PDA

View Full Version : 'Pool - Juve

adamcarr
05/04/2005, 4:27 PM
I cant wait for this game! Im not sure why I dont even like either team but I hope Liverpool win it! :confused: It should be a good game, what do others think??

anto1208
05/04/2005, 4:47 PM
people allways go for the underdog , i hope they get a lesson in football and it will keep all the barstool liverpool fans back in the woodwork for a few more weeks

4tothefloor
05/04/2005, 5:45 PM
The bitter blues are back I see....... :p - Ands I suppose you're not a 'barstool' Everon fan? Go to Goodison every second week do we? :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
05/04/2005, 5:53 PM
I'm up for Juve from Holy Catholic Italy you see :D

ollie
05/04/2005, 8:54 PM
2-1 to liverpool in the end.
didn't see the game but its a shock.
still don't think they will progress.

Colie
05/04/2005, 9:22 PM
Glad to see we still have a couple of Irish lads at this stage of the European Cup. Finnansy was good tonight, he's putting a bit of a run together now. I really don't like Liverpool beacuse I think they exude rubbishness but I can't help wanting them to do well with Finnan around.

pete
05/04/2005, 10:56 PM
Big difference between 2-0 & 2-1. Juve dominbated the 2nd half as Liverpool rang out of steam. Hard to see Liverpool progressing now so can assume 1 english left but maybe not for long.

anto1208
06/04/2005, 8:17 AM
i thought liverpool did really well ,garcia got a screamer , thats hard for me to admitt :D :D .

but juve had a defo penelty turned down del piero had a perfectly good goal ruled out , and they hit the post . but fair play to liverpool they took the game to them played nice and high up the pitch kept the pressure on it was nt untill the second half that juve took controll

nice to see the liverpool fans booing & shouting during the minutes silence for the 39 italians ,

anto1208
06/04/2005, 8:18 AM
The bitter blues are back I see....... :p - Ands I suppose you're not a 'barstool' Everon fan? Go to Goodison every second week do we? :rolleyes:

season ticket holder !so yea im over about twice a month ! god bless ryan air !!

Eire06
06/04/2005, 8:44 AM
the pool gave away that vital away goal and think the will suffer when they go to Italy..
Juve only have to win by 1-0...
And can see them doing that easily in the Delle Alpi...

Come on Juve :D

drinkfeckarse
06/04/2005, 9:05 AM
Finnansy

:eek: :eek: Hope that's not his actual nickname :D

noby
06/04/2005, 9:07 AM
nice to see the liverpool fans booing & shouting during the minutes silence for the 39 italians ,

I heard that myself. Although it seems it came from the juve end. During the minute silence, the kop held up a banner saying 'friendship' or something. A section of the juve fans turned thier back, and booed.
Fair enough, I would say. It may have been a bit much for them to say 'cheers lads, lets just forget about what happened'.

As for the match, 'pool got off to a flier, and had a great first 30 minutes. Yes, they were lucky with the disallowed goal, and the one off the post, but after all that, and some good saves, Carson goes and does a Dudek. That away goal might be the clincher for juve. Should be an interesting 2nd leg.

anto1208
06/04/2005, 9:22 AM
I heard that myself. Although it seems it came from the juve end. During the minute silence, the kop held up a banner saying 'friendship' or something. A section of the juve fans turned thier back, and booed.
Fair enough, I would say. It may have been a bit much for them to say 'cheers lads, lets just forget about what happened'.

As for the match, 'pool got off to a flier, and had a great first 30 minutes. Yes, they were lucky with the disallowed goal, and the one off the post, but after all that, and some good saves, Carson goes and does a Dudek. That away goal might be the clincher for juve. Should be an interesting 2nd leg.

they had a camera on the juve fans and they were mainly just clapping the banners , but i cant imagine them being too happy

its harsh to blame carson the ball did take a deflection and bounced weird , i dont like to blame keepers especially young ones like him coz if a keeper makes an error its a goal every other player can get away with it

Macy
06/04/2005, 9:23 AM
Think it was Juve fans, and tbh don't really blame them. Particularly the spin put on events that night by the club and the sections of the UK media. Interesting to hear the Morning Ireland presenter put in his place yesterday morning.

I'd say the scousers are in for a shock when they go to Turin, given that when I was there with United back in the mid 90's they were looking to avenge '85 with United fans.

Dotsy
06/04/2005, 9:24 AM
i thought liverpool did really well ,garcia got a screamer , thats hard for me to admitt :D :D .

but juve had a defo penelty turned down del piero had a perfectly good goal ruled out , and they hit the post . but fair play to liverpool they took the game to them played nice and high up the pitch kept the pressure on it was nt untill the second half that juve took controll

Read the report in the Irish Times today. It wasn't the Liverpool fans booing, it was a section of the Juve fans who were unhappy that some of their fans applauded the banner that was displayed on the Kop with Amicizia (friendship) on it. The ref cut the minutes silence short because of it. Also when a group of fans from both clubs approached the Juve fans carrying a banner with the word Memory and Frienship in Italian the first 10 or so rows of Juve fans in the stand turned their backs.

