PDA

View Full Version : Zidane would like to play in Dublin

Sunnyside Up
31/03/2005, 10:07 PM
Can't speak much of the auld French myself but according to L'equipe, he says it would be cool to play and win in front of 50,000 Irish fans.

http://www.lequipetv.fr/Football/20050331_193035_01.html

«Vous savez que cela ne se fera pas, mais revenir à Dublin, jouer à Lansdowne Road devant 50 000 Irlandais, gagner et repartir, ça m'irait bien. Oui, j'aimerais bien», a-t-il déclaré.

Slash/ED
31/03/2005, 10:08 PM
Good, sign him up Olly, but he's retired internationally and he can't go bloody changing his mind now :D

brine3
31/03/2005, 10:31 PM
This is his way of putting the pressure on the current French manager.

If Keane cleans him up like he did in the Delle Alpi in 1999 then grand.

thejollyrodger
31/03/2005, 10:35 PM
is this Aprils Fools day ????????

NON !!! we dont need that

maybe he meant he wants to play for Shels ? we could fit him in somewhere

onenilgameover
31/03/2005, 10:42 PM
The fans have been calling for him to come back...Great stuff lets have him in Dublin. No way we can lose this one. I fear the Swiss more than the French. Were is he gettin 50,000 from anyway and what does it matter that he plays infront of Irish, English, Welsh or Outermongolian. They know gig is up and are looking for excuses left right and centre.

eirebhoy
31/03/2005, 11:18 PM
Translation:

In an interview to the L'Equipe magazine, which will appear on Saturday, Zinedine Zidane implied that he would like to return to the French team, for just one encounter.

For him, the match in question would be that which France will play next September against Ireland, in Dublin, in qualification heats of the World cup. For ZZ, "this is where the risk is large ".

"You know that it will not be done, but to come back to Dublin, to play in Lansdowne Road in front of 50 000 Irishmen, win and set off again, that would suit me well. Yes, I would like that very much", he declared.
I can see this happening. He'll look at what Roy Keane did and take example. He was not expecting France to have such a difficult task in qualifying.

"You know that it will not be done" - I feel that is basically leaving it in Domenech's hands. He doesn't want to make it out like he feels he has the right to walk back into the team imo.

JimmyP
31/03/2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I hope this isn't goin' to happen...:( :eek:

FarBeag
01/04/2005, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=Sunnyside Up]Can't speak much of the auld French myself but according to L'equipe, he says it would be cool to play and win in front of 50,000 Irish fans.

http://www.lequipetv.fr/Football/20050331_193035_01.html

«Vous savez que cela ne se fera pas, mais revenir à Dublin, jouer à Lansdowne Road devant 50 000 Irlandais, gagner et repartir, ça m'irait bien. Oui, j'aimerais bien», a-t-il déclaré.[/QUOTE..

Maybe he feels that it would be a cool move to play in front of 50,000 Irish (if we could fit them it),but the whole population of Ireland that know the slightest thing about how good this bloke is dont.Tell him the Swiss are nicer people.

Hibs4Ever
01/04/2005, 6:57 AM
is this Aprils Fools day ????????

NON !!! we dont need that

maybe he meant he wants to play for Shels ? we could fit him in somewhere

He said in front of 50,000 fans. Not 50 :D

Stuttgart88
01/04/2005, 7:00 AM
I think I saw him play at Dalyer, for Bordeaux against Bohs, around 95 or 96 before he was famous. Dublin must have made an impression on him.

Anyway, someone should tell him that full capacity is only 35,000 these days and we're not as loud as we used to be.

Could you imagine the reaction if Keane said something similar?

concanta
01/04/2005, 7:12 AM
I would prefer him NOT to be there but do we have that much to fear.
He is not the player of old and if he comes back so be it

Dawn_Run
01/04/2005, 7:56 AM

We should bring back Aldo or Cascarino :D - aldo looked promising against the celebs last weekend

elroy
01/04/2005, 10:41 AM
Lads just saw on the fifa site, this is true, he could very well come back, would not be good news at all for us

eirebhoy
01/04/2005, 10:43 AM
Put it this way, if he didn't retire France would be top of this group by a big margin. He is still a magician.

