PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Kelly

Reality Bites
04/04/2005, 8:33 AM
Well taken Goal by the Irish U-21 for Spurs after his substitute appearance, it seems this guys star is rising at Spurs, the fans love him, i have seen him play a few times and i was well impressed likes to break forward from the right back position and a very strong tackler also, he has a big future, and should now be pushing Stephen Carr hard for a place in the Irish Squad!

Stuttgart88
04/04/2005, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't consider him just yet for international action, but it's great to see him doing well. Great finish for his goal.

Peadar
04/04/2005, 10:15 AM
the fans love him

I haven't heard anything too positive from any Spurs fan about him.
They think he's prone to defensive errors.

a very strong tackler

How he didn't break Shaun Wright-Phillips' leg, I'll never know.
It was an outrageous tackle and serious injury was only avoided, surely, due to the elasticity of SWP.

beautifulrock
04/04/2005, 10:26 AM
The Spurs fans i know, 5 season ticket holders, none of which have any green tinted glasses rate him highly. However, I do not think he is ready yet for the step up to the international stage.

Reality Bites
04/04/2005, 10:35 AM
Iv bigged him up on here before and am going to do so again, superb when he came on yesterday, got his 1st ever goal and seems to get better with every game [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Stephen Kelly JohnSPUR - 392nd post - 3 Apr 2005 20:44
Fully agree. Had a wicked game yesterday, and apart from Taylor I would have given him man of the match. [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Stephen Kelly Jol-ly_Carrickter's_Gardner - 899th post - 3 Apr 2005 20:48
Yeah id say so, even at centre back when he was asked to a job when Naybet limped off he still looked assured [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Stephen Kelly JohnSPUR - 396th post - 3 Apr 2005 20:49
I mean for a youngster he looks so very confident. Carr who? [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Stephen Kelly BenWCarroll!!!-loves-Spurs!!! - 430th post - 3 Apr 2005 21:02
i have always liked and rated kelly, played well again, like to see him play more! keep it going lad! [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Stephen Kelly Defo'te - 17th post - 3 Apr 2005 21:08
Agreed. In my opinion he gets better every game. [reply] [Complain about this post]

I think Peadar theses are all fairly positive from Spurs fans -606 forum.

Peadar
04/04/2005, 10:36 AM
5 season ticket holders.

I wasn't aware that a Spurs Season Ticket was comparible to a UEFA Coaching Badge! :rolleyes:

I hope Kelly matures into the player he can be but at the moment, he's only suitable for mid to lower table, Premier League clashes.

I think Peadar theses are all fairly positive from Spurs fans -606 forum.

The opinions on football forums count for little.
Lets wait and see how he progresses before getting excited as easily as the glory starved girls of WHL.

Condex
04/04/2005, 1:21 PM
Saw him against Fulham 2 months ago and thought he was the best player on the field.

tiktok
04/04/2005, 1:31 PM
I wasn't aware that a Spurs Season Ticket was comparible to a UEFA Coaching Badge! :rolleyes:

Martin Jol probably has one, he seems happy enough to play him :D :D

tetsujin1979
04/04/2005, 3:43 PM
Martin Jol probably has one, he seems happy enough to play him :D :D

Chris Hughton defeinately has one, and he's only too happy to let him play!

brine3
04/04/2005, 6:53 PM
Stephen Kelly is more of a Spurs regular than Andy Reid or Robbie Keane, so I don't see why he shouldn't be in the squad when the other two are.

FarBeag
04/04/2005, 9:48 PM
He has lots of potential but i would give him a little more time until i would consider him for the senior squad, give him a full season of regular football and see what we think then.

Kevin77
05/04/2005, 12:28 AM
Come on lads, this is a typical forum attitude. Kelly ahead of Carr or Finnan? No chance. Carr has been one of the top full backs in the Premier League for the last six or seven years (aside from lengthy period of injury). Finnan has been one of Liverpool’s most consistent performers there this season.

Until Kelly has a full season or two under his belt, starts setting the Premier League on fire or either Carr or Finnan gets injured, he will remain at best third choice right back (I’d actually have Delap ahead of him for his experience in the Premier League).

