04/04/2005, 8:09 PM
All Over - Final score

Longford 2 - 1 Linfield

Buller
04/04/2005, 8:18 PM
It was live on Setanta sports!!!

higgins
04/04/2005, 8:24 PM
Poor game I thought. Defenders on both sides were really really poor Linfield in the first and Longford in the second. Not as many long balls as against Glentoran but still too many aimless hoofs.

I think Linfield were the better team overall but fair play to hanging on to the win. We cant let a team from the North win this one.

De Town
04/04/2005, 8:37 PM
Poor game I thought. Defenders on both sides were really really poor Linfield in the first and Longford in the second. Not as many long balls as against Glentoran but still too many aimless hoofs.
We defended reallt well I thought :confused: Dealt with nearly everything they threw at us.

I think Linfield were the better team overall but fair play to hanging on to the win. We cant let a team from the North win this one.
We played some lovely football. Wasnt impressed with Linfield at all. Our problem was that we were letting them come onto us for the whole of the 2nd half.

iceman
04/04/2005, 8:40 PM
Did'nt see the game - what was Mylers goal like?

De Town
04/04/2005, 8:41 PM
Did'nt see the game - what was Mylers goal like?
Brilliant. Dessie swung a great ball in from the right and Myler volleyed it into the far bottom corner.

Slash/ED
04/04/2005, 8:45 PM
Neither side were impressive imo. Both teams had some very wayward passing and too much aimless stuff espically from Longford, but Linfields defence was hopeless whereas Longford, right back to the keeper, defended quite well. For all their pressure Linfield had very few clear cut chances.

The ref also seemed to give everything Linfields way including some blatantly obvious corner kick/goal kick decisions that were truly bizzare. A good game drama wise but lacking quality imo.

harry crumb
04/04/2005, 9:09 PM
I thought Longford played excellent stuff at times. Myler's goal was class. Linfield put in some "dirty" challenges alright and should have had 2 players sent off.

Paisley scored for Longford against Linfield....who would have thought?

Longfordian
05/04/2005, 4:34 AM

Nope, don't agree, thought we did enough to win it and the Linfield folk I met afterwards thought so too. I agree it wasn't a tremendous game but we put together some good stuff at times and the win meant everything to us, hence a bit of nervousness from us at two nil up. I believe their No. 16 (Duggan?) was caught on camera elbowing Barrett in the face, wonder if there's any come back on that?

thecorner
05/04/2005, 7:19 AM
We cant let a team from the North win this one.

team from the north and shels ;)

Maz
05/04/2005, 8:05 AM
It wasnt a brilliant game but I thought we were the better team certainly in 1st half granted when 2-0 up they started to plug away but the defence and Digger was great
Sean Prunty was unlucky in the 5th min could have got his name on the score sheet but it wasnt to be. Well done to Paisley with the header though.
Mylers goal was superb, great cross from Dessie and a wonderful finish.
There was a great atmosphere for once in Flancare Park, long may it continue and well done to all the Linfield supporters that travelled for the game

Wiseguy
05/04/2005, 9:10 AM
I didn't think it was a great game quality wise but the atmosphere was quite tense and edgy.Linfield were terrible at the back but were very lively in midfield and tried to knock it about a bit.I don't think we played out of our skins but it was a marked improvement on previous performances but it was the result that was important last night.I have no doubt we can get out of the group but we need to step it up another gear.The referee was shocking and bottled to many decisions.The elbow on Barrett was a disgrace.His decision to award a throw in to Linfield after Sean Prunty was nearly killed was the funniest i have seen since John Stacey's decision to move the ball instead of the wall.I know Longford people whinge about referees alot but some of them defo have it in for Longford and i'm not imagining that.Generally the Linfield fans were great but i was under the impression that Union Jacks and St. Georges cross were banned from these games.The singing of god save the queen and rule britannia were not in the spirit of the game and racially abusing Eric Lavine is unacceptable.Those responcible only let themselves and their club down and are not wanted in football.
On a seperate note i don't think there was 650 Linfield fans at the match.If their was 200 or so were either hiding,out at the chipper van or in the toilet.

pete
05/04/2005, 10:49 AM
Saw last 15mins of 1st half & was entertaining enough. 2nd half was poor but also entertianing in its own way. Linfield defended poorly but once again northern team good attacking.

Weather was absolutely muck & pity ther Linfield fans out in it. Could see some sort of shankill union jack in 2nd half which didn't seem to be in the spirit of the games,

I think the Setanta Cup games have been great tv so far. Fair dues to Linfiedl managers comments on tv after the game.

paudie
05/04/2005, 6:17 PM
Anybody else see Tom the Gom in the crowd?

Saw him about 15 minutes in. He was on the sideline to the right of the stand as you looked at it on TV.

Good to see him still making his trips around the country.

Longfordian
05/04/2005, 6:20 PM
He's been at all our games so far this season, he got a lift to Belfast with Pat Dolan.

A face
05/04/2005, 6:51 PM
Fair dues to Linfield managers comments on tv after the game.

What were they ... What was said ??

Éanna
05/04/2005, 7:49 PM
Anybody else see Tom the Gom in the crowd?

Saw him about 15 minutes in. He was on the sideline to the right of the stand as you looked at it on TV.

Good to see him still making his trips around the country.
he was giving out to a few of us before the game telling us to behave, that we disgraced ourselves the last time and all this. the usual rubbish from that loon. I'd love to hear the conversation himself and Dolan had on the way to Belfast :D

Longfordian
05/04/2005, 9:09 PM
Room 101 stuff really, being stuck in a car all the way to Belfast with Tom the gom and Pat Dolan..Christ almighty, i'd be jumping out the window.

pete
05/04/2005, 10:55 PM
Room 101 stuff really, being stuck in a car all the way to Belfast with Tom the gom and Pat Dolan..Christ almighty, i'd be jumping out the window.

I'm sure that would be some bizarre conversation alright.

:eek:

CuanaD
06/04/2005, 6:51 AM
What were they ... What was said ??

Linfield Manager commented on how well looked after they were - Longford Club & fans had treated them perfectly; atmosphere was great; also praised Setanta for the Competition, said its great for football & hopes Setanta keep it going :ball:

Didnd have a bad word to say about anybody :p

CuanaD
06/04/2005, 6:57 AM
Have to say, the Setanta presentation was top class. A couple of blips with the sound fade up/down, but overall, they really add to the occasion IMO. The interviews & stuff after the game I liked in particular - lots of time; unlike RTE where you are lucky to get 5 minutes (they try to get rid of the match to show something 'decent' :mad: )

:ball:

CuanaD
06/04/2005, 9:50 AM
Here's a link to the Setanta site, with the quotes from the Linfield Manager:

http://www.setanta.com/content/setanta/website.nsf/systemcontent/newsarticle?open&articleid=17114bed456e1e5880256fd900713f7d&pageid=ba73bba9967c8bcc80256fc5003af91d&