PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Thursday, 15th November 2018 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3

Closed Account
06/11/2018, 11:02 AM
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-mnt-provisional-squad-selected-for-double-header

Ireland MNT: Provisional squad selected for double header

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill was at SSE Airtricity HQ to unveil a provisional squad for the international friendly against Northern Ireland (November 15) at Aviva Stadium and the UEFA Nations League clash with Denmark (November 19).

6th Nov 2018

Both Stephen Ward (knee) and Jonathan Walters (Achilles) are ruled out, but the duo of Seamus Coleman (foot) and Robbie Brady (ankle) return to the squad following respective injuries.

There are first senior call-ups for Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Jimmy Dunne (Hearts), Ryan Manning (Rotherham United) and Michael Obafemi (Southampton).

Kelleher previously trained with the squad in Wales following the first UEFA Nations League game in Cardiff, while Dunne and Manning were recently involved in Noel King's Under-21 squad. Obafemi is an U-19 international, who has made two Premier League appearances so far this season.

Midfielder Glenn Whelan will lead Ireland out as captain against Northern Ireland for what will be his 85th senior appearance. The Aston Villa man will not be part of the squad for the Denmark game.

The Ireland squad will report into camp on Sunday, November 11 ahead of the Northern Ireland game on Thursday, November 15. They will then depart for Aarhus on Saturday, November 17 to prepare for their final UEFA Nations League game away to Denmark on Monday, November 19.

The final squad will be confirmed ahead of training on Monday, November 12 at the FAI National Training Centre.

Tickets are selling well for the Northern Ireland game, so supporters are encouraged to purchase now to avoid disappointment. Available now from Ticketmaster.ie
(https://www.ticketmaster.ie/three-international-friendly-republic-of-ireland-dublin-11-15-2018/event/18005535A63D3EA4?artistid=1123642&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11)
Republic of Ireland Provisional Squad
Goalkeepers:
Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough),
Colin Doyle (Hearts),
Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool),
Sean McDermott (Kristiansund BK)

Defenders:
Seamus Coleman (Everton),
Cyrus Christie (Fulham),
Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers),
Richard Keogh (Derby County),
Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion),
Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United),
Kevin Long (Burnley),
Jimmy Dunne (Hearts*),
John Egan(Sheffield United),
Enda Stevens (Sheffield United),
Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers),
Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers),
Greg Cunningham (Cardiff City)

Midfielders:
Robbie Brady(Burnley),
Jeff Hendrick (Burnley),
Harry Arter (Cardiff City*),
Conor Hourihane(Aston Villa),
Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa),
David Meyler (Reading),
Alan Browne (Preston North End),
Shaun Williams (Millwall),
Richie Towell(Rotherham United*),
Ryan Manning (Rotherham United*),
Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City),
James McClean (Stoke City)

Forwards:
Shane Longi (Southampton),
Michael Obafemi (Southampton),
Scott Hogan (Aston Villa),
Sean Maguire (Preston North End),
Callum Robinson (Preston North End),
Aiden O'Brien (Millwall),
Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth)

*Indicates the player is on loan

tetsujin1979
06/11/2018, 11:19 AM
I'm glad to see Obafemi get a call up, but the cynical view is that it's only so he can get a brief run out against Denmark to tie him to the national side.

Diggs246
06/11/2018, 11:29 AM
Did any jouro ask about Dan Crowley?

Delighted Kelleher and Ofafemi are there, it will break my heart is Ofafemi pulls out

zero
06/11/2018, 11:56 AM
I'm glad to see Obafemi get a call up, but the cynical view is that it's only so he can get a brief run out against Denmark to tie him to the national side.

I think it's perhaps time we are a bit cynical given what has happened in the past. However, does naming him in the squad imply he has accepted the call up?

IsMiseSean
06/11/2018, 12:07 PM
I think it's perhaps time we are a bit cynical given what has happened in the past. However, does naming him in the squad imply he has accepted the call up?

Besides getting on the Southampton bench - has Obafemi a good record in their reserves?