Peadar
05/04/2005, 11:59 AM
Does anyone ever wonder how we manage to consistently produce loads of defenders and never any strikers?

Is that not true for most countries?

Stuttgart88
05/04/2005, 12:50 PM
I still think Richie Sadlier was really selfish to retire just like that. OK, so he'd have had to get his hips replaced by the age of 30 and would have had a permanent limp, not to mention the pain, but didn't he know we needed someone with a bit of height upfront?

NeilMcD
05/04/2005, 1:38 PM
Ledley King is delighted to see the continued progress of Stephen Kelly - not least because he's a fellow product of our Academy system.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 skipper scored his first senior goal for the club in Saturday's 1-1 draw at Birmingham City.

Dublin-born 'Steo', 21, now has 27 appearances to his name having made his Premiership debut on Boxing Day 2003 - he might have played more this season but for some ill fortune with injuries.

Ledley, who also came through our youth ranks, insisted he knew straight away Stephen was up to the task in the top flight.

"He gets better and better," said skipper Ledley. "From his first game you could tell he had what it takes to be a player. The more games he's played the more he's improved.

"He's looking brilliant at the moment and he gets into some great positions from right-back. He showed a cool head at Birmingham and it was a great finish for the goal.

"Everyone was delighted for him. Steo's a great lad and he's played really well since he came into the squad. He's been unlucky a few times when he's got in this season through injury.

"He came up through the Academy and that's always great for the club."

ken foree
05/04/2005, 2:06 PM
I still think Richie Sadlier was really selfish to retire just like that. OK, so he'd have had to get his hips replaced by the age of 30 and would have had a permanent limp, not to mention the pain, but didn't he know we needed someone with a bit of height upfront?

taking the p!ss surely

Stuttgart88
05/04/2005, 2:17 PM
taking the p!ss surely
Completely.

ken foree
05/04/2005, 2:31 PM
Completely.

ah phew

tetsujin1979
05/04/2005, 4:13 PM
Pamarot set to be out for 9 months with torn cruciates according to sky sports. Not taking any joy from such a terrible injury, but it should mean Kelly is first choice right full for the forseeable future.

ken foree
05/04/2005, 4:47 PM
Pamarot set to be out for 9 months with torn cruciates according to sky sports. Not taking any joy from such a terrible injury, but it should mean Kelly is first choice right full for the forseeable future.

hmm i hope he continues to improve and doesn't get TOO settled (with that news)

Reality Bites
11/04/2005, 8:19 AM
Another impressive display from Kelly yesterday against Newcastle, and Andy Reid is really starting to shine in the premiership!

Stuttgart88
11/04/2005, 8:34 AM
Had the radio on while doing some work in the house so couldn't get a handle on how the Irish did. They said Kelly was good but I hardly heard Reid mentioned.

5 Live was highly critical of Robbie late on when he neglected to play, or failed to see, a simple pass to put Reid in on goal.

drummerboy
11/04/2005, 12:40 PM
Turf Paddy – just wondering what sort of reception Robbie Keane got from the Spurs crowd.

Peadar
11/04/2005, 12:56 PM
just wondering what sort of reception Robbie Keane got from the Spurs crowd.

There was a section of the crowd chanting for him to come on during the second half. They eventually got their wish.

drummerboy
11/04/2005, 1:06 PM
Thanks. Just wondering because he seems to get a lot of stick on the Topspurs message board. But then again so do most Spurs players.

eirebhoy
11/04/2005, 1:19 PM
Keane coming on brought one of the biggest cheers of the day (up there with Reid's tackle on Carr). :)

FarBeag
11/04/2005, 2:06 PM
Quote.Tuff Paddy....O'Brien and Carr were steady........

I agree that Carr was steady without been spectacular, but to be fair O'Brien was unpredictable throughout and did make two mistakes one of them which could have been Crucial. I really like O'Brien and he has done everything right for Ireland but he he prone to the odd mistake.Reid still appears to be finding his feet and can play much better. Kelly was excellent.