PDA

View Full Version : Dan Murray

Fair_play_boy
02/04/2005, 7:08 PM
How much longer can Rico afford to keep Dan in the team?
Dan needs to sort himself out. He is having a nightmare season so far, IMO. OK, he is able to defend well in the air, but his marking is poor, he has two left feet, and he appears to have reverted to the worst habits of hoofing and hoping, a game plan that was starting to fade away late last season.
Even in his good games, he makes too many mistakes. So far this season he has not cost us a goal, which is down to good luck. The Longford forward who received a "pass" from Dan on the edge of the penalty area was too surprised to shoot, by the looks of things.
If Rico does decide to drop Dan, who can play in that crucial position? Methinks a new signing is wanted urgently.

adamd164
02/04/2005, 7:45 PM
For me, 2 guys can come in -

- he ain't gonna risk starting Guthrie
- and Coughlan ain't fit yet.

Counting Crow
02/04/2005, 7:50 PM
Wonder would Colin T fit the role.

It would be nice to have someone with pace at center half. He's a clever player and has excellent skill on the ball. Might compliment Bennett.

He played in defence for a while last season but at full back which didn't suit his style.

Worth a try and I hate having such an excellent player on the bench.

Fair_play_boy
02/04/2005, 9:09 PM
Agreed about the waste keeping Colin on the bench. But you could say that about Greg O'Halloran too. What about putting him on the right mid and bringing Billy Woods into centre half?
By the way, I posted a match report on the Longford game here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=23633&page=5). A bit late I know. :eek:

thecorner
02/04/2005, 9:49 PM
Wonder would Colin T fit the role.

rovers away last year springs to mind :eek:

Éanna
02/04/2005, 10:46 PM
For me, 2 guys can come in -

- he ain't gonna risk starting Guthrie
- and Coughlan ain't fit yet.
They are the only two options really. There's Kevin Murray as well, but I don't think he's up to it at all. I'm getting sick of Dan's performances at this stage- we all know what he's capable of, but he's just not performing. Maybe the captaincy is affecting his game, I dunno but he needs to get himself sorted or he could be set for a long spell on the bench.

adamcarr
02/04/2005, 11:02 PM
How about 3-5-2

----------------Devine----------------

Hoggie---------Benno-----------Danny

Billy---Gamble---Georgie---Colin---Liam

--------Behan---Super Kev-------

Shedender
03/04/2005, 9:49 AM
How about 3-5-2

----------------Devine----------------

Hoggie---------Benno-----------Danny

Billy---Gamble---Georgie---Colin---Liam

--------Behan---Super Kev-------

wouldn't work , fo 3-5-2 u need more centre-halfs not less, hoggie is not a centre-half even though danny murphy might just play there
wot about

------------------devine-----------------

----------colint----benno----danny------

---hoggie-------------------------billly----
-----------george--gamble--kearney------

---------------behan----kev--------------

still though you're losing an attacking player!

yan
03/04/2005, 12:52 PM
kearney too light to play in the middle,and danny is no centre half, i say stay with 4-4-2 bcoz it suits us better with 2 wingers with behan up front ;)

id say a new signing or get derek more games asap,maybe loan him to 1st division club for a month to get the games!

pete
03/04/2005, 4:01 PM
IMO ye are all over estimating Murrays current weaknesses. Bennet was at fault for the Bray goal & thats just 1 goal conceeded in 4 games.

Dan Murray had a brilliant game in the air against Shel$.

I wonder how people can call themselves supporters when they shouting abuse at one of our own players when he on the pitch. Criticism is one thing but abuse is pathetic.

Fair_play_boy
03/04/2005, 4:12 PM
IMO ye are all over estimating Murrays current weaknesses. Bennet was at fault for the Bray goal & thats just 1 goal conceeded in 4 games.

Dan Murray had a brilliant game in the air against Shel$.

