PDA

View Full Version : Fixtures weekend 19th Oct

Pages : [1] 2

nigel-harps1954
17/10/2018, 8:59 PM
Premier Division:

Bray Wanderers v Bohemians
Derry City v Cork City
Dundalk v Sligo Rovers (Live on RTE Two)
Limerick v St Pat's Ath
Shamrock Rovers v Waterford

First Division Play-Off Final Second Leg:

Finn Harps (1) v (1) Drogheda United

Dundalk supposedly collecting the title in front of the cameras but the big game of the weekend has to be the one in Finn Park. Adult home terrace tickets sold out in the Letterkenny outlet today, more having to be delivered down tomorrow, so looking like a big crowd in on Friday night.

sbgawa
17/10/2018, 9:05 PM
Good luck Nigel.
Would be great to see harps come back up.

Should be a good match between rovers and Waterford. 3rd place is important IMO as if we can finish with two wins our last 15 league matches will be won 12 drew 2 lost 1 and conceded only 2 goals.
That's the kind of form that will give us a bit of hope through the winter :)

Lose on Friday and it's a crisis :)

Ezeikial
18/10/2018, 6:12 AM
Dundalk supposedly collecting the title in front of the cameras .

You're always good for an unintended chuckle.

It seems the media folk don't realise the tentative nature of the trophy presentation.

nigel-harps1954
18/10/2018, 12:53 PM
You're always good for an unintended chuckle.

It seems the media folk don't realise the tentative nature of the trophy presentation.

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S08E23/1182146.jpg?b64lines=IENPVUxEIFlPVSBFWFBMQUlOIFlPV VIKIGpva2UsIFlPVU5HIE1BTj8g

Martinho II
18/10/2018, 4:59 PM
https://frinkiac.com/meme/S08E23/1182146.jpg?b64lines=IENPVUxEIFlPVSBFWFBMQUlOIFlPV VIKIGpva2UsIFlPVU5HIE1BTj8g

fellow on the right is that micheal d by any chance?:eek:

dong
19/10/2018, 7:38 PM
I appreciate the quality Dundalk have and that we are missing a couple of players but this is a spineless performance from us.
Reeks of petulance.

kksaints
19/10/2018, 7:53 PM
How bad are Limerick? We're 4-0 up after 50 minutes.

colonelwest
19/10/2018, 8:09 PM
Hoban equals Brendan Bradley's record, missed a pen in the first few minutes and is still on a hat trick and a chance to break the record with 20 to go

Jack B
19/10/2018, 8:40 PM
The crowd and general performance from Limerick...jesus.

NeverFeltBetter
19/10/2018, 8:48 PM
Limerick/Harps for the last PD spot then. Going to be very hard for Limerick to suddenly raise their game after the run of results they've had.

El-Pietro
19/10/2018, 9:01 PM
Limerick haven't a chance. They came to cork last week completely spineless

Nesta99
19/10/2018, 9:10 PM
Sligo were very poor, good job they didnt get sucked in to the play-off spot or they'd have worrying times themselves over the next few weeks. Harps are very much favourites to get promoted now. Disappointing for Drogheda tonight but it a first season with a young manager and young squad. They will be tough to look past for promotion next season. The teams being relegated it looks ominous for as on and off the pitch there is a sense of freefall. Bray might just have steadied the ship a bit but not for promotion any time soon.

sbgawa
19/10/2018, 9:15 PM
Routine win for rovers, Waterford brought a decent crowd. Great to see Sean boyd score had a terrible time with injuries for best part of two years......seriously y popular goal on and off the pitch.

marinobohs
19/10/2018, 9:50 PM
FT Bray 0 Bohs 5 (Corcoran 4 Devanney). Boy, are we going to miss Bray 😁

RathfarnhamHoop
19/10/2018, 10:38 PM
Routine win for rovers, Waterford brought a decent crowd. Great to see Sean boyd score had a terrible time with injuries for best part of two years......seriously y popular goal on and off the pitch.

