PDA

View Full Version : zidane to face ireland......maybe

thecorner
03/04/2005, 3:23 PM
Zinedine Zidane formally bid au revoir to international soccer last year, but the French superstar said he is considering coming out of retirement to help his country qualify for the 2006 World Cup.

read more here (http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/04/01/Sports/zidane050401.html)

sligoman
03/04/2005, 3:56 PM
Zinedine Zidane formally bid au revoir to international soccer last year, but the French superstar said he is considering coming out of retirement to help his country qualify for the 2006 World Cup.

read more here (http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/04/01/Sports/zidane050401.html)

Already threads on this and it has since been rubbished by his agent and himself as an April Fool Joke.

OwlsFan
14/04/2005, 3:46 PM
Former France captain Zinedine Zidane has once and for all ended speculation linking him with a possible return to international football by insisting he will never again don the famous blue shirt.

The Real Madrid star announced his retirement last August after 10 years of service for Les Bleus and his absence has been sorely felt ever since.

But Zidane has now stated on his official website:"I will never play with the French team again, that's all."

France currently top their World Cup qualifying group, but the progress of Raymond Domenech's men towards the finals in Germany next summer has been far from smooth with just two wins and four draws from their six qualifying matches.

With concerns mounting over France's recent form, rumours began to emerge Zidane could make a comeback for the potentially crucial World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin on September 7.

Rumours that were fuelled by the 32-year-old's alleged comments in the French press.

"It will probably not happen but to come back (to international action) in Dublin, play at Lansdowne Road in front of 50,000 Irish people, win and leave the team again, yes, it would suit me. I think I would like it," he said.

However, Zidane, who claims that his comments were misconstrued, has ended weeks of speculation by finally admitting he will not be adding to his 92 international caps.

"I am confirming my decision of retiring so there is no reason to start a debate.

"I have heard and read a lot of things but I don't want to come back on them."

Thank heavens for small mercies :D

Green Tribe
14/04/2005, 4:08 PM
Thank f*ck for that!!!!!!!!! :cool: