PDA

View Full Version : anthem in israel

Pages : [1] 2

anto1208
31/03/2005, 12:40 PM
what happened the snthem seamed to start at the end then finish start finish start over and over !!!

glad to see killer still singing along to it :D :D

Eire06
31/03/2005, 12:43 PM
Ya it was a bit messed up alright but they never really get it right away from home do they..

Fair play to the players a good lot of them sing along :D That doubles the amount in the stadium that know the words and are singing it :rolleyes:

cullenswood
31/03/2005, 12:43 PM
They played the whole lot of it

Karlos
31/03/2005, 12:51 PM
They played the whole lot of it

that they did, not sure why we play an edited version at home games - like the long one, let's some of our fans 'hum' for longer!!! :D

monutdfc
31/03/2005, 12:52 PM
It's the full version.
Last time I remember the full version being played was for Michelle Smith's medal ceremony in Atlanta. The commentators were caught out then too!

Karlos
31/03/2005, 12:57 PM
I see Clinton good at humming along too

I kind of recall an interview with Clinton just before or around the world cup in 2002 when he said he was going to go off and learn the anthem. Probably got sidetracked with flaunting his bling around the mean streets of Birmingham!! ;)

all the same, the man's a legend and not too bad at GAA by all accounts although can't decide if that's a good or bad thing! :cool:

anto1208
31/03/2005, 1:01 PM
It's the full version.
Last time I remember the full version being played was for Michelle Smith's medal ceremony in Atlanta. The commentators were caught out then too!

are you sure i can play the full version and its different to what they played .
its sounded all wrong they played the last few cords at least 3 times during it , was expecting it to end then no there's more :D

anyway no matter thought it was funny

JimmyP
31/03/2005, 1:03 PM
It seemed like a bit of a remix all right, you could see plenty of confusion...

Dawn_Run
31/03/2005, 1:05 PM
are you sure i can play the full version and its different to what they played .
its sounded all wrong they played the last few cords at least 3 times during it , was expecting it to end then no there's more :D

anyway no matter thought it was funny

It sounded like they played the presidential salute first and then went in to the anthem. Everyone got caught out.

OwlsFan
31/03/2005, 1:07 PM
Yep, it was the full version but played at a slower than usual tempo. If memory serves me right wasn't the same version played in Giant Stadium.

I remember Mick Byrne saying how he was teaching the players the words in Irish of the anthem. Couldn't they teach those not familiar with Irish the words in English. That could do for a start.

Anyway, at the home games, not much than 50% of the fans sing the anthem so how can we blame the players.

eirebhoy
31/03/2005, 1:11 PM
Anyway, at the home games, not much than 50% of the fans sing the anthem so how can we blame the players.
I'd say 10% max.

OwlsFan
31/03/2005, 1:19 PM
Is that because they don't know the words or couldn't be ars*d ? I'm sure it's more than 10% though.

Eire06
31/03/2005, 1:20 PM
think it was the presidential salute and then the anthem alright..

The full version of the song is much longer than what was played in Isreal..

only 1 verse of the song is our anthem isn't it??

Kingdom
31/03/2005, 1:22 PM
Whatever about the anthem in Israel, Tuesday night I was embarrased by the situation we were in.

China, don't know much about them. Except that there is lots of them. I wouldn't have had any feelings about them either. However that changed. They had a few thousand in the crowd, and they definitely made themselves heard. Listening to them roar themselves hoarse for the anthem was incredible and all around me in the south terrace there was smug little f**kers just sniggering at the Chinese for attempting to sing their own National Anthem. The Irish one was up next and what happens? The usual 30,000 people humming. Grown men embarrased to sing the National Anthem of their country because Jimmy beside him maight take the ****. Disgraceful. I for one take pride in the anthem and feel priviliged to have an Irish anthem to sing.