This basically sums it up. Dan Carr was brilliant first half too. Waterfords fans were in decent voice throughout in fairness and I got a good laugh out of a few of their songs, some intended some not.
Officials were poor, don't think I need to say any more considering we've established officials in the league aren't great.

bluewhitearmy
19/10/2018, 11:01 PM
Congratulations to Harps on the promotion.

sbgawa
19/10/2018, 11:14 PM
Ollie Horgan disagrees with you.
Harps have done well to get to here but defeat in limericks is inevitable

ToberonaTornado
19/10/2018, 11:30 PM
Connolly played with a bit of a "no pressure on me now cos we've won the league" luxury when he came on start of the 2nd half.Thought he was excellent(he had big boots to fill,replacing Mountney)

Dundalk never once let up throughout the game.
They're on a mission it seems.

Nesta99
20/10/2018, 3:45 AM
Winning 5 nil, dominating with 10 minutes to go and seeing Stephen Kenney roar at the players to lift their game really shows the level of expectation. We might even get a cup final worthy of the two dominant teams in free scoring form...

Ezeikial
20/10/2018, 9:05 AM
We might even get a cup final worthy of the two dominant teams in free scoring form...

Are you insane? Do you not know how the turgid anti-football thing works by now?

The Donie Forde
20/10/2018, 10:05 AM
Hoban equals Brendan Bradley's record, missed a pen in the first few minutes and is still on a hat trick and a chance to break the record with 20 to go

Hoban currently stands eight goals short of the record, which isn't held by Brendan Bradley.
Dunno where this invented record is coming from?

ToberonaTornado
20/10/2018, 10:17 AM
Hoban currently stands eight goals short of the record, which isn't held by Brendan Bradley.

People usually continue on from the end of your post....

Not arguing with you,just looking for more details.

disgruntled
20/10/2018, 10:22 AM
Are you insane? Do you not know how the turgid anti-football thing works by now?

At least if you lose the final you'll have a valid excuse :eek:

sidewayspasser
20/10/2018, 10:22 AM
RTE was on about that several times during the match yesterday.

[RTE studios in preparation for the coverage]
"Lads, what is the all-time scoring record in the league?"
"Dunno, check Brendan Bradley's best season, that's surely the one."

disgruntled
20/10/2018, 10:35 AM
RTE was on about that several times during the match yesterday.

[RTE studios in preparation for the coverage]
"Lads, what is the all-time scoring record in the league?"
"Dunno, check Brendan Bradley's best season, that's surely the one."

(29)
Brendan Bradley 1975/76
Paddy Bradshaw St James Gate 1939/40
Alec Hair Shels 1930/31
Dan McCaffrey Drumcondra 1960/61
(30)
Jimmy Gauld Waterford 1954/55
(37)
Jimmy Turnbull Cork 1935/36.
Turnbull scored his 37 in 22 games.

I'm sure The Donie Forde can produce even more stats if required.

The Donie Forde
20/10/2018, 12:19 PM
People usually continue on from the end of your post....

Not arguing with you,just looking for more details.

Eh? I quoted the lad's entire post.

White Horse
20/10/2018, 1:39 PM
Statistics comparing players and team from wildly different eras is a silly thing to do.

Safe to say, Hoban is an excellent striker and no other striker in the current era has maintained such excellence through an entire season.

sbgawa
20/10/2018, 1:43 PM
The only reason Maguire isn't the record holder is he left mid season. Hogan is excellent and I'd love him at rovers but he isn't in Maguires stratosphere
Their respective records in Ireland and England show that vlearly

White Horse
20/10/2018, 1:46 PM
The only reason Maguire isn't the record holder is he left mid season. Hogan is excellent and I'd love him at rovers but he isn't in Maguires stratosphere

You can only judge people on what they do, not on what they may have done.

Maguire had a excellent partial season in 2017. He may have gone on to score more goals, or he may not.

sbgawa
20/10/2018, 2:28 PM
Your right you can only judge on what people do Hoban scored 7 goals in 75 appearances in England, Maguire is 9 goals for 17 appearances.
Hoban is excellent by loi standards but a hat stand placed on the peno spot would probably deflect in 10 goals considering how good the rest of the dundalk team are.
When Maguire left cork fell apart.

