PDA

View Full Version : 2019 UEFA European Under 19 Championship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Olé Olé
15/07/2019, 5:27 PM
I know Reghba didn't feature much for Bohs this season so I wasn't sure what to expect. Looks a player.

Please oh please, Joe Hodge, stay with us.

liamoo11
15/07/2019, 5:33 PM
A draw was an OK result given we were behind for most of the game, but Norway were poor and had we had a full deck we would probably have beaten them comfortably.

If we had even managed to get a couple more of our better midfielders into the squad, say Knight and Bolger, it would have made a huge difference to our prospects in this tournament.

Norway didn't have 4 players that went to the 20s world cup so certainly not their best side either.

liamoo11
15/07/2019, 5:35 PM
I know Reghba didn't feature much for Bohs this season so I wasn't sure what to expect. Looks a player.

Please oh please, Joe Hodge, stay with us.

Hodge was outstanding. Hopefully he is promoted to 21s this season

Olé Olé
15/07/2019, 5:51 PM
Hodge was outstanding. Hopefully he is promoted to 21s this season

I would be surprised if he wasn't, on the basis of this showing and on the basis of Kenny's comments on Dunphy's podcast. He will be 17 in September and Kenny called Parrott up at that age.

Eirambler
15/07/2019, 5:53 PM
We're probably going to have a real battle on our hands to keep Hodge. Standing out at under 19 level as a 16 year old is some going. Hard to know if calling him up to the 21s makes him more likely to stick with us or just advertises the rate of his progression to the English.

Olé Olé
15/07/2019, 6:27 PM
We're probably going to have a real battle on our hands to keep Hodge. Standing out at under 19 level as a 16 year old is some going. Hard to know if calling him up to the 21s makes him more likely to stick with us or just advertises the rate of his progression to the English.

They'll have heard about or seen this performance. I think we may as well keep moving him up until things reach a head. We played the long game with Rice and Grealish and England were always aware of the latter.

liamoo11
15/07/2019, 6:40 PM
They'll have heard about or seen this performance. I think we may as well keep moving him up until things reach a head. We played the long game with Rice and Grealish and England were always aware of the latter.

He has been part of their set up for 3 years and plays for man city he is not under the radar. The first time he had to make a decision on his allegiance was less than 4 months ago when he could have played in englands qualifiers for the 17s euros and committed to them but didn't despite been first choice in all their pre Christmas teams and squads. Where is the logic to say he would want to switch?

tetsujin1979
15/07/2019, 7:20 PM
France beat the Czech Republic 3-0 to underline their credentials as favourites. We face them on Thursday evening, while Norway play the Czechs

elatedscum
15/07/2019, 9:32 PM
Saw bits and pieces of the first half and saw the second half there. Plenty of positives overall.

Hodge was excellent. Clearly good enough and great experience for him.

Afolabi imposed himself physically on some big and strong opponents. Really think he’s ready for men’s football now. Reghba also was excellent. Their willingness to drive at players at take people on can’t be underestimated.

I think you’ve got a back four that will work in Lyons McGuinness McEntee Ledwidge. There were a few mistakes but considering it’s a 4 that haven’t played together before, that’s understandable.

Lee O’Connor is clearly not playing in his best position but you couldn’t fault his performance. Shame that Conor Coventry isn’t there, considering he didn’t make the West Ham tour. Shame that Lampard left Derby as he was prepared to let Knight play. Shame that Bolger’s move went through before the tournament and shame that Connell signed for Celtic before the tournament rather than after. You feel it’s the one area where we’re really piecing things together.

Jack James really struggled. Until we made the chance there was really nothing going forward with him and Ledwidge and they were vulnerable defensively too.

Kavanagh didn’t do himself justice. We’ve all had games where you’re trying that right thing at it doesn’t come off time and time again, but ireland will need his performance to improve from here on out.

Very minor but despite having a good game, Maher’s distribution was uncharacteristically poor. Could have been nerves.

Everett did pretty well. Give his current physical condition, I still think he’s better suited to coming off the bench when defenders are tired but he equipped himself as well as anyone could have hoped.

