PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Wales - Tuesday, 16th October 2018 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jbyrne
15/10/2018, 9:10 AM
Aaron Ramsey confirmed out of Tuesdays game

jbyrne
15/10/2018, 9:11 AM
The following players out of the most recent squad have appeared in greater than 75% of their teams league games this season:

Randolph
Duffy
Christie
Keogh
Egan
Stevens
Lenihan
McClean
Hendrick
Arter
O’Dowda
Hourihane
Williams
Browne
Long
Robinson
O’Brien

K Long, Clark, Williams, Meyler - not regulars
Maguire, Hogan - injures for most of season, regulars at time of injury.
McDermott - not the top 2 English leagues but regular.
Doyle - not in top 2 English leagues, not regular.

how many are starting regularly and how many are "performing" (assuming you mean performing well) week in week out as you say?

Cathalsmart
15/10/2018, 9:16 AM
No matter who Wales have available we will make who ever comes in look a class above.

tetsujin1979
15/10/2018, 9:57 AM
Moving the discussion on the Wales game into its own thread

Diggs246
15/10/2018, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=jbyrne;1978657]Aaron Ramsey confirmed out of Tuesdays game

If we don't win on Tuesday with all this luck*, then MON will have to answer some serious questions

* obviously I hope its nothing too serious with Ramsey wife

tetsujin1979
15/10/2018, 10:39 AM
more than just Bale and Ramsey missing

Fizzer
15/10/2018, 11:39 AM
No matter who Wales have available we will make who ever comes in look a class above.

Are you then going to liken them to players with physical disabilities again TOWK?

Littlest Hobo
15/10/2018, 11:46 AM
Tets - the first four form the spine of their starting eleven. Their replacements certainly won’t be as good. Similar to Wales in Cardiff, its now up to Ireland to take the initiative from their loses. I’m going for a close 1-0 win.

Cathalsmart
15/10/2018, 11:51 AM
Are you then going to liken them to players with physical disabilities again TOWK?

Probably.

tetsujin1979
15/10/2018, 11:56 AM
Cathal isn't TOWK. End of discussion.

marinobohs
15/10/2018, 12:13 PM
Tets - the first four form the spine of their starting eleven. Their replacements certainly won’t be as good. Similar to Wales in Cardiff, its now up to Ireland to take the initiative from their loses. I’m going for a close 1-0 win.

I would love us to start at a high tempo, try and get the crowd going and take advantage of a weakened Welsh starting line up. Expecting another insipid, defensive, 'must not lose' performance ala Saturday.

Cathalsmart
15/10/2018, 12:23 PM
Cathal isn't TOWK. End of discussion.

Wtf is TOWK?

tetsujin1979
15/10/2018, 12:30 PM
Wtf is TOWK?TheOneWhoKnocks was a member here who was banned for persistent trolling, among other things.

Cathalsmart
15/10/2018, 12:35 PM
Okay glad that was clarified, well im not that atleast. As they say who ever smelt it dealt it, Fizzer what are you hiding from us?

Fizzer
15/10/2018, 1:02 PM
TOWK was banned for posting a snuff video,which I pointed out to him at the time was a disgusting thing to do.He was banned very shortly before you appeared Cahal.Unless you never read the forum before you joined nor took the time to read any of the older threads it’s funny that you’ve never heard of him he was all over the forum.He had a similar turn of phrase to yourself and would no doubt have agreed that likening the Irish team to a ‘team of amputees’ as you did is ok.Anyway,he lasted years clogging the threads up with nonsense so enjoy.

brine3
15/10/2018, 1:15 PM
I would love us to start at a high tempo, try and get the crowd going

Like against Denmark last year?

This is more of the mysticism that we rely too much in Irish football. High tempo, get the crowd behind us and we'll win thanks to our passion and Lansdowne roar.

Sure, when all else is equal, those kinds of things can make a difference. And we can be proud of that. But they can't be the foundation on which we build our teams.

Cathalsmart
15/10/2018, 2:01 PM
TOWK was banned for posting a snuff video,which I pointed out to him at the time was a disgusting thing to do.He was banned very shortly before you appeared Cahal.Unless you never read the forum before you joined nor took the time to read any of the older threads it’s funny that you’ve never heard of him he was all over the forum.He had a similar turn of phrase to yourself and would no doubt have agreed that likening the Irish team to a ‘team of amputees’ as you did is ok.Anyway,he lasted years clogging the threads up with nonsense so enjoy.

