PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Denmark - Saturday, 13th October 2018 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

nigel-harps1954
04/10/2018, 10:59 AM
Squad announced. First callup for Richie Towell. Harry Arter back in. No Rice.

Republic of Ireland Provisional Squad
Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Colin Doyle (Hearts), Sean McDermott (Kristiansund BK)
Defenders: Cyrus Christie (Fulham), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Kevin Long (Burnley), John Egan, Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan, Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Greg Cunningham (Cardiff City)
Midfielders: Alan Judge (Brentford), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Shaun Williams (Millwall), David Meyler (Reading), Harry Arter (Cardiff City*), Daryl Horgan (Hibernian), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Richie Towell (Rotherham United*)
Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Graham Burke, Callum Robinson, Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth)
*Indicates player is on loan

tetsujin1979
04/10/2018, 11:01 AM
Rowell missed rotherham's game last night with an injury!

pineapple stu
04/10/2018, 11:15 AM
Looks a weaker squad than the last one (no Rice, Walters), which itself was one of the weakest squads we'd had for years...

marinobohs
04/10/2018, 11:36 AM
makes pretty grim reading alright. going to need a game plan, togetherness (and possibly three hail Mary's:o) to get anything out of these games. Not one area of the team I would be comfortable with.

tetsujin1979
04/10/2018, 11:43 AM
Independent.ie posted this article earlier
Denmark leave out Eriksen as Arter remains in Irish exile (https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/denmark-leave-out-eriksen-as-arter-remains-in-irish-exile-37383625.html)
Meanwhile, it's understood that peace talks between Roy Keane and Harry Arter have not materialised so the Cardiff midfielder is set to remain in his self-imposed exile.

but according to the FAI earlier, they did speak

Bit surprised at Dan McDonnell, he's usually pretty reliable

Olé Olé
04/10/2018, 7:44 PM
Egg on the face for Dan. He's normally the most reliable at the Indo. A few of his colleagues report more baseless stuff more often.

Has Towell been that much better than Manning at Rotherham?

OwlsFan
05/10/2018, 10:05 AM
Looks a weaker squad than the last one (no Rice, Walters), which itself was one of the weakest squads we'd had for years...

I am not sure. We have a reasonable defence and some promising players in mid-field, even without the missing James McCarthy. It's up front where the main problem lies as we all suspected for years that it would be once Robbie retired.

Olé Olé
05/10/2018, 11:14 AM
I am not sure. We have a reasonable defence and some promising players in mid-field, even without the missing James McCarthy. It's up front where the main problem lies as we all suspected for years that it would be once Robbie retired.

I agree. Hendrick and Arter haven't always set the world alight but are good options now. McCarthy and Brady will be good options when they return. Browne and O'Dowda should be important players in the future so they should be offered a chance to develop. McClean is there too, although my mentions above are more for our options in the more central positions, with Brady and O'Dowda showing promise previously as number 8s.

Stuttgart88
05/10/2018, 12:04 PM
Egg on the face for Dan. He's normally the most reliable at the Indo. A few of his colleagues report more baseless stuff more often.

Has Towell been that much better than Manning at Rotherham?

Different positions though.

Diggs246
07/10/2018, 11:12 PM
I would go with this team
-------- -Randy
------ kevin long Duffy Egan
---Matt D Stevens
Williams--- Arter----- Mcclean
O"Dowda
------------ ------- Robinson

Olé Olé
07/10/2018, 11:35 PM
I would go with this team
-------- -Randy
------ kevin long Duffy Egan
---Matt D Stevens
Williams--- Arter----- Mcclean
O"Dowda
------------ ------- Robinson

I'm not against the team but it might look different if Seani and/or Shane Long were fit. Also MON would likely start Hendrick but I can understand giving Williams a go. I think Browne ought to be given a shot. I think he has a lot to offer us once he can adapt to this level.