If I was Mohan, I’d probably bring Wright in for James and otherwise leave it all unchanged. Although given it’s France, I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes a more defensive decision

Charlie Darwin
16/07/2019, 12:42 AM
Why is that Charles? England were in it last year and they ended up with lots of lads not been available
Sorry, obviously a few days late, but the FAI control Irish clubs. You can't stop a player travelling unless the FAI/the manager decides you need them.

Fixer82
16/07/2019, 2:36 PM
Is this France game available to watch online?

tetsujin1979
16/07/2019, 2:46 PM
Should be on the RTE Player

Fixer82
16/07/2019, 2:51 PM
Thank you

Eirambler
17/07/2019, 8:05 PM
Armenia beaten 4-0 by Italy and are already out of the running for the semi finals. 1-1 between Spain and Portugal.

tetsujin1979
18/07/2019, 3:48 PM
Starting XI announced

tetsujin1979
18/07/2019, 4:50 PM
Norway - Czech Republic finished 0-0, with the report saying Norway were the better team.
Pichal picked up his second booking in two games, so is suspended for the game against Ireland on Sunday.

O'Connor, Afolabi and Hodge are carrying yellows from the first game

Olé Olé
18/07/2019, 5:32 PM
From what I'm seeing of Afolabi so far, I think he will have a long career for us as a number 9. Excellent control and varied movement short, deep, narrow and wide. Turn of pace and willing to take men on.

tommy_c12000
18/07/2019, 6:42 PM
1-0 France, goal was coming and deserved

tommy_c12000
18/07/2019, 6:44 PM
Would expect France to play a weakened team vs Norway, giving Norway a good chance to win and go through, regardless of Ireland beating Czech Rep or not

Eirambler
18/07/2019, 6:59 PM
Felt the five subs rule done us there, the French had plenty of quality to bring in off the bench, we didn't with all the missing players. You could see our defence tiring a bit in the 10 minutes leading up to the goal. Need to try and beat the Czechs now and hope for the best. A draw might even do if France beat Norway by a couple. Worry is France can rest a few now after the two wins.

tommy_c12000
18/07/2019, 7:15 PM
From what I'm seeing of Afolabi so far, I think he will have a long career for us as a number 9. Excellent control and varied movement short, deep, narrow and wide. Turn of pace and willing to take men on.

Agree, he has been the main positive from this tournament. He should be able to take his pick of a number of clubs for next season. He looks ready for first team football, hopefully he will get the chance. Hodge was good first game, average today. Kind of player who could disappear once he’s up against men, unless he increases his physical stature. Reminds me of Willo Flood, but different type of player. I wouldn’t be overly excited by him at this stage, let’s see where he is in 2 years time

Olé Olé
18/07/2019, 9:58 PM
https://youtu.be/nKPciAEoxOE
Interview with Joe Hodge. He seems happy he's with us. Skip to 3:20.

liamoo11
18/07/2019, 10:22 PM
Agree, he has been the main positive from this tournament. He should be able to take his pick of a number of clubs for next season. He looks ready for first team football, hopefully he will get the chance. Hodge was good first game, average today. Kind of player who could disappear once he’s up against men, unless he increases his physical stature. Reminds me of Willo Flood, but different type of player. I wouldn’t be overly excited by him at this stage, let’s see where he is in 2 years time

Willo flood was a bag of energy and bustle but his technique never seemed top level. Hodge reminds me Stephen Ireland when he was breaking through with that ability to take the ball under pressure or on the half turn and find a pass.

Hopefully city move him out to holland next summer to progress him along. He could do with a bit of a late growth spurt alright but that engine and burst of acceleration combined with that technique and game awareness is a lovely combination.