Well unless you have tangible evidence to compare me with him other than coincidences than it’s best to not accuse someone of something to avoid egg on you’re face.

tetsujin1979
15/10/2018, 3:10 PM
Cathal isn't TOWK, if he was then the scans that Adam runs against user accounts would flag it.

Moving on...

TrapAPony
15/10/2018, 3:42 PM

Actually agree. We rarely if ever capitalise on opportunities given to us in any case. Predicting a dour 0-0 draw with nothing but long balls from Randolph throughout - MON's only tactic. He will then say at the end that while Wales were missing key players, we were too such as Coleman, Brady, McCarthy, O'Dowda etc. and will try paint it as a magnificent result.

brine3
15/10/2018, 3:45 PM
Actually agree. We rarely if ever capitalise on opportunities given to us in any case. Predicting a dour 0-0 draw with nothing but long balls from Randolph throughout - MON's only tactic. He will then say at the end that while Wales were missing key players, we were too such as Coleman, Brady, McCarthy, O'Dowda etc. and will try paint it as a magnificent result.

He is world class in making excuses for himself, I'll give him that.

Diggs246
15/10/2018, 3:45 PM

We were in a similar situation before against Austria at home and we fluffed our lines. But i think we will win tomorrow

DeLorean
15/10/2018, 4:18 PM
We rarely if ever capitalise on opportunities given to us in any case.

We capitalised on our opportunity against a Bale-less Wales last year.

We capitalised on our opportunity against a second string Italy side at the Euros.

We capitalised on Scotland's slip up in Georgia.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2018, 5:00 PM
Only one of those capitalisations has been at home (Germany). We had ample opportunity to capitalise on a good first 5 games last campaign and failed miserably to do so at home. We failed to capitalise on a useful draw in Copenhagen.

It's been 3 years since a good home win.

DeLorean
15/10/2018, 5:36 PM
Those were opportunities we created for ourselves. I was working off Trap's criteria and I think it's wide of the mark to suggest we haven't cashed in on opportunities "given to us". We clearly have.

By your new criteria though you could add the B&H home leg to my list.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2018, 6:35 PM
...and I'd add the word "nearly" to my "it's been 3 years since a good home win" :)

I think it's fair to say we have had several opportunities at home to take advantage of good group positions (earned or given, whatevs) and more often than not we have fluffed them and on an alarming number of occasions we have fluffed them by putting in limp, purposeless performances. Bosnia was an exception. Austria, Serbia, Wales, Denmark...

Before that Georgia at home was atrocious. Armenia too I think. Moldova was a job well done.

Tomorrow is a great opportunity to put this right. If the past is anything to go by we'll have a good first few minutes, allow Wales a feel for the ball, we'll then forget what to do with the ball for the rest of the half and allow Wales to dictate terms, and if we are still in the game with 30 minutes to go we'll wake up and start going for it with characteristic huff and puff.

Closed Account 2
15/10/2018, 10:11 PM
I think we will lose to a very mediocre (given injuries) Wales team or maybe if we are lucky we might scrape a 0-0. I wait for the litany of excuses this sham of a manger will conjure up.

DCWA
16/10/2018, 1:32 AM
Comfortable Wales victory in spite of a spirited but quality lacking 2nd half from Ireland. 0-2.

Charlie Darwin
16/10/2018, 8:33 AM
Comfortable Wales victory in spite of a spirited but quality lacking 2nd half from Ireland. 0-2.
Disappointing to lose but glad we improved after the break.

DeLorean
16/10/2018, 9:03 AM
I think it's fair to say we have had several opportunities at home to take advantage of good group positions (earned or given, whatevs)

"Earned or given, whatevs" changes the point of the discussion completely though. Trap was speaking specifically about gift horses being looked in the mouth, either that or he worded what he was saying badly. I think my examples prove that comment was wide of the mark. We've actually been pretty efficient under MON when we've got a break from events outside of our control.

You've created a different conversation, which is fine, but basically you're saying that we normally mess up at home when a win is required, or at least seems like a win is required at the time. This is undeniable and arguably predates MON by a decade or more. He looked to have cracked the code with the wins over Germany and Bosnia, but we reverted to type in the last campaign.