Ezeikial
20/10/2018, 3:51 PM
The only reason Maguire isn't the record holder is he left mid season.

Could it also be that he didn't score enough goals in League of Ireland?

2011 - 2012 Waterford
2014 - 2014 Sligo Rovers
2015 - 2015 Dundalk
2016 - 2017 Cork City

Ezeikial
20/10/2018, 3:57 PM
Your right you can only judge on what people do Hoban scored 7 goals in 75 appearances in England, Maguire is 9 goals for 17 appearances.
Hoban is excellent by loi standards but a hat stand placed on the peno spot would probably deflect in 10 goals considering how good the rest of the dundalk team are.
When Maguire left cork fell apart.

After your Hat Stand 10 goal deduction, there are still another 19 league goals (plus cup and Euro scores), which would still leave him the proverbial country mile ahead of the next highest scorer in the league.

His goal-scoring achievements have been nothing short of phenomenal

sbgawa
20/10/2018, 4:06 PM
Exactly that's why I'd be happy to have him at rovers but no one outside dundalk (or very few anyway) would say a championship striker with better than 1 goal every 2 matches and a guy who won a league on his own is not a better player than Hoban .

White Horse
20/10/2018, 4:26 PM
Exactly that's why I'd be happy to have him at rovers but no one outside dundalk (or very few anyway) would say a championship striker with better than 1 goal every 2 matches and a guy who won a league on his own is not a better player than Hoban .

No one from Dundalk made the argument that you are intent on countering.

The point I made was that no striker in the modern era has performed as excellently over an entire season as Hoban.

sbgawa
20/10/2018, 4:37 PM
Fair enough of the players that weren't good enough to be bought mid season Hoban is one of the best :)

RathfarnhamHoop
20/10/2018, 5:16 PM
Could it also be that he didn't score enough goals in League of Ireland?

2011 - 2012 Waterford
2014 - 2014 Sligo Rovers
2015 - 2015 Dundalk
2016 - 2017 Cork City

And what on earth does Maguires stint at Sligo have to do with how many goals he scored or could have scored for Cork in 2017?

Olander
20/10/2018, 5:20 PM
Comparisons between Hoban and Maguire are silly.

Hoban is a very effective LOI striker, but that's his level. I believed this before he went to England and I still believe it now. He failed miserably there, at a far lower level than Maguire.

In the games that I saw him feature in Europe this year, which is a good barometer for progression past the LOI, he was very poor. The Larnaca games a prime example, they had his number and he was totally ineffective. McMillan had more strings to his bow.

I mean fair play to him, he came back to the LOI and got himself fit and injury free. He uses his frame well and he's a handful, but he's nowhere near as technical as Maguire or a fraction as good as him. He's playing in the best side in the country by a mile, who carve out countless chances for him in every game, some perspective is needed.

The calls for Hoban to be called up to Ireland are quite frankly laughable. There are a few far more deserving players in that Dundalk side and saying he wants another crack at England seem a bit fanciful to me. He's not good enough honestly.

oriel
20/10/2018, 6:55 PM
Another night of celebrations and only coming around now, but have to say winning any league title is a special feeling. The buzz around the place from very young to the more senior supporters was evident.

Another feature is the politeness by all of the players, they were getting asked constantly for photos and signing jerseys and stuff, and not only did they not refuse anyone, they thanked them !

That was some performance by Dundalk, granted the league was won and Sligo never really got started in front of the watching Liam Buckley, but Dundalk kept at it, right up to the 90th min.

Ezeikial
20/10/2018, 6:56 PM
Comparisons between Hoban and Maguire are silly.

Is that not exactly what you did following that opening line?

What is clear and indisputable is that Patrick Hoban has now notched 29 league goals and if he scores again next week he will exceed all contemporary goal scoring feats in the League of Ireland.