Diggs246
08/10/2018, 11:16 AM
I'm not against the team but it might look different if Seani and/or Shane Long were fit. Also MON would likely start Hendrick but I can understand giving Williams a go. I think Browne ought to be given a shot. I think he has a lot to offer us once he can adapt to this level.

I thnk the wales game was Jeffs Waterloo, I think he will be dropped for the danmark game

Olé Olé
08/10/2018, 11:39 AM
I thnk the wales game was Jeffs Waterloo, I think he will be dropped for the danmark game

He has had a few Waterloos though. Austria at home was as lacklustre a performance as anyone has given in the Ireland jersey.

Diggs246
08/10/2018, 11:45 AM
He has had a few Waterloos though. Austria at home was as lacklustre a performance as anyone has given in the Ireland jersey.

that's true, but he has also lost his place with Burnley now and I think that will be enough for O'Neill to drop him

rebelmusic
08/10/2018, 12:42 PM
I am not sure. We have a reasonable defense and some promising players in mid-field, even without the missing James McCarthy. It's up front where the main problem lies as we all suspected for years that it would be once Robbie retired.

It still amazes me Robbie was ever called underrated / didn't score in the important goals. We would have made it to 2002 without him - it would have been the last time we qualified without him - and we'd all still like Henry

Robbie retiring really showed that the FAI are still in Jackie land and, realistically, draws, sneaking a 1-0 win and playoffs might be the only realistic target until the U-17 lads mature.

The last two management picks is the proof in the pudding.
Trap was trying to make us into Iceland but insulted his players too much.
Mon is trying to make us into his Leicester of old - and things were going great...until he start insulting his players ability

Put them under pressure....and raise our collective blood pressure every game again
And its an inevitable reaction to the constant negative interviewing and analysis that's 10 times worse than it was under Jack.

WHY CANT YOU PLAY HOOLIHAN!!!!! ANDY REIDD!! - what other answer is there? WE don't have the player makeup to use utility players effectively against teams with a strong counter.

Thanks bejaysus Dunphy is gone and maybe, just maybe the plague of negative and BS dreams of "street players" is gone.

I've always amazingly thought Stan would have come good if it wasn't that miserable vulture doing all he could to turn public opinion against Stan from match No.2

Diggs246
09/10/2018, 11:43 AM
Cunningham,Horgan, Judge, Towell, Burke & Curtis (u21) cut from squad

tetsujin1979
09/10/2018, 12:07 PM
Towell hasn't been involved in either of Rotherham's last two games, so I was surprised he was called up in the first place

Diggs246
09/10/2018, 12:51 PM
Our keeper situation is very serious, if Randy gets injured we are in hot water
Doyle is not very good and is not getting his place for Hearts anyway.
Elliot, Westwood and O'Malley have all lost their places at club level
Ive never seen Sean McDermott play, but I'm not sure if he is even a full time Pro

IsMiseSean
09/10/2018, 1:01 PM
Cunningham,Horgan, Judge, Towell, Burke & Curtis (u21) cut from squad

Interesting looking at the players cut. There's a lack of wide men in the squad now. McClean, O'Dowda & Doherty are natural wide players. O'Brien & Robinson have played there for the clubs from time to time.
Reckon we'll be going 352 against Denmark.

Olé Olé
09/10/2018, 1:14 PM
Cunningham started for Cardiff at the weekend. He must be getting frustrated given that Williams and Stevens are still in the Championship.

tetsujin1979
09/10/2018, 1:30 PM
Cunningham started for Cardiff at the weekend. He must be getting frustrated given that Williams and Stevens are still in the Championship.
No, he wasn't even involved with the matchday squad

Diggs246
09/10/2018, 2:06 PM

He was poor for both goals against Burnley. I would cut him too

Olé Olé
09/10/2018, 3:43 PM
No, he wasn't even involved with the matchday squad

Apologies- must have been the previous game.

irishfan86
09/10/2018, 4:21 PM
Really have not been impressed with Cunningham when I’ve seen him. The term flat footed really applies. Always seems one step behind.