Aaron Connolly & Adam Idah (I think) have been banging them in at U23 level - but are overlooked so Obafemi can be cap-tied. It's a shame these things have to be done anymore.

tetsujin1979
06/11/2018, 12:16 PM

posted on Southampton's twitter as well, so I think so

DeLorean
06/11/2018, 12:18 PM
Please turn the teams around, for the love of God. :eek:

Diggs246
06/11/2018, 12:20 PM
posted on Southampton's twitter as well, so I think so

Its will tell us alot if he retweets it himself or if he doesn't

Olé Olé
06/11/2018, 12:36 PM
Kelleher, Dunne, Manning and Obafemi are all great to see in there. Whether they make the cut is another thing.

Crowley and Michael Duffy are two I'm wondering on the status of. The sooner the better for that pair coming in.

tetsujin1979
06/11/2018, 12:37 PM
Please turn the teams around, for the love of God. :eek:
Done

Kelleher, Dunne, Manning and Obafemi are all great to see in there. Whether they make the cut is another thing.

Crowley and Michael Duffy are two I'm wondering on the status of. The sooner the better for that pair coming in.

According to Dan McDonnell, Duffy has declared, but the paperwork hasn't been completed yet

Olé Olé
06/11/2018, 12:38 PM
Besides getting on the Southampton bench - has Obafemi a good record in their reserves?

Aaron Connolly & Adam Idah (I think) have been banging them in at U23 level - but are overlooked so Obafemi can be cap-tied. It's a shame these things have to be done anymore.

I think you're being very cynical. Idah and Connolly have not appeared for their sides at senior league level. Obafemi has. So if he has been deemed worthy of senior action at club level and the other pair haven't then why should they be called up ahead of him?

Olé Olé
06/11/2018, 12:39 PM
Done

According to Dan McDonnell, Duffy has declared, but the paperwork hasn't been completed yet

Cheers Tets. He was electric in the cup final. I think he has a lot to offer for us.

Diggs246
06/11/2018, 12:43 PM
the Crowley thing is bizzare can someone ask MON whats the story is

Diggs246
06/11/2018, 12:45 PM
Its will tell us alot if he retweets it himself or if he doesn't

He retweeted it!

DeLorean
06/11/2018, 12:49 PM
He retweeted it!

Come on Diggs. We've been cut way too deep to hinge our faith on a retweet! :)

Diggs246
06/11/2018, 12:56 PM
Come on Diggs. We've been cut way too deep to hinge our faith on a retweet! :)

true, but it shows something, I'm slightly more confident he will show up.

ArFella
06/11/2018, 1:36 PM

Is this not the second or possibly even 3rd squad where Duffy being excluded has been blamed on paperwork not yet processed? Surely it doesn't take that long and O'Neill is either bull****ting us all to appease the LoI crowd or someone in the FAI hasn't done their job (hypothetically of course, because that would obviously never happen)

IsMiseSean
06/11/2018, 1:53 PM
I think you're being very cynical. Idah and Connolly have not appeared for their sides at senior league level. Obafemi has. So if he has been deemed worthy of senior action at club level and the other pair haven't then why should they be called up ahead of him?

Fair point.
Southampton are a bit of a mess up front this season though. If Connolly was at Southampton - I'm sure he'd have gotten game time this season.
But if it means getting Obafemi on our side - I'm all for it.

Interestingly Connolly tweeted 'what am I seeing' just after the the squad announcement. It's been liked by a few lads from the U19s.

tetsujin1979
06/11/2018, 3:11 PM
Is this not the second or possibly even 3rd squad where Duffy being excluded has been blamed on paperwork not yet processed? Surely it doesn't take that long and O'Neill is either bull****ting us all to appease the LoI crowd or someone in the FAI hasn't done their job (hypothetically of course, because that would obviously never happen)
It can take up to six months, and the problem can just as easily lie with FIFA, or the Northern Ireland FA.

Olé Olé
06/11/2018, 3:42 PM
Fair point.
Southampton are a bit of a mess up front this season though. If Connolly was at Southampton - I'm sure he'd have gotten game time this season.
But if it means getting Obafemi on our side - I'm all for it.

Interestingly Connolly tweeted 'what am I seeing' just after the the squad announcement. It's been liked by a few lads from the U19s.

That's intriguing! I'm sure there's questions on his commitment from those players.

The sooner Connolly gets a run in the Brighton senior side the better. He's on Hughton's radar which is great but I can't see him pushing up the Irish ranks until he gets that exposure.

