PDA

View Full Version : Bravery required if Kerr is to complete his mission

thejollyrodger
03/04/2005, 11:33 AM
Bravery required if Kerr is to complete his mission
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1370280&issue_id=12293

DION FANNING

THE story of Group Four is a story of France's decline. Since they lost to Senegal on the opening day of the World Cup three years ago, France has retained much of its allure, while losing most of its power. They were many people's favourites for last summer's European Championships but stumbled through the tournament before losing to a more committed Greek side in the quarter-final.

They have managed to retain some aura as they stumble through this group, when, in fact, their collapse should by now have been pronounced fatal. That Raymond Domenech's side are still in contention to qualify for next summer's World Cup in Germany does not make them great survivors - they are bloated and tired, without even the basic pride of champions - but a dangerous indication that the killer instinct is not present in their opponents in the group, including Ireland.

Ireland were the better team in Paris last October. Brian Kerr's side played better football, created the better chances and showed a hunger lacking in the former World and European champions. But they did not win. Ireland celebrated, rejoicing not at the fact of a draw with an ordinary France team, but with the idea of France, the France of Zidane, not the team of Alou Diarra.

It was a satisfactory point, but following Ireland's failure to exhibit the ruthlessness necessary again in Tel Aviv last week and the fact that France seem incapable of beating anybody, it does not appear to have been an evening deserving of such gaiety.

Ireland are the best team in the group and they should go on to win it. They are more organised than Israel, more talented than Switzerland and with a desire to achieve no longer present in the important players for France. But today, they are fourth in the group, although victory against Israel in June will put them top.

But victory against anybody other than the Faroes or Cyprus does not seem possible in this group and Ireland will hope that things change when the Israelis arrive in June.

If they do change, then Ireland will have won without Roy Keane, possible against Cyprus last September, but more difficult against an Israeli side that took great confidence from the result against Ireland and played with more elan against France last Wednesday.

Steven Carr will be suspended for that game as well, but that strengthens Ireland. Carr had another poor game for his country last weekend and his suspension should free Steve Finnan to play in his best position of right-back and allow Andy Reid to play, presuming Kerr has the same squad available to him in June as he had in Tel Aviv.

Kerr's methodical approach has resulted in three points from the tricky away games, but, with the exception of the game in Basle, Ireland deserved more from each match. The Israelis feel that Ireland were the best team in the group, something Kerr commented on last Friday, but over the next five matches that must become more than theory. There was no need for the group to go to the last game, as Kerr now predicts it will, but it may be necessary now.

The team that Kerr sent out in Basle in October 2003 was not his side; the limp manner of defeat told him that he had much to do and the return of Roy Keane helped him travel along that road.

It is now his side and for that reason, he would have expected more of a response to his reported half-time call for more goals in Tel Aviv last Saturday.

Instead, Ireland emerged for the second half, toyed briefly with Israel and then retreated with, most surprisingly for a Kerr team, a lack of invention and cunning at set-pieces.

The early goal undoubtedly changed the approach of the team, but while the passing in the first half was excellent, the problem of a tiring Clinton Morrison and an exhausted Kevin Kilbane ensured that Ireland lost the cutting edge.

Morrison has acknowledged that he cannot begin next season as he seems certain to end this one, on the bench at Birmingham. Stephen Elliott gave glimpses on Tuesday night that he could snatch a goal if sent from the dug-out, but, as ever, Ireland have striking problems. Kerr was right to show loyalty to Kevin Kilbane, but the player has wilted for Everton this season and he could also have been replaced in Tel Aviv but Kerr, betraying his conservative instincts, chose to stick with the team that was clinging to the lead.

There will need to be more adventure in June. Kerr is happy that he has three home games left rather than three away, but Israel will not be as star-struck as they were last Saturday. They have earned a point against Ireland and they may feel they can do it again.

Kerr hopes the Lansdowne Road crowd will prove crucial and he could be right. The manager's objectives are being met and he will feel that Ireland have enough to take care of any visitor to Dublin.

There are convincing reasons for suggesting that even if France fire Raymond Domenech before they travel to Dublin the expected return of Zinedine Zidane would not bring havoc to Ireland's hopes. France struggled at the European Championships simply because the rest of the team expected Zidane to play the football. A nation where expectations were raised in the wake of victories in successive tournaments can't live with him, can't live without him.

But his return may unravel Kerr's plans. There is a great brutality at the heart of all superior sportsmen and teams, a willingness to punish to the point of cruelty any weakness displayed by an opponent. Ireland should have ensured that France's decline was terminal last October and Israel's belief that they can qualify for the World Cup should have been checked last Saturday.

Instead they are both involved, along with Switzerland with whom Ireland still have unfinished business. So far Ireland's methodical approach has brought qualified success (or at least the absence of failure), bravery is now required if Kerr is to complete his mission.