Domemech:
"I would welcome him and I would select him with great happiness. I would just like to know that this is a reality."
"The door is wide open,"
"Zizou is still one of the best players in the world and if he says he is eligible, I will call him with great joy."

Don Vito
01/04/2005, 10:46 AM
Bring it on I say, I still think we'd get a result against them, its gonna take more than one player to turn this French side around. They're running scared in this group now, the Israelis had them on the rack on Wednesday night and could well have snatched the win. The pressure was evident in the time wasting substitution they French and how deep they sat back (I know Trez was off at this stage but they still sat very deep).

concanta
01/04/2005, 10:52 AM
dont get me wrong
I still think he is a good player but i dont think he is an influential as the past
I agree that it is the team in general that is the problem with the french

with or without zidane I honestly cannot see us losing to France

elroy
01/04/2005, 10:58 AM
Boys just realised what day this is? its prob an april fool?

Stuttgart88
01/04/2005, 11:00 AM
ou un Avril poisson

eirebhoy
01/04/2005, 11:14 AM
No its not. :) Don't think Zidane would do such a thing and don't think Domenech would fall for it. :D ;)

Baker
01/04/2005, 12:14 PM
According to soccernet this isnt an April Fools:
'I've already said the French team was the most beautiful thing that happened to me. It would be nice for me to come back, but I do not want to talk about it,' he told sports daily L'Equipe on Friday.

'The biggest risk (in the qualifying campaign) is the game in Dublin against Ireland. That is the only one, I'm sure of it.

The French Football Federation said it had contacted L'Equipe, who assured the interview was genuine on a day when hoax stories and pratical jokes in the media are common place.
However I think it is very unlikely that he will come back for them. At least I hope so, he still has what it takes especially in a really tight game which it will be at Landsdowne.

This seems to have really excited the French though. Coupled with their moaning about the fixture schedules shows how nervous they are becoming!

thejollyrodger
01/04/2005, 12:39 PM
He said in front of 50,000 fans. Not 50

:D :D HAHAHA. Just to remind you that Shels have the biggest attendence record ever. That match against deportivo ;) I think ZiZu has always been a fan of Ollie Byrne.

NeilMcD
01/04/2005, 12:50 PM
The leader of play and ex-international Zinédine Zidane, while affirming that a return in team of France "will not be done", underline its desire for playing with the Blue ones against Eire, September 7 in Dublin, in qualifications at the World 2006, reveal the daily newspaper the Team in her edition of Friday.

"You know well that that will not be made (return in team of France, note), explain the ex N.10 of the Blue ones. But to return to Dublin, to play Lansdowne Road in front of 50.000 Irishmen, to gain and set out again, that would suit me well ".
These remarks were made with reporters of the Magazine Team, the weekly supplement of the sporting daily newspaper, last 25 January, specify the Team.
In another maintenance with the Magazine Team, carried out on March 21 in company of Hicham El-Guerrouj, "Zizou", challenged by the Moroccan Olympic champion on a possible
participation in a third World cup, had answered: "I already said that the team of France is the most beautiful thing
which arrived to me. It would be although I return... But I do not want to speak about that ".
The trainer of the team of France, Raymond Domenech, affirmed on its side to the Team of Friday that Zidane was "always one
of the best players of the world, adding that "if it declares sélectionnable again I will accomodate it
and will select it with a great happiness."
Zinédine Zidane (32 years), champion of the world 1998 and Europe in 2000, had announced on last 12 August its international retirement after 93
selections and 26 goals. The team of France currently disputes the qualifications with the
Worldone. First of their group with ten points, the Blue ones count however only two victories in six meetings, for four matches null.

elroy
01/04/2005, 12:54 PM
whats the story with Pires? has he retired or is it cos of a dispute with the coach?

NeilMcD
01/04/2005, 12:56 PM
Zidane would like Lansdowne bout
Emmet Malone, Soccer Correspondent

Soccer/World Cup Group Four: With the French national team's hopes of qualifying for the World Cup having suffered another blow in Tel Aviv on Wednesday night, Zinedine Zidane has given what is being seen in France as a strong hint he would be willing to come out of international retirement this summer if coach Raymond Domenech requests that he do so.