Some of the posters attempting to detract from or minimise his phenomenal goal scoring exploits this season, also displayed similar poor judgement when dismissing his abilities at the start of the season.

sbgawa
20/10/2018, 7:39 PM
Jeez take a chill pill. Nobodies detracting anything from him he's an excellent loi player that I and probably any other loi fan would like in our teams. I just think this kind of "best record of people who played a full season" or " best player in contemporary times " stuff thereby excluding players like Maguire or indeed the players who scored more goals previously is just an attempt to portray Hoban in a light as an "exceptional player " when what he is is a very good loi player playing in front of a super team that creates lots of chances.
His failure to score goals anywhere else can't be glossed over. There is no shame in being a super player at your level. Shields from dundalk in my opinion is a better player than Hoban. Ditto McGrath and mcelhaney

micls
20/10/2018, 7:57 PM
While you could be right about them being better players, it's hard to argue they're more important. There's an absolute dearth of top quality strikers in the league at the moment, snagging one who can score 20+ goals is nearly the equivalent of 2 of your other players in terms of impact.

osarusan
20/10/2018, 7:58 PM
The whole 'over an entire season' thing is just silly, and solely designed to exclude Maguire, and thereby go on about how he has done what 'no other striker in the modern game' has done.

Ezeikial
20/10/2018, 8:33 PM
The whole 'over an entire season' thing is just silly, and solely designed to exclude Maguire, and thereby go on about how he has done what 'no other striker in the modern game' has done.

Over the course of the season is simply the primary way most statisticians, supporters and commentators tend to view goal scoring records. It is also a simple statement of facts that he has matched Brendan Bradley's goal scoring record of 1975-76 season and one more next week will surpass it.

Saluting Hoban's phenomenal goal scoring feats this season excludes no one

total hoofball
20/10/2018, 8:44 PM
Hoban looks a better footballer in 2018 (average goal per start 0.85) versus 2014 (average goal per start 0.69) but 2018 Dundalk team were a better team (average points per game 2.45 so far) versus 2014 Dundalk team (average 2.24 points per game) so bit easier to score more goals as a Dundalk striker in 2018 than 2014

I do think the league has declined in standard over that 4 year period but I don't think there is that must of a divergence in Hoban's stats and the respective Dundalk teams in 2014 & 2018 to suggest anything but that he is a top LOI striker and a 'MVP' difference maker to win this league. His disappointing time in England should not overshadow his exceptional performance this season. Ireland call-up talk is another story

Nah Nah Nah Nah
21/10/2018, 8:49 AM
No one is denying he’s an excellent League of Ireland striker but from watching the game back (I’m a sadist) RTE made it sound like he had scored the most goals ever in a league season and just dismissed what Turnball et al did. It’s like you’re watching a game in England and all they talk about is Premier League records as if there was no top flight football in England before the Premier League started.

Dundalk were absolutely brilliant on a Friday night. Be glad to see the back of this season (again).

The Donie Forde
21/10/2018, 11:19 AM
Why choose Bradley's tally as a record?
A - it's nothing more than a Finn Harps club record, at the end of the day.
B - it wasn't even achieved in the era of our own Premier Division.

The equivalent would be Cork City claiming a third successive FAI Cup (should it happen) would be a record.
Of course, it would beat the club's own record of two but would ignore the superior achievements of Shamrock Rovers just because that was a long time ago.

Martinho II
21/10/2018, 2:47 PM
No one is denying he’s an excellent League of Ireland striker but from watching the game back (I’m a sadist) RTE made it sound like he had scored the most goals ever in a league season and just dismissed what Turnball et al did. It’s like you’re watching a game in England and all they talk about is Premier League records as if there was no top flight football in England before the Premier League started.

Dundalk were absolutely brilliant on a Friday night. Be glad to see the back of this season (again).

thats exactly what glitw podcast said as well. turnbull is the record holder end of story!

Nesta99
21/10/2018, 4:06 PM

Oh tongue was firmly placed in cheek!! On the Hoban goal scoring record thing, Turnbull's record is obviously being airbrushed out of the history books by RTE cause he played in Cork obviously, ye know with that anti Cork conspiracy and all:rolleyes:

SeanDrog
21/10/2018, 8:35 PM
Congratz Harps - I’ll be cheering you on vs Limerick 👍🍺

bluewhitearmy
21/10/2018, 9:33 PM
Congratz Harps - I’ll be cheering you on vs Limerick 👍🍺

Mad for a trip to Jackman next year. Don't blame you.