Olé Olé
18/07/2019, 10:30 PM
One thing I find amazing watching him is when we lose the ball he manages to change into a defensive stance and move into a defensive position earlier than anyone. He seems to see where we are over-loaded, split that and then squat into a position.

elatedscum
19/07/2019, 5:32 PM
Have heard plenty of negativity around about these lads. But overall, you’d be pretty encouraged I feel. We’re playing against the best teams in Europe and I can’t imagine anyone has as many withdrawals as we’ve had. The fact that probably 18 of our preferred 20 ply their trade outside Ireland leaves us at a unique disadvantage when a tournament is played outside a FIFA window. Clubs are far more receptive to requests from their home FAs and if those lads were being called up for England, I’d say half of them would be allowed to play. The fact Conor Coventry wasn’t released by West Ham is a disgrace considering he didn’t make their preseason squad. In the tournament, there are 5 2002 born players, 4 of them are playing for Ireland. And when 2000 and 2001 are exceptional years for young Irish players, it speaks volumes. Using just lads who weren’t involved in the tournament for whatever reason, you could create a side like this:

Bazunu

Gaston, Collins, Sobawele, Connell

Bolger Coventry

Obafemi Parrott Connolly

Idah

And that’s leaving out the likes of Knight, Smallbone, Okoflex, Johansson, Doherty, Ferry, Kilkenny.

As for the lads who are there: Afolabi has looked fantastic. For guys playing two age levels up, Hodge and Everett have done very well. McEntee has looked commanding. Lyons never seems to get beaten. Reghba is also a handful. He was up against a very good fullback and held his own. Maher made some great saves and clearly has potential. Lee O’Connor is doing an admirable job playing out of position.

None of these players are the finished product and at 16-19, you wouldn’t expect them to be. But across the board, there’s potential there. A win against the Czechs and they’re most likely through. Considering the circumstances, that’s a very respectable position to be in.

tommy_c12000
21/07/2019, 5:39 PM
Afolabi can take his pick of clubs after this tournament. So impressive. Lovely goal to put ireland 1-0 up vs Czech. Still 0-0 in other game

Olé Olé
21/07/2019, 6:02 PM
Brilliant Afolabi, brilliant. Honestly not sure what he's missing. As I said for France game, the man can come short or long. Has beautiful control. Is very strong and fast. And can finish.

I think a great outcome from this tournament would be if he signed up with a good German side.

Olé Olé
21/07/2019, 6:39 PM
Goal for Czechs. 1-1. We still go through once we don't lose and Norway don't win. Our goal difference is superior to both of these.

Olé Olé
21/07/2019, 6:47 PM
Hopefully it won't go to that. 2-1 to us. Barry Coffey. We are now 2 points ahead of Norway.

Olé Olé
21/07/2019, 6:52 PM
O'Connor and Afolabi out of next round with yellows anyway I think. Makes life very, very difficult.

geysir
21/07/2019, 7:02 PM
Great win but those 2 suspensions leave a bad taste, if anybody deserved a yellow it was the goalie. 2 bizarre refereeing decisions, I hope that ref's international career is fcked for good.
The defending by the centre halves was a joy to watch. All round magnificent achievement to get into the semi final.

liamoo11
21/07/2019, 7:05 PM
Great achievement. Played good sensible football went long when it was on like for the first goal and played through the lines really well. Hodge really can do it all . Those bookings very harsh. Gives regba a chance up top I guess and maybe a chance for ebosele s power and pace to make up for his 17s disappointment

Eirambler
21/07/2019, 7:12 PM
Considering all the missing players to get to the semis alongside Spain, Portugal and France is an exceptional achievement. Afolabi and Hodge looked the stand outs again. Incredible that Hodge is only 16, if he can bulk up a little bit he could be a real star, hopefully for us and not England.

I was actually talking to a head of football operations at a British club during the week and I recommended Afolabi to him, I doubt anything will come of it though as I'd expect he'll have his pick of a few bigger clubs after this.

Obviously the big disappointment is the suspensions, turns a difficult task against Portugal into an almost impossible one, also there's no third place playoff so two of our best players are almost certainly out of the tournament now. Hopefully we can qualify again next year given so many of these lads will be underage again, a similar performance in next year's tournament would get us into the Under 20 World Cup.

samhaydenjr
21/07/2019, 8:03 PM
That. Was. Fantastic! I only caught the last twenty minutes (I thought it was on at 1pm CET and had slept through it only to come on here and realise there were twenty minutes left and race to the UEFA site to watch the end!) But what a reaction! I thought when the Czechs scored it meant more heartbreak for us (commentator said we would have been out on disciplinary record) but not for this team! Walked right back up the park and scored a lovely team goal, with Hodge (still only 16!) ripping the Czechs apart with a beautiful pass - get him to bulk up a little and he really is going to be a star (just don't tell the English FA!).