Also, he wasn't picked for our under 21 side whilst lads playing at Conference level (Quigley, Grego-Cox for a while) were in there. We're not showing a tendency to promote from under 19 to under 21 level so quickly so there won't be a trend forming for under 19 players jumping to senior too soon if that's case, I would say. Obafemi being an exception for a few reasons.

TrapAPony
06/11/2018, 3:57 PM
The sooner Connolly gets a run in the Brighton senior side the better. He's on Hughton's radar which is great but I can't see him pushing up the Irish ranks until he gets that exposure.

Since we are on the topic of Brighton & young Irish players, another player who was on the verge of being a regular in the the Brighton first team squad before injury was Jayson Molumby. Lets hope he gets back to where he was soon enough also.

tetsujin1979
06/11/2018, 4:18 PM
He posted a photo of him wearing a pair of boots on Instagram the other day, might be back in training soon

Olé Olé
06/11/2018, 4:31 PM
Great to hear. Saw him a couple of times and was astounded at how cool he was on the ball for such a young lad. Fingers crossed.

Razors left peg
07/11/2018, 1:50 AM
Lads aren't we most likely looking at a scenario here where Obafemi and the 3 other new lads will most likely be cut when the real squad is announced and will not even make it to Dublin to train?

samhaydenjr
07/11/2018, 2:17 AM

Currently scoring more regularly than Idah and nearly as regularly as Connolly (Note - Idah is 8 months younger than Obafemi and 14 months younger than Connolly and has had far less time in England though). And of course, he now has two Premier League appearances under his belt

That said, I think Obafemi should only be there if 1, O'Neill has spoken to him about his future and Obafemi is ready to commit and won't need time to consider his future and 2, if there is a reasonable chance that he'll actually get a run in the Southampton squad. Otherwise, we are playing silly games that could backfire, making MON look foolish and showing disrespect to other players

Eminence Grise
07/11/2018, 9:56 AM
The optics might make O'Neill keep at least two of them after the cut. He has to be seen to be trying new approaches.

DeLorean
07/11/2018, 10:01 AM
the Crowley thing is bizzare can someone ask MON whats the story is

I saw five minute highlights of Willem II's defeat at Ajax and Crowley was thrown off the ball twice like a little kid. I'm glad he's getting a run of games at a reasonably decent level but I think it's a bit early to call his exclusion from the Ireland squad bizarre. Clearly he's the type of player we could do with and I'd like to see him named in the squad myself, but he's done very little to actually merit it other than saying he's available.

Diggs246
07/11/2018, 10:38 AM
I saw five minute highlights of Willem II's defeat at Ajax and Crowley was thrown off the ball twice like a little kid. I'm glad he's getting a run of games at a reasonably decent level but I think it's a bit early to call his exclusion from the Ireland squad bizarre. Clearly he's the type of player we could do with and I'd like to see him named in the squad myself, but he's done very little to actually merit it other than saying he's available.

He got a 7.06 out of 10 against Ajax, according to this site, (which may or may not be reliable)
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1283427/Preview/Netherlands-Eredivisie-2018-2019-Ajax-Willem-II

DeLorean
07/11/2018, 10:50 AM
He got a 7.06 out of 10 against Ajax, according to this site, (which may or may not be reliable)
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1283427/Preview/Netherlands-Eredivisie-2018-2019-Ajax-Willem-II

He did set up their best chance of the game too, and wasn't substituted, which is always a good sign. I just don't really understand why you think the situation is 'bizarre', yet anyway.

Diggs246
07/11/2018, 10:52 AM
He did set up their best chance of the game too, and wasn't substituted, which is always a good sign. I just don't really understand why you think the situation is 'bizarre', yet anyway.

because we are screaming out loud for a creative player and we have one who bizarrely is not in our squad!

DeLorean
07/11/2018, 11:01 AM
A creative player who has only played a handful of senior matches and has been flip flopping between England and Ireland for years. I'm not sure O'Neill should feel obliged to call him up the second he clicks his fingers. Like I said, overall I'd like him in the squad too, as a sign of intent as much as anything, but I can totally understand why he's not there just yet. I only saw the comments on the other thread now, hopefully we'll get an update on this bizarre situation soon. :)