I wonder how people can call themselves supporters when they shouting abuse at one of our own players when he on the pitch. Criticism is one thing but abuse is pathetic.Yes Murray does well in the air, no disputing that. But look at the video of the Bray goal again on the CCFC official web site. Dan keeps backing off, not even attempting to close him down. At least Benno comes in and attempts to tackle the guy. Up in Longford, Dan signalled Benno to tackle a guy near the edge of the penalty area when Dan himself was better positioned to do so.
Regarding the one goal conceded, that is a great defensive record, but credit the other three in the defence who have not made the mistakes that Dan has.

pete
03/04/2005, 4:30 PM
Murray was marking the other forward. If he moved to tackle Fox then there was no one to stop other forward clear on goal.

thecorner
03/04/2005, 4:41 PM
Murray was marking the other forward. If he moved to tackle Fox then there was no one to stop other forward clear on goal.

but we are thought at schoolboy level,if this happens the man without the ball cant do any danger until he gets it so therefore u go towards the ball

lets be honest ,murray is tripe and u cant come on here defending him

adamd164
03/04/2005, 4:48 PM
Why in the name of God didn't Derek play today :confused:

Ruairi
03/04/2005, 5:35 PM
Why in the name of God didn't Derek play today :confused:

a knee problem afaik

A face
03/04/2005, 6:18 PM
lets be honest ,murray is tripe and u cant come on here defending him

Nah ... that is harsh .... in fairness, we all know how good Dan can be when he is on top of his game. Right now he isn't and it is a problem but that doesn't mean the guy is tripe !!

thecorner
03/04/2005, 8:49 PM
Nah ... that is harsh .... in fairness, we all know how good Dan can be when he is on top of his game. Right now he isn't and it is a problem but that doesn't mean the guy is tripe !!

more like that good season he had was a flash in the pan

he was tripe last season, he is tripe this season and unless rico does something theres only gonna be a lot more tripe to come ;)

JDB
03/04/2005, 9:24 PM
I wonder how people can call themselves supporters when they shouting abuse at one of our own players when he on the pitch. Criticism is one thing but abuse is pathetic.

Couldn't agree with you more Pete. Dan Murray is the club captain and a very fine player who's going through a bit of a bad patch this season albeit one in which we remain unbeaten! It doesn't do Cork City FC any good to come on here bitching about how he's tripe and all that rubbish. It's hard to understand some so called 'supporters' attitudes towards their own players - we're top of the League, going well in the Setanta Cup, beaten Shels for the first time since 2002 and they still focus on the negative. Get a life, support your team. C'mon City.

thecorner
03/04/2005, 9:31 PM
who's going through a bit of a bad patch this season.

and all of last season

JDB
03/04/2005, 9:31 PM
but we are thought at schoolboy level,if this happens the man without the ball cant do any danger until he gets it so therefore u go towards the ball

I don't know who taught you at the schoolboy level but I believe you were misled. We were always taught that the man without the ball can only be a source of danger if he gets the ball, so stick tight on him and make sure he doesn't get it........anything else is ball watching.

thecorner
03/04/2005, 10:12 PM
I don't know who taught you at the schoolboy level but I believe you were misled. We were always taught that the man without the ball can only be a source of danger if he gets the ball, so stick tight on him and make sure he doesn't get it........anything else is ball watching.

so if there is 2 players coming at you ,u would go to the man without the ball

glad i wasnt coached by your schoolboy team :rolleyes:

Shedender
04/04/2005, 9:19 AM
so if there is 2 players coming at you ,u would go to the man without the ball

glad i wasnt coached by your schoolboy team :rolleyes:

It's quite easy, you keep marking your own player, if cover looks like it's not going to arrive you close down the approaching player (covering the pass to the free player at the same time by putting yourself in the way), it makes the player in posession make the decision. Unfortunately he shot from way out and scored a good goal :(

thecorner
04/04/2005, 10:53 AM
It's quite easy, you keep marking your own player, if cover looks like it's not going to arrive you close down the approaching player (covering the pass to the free player at the same time by putting yourself in the way), it makes the player in posession make the decision. Unfortunately he shot from way out and scored a good goal :(

which is what murray should have done...doubt if he would have made it anyway. dan murray....the pace of a snail

De Town
04/04/2005, 1:37 PM
dan murray....the pace of a snail
thats being kind to Murray

patsh
04/04/2005, 1:42 PM
thats being kind to Murray
So the Longford attack is slower than a snail?....:eek:

:D

Ruairi
04/04/2005, 1:50 PM

WHOA WHOA WHOA....

Longford had an attack??

De Town
04/04/2005, 1:54 PM

Well, Barrett and Baker are both fast, esp. Barrett, but just arent doing anything at the moment :(