And as for Afolabi... he's probably still our sixth or seventh most exciting teenage striking prospect... and he's awesome!!! And to think - after outpacing and outmuscling one Czech defender, he had no qualms about switching to his right foot and finishing clinically, even though that's his weaker foot! Surely somebody will snap him up in the next few weeks.

It is amazing to remember that two years ago we were staring down the barrel of a potential crisis up front - Keane had retired and Doyle, Murphy and Walters were very close to it, while Long was misfiring. And then some green shoots started to appear, which were noted by us here on foot.ie (probably ahead of the regular sports media) - first Ronan Hale, then Glen McAuley - and then Afolabi, Connolly, Obafemi, Idah, Cassidy, Parrott and Okoflex all appeared on the radar in quick succession. But our hope was tempered by the knowledge that goalscoring streaks at U18 level are still a long way away from being able to play at the top level and that the proportion of players who make it through is low. And while Hale has had to step down a couple of levels (for now, anyway) and McAuley is in limbo currently, all the others are on track for success at least, with Obafemi already having made the breakthrough, while Parrott, Idah, Okoflex and Connolly seem to be right on the verge of senior club football at a high level. Even Afolabi's free agent status shouldn't last long if any scouts are watching this tournament.

And remember... with all of the withdrawals from the squad, this is probably close to our reserve U19s... and they are now confirmed as one of the top four U19 teams in Europe! It's a great achievement and hopefully a sign (along with the U17s' recent achievements) that we may be on the verge of a new Golden Generation. So congratulations to all involved and all the best against Portugal - if the performance against France is anything to go by, we have every chance of going right to the final!

Olé Olé
21/07/2019, 8:13 PM
Sam, your positivity is as infectious as it is substantiated.

Agree with everything you say. But I feel Afolabi has worked his way into contention as being one of our bright striking prospects. After Parrott and Obafemi, I'd have him up there with Idah and maybe before. He has shown so much quality in these games that I don't think Idah has yet. Idah can get there but I think Idah has the finishing, Afolabi has all else.

Again, I hope Afolabi gets a right good move. I'm shocked Southampton released him.

I would be surprised if we hold onto Hodge. I know he went with us but he was always on the radar of underage sides above his own age for us, like Grealish was. He has only one Irish grandparent and I find that worrying. Rice had two. Grealish had three. Once bitten, twice as shy. Twice bitten?

liamoo11
21/07/2019, 8:51 PM

Agree with everything you say. But I feel Afolabi has worked his way into contention as being one of our bright striking prospects. After Parrott and Obafemi, I'd have him up there with Idah and maybe before. He has shown so much quality in these games that I don't think Idah has yet. Idah can get there but I think Idah has the finishing, Afolabi has all else.

Again, I hope Afolabi gets a right good move. I'm shocked Southampton released him.

I would be surprised if we hold onto Hodge. I know he went with us but he was always on the radar of underage sides above his own age for us, like Grealish was. He has only one Irish grandparent and I find that worrying. Rice had two. Grealish had three. Once bitten, twice as shy. Twice bitten?

Midway through last season hodge is first choice for England under 17s and obviously first choice for us. England have a fantastic chance to win the euro 17s in Ireland and obviously we are qualified as hosts. Why would hodge choose us and not England if he did not want to commit to us? The simple thing to do would have been to stay with England go to the euros and have a better chance of winning it that with Ireland and obviously still have a chance to switch back to us in the future.

Grealish was never involved with England at an age such as under 17 where you could be capped competitively.