John83
07/11/2018, 2:26 PM
BURNLEY: Jimmy Dunne (Hearts)
While Burnley are shipping goals for fun in the bottom reaches of the Premier League, they have a 21-year-old Irish defender playing at centre-back for the current leaders of the Scottish Premiership. Former Manchester United youth player Jimmy Dunne has never even played for the Clarets, but his form for the Edinburgh side has just earned him a first call-up by Martin O’Neill. He is understandably desperate to stay there beyond his current loan spell.
https://www.football365.com/news/the-premier-league-loan-players-impressing-elsewhere [Adblocker clickthrough warning]
Josh Cullen also gets a mention.

liamoo11
07/11/2018, 6:58 PM
A creative player who has only played a handful of senior matches and has been flip flopping between England and Ireland for years. I'm not sure O'Neill should feel obliged to call him up the second he clicks his fingers. Like I said, overall I'd like him in the squad too, as a sign of intent as much as anything, but I can totally understand why he's not there just yet. I only saw the comments on the other thread now, hopefully we'll get an update on this bizarre situation soon. :)

Crowley has 42 appearances in top flight in Holland and another 30 in league 1 and Dutch second division. Of course he is going to get knocked off ball at times we are not going to play him as a defensive midfielder he would be our creative option

liamoo11
07/11/2018, 6:59 PM

Crowley has 42 appearances in top flight in Holland and another 30 in league 1 and Dutch second division. Of course he is going to get knocked off ball at times we are not going to play him as a defensive midfielder he would be our creative option

SkStu
08/11/2018, 1:58 AM

That happened a lot to Hoolahan too well into his career. It is what they offer that makes up for that which is more important.

Charlie Darwin
08/11/2018, 4:04 AM
Going by the Liam Kelly situation, O'Neill announced a provisional squad and then contacts players. He was named in the squad for the game last year but notified O'Neill he wouldn't take it up.

Olé Olé
08/11/2018, 7:56 AM
Going by the Liam Kelly situation, O'Neill announced a provisional squad and then contacts players. He was named in the squad for the game last year but notified O'Neill he wouldn't take it up.

Yeah. That's why I guess some of us are clinging to the fact that he retweeted Southampton's tweet about his call up as being an indication of acceptance, when it may well not be. Being called in for any senior international side at Obafemi's age is brilliant recognition, even if it's not the side you want to play for.

DeLorean
08/11/2018, 8:55 AM

That happened a lot to Hoolahan too well into his career. It is what they offer that makes up for that which is more important.

I said I'd like to see him in the squad so it's misleading to take that point in isolation. I just happened to see the highlights so felt it was worth mentioning along with all the praise he's getting. The overall point was that he's done very little yet and it's far from an outrage that he hasn't been included in the squad. He only made his feelings known that he even wanted to be involved a month or two ago. Good point about Hoolahan though.

IsMiseSean
08/11/2018, 1:30 PM
Yeah. That's why I guess some of us are clinging to the fact that he retweeted Southampton's tweet about his call up as being an indication of acceptance, when it may well not be. Being called in for any senior international side at Obafemi's age is brilliant recognition, even if it's not the side you want to play for.

If I recall correctly - didn't Kelly give it the whole 'delighted with my first call-up' tweets etc, when he got named in a provisional squad only to be cut a week later?

tetsujin1979
09/11/2018, 3:45 PM
The Danish squad was announced earlier this week

Stuttgart88
10/11/2018, 9:49 AM
I watched a cracking Sheffield derby last night. Congrats on escaping with a draw Owls fan!

McGoldrick, despite missing an early penalty, was simply superb I thought. Great awareness, athleticism and a silky smooth touch. Very much a more agile and powerful Wes in the role he played.
Stevens was brilliant too. He owned that touchline and is far more assured and confident in that position than McLean. Way more subtle too and he actually had a great understanding with McGoldrick. Lots of gives and gos, decoy runs and great movement inside and out. The dogs on the street can see he's better than McLean in that role and easily above Ward too.

Egan did fine but didn't have much to do. A bit of shirt pulling in each box that he might need to be careful of.

Ollie Norwood, who we'll be against on Thursday, was very good. One crossfield pass in the first half was simply delicious!

O'Neill and McGoldrick need to cop the **** on and get things sorted. McGoldrick just owned the space between the centre circle and the penalty box. He came deep to develop play with great effect. He went off on about 75 to make way for the more muscular Leon Clarke and United's play deteriorated as a result.

Gather round
10/11/2018, 12:13 PM
Ollie Norwood, who we'll be against on Thursday, was very good. One crossfield pass in the first half was simply delicious!