Kingdom
31/03/2005, 1:34 PM
kingdom i hope you are from the "kingdom"

go to any gaelic match ( GAELIC NOT GAA ) and its always sung, so i dont know what gobsheens go to the soccer. having said that i cant sing and dont know the whole lot cos my irish is crap, i know the first and last. BUT if i did like most aul fellas over 40, i would be singing it as loud as possible.

fair play to the chinese, that little ***** shoudl have been told shut up.

Its a long story but the answer to your question is yes!! I am fully aware of the GAA matches but seeing as its "Foot.ie" I thought I'd keep the references to Croker absent!

roboyle
31/03/2005, 1:35 PM
From experience, the rugby internationals seem to have the most knowledgable crowds when it comes to the singing of the anthem and they also show proper respect. Alot of people at GAA matches sing it too, but then start cheering half way through. Soccer crowds don't seem to know the anthem and wait until the last line before cheering.

Karlos
31/03/2005, 1:42 PM
Yes agree with a lot of the comments thus far re: the anthmn - it's a disgrace that more people don't know it and sing it - we are possibly the least imtimadating crowd in european football when it comes to the singing of our anthmn - it would hardly rouse a sleeping dog let alone a nation and it's footballers on to glory.

I for one, had to go off and learn it myself as was never taught it in school and I would think that's the perfect place to educate young irish people in our own national anthmn - what's others peoples experiences with that?

Can any remember the anthem in Paris - thought it was sung well then by the travelling Irish?

drummerboy
31/03/2005, 2:19 PM
I brought my 7 year to his first international on Tuesday night. Its a couple of years since I managed to get tickets to an Ireland game and I too noticed people looking at me in a strange because I sung the national anthem with gusto. What's happened the patriotic Irish. Do they have to be gargled up to sing the national anthem. BTW my son also sung along as he's already been taught it in school as gaelge. It will probably be another couple of years before I get my hands on tickets again.

Eire06
31/03/2005, 2:34 PM
I was the only one around me singing it too at the top of my voice and after it some dub scumbag turns around and says I can't believe you know all the words to that song...
Was disgusted... :mad:

We shouldn't be applauded or commended for knowing it we should just know it and a shame on anyone who doesn't...

drummerboy see you mention the patriotic Irish its the same crowd who don't know or sing it who think they are being patriotic by booing Rangers players and hating the English ect.. ect..
An then theres the other side that think by being patriotic your a Republican and most likely a IRA supporter...

drummerboy
31/03/2005, 2:41 PM
I know it was only a friendly but what struck me about the other night was the lack of athmosphere from the Irish crowd. I was a regular at internationals going back to the Dalymount days when there was always an athmosphere even thought we had a poor team.

anto1208
31/03/2005, 3:07 PM
you cant give out to people for not singing it they may know it but decide to stand in respectfull silence while its being played its up to them , but i fairness i do think that the majority dont know the words but it is hard to learn ,could be worse they could start signing the soldiers song as heard at celtic !!

Eire06
31/03/2005, 3:08 PM
I know it was only a friendly but what struck me about the other night was the lack of athmosphere from the Irish crowd. I was a regular at internationals going back to the Dalymount days when there was always an athmosphere even thought we had a poor team.

At this stage the only way we are going to get an athmosphere is to do it ourselves... Even if you embarrassed just sing shout ect ect you will prob never see most of the people around you again anyway.. Chances are you'll have a few join in with you then a few will join in whith them.. thats how it happens.. Complaining about it (I do my fair sare of complaining too) won't do us any good we have to do something about..

dcfcsteve
31/03/2005, 3:29 PM
ITS THE PROPER VERSION NOT PLAYED EVER BEFORE, just pllayed slower, i couldnt beleiive the amount of people in teh pub at home saying the same as the first few posts above.

Pronane - it's the Presidential salute version (i.e. containing the prelude to be played when the Presiudent is present). Not sure if that's what you mean by thew full version, but that's what it was.