Stephen Kenny will hopefully put the plan he outlined for rice into action now and involve hodge with the 21s this season and cap him in the nations league next season when he is 18 and likely playing in Holland on loan from city like that Smith lad who dominated us for Wales was this season

samhaydenjr
21/07/2019, 9:26 PM

Thanks Olé - I saw some celebrity getting interviewed a few years ago and they quoted their father when asked about whether you should see the glass as half-full or half-empty as saying "it depends whether you're drinking or pouring". Right now we're definitely pouring

It's great that there is such a tight gap between all these young lads - it's sometimes seemed over the past two years that they're trying to one-up each other. And Afolabi has been terrific. Just before he did that trial period at Millwall, he was scoring at a similar rate for Southampton's U23s as Obafemi was just before his promotion. I think I heard that he had an option to stay but has made the brave choice to seek first-team football. For now I would still consider Idah to be ahead of Afolabi, as he is scoring in pre-season for a Premier league club who have given him a long-term deal. But, yes, that could change in the next six weeks if Afolabi gets a good deal and starts playing and scoring at a high level

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be planning our 2026 campaign around Hodge for now - a lot can happen between now and the time he is 20. On the upside, England can only use so many Irish-qualified players and Grealish's experience might actually work in our favour, as he is still waiting for his first cap four years later. Meanwhile Callum O'Dowda, a player around the same age and ability, already has 15 caps. So hopefully this will give the likes of Connell and Hodge pause for thought. Plus Hodge's size might make England reluctant to use him as they may seek bigger, more athletic midfielders - this may not be an issue for us as we are constantly on the look-out for a technical, ball-playing midfielder.

Olé Olé
22/07/2019, 1:13 PM
The 42 are covering this well. Another interview. This with goalscoring hero, Barry Coffey.

Olé Olé
22/07/2019, 1:13 PM
‘Mam, Dad, they put a lot of work into me. It’s nice to repay them with moments like last night’ https://the42.ie/4734216

Deckydee
23/07/2019, 7:37 AM
Some great talent coming through!

geysir
23/07/2019, 12:46 PM
4pm kick off local time Yerevan, 38c the hottest part of the day. The Sahara desert is an icebox in comparison.

DeLorean
23/07/2019, 1:40 PM
4pm kick off local time Yerevan, 38c the hottest part of the day. The Sahara desert is an icebox in comparison.

6pm local time I think, so we should be grand. :)

geysir
23/07/2019, 3:43 PM
Still 38c, but a cooler 38c no doubt.

samhaydenjr
23/07/2019, 10:18 PM
Yes, but it's a dry Hell

Olé Olé
24/07/2019, 1:53 PM
https://twitter.com/KennysKids/status/1154013623955656704?s=19

Missing some stars but still a solid side. Reghba will really need to step up in the 9 spot.

elatedscum
24/07/2019, 1:56 PM
Same starting 11 as before, except for Coffey and Brennan coming in for the two suspended boys. Don't remember seeing Brennan play but thought he was a defender, so no idea how that's gonna work. Regbha up top. Hopefully not Ledwidge out wide again.

tetsujin1979
24/07/2019, 2:40 PM
1-0 down after a penalty conceded by Hodge, two great chances to equalise so far from Coffey and McGuinness.

nigel-harps1954
24/07/2019, 2:57 PM
Very poor second goal given away should really kill it as a contest now. Couple of big chances to score as well, really needed to be taking one. Big second half, will tell a lot about the character of these young lads.

geysir
24/07/2019, 3:45 PM
Afaics there are no questions of character to answer. This asembled squad have shown exceptional character in this tournament and 2 best players suspended for no good reason in this game.

tommy_c12000
24/07/2019, 3:47 PM
Successful tournament on the whole. Not too bothered by result, it’s all about player development for senior team. 3 main takeaways for me

1. Mohan is natural successor to Kenny at under 21 level

2. Afolabi much better than I expected, pace, skill, dribbling, finishing, passing were all on point. He should get some good offers in the coming days. He looks to be a fantastic signing on a free for most teams

3. Hodge is a prospect, needs physical maturation. We should continue to promote him up the levels (too small for more advanced levels with England), hopefully he will stay with us and we can secure him at senior level if he continues to improve in the next year or two