He's suspended for the Austria game so left out of our squad.

seanfhear
10/11/2018, 1:34 PM
I watched a cracking Sheffield derby last night. Congrats on escaping with a draw Owls fan!

McGoldrick, despite missing an early penalty, was simply superb I thought. Great awareness, athleticism and a silky smooth touch. Very much a more agile and powerful Wes in the role he played.
Stevens was brilliant too. He owned that touchline and is far more assured and confident in that position than McLean. Way more subtle too and he actually had a great understanding with McGoldrick. Lots of gives and gos, decoy runs and great movement inside and out. The dogs on the street can see he's better than McLean in that role and easily above Ward too.

Egan did fine but didn't have much to do. A bit of shirt pulling in each box that he might need to be careful of.

O'Neill and McGoldrick need to cop the **** on and get things sorted. McGoldrick just owned the space between the centre circle and the penalty box. He came deep to develop play with great effect. He went off on about 75 to make way for the more muscular Leon Clarke and United's play deteriorated as a result.
Maybe McGoldrick doesn’t want to play for us anymore .

Closed Account
10/11/2018, 7:23 PM
Shane Long ruled out, going in for surgery

tetsujin1979
10/11/2018, 10:42 PM
Obafemi to start?

liamoo11
11/11/2018, 12:22 AM
Obafemi to start?

I would definitely start him against the north . Maguire and Hogan have been awful poor so far in their very limited senior Irish careers so cant have any complaints. O brien has been far more impressive than either of them but hasn't played much in the last month. Robinson has clearly been having a fantastic season so far for club and country. Doubt Curtis will make the final cut but clearly had had super season.

tetsujin1979
11/11/2018, 12:37 AM
Renamed thread for the friendly, will spin any discussion on the Denmark game following it into its own thread

tetsujin1979
11/11/2018, 1:47 AM
Ringmahon coach reveals Liverpool keeper Kelleher started up front as the team's top scorer (https://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/Ringmahon-coach-reveals-Liverpool-keeper-Kelleher-started-up-front-as-the-teams-top-scorer-d7cea2e9-96d5-4998-a485-bb41ba81495b-ds)

CAOIMHÍN Kelleher was making his name as talented, goalscoring striker when the opportunity he truly craved finally arrived.

In the days leading up to an important fixture in Ringmahon Rangers’ bid to avoid relegation from the Cork Schoolboys League U14 Premier Division, manager Eddie Harrington was dealt a blow as his first choice goalkeeper decided to quit.

Closed Account
11/11/2018, 2:23 AM
Renamed thread for the friendly, will spin any discussion on the Denmark game following it into its own thread
My bad, not only did I **** of Del with the team names back to front, I ignored the Northern Ireland game. I've lost foot.ie points.

samhaydenjr
11/11/2018, 4:45 AM
Obafemi to start?

I would definitely start him against the north . Maguire and Hogan have been awful poor so far in their very limited senior Irish careers so cant have any complaints. O brien has been far more impressive than either of them but hasn't played much in the last month. Robinson has clearly been having a fantastic season so far for club and country. Doubt Curtis will make the final cut but clearly had had super season.

Limited is an understatement - 90 minutes for Hogan, 99 for Maguire - I wouldn't omit them based on not being great in that time. Surely the most natural pairing up front, now that Long is injured, would be Robinson and Maguire - Robinson is our form striker (low bar at the moment, admittedly) and has impressed in his four caps, while Maguire has been scoring regularly for Preston when not injured, plus he'd have a clubmate alongside him this time out.

As regards Obafemi, first MON needs to check that he doesn't need to "consider his options" - if he's ready to commit, then perhaps give him 15-20 minutes against the North and maybe a few minutes at the end of the Denmark game, to put eligibility issues to bed but, more importantly, to give him a taste of competitive senior international football, so that he won't be completely wet behind the ears if he continues to get EPL games between now and March. I think the timelines are too tight to be considering him as a starter for the qualifiers proper so we should be thinking of using him off the bench, unless he goes on a scoring spree for Southampton between now and then

Sidenote - MON should also be following Aaron Connolly's progress closely and let him know that he's ready to promote him to the first team if he breaks into the Brighton first team - as part of this he should be in touch with Hughton regarding his plans for Connolly