Karlos
31/03/2005, 3:31 PM
you cant give out to people for not singing it they may know it but decide to stand in respectfull silence while its being played its up to them , but i fairness i do think that the majority dont know the words but it is hard to learn ,could be worse they could start signing the soldiers song as heard at celtic !!

that's a very valid point anto, some people may well prefer to stand in silence during the anthem even if they know the words. It's the others who sing the first line then hum a little bit and then sing again for the last line that try to give the impression that they know the anthem but obviously don't that some people are probably annoyed with. I believe we should know OUR anthem and that it would ne nice if WE could sing it in unison

Silence or noice is generally irrelevant to me when it comes to actually watching football which is my prime reason for attending matches, I'm no great singer but I've a good love of football. Some people are under the impression that you must bellow every song at your full voice to give 'real' support - simply being there and parting with your cash for the priviliage is giving support in one way. Let's not forget that with football being the business and commodity it is now, some people who view football as pure entertainment (as they are entitled to do) would argue that when you pay your hard earned cash your entitled to behave in whatever acceptable mannor you wish (some would probably feel like seeking refunds given the poor performances we've had to endure recently!). :)

In the end, it would be wrong to give out or chastise anyone over their preferred method of watching football regardless of what we all think re: the athmosphere and how we like to enjoy matches. We generally never stop to think how others enjoy watching matches it always me, me, me. :rolleyes:

As a little example, I know my oul lad never sings at all at games but has missed only 4 or 5 home games since the 70's - i wouldn't be able to question his support and enjoyment of the national team just because I'm a good deal louder when I'm at the ground at most times! I sat in relative 'singing' silence (after the anthem of course :) ) the other night watching the game and likewise Vs Canada as I couldn't bring myself to sing or have 'craic', I was watching a below average game that just didn't stir me (seems to be contagious as the players felt the same!) while on the other hand I've often come back from home and away games with sore troats. Each to their own I say.

Enjoy the game the way you like and respect the views of others who wish to do the same in their own way. I believe it's important to support and vocally if you can but if you can't for what ever reason that's fine too.

Eire06
31/03/2005, 3:31 PM
Pronane - it's the Presidential salute version (i.e. containing the prelude to be played when the Presiudent is present). Not sure if that's what you mean by thew full version, but that's what it was.

Agree with you there but couldn't be bothered gettin into a discussion about it... :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
31/03/2005, 3:35 PM
I remember Mick Byrne saying how he was teaching the players the words in Irish of the anthem. Couldn't they teach those not familiar with Irish the words in English. That could do for a start.

Owlsfan - that's a truely woeful suggestion. What's the point of singing your own anthem in a language other than its meant to be in ? Do you think the Israeli's teach their new citizens their anthem in English, Russian etc first, to make it easier for them ? Do they feck. What's the point in singing a national anthem in any other language ?

Sure - why not make it even easier for the gobshoites and give up the language all together....

Only in Ireland would people not know the words to their anthem. Truly shameful and cringeworthy....

OwlsFan
31/03/2005, 4:18 PM
Owlsfan - that's a truely woeful suggestion. What's the point of singing your own anthem in a language other than its meant to be in ? Do you think the Israeli's teach their new citizens their anthem in English, Russian etc first, to make it easier for them ? Do they feck. What's the point in singing a national anthem in any other language ?

Sure - why not make it even easier for the gobshoites and give up the language all together....

Only in Ireland would people not know the words to their anthem. Truly shameful and cringeworthy....

Then why don't we all speak Irish here? Hate that hypocrisy. The Israelis don't have English spoken by 95% of the people so it's a stupid analogy. English is the language spoken by the vast majority of the people so why not sing our anthem in that language if you never learned Irish. A practical solution to standing there humming the words for the English born players (and that's whom I'm talking about).

And, as a matter of interest, why is the GAA not called CLG (I know this isn't relevant to anything but it has always puzzled me for an organisation which promotes Irish) ?

