PDA

View Full Version : Ben Burgess comeback

tetsujin1979
05/04/2005, 2:20 PM
from hullcityfc.net
Not saying he could be a star striker, but could definately come in as a squad player, especially if Hull get promoted

It's been a long 11 months for Ben Burgess but most of that frustration and disappointment ebbed away last night as he made his comeback in the reserves.

The big striker was given the final 26 minutes in City's 5-2 victory at Rotherham and he admits it was a great feeling.

"It's what I've been working towards for a long time and to be out there on the pitch again was tremendous," he told www.hullcityafc.net

"I was nervous and excited at the same time. In a way, it was like making my professional debut all over again!

"But once I was out there, all of that disappeared. I managed to get a couple of tackles in which helped my confidence a lot.

"My fitness felt pretty good as well, although when I came on it was 5-2 and with the game being over the pace wasn't as frenetic as it might have been.

"Really, I need to thank our physio, Simon Maltby, for getting me back to where I'm at now.

"Without him, I probably would have struggled."

Having got that first return out of the way, Burgess has his eye on another run-out when the Tigers' reserves go to Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow (Wednesday, KO 2pm at Hillsborough).

Beyond that, his target is to obviously force his way into the first team picture but accepts he'll have to be patient.

"I'd love to be involved with the first team again before the end of the season but that's down to the gaffer, not me," he added.

"To be honest, with us being second in the table maybe the lads don't need me at the moment!

"Seriously though, playing first team football again would be brilliant.

"But I've come a long way and am aware that I need to be patient."

Stuttgart88
05/04/2005, 2:37 PM
I'd forgotten about him.

He's a big guy too which we could do with. From a squad perspective we could use a competent big guy to complement what we have. Alan Lee seems to have gone backwards since he scored a bagful a couple of years ago.

Tuff Paddy just pointed out how we never seem to have any strikers but in the last few years a few have been seemingly on the verge of making a step up but it hasn't happened for one reason or another: Sadlier, Reddy, Burgess, Jonathan Walters, Lee...

stojkovic
05/04/2005, 4:29 PM
He was great in The Snapper.

barglee
05/04/2005, 4:44 PM
was that his brother Georgie

Irish_Praha
05/04/2005, 5:38 PM
I was wondering why I hadn't seen him score anything this season :o