PDA

View Full Version : Goal of the Season 2018Just saw the

TonyD
29/10/2018, 7:02 PM
Just saw the Soccer Republic contenders there. Some nice strikes. Really like Herys against us, also Duffy against Tallinn, Sadlier in the cup v Longford (can't believe his clearance against Pats was included.) Would like to have seen Darragh Markeys goal again Derry earlier in the year included, as it was something a bit different, beautiful footwork on the edge of the box. Would probably go for Duffy due to the difficulty involved, with Hery a close second.

ToberonaTornado
29/10/2018, 7:57 PM
GOALS >>> https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/1057004441969127424

Duffy or Morris for me with Duffy getting the nod.

micls
29/10/2018, 8:01 PM
Badly missing some team goals here. There's more to great goals than long shots and volleys.

Martinho II
30/10/2018, 5:13 PM
i think duffy will get it for his technique followed by home farms effort..

SkStu
30/10/2018, 5:26 PM
Badly missing some team goals here. There's more to great goals than long shots and volleys.

read the small print - it says blemmers only

patrickccfc
30/10/2018, 5:57 PM
Morris wins this for me, no contest.

Straightstory
31/10/2018, 10:27 AM
Really top quality stuff. It's Morris for me. But love the Cork one from his own penalty area v Pats.

Yossarian
31/10/2018, 10:34 AM
Some great goals there but I think Duffys is the best, the technical ability to hit that ball on the volley with it coming over his head is unbelievable. Morrris would be second.

Dalymountrower
31/10/2018, 10:49 AM
Some great goals there but I think Duffys is the best, the technical ability to hit that ball on the volley with it coming over his head is unbelievable. Morrris would be second.
Agreed.No idea why the Cork goal away to Pats is in it?.

oriel
31/10/2018, 11:12 AM
It was hard to pick from Duffy and Morris imo for the winner, both were excellent efforts, and both big matches. It will be close but I think Duffy for his technique and probably more important game will get the panels vote.

Sadlier v Pats not a contender, good effort from distance, but into an unguarded net.

1. Duffy
2. Morris
3. Sadlier (v Longford)

nigel-harps1954
31/10/2018, 11:32 AM
It was hard to pick from Duffy and Morris imo for the winner, both were excellent efforts, and both big matches. It will be close but I think Duffy for his technique and probably more important game will get the panels vote.

Sadlier v Pats not a contender, good effort from distance, but into an unguarded net.

1. Duffy
2. Morris
3. Sadlier (v Longford)

I'm much of the same opinion, but think Sadlier v Longford actually shades it for me. The perfect sweet strike out of nowhere. Simply unstoppable. Morris a very close second.

mcgonigle
31/10/2018, 12:41 PM
Agreed.No idea why the Cork goal away to Pats is in it?.

Agree with that. I remember hearing about it on my way home from our game and couldn't wait to see it. I've never been so underwhelmed. Good instinct but he basically just booted it upfield towards an empty net

**FrOsTy**
31/10/2018, 1:04 PM
Deveany against Pats for me.

Does brilliant to turn and protect the ball with 1 touch and then riffle a belter into the top corner under pressure.

Great goal.

Philosophizer
31/10/2018, 1:06 PM
Morris for me. All day long...

thebronze14
31/10/2018, 2:16 PM
I'm much of the same opinion, but think Sadlier v Longford actually shades it for me. The perfect sweet strike out of nowhere. Simply unstoppable. Morris a very close second.
They are the two for me but possibly the other way around

TonyD
31/10/2018, 4:37 PM
Agree with that. I remember hearing about it on my way home from our game and couldn't wait to see it. I've never been so underwhelmed. Good instinct but he basically just booted it upfield towards an empty net

Indeed. Am still convinced it was a clearance !

Seems there's not a lot of love for Herys effort. I know it didn't fly into the top corner, but I have to say it was as sweet a strike as Morris, Sadlier etc.

SkStu
31/10/2018, 6:39 PM
Deveany against Pats for me.

Does brilliant to turn and protect the ball with 1 touch and then riffle a belter into the top corner under pressure.

Great goal.

Love that one too. Some touch.

Pablo Escobar
01/11/2018, 11:51 AM
Indeed. Am still convinced it was a clearance !

You don't generally see clearances struck like that with a pretty low trajectory. IMO the intention was there. I don't think that it was the best of the bunch, but it's unfair to Kieran Sadlier to say it wasn't intentional. I think he executed it perfectly.

patrickccfc
01/11/2018, 5:49 PM
You don't generally see clearances struck like that with a pretty low trajectory. IMO the intention was there. I don't think that it was the best of the bunch, but it's unfair to Kieran Sadlier to say it wasn't intentional. I think he executed it perfectly.

I agree, you're not going to see a shot from that distance flying into the top corner, he knew the keeper was out and decided why not, was always going to just roll in.

seand
02/11/2018, 7:50 AM
Sadlier v Pats is not going to win it, but we shouldn't underestimate the quality of the strike- he's clearly meant to shoot and he's scored from 90 yards. Bar a couple of drop kicks from keepers I've never seen a goal scored from within one's own box before. It's the kind of technical ability that will really add quality to Dundalk's bench next season.

marinobohs
02/11/2018, 11:27 AM
Sadlier v Pats is not going to win it, but we shouldn't underestimate the quality of the strike- he's clearly meant to shoot and he's scored from 90 yards. Bar a couple of drop kicks from keepers I've never seen a goal scored from within one's own box before. It's the kind of technical ability that will really add quality to Dundalk's bench next season.

It really is in the eye of the beholder ! I suspect most of the scorers coudnt recreate those goals if they tried 100 times. Sadliers goal is a quality goal because it is unusual and (especially if he meant it) shows great awareness by him. personally, I prefer more intricate team moves to the 'blaster' type goal but each to their own.

DCWA
02/11/2018, 11:33 AM
It really is in the eye of the beholder ! I suspect most of the scorers coudnt recreate those goals if they tried 100 times. Sadliers goal is a quality goal because it is unusual and (especially if he meant it) shows great awareness by him. personally, I prefer more intricate team moves to the 'blaster' type goal but each to their own.

Yep, Sadliers was class and intentional and anybody who thinks a goal from their own box isn’t going to be in contention is clean simple.

Ezeikial
02/11/2018, 3:08 PM
Yep, Sadliers was class and intentional and anybody who thinks a goal from their own box isn’t going to be in contention is clean simple.

It obviously is in contention, whether it wins or is in the top 3 remains to be seen.

It is certainly a rare or even unique goal for an outfield player and that alone puts in the list.

I don't think it will be the winner.