Shae_B2D
31/03/2005, 6:34 PM
Well, the weird thing is that the Israeli band which played the anthem got the notes from FAI anyway...

brine3
31/03/2005, 6:57 PM
When we have a less militant national anthem I'll sing along. Till then I'll limit myself to 'come on Ireland' at the end.

Cowboy
31/03/2005, 7:05 PM
It was written in a differnt era, get over it

When we have a less militant national anthem I'll sing along. Till then I'll limit myself to 'come on Ireland' at the end.

joeraki
31/03/2005, 7:18 PM

Would ye like something along the lines of Danas All Kinds Of Everything ? :rolleyes:

ps, anyone know what the Isreali ones about, nearly brought a tear to my glass eye so it did :p

Colie
31/03/2005, 7:28 PM
Lads theres loads about the crap atmosphere in other threads.

Not singin the national anthem because it's too militant??

"Soldiers are we
whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come
from a land beyond the wave.
Sworn to be free,
No more our ancient sire land
Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
Tonight we man the gap of danger
In Erin's cause, come woe or weal
Mid cannons" roar and rifles peal,
We'll chant a soldier's song. "

Eh, we'll protect our land & be free no matter what....sounds like every other national anthem in the world to me? As a citizens are we not prepared to protect your country from outside woes?

Try here http://www.lyricmania.com/l25643 to see how unmilitant the versus are too.

Colie
31/03/2005, 7:34 PM
ps, anyone know what the Isreali ones about, nearly brought a tear to my glass eye so it did :p

As long as deep in the heart,
The soul of a Jew yearns,
And forward to the East
To Zion, an eye looks
Our hope will not be lost,
The hope of two thousand years,
To be a free nation in our land,
The land of Zion and Jerusalem.

blobbyblob
31/03/2005, 10:50 PM
We only sing the chorus people. Shocking in this day and age that we need the Israelis to introduce us to the full version of our nation anthem

Funny watching O Shea having to start singing over all over again when the chorus kicked in

FarBeag
31/03/2005, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=OwlsFan

Anyway, at the home games, not much than 50% of the fans sing the anthem so how can we blame the players.[/QUOTE]

At least that is 45% more than the amount that open their Gobs throughout the whole match.

FarBeag
31/03/2005, 11:41 PM
Here ye are boys and Gals..This is the bit we have to know (very little ) so the more people that read this the more people we will have blasting it out at Landsdowne in June. For God sake, never be ashamed to sing something that enhances one's Irishness something we all should be proud of.

d'Amhrán na bhFiann

Sinne laochra Fáil,
Atá faoi gheall ag Éireann,
Buíon dár slua,
Thar thoinn do ráinig chugainn
Faoi mhóid bheith saor,
Seantír ár sinsear feasta
Ní fhágfar faoin tíorán ná faoi tráill;
Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil chun báis nó saoil,
Le gunna-scréach faoi lamhach na bpiléar
Seo libh canaig' Amhrán na bhFiann.

Beavis
31/03/2005, 11:50 PM
At least that is 45% more than the amount that open their Gobs throughout the whole match.

Everyone needs to get positive. I'm confident we'll have a good atmosphere for the Israel game. As for the anthem, it is a bloody disgrace. People are too embarrassed to open their mouths, and then look down on those who break their reserve to belt out the anthem and song. Anyway all you can do is fu ck the begrudgers( and there are many of them at Lansdowne) and sing it louder. Thats what we do now and we just embrace the 'on yer owns' :rolleyes: etc and keep singing longer.

BTW I cant understand how if what seems like most everyone on this board is interested in singing and creating an atmosphere, we cant get a group of us together to sing like mad whether the cynics like it or not. Say for the next friendly vs Italy? Could maybe boost things for the big Autumn home fixtures if we got some noise going, take away the eerieness of the friendly a bit.

boysingreen
01/04/2005, 12:42 AM
Belt out that anthem lads.