In an interview with the daily sports newspaper, L'Equipe, the Real Madrid midfielder said: "You know I would like to be back in Dublin to play at Lansdowne Road in front of 50,000 and to help France win. I would like it, yes, I would like it but it will not happen."

The comments have fuelled speculation that Zidane would, in fact, welcome an approach and that Domenech will be obliged to ask not only the former World Player of the Year to return but also a number of France's other former stars including Claude Makelele and Bixente Lizarazu as he attempts to salvage his side's chances of earning a place in Germany.

Although there is no immediate pressure on the French coach to act, given that his side does not have another competitive game until the visit of the Faroe Islands on September 3rd and the match in Dublin four days later, Domenech could do with such a lift as there is growing pressure on the national federation to replace him.

Amid ongoing reports of unrest within the squad, the nation's media have now installed the Republic of Ireland as favourites to win the group but French Federation president Jean Pierre Escalettes insisted after Wednesday's draw that he did not see any reason for a change of coach before the end of the current qualifying campaign.

Domenech's cause is not helped by the fact that he will almost certainly be without David Trezeguet for their trip to Dublin following the Juventus striker's dismissal in Israel for head-butting Tal Ben Haim. Yesterday, however, he dismissed any suggestion that his side might miss out on qualification.

"This is obviously a very tricky situation but I refuse to consider that there is chance that we will fail to qualify," he said. "We are improving with every match. I know it's going to be tough but the big sides are those who never give up."

Brian Kerr has played down the significance of Trezeguet's likely absence from the Lansdowne Road game with the Ireland boss insisting his opposite number has enough quality players at his disposal to cope.

"Trezeguet missing for France in Dublin wouldn't be as much of a problem for them as it would be for any of the others," he said while en route back to Dublin from Israel last night. "You see what they had on the bench in Tel Aviv - (Thierry) Henry and (Ludovic) Giuly - and the fact that they didn't pick (Robert) Pires. Trezeguet didn't play against us in Paris and they have enough strength in depth to cope, although losing him would not exactly help them either."

The Dubliner said that the Israel- France draw was probably advantageous to Ireland's cause although, he maintained, not especially so.

"Usually when you're competing with other teams in a situation like this you're happiest when they draw but there would have been advantages for us whatever the outcome," he observed.

"I wasn't a bit surprised to see Israel equalise," he added, "I've seen enough of them by now to know they always come late on. They did it against Cyprus, against Switzerland and against ourselves. Against the French, they just proved again they are a strong team with good morale.

"This is still the tightest group of all. I got the sense out in Tel Aviv that people felt we were the best side in the group to play there but that means nothing unless we push on from here. Home advantage hasn't really counted so far in the group and we have to make the most of it for the games against Israel, France and Switzerland.

"But to be where we are after five games in the group is satisfying to me. Everybody is still scraping for points but we've got to go about our business now in the right way. And I still see it going to the last game

Stuttgart88
01/04/2005, 1:02 PM
I hope he doesn't get sick all over our lovely pitch. Or if he does I hope he has the decency to clear it all up this time.

I was thinking that if I believed in Karma then Tel Aviv was payback time for me laughing so much at the way England vs France finished up in June

NeilMcD
01/04/2005, 1:20 PM
Dublin calling: Zidane hints at return

By Liam Mackey
ZINEDINE ZIDANE has dropped a heavy hint that he might yet be persuaded out of retirement to play for France in the World Cup qualifier in Dublin on September 7.

The retired superstar of French football is quoted in the French press as saying: “You know, I would like to be in Dublin to play in Lansdowne Road, in front of 50,000 people, to help France win.

“I would like it, yes,” he added, “but it will not happen.”

Despite that apparently emphatic conclusion, the conflicting signals sent out by the comments are being interpreted in France as leaving the door open to what would be a sensational international comeback by the Real Madrid star.

The already embattled French manager Raymond Domenech will now face even more pressure to try to persuade Zidane to resume his international career.

Meanwhile, speaking from Frankfurt Airport yesterday, en route from Tel Aviv to Dublin, Republic of Ireland boss Brian Kerr struck a philosophical note about the 1-1 draw between Israel and France in the Ramat Gan stadium on Wednesday night.

