I know some lads on here know Jimmy - I don't - I am not trying to 'get' at him but I am surprised nobody has raised this before. He is not playing any ball now - and would he have been better off staying and fighting for his place than getting the hump when Mooney was signed. :ball:

Cityfeen
07/04/2005, 12:47 PM
I always thought he was a great keeper.I think he'll come good for ye

gael353
07/04/2005, 1:07 PM
Well i think we can take it that we wont be seeing Jimmy in team ever again, its sad but LFC did say he did walk. If Noel Mooney was playing well he'd have been forgotten by now but hes playing bad, no crap even and thats why we all hanker for Jimmys amazing saves and prowess. Kevin O'Sullivan and John Healy are both good goalkeepers and one should have been used sonner then now. Sligo are all about quick crosses so we shall wait and see The stop gaps at central defence of Wolfe and or Molan will not do against sligo. Timmy Lynch should start but doubt he will.

LFC in Exile
07/04/2005, 3:15 PM
Well i think we can take it that we wont be seeing Jimmy in team ever again, its sad but LFC did say he did walk. If Noel Mooney was playing well he'd have been forgotten by now but hes playing bad, no crap even and thats why we all hanker for Jimmys amazing saves and prowess. Kevin O'Sullivan and John Healy are both good goalkeepers and one should have been used sonner then now. Sligo are all about quick crosses so we shall wait and see The stop gaps at central defence of Wolfe and or Molan will not do against sligo. Timmy Lynch should start but doubt he will.

I don't think Wolfe is considered a stop gap - he is our second centre half. He was suspended for Kilkenny - I presume he is available for Sligo - it was a second yellow wasn't it?

The Derrynane 1
07/04/2005, 3:27 PM
Ah happy days...
boing boing boing boing boing boing!
I'm sure Willy Wanka will remember those days :D

sadloserkid
07/04/2005, 4:30 PM
Wolfe got a straight red to the best of my remembrance (though it's kinda hazy, there was a lot of people shouting things *cough* JohnD *cough*).

As for Fyffe leaving, I think it's important to note the pittance that he was offered to sign. Some may cast it as mercenary but Fyffe left (as is my understanding of things) for financial reasons, not because of a fear of competition.

On an aside though, it's petty indeed that when he asked to train with Limerick until he found a new club, they told him that they'd get back to him and then didn't bother. That's very smalltime in my book but each to their own.

fc hammer
07/04/2005, 4:48 PM
On an aside though, it's petty indeed that when he asked to train with Limerick until he found a new club, they told him that they'd get back to him and then didn't bother. That's very smalltime in my book but each to their own.[/QUOTE]

Notting petty about that.He was'nt going to be a signed player for the club,so why doesn't he join a gym if he wants to keep fit!!!

sadloserkid
07/04/2005, 4:50 PM
Notting petty about that.He was'nt going to be a signed player for the club,so why doesn't he join a gym if he wants to keep fit!!!

Because it happens all the time that players train with local clubs? Several of our own players train with local clubs midweek and Limerick have often allowed non-signed or affiliated players to train with them.

LFC in Exile
07/04/2005, 5:58 PM
Wolfe got a straight red to the best of my remembrance (though it's kinda hazy, there was a lot of people shouting things *cough* JohnD *cough*).

As for Fyffe leaving, I think it's important to note the pittance that he was offered to sign. Some may cast it as mercenary but Fyffe left (as is my understanding of things) for financial reasons, not because of a fear of competition.

On an aside though, it's petty indeed that when he asked to train with Limerick until he found a new club, they told him that they'd get back to him and then didn't bother. That's very smalltime in my book but each to their own.

Fair enough - but he is not playing for anyone now so financially he is even worse off. I agree about the training thing.

fc hammer
07/04/2005, 6:10 PM
Because it happens all the time that players train with local clubs? Several of our own players train with local clubs midweek and Limerick have often allowed non-signed or affiliated players to train with them.

he was offerd a contract,he chose not to sign!but still wanted to train with limerick..in my vew your either a part of the team or your not!!

sadloserkid
07/04/2005, 6:16 PM
Fair enough - but he is not playing for anyone now so financially he is even worse off.

Actually, he's not. His point was that he'd lose more money in the time he had to take off work to play with Limerick than he'd actually earn playing with us.

As for FC Hammer's point, if he'd been offered a reasonable contract then he might not have turned it down? And then we might not be shipping goals with Mooney between the sticks.

Westside
08/04/2005, 4:24 AM
I can't understand why Jimmy is not between the sticks for us this season but for whatever reason, he's not.While I've been far from impressed with Noel Mooneys displays this season, of the 3 keepers we have at our disposal at present he is, the best option.Kevin O'Sullivan is too small and to be honest is too quiet, you need someone who is always talking to his defenders.John Healy, well I have never had any confidence in this guy.Lovely to watch in the warm up but as soon as the game starts he goes to jelly, far too nervous and in some games last season you could even see the defenders didn't have much confidence in him either.When have a situation like that then it can run through the whole team.I am not trying to condone the mistakes Mooney has made far from it, but IMO if we keep topping and changing our keepers everytime they make mistakes, our back four will probably suffer as a result of this, its a vicious circle.Take Man U......they can't decide from 1 week to the next who to put in... Howard or Carroll..... result, a probable trophyless season.As gael says "Jimmys gone" so lets move on, and after Tues. result, hopefully things will improve for us on the field for the rest of the season.

jebus
09/04/2005, 5:24 PM
Well from reports most of Jimmy's contracted money would have been from apperance fees, which when you're stuck on the bench adds up to a grand total of 0 bucks. I think SLK has made a good point, and reasoned it well as to the training situation so I don't need to go into that, but as for showing the club some loyalty, why should he?? what sort of loyalty did O'Connor, Drew etc. show him by going out and buying a replacement keeper without a) considering that we already had a quality keeper and didn't need to buy another 'quality' keeper and b) Mooney was considered to be the first choice keeper straight away, without even giving Fyffe a chance to show the new management what he had to offer. Just another one of the old crowd that was treated badly by the new regime

Stevo Da Gull
09/04/2005, 10:28 PM
As far as the training goes I believe that earlier on this season Arsenal let the outta cantract Emannuel Petit train with them soley (spelling?) for the benefits of his fitness.
Good result again lads, and a clean sheet :eek: ;) :)

Nempton
10/04/2005, 3:11 PM
"and a clean sheet"

Noel Mooney was faultless last night. He didn't have to produce any shot stopping save but every cross he came for he dealt with it and it was quite reassuring to see after his sluggish start to the season so far. He showed signs that he might actually be a good goalkeeper after all, so here's hoping he continues the form he showed last night against Dublin City next Friday.

Lim till i die
11/04/2005, 10:01 AM
Noel Mooney was faultless last night. He didn't have to produce any shot stopping save but every cross he came for he dealt with it and it was quite reassuring to see after his sluggish start to the season so far. He showed signs that he might actually be a good goalkeeper after all, so here's hoping he continues the form he showed last night against Dublin City next Friday.

Ya must take back some of my previous bile Noel was rock solid in the Showgrounds :eek: :o and whats more he seems to be a nice guy :D