Like much of the Cardiff squad, he looks to be a Chamionship player playing in the Premier League. If he’s our best option, so be it, but I won’t be criticizing O’Neill for leaving him out of final squad.

OwlsFan
11/10/2018, 11:18 AM
It will be interesting to see what style of football we will TRY and play. We have some competent players on the ball, albeit mostly of Championship ilk, in midfield and midgets for the most part up front, assuming Long won't be fit. We did ok against Poland. Whatever style, let's get back to the quick tempo and put them under pressure style which has served us well in the past rather than sitting back and letting them dictate play.

zero
11/10/2018, 12:37 PM
I'm kind of hoping we go 5-3-2 / 5-4-1-1 just to see if that Poland game was any kind of barometer for how it could work or as meaningless as it seemed when watching.

Something like:

Randolph
Doherty Long Duffy Clark/Keogh/Egan Stevens
Arter Hendrick McClean
Long
O'Brien

Possibly McClean behing O'Brien and O'Dowda coming in. Williams may also deserve the nod over Hendrick/Arter.

paul_oshea
11/10/2018, 2:54 PM
Zero i thought it was meaningless too, so I'd like to see it against Denmark, especially now as Eriksen is out we can be on the front foot mroe and leave space in behind without being worried about being punished. Like the home leg playoff.

tetsujin1979
11/10/2018, 10:54 PM
Bale likely to miss Ireland game: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12018/11523922/ryan-giggs-says-gareth-bale-likely-to-miss-wales-match-with-republic-of-ireland

samhaydenjr
11/10/2018, 11:06 PM
I'm kind of hoping we go 5-3-2 / 5-4-1-1 just to see if that Poland game was any kind of barometer for how it could work or as meaningless as it seemed when watching.

Something like:

Randolph
Doherty Long Duffy Clark/Keogh/Egan Stevens
Arter Hendrick McClean
Long
O'Brien

Possibly McClean behing O'Brien and O'Dowda coming in. Williams may also deserve the nod over Hendrick/Arter.

That sounds like an awesome formation, but we might get in a bit of trouble if we tried it - for how long after kick-off do you think we'd get away with it?

zero
12/10/2018, 12:26 PM
That sounds like an awesome formation, but we might get in a bit of trouble if we tried it - for how long after kick-off do you think we'd get away with it?

bah, i was thinking 5-4-1, but o'neill tends to go with 2 up front (one target man and one runner) so was then thinking 5-3-1-1... you know what i meant!

Diggs246
12/10/2018, 12:40 PM

Press conference eariler
Looks like i was wrong and jeff will start tomorrow.. yet again another chance which he doesnt deserve

irishfan86
12/10/2018, 8:07 PM
Press conference eariler
Looks like i was wrong and jeff will start tomorrow.. yet again another chance which he doesnt deserve

Was it explicitly mentioned Hendrick would start? O'Neill brought out Meyler to the news conference before the Wales match and then didn't start him.

backstothewall
12/10/2018, 9:16 PM
I can't see how we can fit Mcclean into any side playing 3 at the back. But it might be worth starting him on the bench to see how we look in a competitive game set up that way. It would probably get the best out most players in our squad.

backstothewall
12/10/2018, 11:40 PM
Thought about it for a while more.

I came up with this

---------------- Randolph ----------------
-------- Duffy(c) Williams Egan ---------
Doherty ------------------------- Stevens
------------ Arter - Hourihane -----------
---------------- Hendrick -----------------
------------ Maguire Robinson -----------

Doherty has to start and we looked better with the back 3 against Poland.

With 3 at the back i think it's of benefit to have one of the 3 be a ball player than the typical Irish centre back. It would be great to have someone who can step out of defence with the ball and give it to Arter etc. We all know how difficult we've found it to play that 10 yard pass in the last few years. Ideally Rice will take this role for if we go with a back 3 in future, but Coleman could be another option if he isn't available to us. But for tomorrow Williams is available and has played there before from what i can work out so I'd give him a go as a shot to nothing.