Fair play to Liverpool. Juventus are much the better team but at least Liverpool showed some balls in bringing the game to them in the first half and getting two fantastic goals They were lucky with the penalty and offside decision but that doesn't detract from their performance. Pity they ran out of steam a bit in the second half but I thought they managed to pick it up again when Nunez came on for Baros. Finnan had another excellent game (apart from one misplaced pass in the second half). JUve must be favourites at this stage with the way goal but if Liverpool show the same conviction in Turin that they showed during the first half last night they are in with a chance. Hopefully Alonso will get a run out next weekend against Man City in adavnce of the game in Turin. Whatever happens I think they are moving in the right direction under Benitez.

roboyle
06/04/2005, 9:36 AM
In a way, the display pre-match last night was kinda like the Sheffield police authority asking for 'friendship' with the Liverpool fans - thought maybe a sign of 'sorry' or something would've gone down better...

Anyway, the response was pretty emphatic (sp?):
http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/4/42/428/428038/juve_epa.jpg

KK77
06/04/2005, 9:38 AM
Read the report in the Irish Times today. It wasn't the Liverpool fans booing, it was a section of the Juve fans who were unhappy that some of their fans applauded the banner that was displayed on the Kop with Amicizia (friendship) on it. The ref cut the minutes silence short because of it. Also when a group of fans from both clubs approached the Juve fans carrying a banner with the word Memory and Frienship in Italian the first 10 or so rows of Juve fans in the stand turned their backs.

Fair play to Liverpool. Juventus are much the better team but at least Liverpool showed some balls in bringing the game to them in the first half and getting two fantastic goals They were lucky with the penalty and offside decision but that doesn't detract from their performance. Pity they ran out of steam a bit in the second half but I thought they managed to pick it up again when Nunez came on for Baros. Finnan had another excellent game (apart from one misplaced pass in the second half). JUve must be favourites at this stage with the way goal but if Liverpool show the same conviction in Turin that they showed during the first half last night they are in with a chance. Hopefully Alonso will get a run out next weekend against Man City in adavnce of the game in Turin. Whatever happens I think they are moving in the right direction under Benitez.

Well said mate especially about them moving in the right direction under Benitez

Junior
06/04/2005, 9:59 AM
Initially I though the noise during the minutes silence was just the fact that the Juve fans were clapping throughout it (something which I believe is done on the continent, when commemorating an event, rather than a minutes silence). However, from the above picture a fair number of Juve fans were far from happy about it.

I definitely think we should do away with minutes silences and have a minutes round of applause - can stop the muppets around from spoiling it.

Stuttgart88
06/04/2005, 10:01 AM
was I imagining it or did Venables say at half-time that "that wasn't a fast tempo, it was a speed tempo"?

Anyway, listened to 90% of the game on 5 Live and watched the ITV pictures. Can't listen to ITV.

Roo69
06/04/2005, 10:10 AM

But in almost every country on the continent when a minutes silence is being had they actually do clap for it, they don't stay silent like in Ireland or England. Maybe some confussion here from the times ?

Dotsy
06/04/2005, 10:18 AM
Sounded to me on the TV that there was some booing and not just clapping. Not judging the Juve fans here. Even after 20 years I'm sure its hard for some of them to forgive what happened. That's fair enough in my book. BUt I think the majority of Liverpool fans and people in the city are genuinely sorry for what happened and displayed that admirably since the tie was announced. There were alot of organised events in the city over the last few days not just those at the match last night.

razor
06/04/2005, 10:43 AM
Read the report in the Irish Times today. It wasn't the Liverpool fans booing, it was a section of the Juve fans who were unhappy that some of their fans applauded the banner that was displayed on the Kop with Amicizia (friendship) on it. The ref cut the minutes silence short because of it. Also when a group of fans from both clubs approached the Juve fans carrying a banner with the word Memory and Frienship in Italian the first 10 or so rows of Juve fans in the stand turned their backs. Was sat about 20 yards away from the Juve end and this is exactly what happened.
When the ref blew his whistle, the Kop held up the placards and a section of the Juve fans started applauding, whether they were applauding as they do on the continent or for the gesture i don't know but the first 10 rows or so were not happy with this and turned around and started berating their fellow fans. The stadium announcer said the minutes silence was for the memory of the Pope, mentioned nothing about Heysel. A lot of Liverpool fans are worried about Turin next week, only the hardcore will travel.

Junior
06/04/2005, 10:57 AM
Was sat about 20 yards away from the Juve end and this is exactly what happened.
When the ref blew his whistle, the Kop held up the placards and a section of the Juve fans started applauding, whether they were applauding as they do on the continent or for the gesture i don't know but the first 10 rows or so were not happy with this and turned around and started berating their fellow fans. The stadium announcer said the minutes silence was for the memory of the Pope, mentioned nothing about Heysel. A lot of Liverpool fans are worried about Turin next week, only the hardcore will travel.

know a few bhoys who travelled to Turin with Celtic in the early 80's many buses were attacked and a lot of Celtic fans slashed etc...

I went myself in 2001 with Celtic and there wasn't a hint of trouble.

Hope everything goes off peacefully next week.

Schumi
06/04/2005, 12:35 PM
I assumed it was the Juve fans booing minute's silence. Can't say I blame them either, the issue has been seriously whitewashed in England.

Closed Account 2
06/04/2005, 2:05 PM
Yeah on seeing the minutes silence and messages (http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/LPE102040515_1024x768.jpg) etc, some Juventus fans were not happy (http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/4/42/428/428038/juve_epa.jpg).

Thought Liverpool were very good on the night, given the standard of opposition, one of the best performances of an English team in the Champions League for years. After the away goal you fear for them in second leg tho.