PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk match

shedhead
02/04/2005, 2:47 PM
from eleven-a-side.com

Dundalk suffer Bennion blow

April 2, 2005

Dundalk manager Jim Gannon will be without first-choice goalkeeper Chris Bennion for Saturday night’s eircom League First Division clash with Sligo Rovers.

Bennion picked up the injury during last weekend’s victory over Kilkenny City at Buckley Park.

Aaron Shanahan, who replaced him during that game, will come in from the start at the Showgrounds as Dundalk attempt to continue their unbeaten start to the season.

Gannon also admitted that he had a spat with the fourth official over the substitution when Bennion sustained his injury.

The Dundalk boss told the Dundalk Democrat: “I obviously indicated that I wanted to make a substitution when the ball was out of play. The fourth official wanted me to make the change when it was Kilkenny’s corner which I wouldn’t do.

“In the meantime, Chris Bennion went down injured and obviously my priority was to get my substitute goalkeeper on.

“I don’t know why he [the fourth official] was being so petty. The fact was the change in goalkeeper was more important and I asked him for the card back. He eventually agreed.”

Sligo Rovers Dundalk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where: The Showgrounds
When: 7.30pm, April 2, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Match odds:
Sligo Rovers: 6/5
Draw: 9/4
Dundalk: 7/4

Referee:
P. Duddy (Donegal)

Quotes:
“We came back well [against Dublin City last week] and that was a bonus. We finished strongly and I think most observers would admit that we were the more likely winners. Dublin City manager Dermot Keely acknowledged as much at the finish.” – Sligo boss Sean Connor is happy with his side’s progress to date. “I watched Sligo against Dublin City last week and was very impressed by them. They have some quality players and are a very solid outfit.” – Dundalk boss Jim Gannon expects a difficult match at the Showgrounds.

Top scorers:
Michael McNamara - 2 Alan Murphy - 1

Team news:
Rafael Cretaro and Ciaran Foley are both in contention after coming back from illness and injury, but Jason McCartney is out with a back injury. Defenders Stephen McGuiness, Chris Deans and Shane Jackson are all back in contention for places, but manager Jim GAnnon is expected to continue with Paul Marney and Simon Kelly at the heart of the back four after two clean sheets to start the season. Definitely out, however, are goalkeeper Chris Bennion (ankle) and Chris Lawless (hamstring). Aaron Shanahan will come in in goal.

Recent form:
Sligo Rovers
Mar 24, 2005: Dublin City 1-1 Sligo Rovers Match report
Mar 19, 2005: Sligo Rovers 2-1 Kildare County Match report
Nov 20, 2004: Limerick FC 1-0 Sligo Rovers Match report

Dundalk
Mar 25, 2005: Kilkenny City 0-1 Dundalk Match report
Mar 18, 2005: Athlone Town 0-0 Dundalk Match report
Nov 20, 2004: Finn Harps 3-0 Dundalk Match report

Previous meetings:
Sept 2, 2004: Dundalk 3-2 Sligo Rovers Match report
Jun 5, 2004: Sligo Rovers 2-0 Dundalk Match report
Mar 18, 2004: Dundalk 1-0 Sligo Rovers Match report
Nov 29, 2003: Sligo Rovers 1-0 Dundalk Match report
Sept 18, 2003: Dundalk 2-2 Sligo Rovers Match report
Jun 14, 2003: Sligo Rovers 0-0 Dundalk Match report

eleven-a-side.com verdict:
Home advantage could be crucial as two of the early pacesetters meet. 2-1

from dundalk website
Gannon's View
31 March 2005
Lifted Spirits

Like many at the match, my spirits have been lifted by a great result at Buckley Park. It was pleasing to see the players adopt a positive and purposeful approach to the game with a real intention to play flowing and effective football. Right from the opening minute they showed a ‘courage’ to play. Yes, they made mistakes but they made mistakes doing the right thing! We have the ability in the team to attack directly, but the team constantly and consistently attempted to get on the ball and play football. This meant that each player had more opportunity on the ball to express themselves, and consequently everybody looked like they enjoyed playing in the game, and not just the end result.

Strong Sense of Pride.

As Manager and mentor, I shared the teams joy at the result but I also have a strong sense of pride at the manner of the victory. There were notable, perhaps unnoticed, things about the game that made me proud of my players. The players showed tremendous discipline, honesty and integrity during the match. Tommy Morgan showed great honesty to stand up against an aggressive head-butting incident from Mark Dempsey. An incident that went unchecked by the referee. Tommy’s professional integrity was more notable following the despicable and disgraceful scenes of blatant cheating displayed by a so-called professional footballer in a similar incident at Turners Cross a few days later. David Hoey displayed great control and discipline when man-handled by a frustrated opponent. He just brushed him off and carried on with complete focus on his game. Micky O’Kane showed great strength of character and determination to constantly pick himself off the turf following numerous late challenges on him. He just brushed himself down and continued to look for the ball again and again.

What great qualities to have - honesty, discipline, and strength of character. In these times of increasing rush, rage and pressure, to display such qualities is admirable. The players maintained their concentration, control and commitment to the team, to the game, and to getting the win.

Providing The Right Environment for Players To Play.

As stated previous I believe everybody involved in the game has a role in raising the standards of the game as it is currently played. I have mentioned the responsibility of the Managers and Coaches to encourage and educate players to play. Players have to maintain their confidence and courage to play the game in the right manner.
However, I would like to mention the role of the referee. I will never criticise a referee over any single ‘match-turning’ decision, for these will surely be just human errors of judgement, which we are all capable of! However, one thing I feel strongly about and wish to express is the role of referees in protecting the ‘footballers’ of the league. I listen and read other managers refer to the first division as a ‘Physical’ League. What does that mean? It’s this no place for skill? Is it a place where brute physical strength and psychological intimidation rule? This country has an abundance of naturally talented footballers, but are they protected? Ask some of our younger talented players - Wes Houlihan and Stephen Ward – last year I seen them ‘kicked’ out of games.
We must remember, the most fundamentally role of any referee is to protect the players safety at all times. Therefore, we must protect the players so that we don’t just see footballers kicked out of the game, and as a consequent we see ‘football’ kicked out of the game. Like any modern citizen that goes to work, the footballers’ work environment should be safe, his health and safety secured. The referees have the greatest role in this protection. Not just for the players but for the greater good of the game.

The Bit O Red
With good football in mind, we look forward to a challenging match against Sligo Rovers. I was delighted to see the football played by the Bit O’ Red last Thursday. Sean O Connor has expressed very good guiding philosophies for his players and his team displayed good football principles. This shouldn’t come as a surprise as Sean has great experience, allied to an in-depth education in coaching. Sligo are a strong side who are capable of playing lively and entertaining football team. His recent signings of Kupono Low, Faz Kudozovic and Carlos Alavarez are a breath of fresh air to the League, It is also pleasing to see players of the quality of Conor O’Grady plying their trade in the first division. They certainly raise the standards of the game at this level.

Sligo were very unlucky not to beat Dublin City recently at Tolka Park and be sitting clear at the top of the table. They will be well supported and there should be a great buzz about the Showgrounds this Saturday. The match is shaping up to be a real cracker of a match with two confident teams challenging for the top spot.
We travel with a full squad apart from Chris Bennion (lateral ankle ligaments) and Chris Lawless (hamstring). The Team welcomes back Stephen McGuinness, Shane Jackson and Danny Woods into the squad. The squad is in great spirits and look forward to the challenge from the Resurgent Rovers, and like previously expressed - may the best ‘Footballing’ side win at The Showgrounds..

JG