Home wins didn't come too easily for anybody in the group though, Serbia, Wales & Austria only managed one each against their group 'equals', and Wales even failed to beat Georgia in Cardiff. It's easy to see why we're more suited to playing away, but I agree our approach in home matches is generally unacceptable, especially when it's not even yielding results (wins). Two points out of nine was a terrible return against the big three last time and it was a borderline miracle we still made the top two with that sort of a handicap.

seanfhear
16/10/2018, 9:37 AM
Ireland 4 Wales 0 due to Quantum Mechanics innit .

shakermaker1982
16/10/2018, 11:20 AM
How I'd line up tonight:
Randolph
Doherty Duffy Keogh Long Stevens
Arter Hendrick Williams
Long Robinson

Go for it. High octane stuff. 3 ball players in MF.

Diggs246
16/10/2018, 11:29 AM
That would be my exact team, but Christe will start I guess

TrapAPony
16/10/2018, 11:37 AM
How I'd line up tonight:
Randolph
Doherty Duffy Keogh Long Stevens
Arter Hendrick Williams
Long Robinson

Go for it. High octane stuff. 3 ball players in MF.

MON will find spaces for Christie and McClean in his lineup. Therefore, no Doherty or Williams to accommodate Christie and probably no Stevens or Robinson to accommodate McClean.

centre mid
16/10/2018, 12:34 PM
There really is no reason not to go far broke tonight. Dont win tonight and we are as good as relegated anyway. Be bold.

DeLorean
16/10/2018, 1:14 PM
Ciaran Clark ruled out - http://www.the42.ie/ciaran-clark-ireland-wales-matchday-squad-4288851-Oct2018/

Diggs246
16/10/2018, 1:14 PM
There really is no reason not to go far broke tonight. Dont win tonight and we are as good as relegated anyway. Be bold.

Im with you. Rage against the dying light.
I fancy us tonight guys to win

mark12345
16/10/2018, 1:29 PM
I think we will lose to a very mediocre (given injuries) Wales team or maybe if we are lucky we might scrape a 0-0. I wait for the litany of excuses this sham of a manger will conjure up.

Bit of a carry over from Saturday's game is this (in relation to us being compared to San Marino, Leichtenstein, Malta etc), but thought I'd throw it in anyway.

I've seen those teams as much as the next person - which is very little. However when I've seen the likes of those teams what has struck me is exactly that. Many of their players are far better technically than ours and they play as a team more cohesively than ours. They at least try to play football which is the point of them being there (as brine pointed out earlier on this post). They invariably lose their games which is down to their populations / pool of players they have to choose from. I bet however I could walk onto the training ground of any of those teams and pick out a midfielder who can create far more than Jeff Hendrick or Glen Whelan before him (not difficult) and a center back who is more in sync with him than is Shane Duffy or Richard Keogh. Increase those teams mentioned, slightly in population, coaching structure and pool of players and you get Iceland. Increase it a little more than that and you get Sweden.

In regard to the management team, people seem to be hung up on them and blinded by that fact. For full disclosure I called for Martin O'Neill to never be allowed near another Irish team following the Austria home game (he took two points which belonged to us that day and just threw them into the wind via his team selection). Fast forward to Tiblisi where we scored after 4 minutes and then gave up. That is not a figurative term - we literally gave up (stood in our own half and did nothing for 86 minutes). I have never seen anything like that in my life in any game of football in any part of the globe. I was still on the O'Neill must go kick at that point so I wanted him out even more at that time. But when you stop to think about it, where does the responsibility of the players start and end? Was there not one of them on the pitch in Tiblisi that night who said to his team mates: "Come on lads lets have a go at them, let's try to hit them on the counter and finish this thing off." I am no fan of O'Neill anymore but it has gone beyond that point, way beyond.

The real proof is in the pudding. What I mean by this is that I have followed this Irish team since the early 1970's. We were evolving back then and there was journey to be travelled. However with Saturday's performance and those mentioned above, among others, there is a pattern which is very worrying about ths Ireland team. We have been left behind in the departure lounge. But this is something I said 20 years ago and we'll be on here still debating the point in 20 years time if things don't change drastically.

Cathalsmart
16/10/2018, 1:56 PM
Bit of a carry over from Saturday's game is this (in relation to us being compared to San Marino, Leichtenstein, Malta etc), but thought I'd throw it in anyway.