I agree with a lot of what he says about Carr and Kilbane. Kerr isnt a defensive coach, he is a coach which goes out not to lose (in away games anyway). We have done quite well so far, the only really bad display was basel. We should have won the other two away games.

What he says about France is right, they are well past their best, there is no point in building them up. We can beat them (even with zindene) in september and they know it well.

We really have to crush Israel in June though, score enough goals and keep the pressure on them so that they dont come back at us. Its very important to send out a message to the rest of the group that when they come to landsdowne road they can expect to lose

Fergie's Son
03/04/2005, 9:41 PM
First things first. We need to beat Israel in June. Everything else is academic at this point.

Stuttgart88
04/04/2005, 8:32 AM
I'd take 1-0 against Israel right now, no question. Rattle in a few against the Faroes maybe, but again, just make sure we get the win. GD and psychology can come afterwards.

Kerr has said all along that drawing away and winning at home is the key. On that basis I'd say it's pretty obvious Kerr will be less cautious in the home games.

On the topic of set-pieces: it's not "cunning & invention" that's required, just decent deliveries. Even Duff, who has set up so many goals this year from corners or frees wide of the penalty box, put in some awful efforts in Tel Aviv.

Reality Bites
04/04/2005, 9:02 AM
Not a bad article, but has anyone read Paul Howards article in the Sunday Tribune which is alot more cutting and critical of Kerr, to summarise it basically states that the current Irish set-up plays some of the most boring and dull football ever seened, and Kerr manages with Fear, and his conservatism may have caused irrepairable damage to our campaign, if somebody can attach same please, its a good read..

Stuttgart88
04/04/2005, 9:25 AM
Not a bad article, but has anyone read Paul Howards article in the Sunday Tribune which is alot more cutting and critical of Kerr, to summarise it basically states that the current Irish set-up plays some of the most boring and dull football ever seened, and Kerr manages with Fear, and his conservatism may have caused irrepairable damage to our campaign, if somebody can attach same please, its a good read..

So exactly the same points as the Irish bloke in The Guardian. I've seen plenty of Kerr's games. Some have been boring (China, Canada, Russia...), many have been entertaining and some in between. But boring isn't the first adjective that springs to mind.

And unless some of the players are saying that fear is a factor I still haven't seen too much evidence of it being a long term problem. If anything Robbie's endless flicks and dummies smack of a freedom to improvise. Our full backs get forward, we're quick to move the ball wide, we don't lump it long. There were problems in Basle & Tel Aviv but I'm not sure it's right to identify boring football and fear as a trend. If Robbie hadn't been on sedatives against the Faroes we could have won by 6. 3-0 at home to Cyprus was fine by me.

Ruling by fear is one thing, playing without confidence is another. Until this side gets used to winning tough away games they'll never be confident away from home. That's why failing to win, and the way it happened, was even further reason for regret.

I'm fully expecting an enthusistic attacking performance in June, pretty much what we usually see at Lansdowne. Hopefully the same in Faroes too.

thejollyrodger
04/04/2005, 10:14 AM
i read that article in the tribune as well. It liken Kerr to the technocrats of football, Sven , Houlleir, germany. The perfect score is 1-0. Some of it might be true, we lack creativity and excitment. But I wouldnt agree with all of it, I dont think we settle for 1-0. Its just that we cant convert chances.

We have no real creative midfielder, if we had someone alongside RMK it would be a different kettle of fish.

The players have a lot more freedom to play football with Kerr IMO. I dont think they are scared to 'have a go'. I do think though Kerr has drummed into them not to lose away games foremost.

If we beat Israel 2 or even 3 nill at home it will be a different story. It will be all praise. I expect us to do that.

Cowboy
04/04/2005, 11:47 AM
i read that article in the tribune as well. It liken Kerr to the technocrats of football, Sven , Houlleir, germany. .

Thats an interesting observation as Houllier is a good mate of Kerrs

tetsujin1979
04/04/2005, 12:21 PM
Thats an interesting observation as Houllier is a good mate of Kerrs

Didn't Houllier have him earmarked to take over the academy at Liverpool at one point?

thejollyrodger
04/04/2005, 1:40 PM
YEah, there was a mention of that in one of the articles AFAIK but its just opinion. I dont think Kerr is as bad as houlier, its just that he is cautious away from home. A lot of what the papers are saying is to really go for it now. We have done ok so far but we really could be home and dry by now.

Kerr does give a lot of freedom to players to express themselves, he has brought Morrison on heaps.

The big test will come in June and the rest of the home games. If we win all of them there will be little compliants. But we really should take the bull by the horns in future competitions and pick up more 3 pointers on the road.

OwlsFan
04/04/2005, 4:32 PM
Never read Fanning. That guy has more Agendas that a millenium of AGMS.

Reality Bites
04/04/2005, 4:40 PM
Explain please Agendas, I know he was well up Roy Keanes arse, but i have always found him Mild in his criticism a bit like say Philip Quinn (Indo) now retired, he is no where near as cutting as John O'Brien or Paul Howard.