Hourihane gets the nod in midfield as he offers balance and a threat from self pieces, and I'm going with the established partnership from Preston up front.

Olé Olé
13/10/2018, 8:30 AM
What's the clamour for Williams? He has 6 Championship appearances this season. I would much rather see Lenihan get a start. Looked good in the match in the US and has been ever-present for Blackburn.

Fixer82
13/10/2018, 11:51 AM
Williams was excellent against Poland and did what we’ve been crying out for our midfielders to do for a long time.

Olé Olé
13/10/2018, 12:14 PM
Williams was excellent against Poland and did what we’ve been crying out for our midfielders to do for a long time.

I assumed he meant Derrick as opposed to Shaun. He meant Shaun so, I'll assume. In that case, I would definitely start Shaun but in midfield. I don't see what Hourihane has done to merit starting in midfield ahead of Williams. I know he's older but at least he can play a part in this campaign. Hourihane is hardly one for the long-term and needs to show more.

I would love to see Browne getting a good run. I don't think he has done much to merit starting based on past appearances but his age and form for Preston make me think he's worth persisting with for the long-term.

backstothewall
13/10/2018, 2:36 PM
I picked Hourihane in midfield as he is younger and is excellent at taking direct free-kick. Think Robbie Brady, with the one slight difference being that they go in fairly regularly.

Fixer82
13/10/2018, 3:38 PM
I assumed he meant Derrick as opposed to Shaun. He meant Shaun so, I'll assume. In that case, I would definitely start Shaun but in midfield. I don't see what Hourihane has done to merit starting in midfield ahead of Williams. I know he's older but at least he can play a part in this campaign. Hourihane is hardly one for the long-term and needs to show more.

I would love to see Browne getting a good run. I don't think he has done much to merit starting based on past appearances but his age and form for Preston make me think he's worth persisting with for the long-term.

Agree

TrapAPony
13/10/2018, 6:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpZ4BYvX4AAw5ur.jpg

tetsujin1979
13/10/2018, 6:37 PM
That puts those "Doherty can still declare for the Netherlands" stories to bed

TrapAPony
13/10/2018, 6:39 PM
That puts those "Doherty can still declare for the Netherlands" stories to bed

He could still pull out before kick off;)

liamoo11
13/10/2018, 6:44 PM
god I hope that's o dowda playing at the point of the diamond behind long with clean left of the midfield three. Don't like arter anchoring would even rather Jeff was the anchor

liamoo11
13/10/2018, 6:46 PM
I assume Doherty is left full surely not switching poor Christie over

Olé Olé
13/10/2018, 6:56 PM
Yeah, what do people think the line up is?
Keogh, Duffy, Long at CB. Doherty LWB and Christie RWB. I think there's some form of diamond behind Long too. Or else it's Arter and Hendrick at the base with McClean and O'Dowda expected to play on the pocket either side of Long and between Long and the wing backs?

tetsujin1979
13/10/2018, 7:10 PM
This is the official lineup

mark12345
13/10/2018, 7:13 PM
I assume Doherty is left full surely not switching poor Christie over

The lad is in flying form on the right wing for Wolves and we give him his competitive debut on the left. Yeah I can see the logic in that

liamoo11
13/10/2018, 7:18 PM
The lad is in flying form on the right wing for Wolves and we give him his competitive debut on the left. Yeah I can see the logic in that
he played most of last season left full at wolves. I am unaware of Christie playing that amount of games in any position other than right full. So yes I would be happier if Doherty played left full in the team picked tonight

TrapAPony
13/10/2018, 7:27 PM
Doherty playing at right wing back according to O'Neill on Sky Sports

shakermaker1982
13/10/2018, 7:36 PM
Doherty is on the right. MO’N just confirmed it on Sky Sports.