I've seen those teams as much as the next person - which is very little. However when I've seen the likes of those teams what has struck me is exactly that. Many of their players are far better technically than ours and they play as a team more cohesively than ours. They at least try to play football which is the point of them being there (as brine pointed out earlier on this post). They invariably lose their games which is down to their populations / pool of players they have to choose from. I bet however I could walk onto the training ground of any of those teams and pick out a midfielder who can create far more than Jeff Hendrick or Glen Whelan before him (not difficult) and a center back who is more in sync with him than is Shane Duffy or Richard Keogh. Increase those teams mentioned, slightly in population, coaching structure and pool of players and you get Iceland. Increase it a little more than that and you get Sweden.

In regard to the management team, people seem to be hung up on them and blinded by that fact. For full disclosure I called for Martin O'Neill to never be allowed near another Irish team following the Austria home game (he took two points which belonged to us that day and just threw them into the wind via his team selection). Fast forward to Tiblisi where we scored after 4 minutes and then gave up. That is not a figurative term - we literally gave up (stood in our own half and did nothing for 86 minutes). I have never seen anything like that in my life in any game of football in any part of the globe. I was still on the O'Neill must go kick at that point so I wanted him out even more at that time. But when you stop to think about it, where does the responsibility of the players start and end? Was there not one of them on the pitch in Tiblisi that night who said to his team mates: "Come on lads lets have a go at them, let's try to hit them on the counter and finish this thing off." I am no fan of O'Neill anymore but it has gone beyond that point, way beyond.

The real proof is in the pudding. What I mean by this is that I have followed this Irish team since the early 1970's. We were evolving back then and there was journey to be travelled. However with Saturday's performance and those mentioned above, among others, there is a pattern which is very worrying about ths Ireland team. We have been left behind in the departure lounge. But this is something I said 20 years ago and we'll be on here still debating the point in 20 years time if things don't change drastically.

If they were far better technically they wouldn’t be amateur, you sure you aren’t Martin O’Neills consultant? I find it really cute how naive you are that we can only play the way we do yet every other side in Europe can play with the ball at their feet.

OwlsFan
16/10/2018, 2:36 PM
Ireland 4 Wales 0 due to Quantum Mechanics innit .

I don't know what that means but I like the sound (and look) of it. I am going 2-0 to us and all is well in the garden again.

Diggs246
16/10/2018, 3:37 PM
I don't know what that means but I like the sound (and look) of it. I am going 2-0 to us and all is well in the garden again.

That's two of us anyway...anyone else calling an Ireland win?

DeLorean
16/10/2018, 3:41 PM
That's two of us anyway...anyone else calling an Ireland win?

I think so, maybe, hopefully. I might need to see the teamsheet first but I'd make us slight favourites with home advantage and the Welsh absentee list.

mark12345
16/10/2018, 4:26 PM
If they were far better technically they wouldn’t be amateur, you sure you aren’t Martin O’Neills consultant? I find it really cute how naive you are that we can only play the way we do yet every other side in Europe can play with the ball at their feet.

I'd be a very poor consultant for MON if I was calling for his sacking not too long ago.
Perhaps someone (Thomas Delaney) who was on the pitch last Saturday knows a little bit more than either of us.
Delaney labelled the Irish style of play as 'primitive'.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree at this point.

Cathalsmart
16/10/2018, 5:25 PM
I'd be a very poor consultant for MON if I was calling for his sacking not too long ago.
Perhaps someone (Thomas Delaney) who was on the pitch last Saturday knows a little bit more than either of us.
Delaney labelled the Irish style of play as 'primitive'.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree at this point.

It is primitive, but that’s more down to the instructions (or lack there of) from the management rather than the players. End of the day like I said the players would be professional if they couldn’t at least do the basics.

DeLorean
16/10/2018, 5:35 PM
Randolph
Doherty
Keogh (c)
Duffy
Long
McClean
Christie
Hendrick
Arter
Robinson
O'Brien

3-5-1-1 I guess.

tetsujin1979
16/10/2018, 5:44 PM
If Hendrick is moved back into midfield, and it's Robinson behind O'Brien, that's a far more mobile looking front line.

tetsujin1979
16/10/2018, 5:45 PM
Welsh team

geysir
16/10/2018, 6:34 PM
The welsh players look like they are waiting in trepidation for the spaceship to land and scoop them away to safety.

geysir
16/10/2018, 6:39 PM
Pace, passion, tempo, a game plan, square pegs into square holes, moral courage and kick lumps out of them relentlessly.

Fergie's Son
16/10/2018, 7:09 PM
Watching via RTE updates. Seems like we're doing alright....

Cathalsmart
16/10/2018, 7:18 PM
As usual look like a team that only met each other in the tunnel...