“In some ways, no matter what the result, there would have been some benefit for us,” said Kerr.

“But usually when you’re competing with other teams in a situation like this you’re happiest when they draw. Anyway, I wasn’t there to see who won - I was more concerned with the teams and especially the changes in the French side.”

On the likelihood of David Trezeguet missing the game in Dublin, once the FIFA disciplinary committee review his red card for head-butting Ben Haim, Kerr says his absence wouldn’t pose as much of a problem for the French as it would for other teams.

“You saw what they had on the bench in Tel Aviv - Henry and Giuly - and they didn’t pick Pires. Also, Trezeguet didn’t play against us in Paris. They have enough strength in depth to cope, although losing him would not exactly help them either.”

Following Wednesday’s game, Israel also will be missing a couple of players through suspension when they come to Dublin on June 4.

“The loss of Ben Haim and Badeer isn’t necessarily a big problem for Israel against us,” said Kerr. “After our game, they dealt quite well without the three who were missing against France.”

While Kerr was in Tel Aviv, Lou Macari was watching Switzerland struggle to beat Cyprus with a late, late goal.

Said Kerr: “I had felt that, with Cyprus changing their manager, they were likely to become more competitive. The consolation for us in the late goal is that the Swiss didn’t get to score more, so we’ve narrowed our goal difference with them - we’ve scored five against Cyprus and the Faroes and they’ve scored six. In a group this tight, there could be something in that as well.

“This is still the tightest group. I got the sense out in Tel Aviv that people felt we were the best side in the group to play there but that means nothing unless we push on from here. Home advantage hasn’t really counted so far in the group and we have to make the most of it for the games against Israel, France and Switzerland.”

France coach Domenech believes the battle in Group Four could go down to the wire but insists his side must make the 2006 finals in Germany.

The Swiss and the Irish have a game in hand so have the opportunity to leap ahead of France before Les Bleus are next in action during the autumn, when the qualification battle will eventually be won or lost, but Domenech refuses to consider the worst-case scenario.

“Of course we would like to have 18 points out of 18 but it’s hard even though the players have not lost hope. For me qualification is obligatory, there is no other option.

“I cannot even imagine for one second there might be another option. All the work we’ve achieved so far was for the qualification.”

“We must be proud and look ahead,” added Domenech.

“There will be a few months between now and the mouth-watering final matches.”

Domenech said he understood Trezeguet’s frustration.

“I understand his reaction because the Israeli player almost broke his leg in the previous tackle,” said Domenech.

OwlsFan
01/04/2005, 1:25 PM
I think I saw him play at Dalyer, for Bordeaux against Bohs, around 95 or 96 before he was famous. Dublin must have made an impression on him.

Oh yeh, having played at Dalymount, he can't wait to get back to Dublin :D "You can stick your San Siro, I want to play in Dalyer." :D :D :D

Stuttgart88
01/04/2005, 1:27 PM
Said Kerr: “...we’ve scored five against Cyprus and the Faroes and they’ve scored six. In a group this tight, there could be something in that as well.

7 actually. Sack him now! He's right though, it was some consolation.

NeilMcD
01/04/2005, 1:36 PM
Yeah I agree I want a manager that can count, Next we will have ten players on our team

eirebhoy
01/04/2005, 2:05 PM
Zinedine Zidane's proclaimed international comeback has, as expected, been exposed as an April Fools' Day hoax by the French ace's agent.

French daily L'Equipe ran a story with quotes from Zidane which suggested the Real Madrid playmaker would come out of international retirement to aid his country's World Cup qualifying bid.

Zidane was quoted as saying he will return to the fold for one game only - the September showdown with Republic of Ireland at Lansdowne Road.

Les Bleus coach Raymond Domenech had voiced his caution at the news, admitting he felt it was a prank.

Now, Zidane's representative - Alain Migliaccio - has confirmed that the newspaper was playing a joke.

Migliaccio admits Zidane will not change his mind about the national team as once he has made a decision, he sticks to it.

"He was never able to say that," said Migliaccio.

"When he takes a decision, he holds himself to it.

"For me, there is no more beautiful April Fools' Day joke."
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=266679&cpid=4&CLID=&lid=11&title=Zidane+return+a+hoax&channel=France

:D