PDA

View Full Version : Bucko for Sligo

marinobohs
16/10/2018, 11:07 AM
Story in Daily Mirror that Sligo will this week announce Liam Buckley as their manager for next season.Quick return for the former Pats manager if true, his teams always played decent football and has been successful over the years.

ArFella
16/10/2018, 11:23 AM
Good decision by Sligo if the reports are true, don't think you find anyone that would say he's not a better manager than Lyttle and should pick Sligo up after a few poor years for them, it'll be tough for them to come close to trying to crack the top 4 and compete for European places but that has to be the ambition for them. Always had a soft spot for Sligo and given that Bucko plays football the right way I may find myself supporting them every week they aren't playing Dundalk.

Martinho II
16/10/2018, 5:59 PM
yeah it was in the sun also didnt know that Liam Buckley played with Sligo Rovers in 1997.

patrickccfc
16/10/2018, 7:14 PM
Confirmed, Lyttle is gone
https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/1052273977891180545?s=19

sbgawa
16/10/2018, 8:36 PM
good to see bucko back in the league , if Pats tell their new manager to keep playing football and Sligo follow suit + UCD on the way up there will be a good bit of football played in the league next year

D24Saint
17/10/2018, 1:49 PM
Surprised he didn’t take more time away from the game if true he has looked a bit burnt out recently imo.

marinobohs
17/10/2018, 2:19 PM
Surprised he didn’t take more time away from the game if true he has looked a bit burnt out recently imo.

Yep. surprised to see him back so quickly, thought he might take a break, but Sligo is a pretty attractive gig and they don't come up that often so he may have had to 'jump' quicker than he originally thought.

Mr A
26/10/2018, 2:52 PM
This is confirmed. In a ringing vote of confidence he is on a one year deal.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
26/10/2018, 9:16 PM
With the option of another year

Ezeikial
26/10/2018, 10:31 PM
With the option of another year

Who holds the option?

Buckley or Sligo

dong
26/10/2018, 11:01 PM
Buckley knows the league and he knows how to set teams up to play a bit of football.That is something the we have been missing for a long time. I would be hopeful that he be able to develop a few of the local players as well as knowing the type of footballer he needs to bring in. Hope there is a bit of money available as he is gong to have to spend a bit. I think if you gave him the squad that Lyttle had he would do better.
That said, how will he do in a Rovers context, I'm not sure. Small population with limited opportunities for part time players so you have to stay full time; no sugar daddy; no supply stream of players from the DDSL or LSL: so forced to source full time players from UK (which is not necessarily equivalent to good, or even adequate, players)
We'll see.
To sum up: He might do well or I could be totally wrong and they will probably have the pitchforks out for him by next August.😂

Charlie Darwin
27/10/2018, 5:20 AM
Bucko is a great choice for Sligo and he'll be able to attract players from Dublin. If the board back him with some decent money they have to be in the reckoning next year.

Martinho II
27/10/2018, 7:36 PM
dont forget the last time buckley managed outside of dublin athlone town were unlucky not to go up under his stewardship in 2000/01 season. it was only due to the foot and mouth that stopped their momentum!