I was born and raised in New York, summers in Leitrim. All the same I've made it a point to learn our anthem as a damn proud Irishman. Full credit to http://www.homestead.com/div8aoh/Soldierssong.html , which serves as a great help to those of us who unfortunately haven't had any lessons in Irish. I'm ever grateful to the Ancient Order of Hibernians. With a site like that, there's no excuse, even if you currently don't know a lick of Irish, to learn that anthem and sing it proudly.

FarBeag
01/04/2005, 3:34 AM
Well done Boysingreen...Nice and simple.What we should do now is get the chorus enlarged, photo copied x 40,000 laminated and placed on every seat in landsdowne for June.Then there is no excuse for anyone not to sing along to their hearts content and show the other nations how proud we are of our Anthem ,our country and our Football team.

Stuttgart88
01/04/2005, 9:09 AM
I had to write it out 20 times for messing in Irish class when I was about 10. Good way of learning it I suppose.

I've never really noticed it being sung badly at lansdowne to be honest. I thought most of the players, including Clinton, knew the words last week.

And I wouldn't worry about the atmosphere in June. There's a lot at stake and the crowd will react accordingly.

lopez
01/04/2005, 10:31 AM
Owlsfan - that's a truely woeful suggestion. What's the point of singing your own anthem in a language other than its meant to be in ?...It was originally written in English by Peadar Kearney. Good enough for him, it's good enough for anyone.

Wonder what happens with the Belgian anthem?

Eire06
01/04/2005, 10:49 AM
It was originally written in English by Peadar Kearney. Good enough for him, it's good enough for anyone.

Wonder what happens with the Belgian anthem?

The Soliders song was written in English as a regular song by Kearney, It was decided that the would use the first verse as the national anthem so it was changed into Irish for that reason.. So really the Anthem has always been in Irish and was never intended to be sang in English :D

boysingreen
01/04/2005, 11:12 AM
Brought a smile to my face pronane. Song has a special place in my heart, as I'm sure it does many people. It tells to one extent or another many an Irishmen's story, not least my late father's, even my own. Few lines really strike a chord. We in fact went home in December cause the auld fella died. My siblings and I were born and raised a short distance from Fordham Road. My father used to talk about how that area once was "all Irish," hard to believe today.

I've actually had the intention to print out the song and hang it on my wall, with just "Not to forget, be a proud Irishman." bold and highlighted, exactly as you posted it. I never saw it anywhere in ink like that or anything, just had it in my mind, pretty ironic. Again, was great to see it posted as a kind of salute.

Cowboy
01/04/2005, 12:21 PM
I'm no expert but is this 1st line correct " laochra" ?

d'Amhrán na bhFiann

Sinne laochra Fáil,

Cowboy
01/04/2005, 12:46 PM
"fianna" is what you are looking for cowboy

Thats what I thought, but perhaps Fear Beag knows different ?

Eire06
01/04/2005, 12:52 PM
Thats what I thought, but perhaps Fear Beag knows different ?

Think it was changed to Fianna was origionaly laochra :confused:

Cowboy
01/04/2005, 12:54 PM
Think it was changed to Fianna was origionaly laochra :confused:

Can we blame Charlie Haughey for this stroke ? :)

Eire06
01/04/2005, 1:07 PM
I think laochra means Heros but have to check it up.. It was changed because Fianna sounded better apparantly :confused:

Saint Tom
01/04/2005, 1:40 PM
laochra=warriors/heroes

Shae_B2D
01/04/2005, 3:53 PM
Here ye are boys and Gals..This is the bit we have to know (very little ) so the more people that read this the more people we will have blasting it out at Landsdowne in June. For God sake, never be ashamed to sing something that enhances one's Irishness something we all should be proud of.

d'Amhrán na bhFiann

Sinne laochra Fáil,
Atá faoi gheall ag Éireann,
Buíon dár slua,
Thar thoinn do ráinig chugainn
Faoi mhóid bheith saor,
Seantír ár sinsear feasta
Ní fhágfar faoin tíorán ná faoi tráill;
Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil chun báis nó saoil,
Le gunna-scréach faoi lamhach na bpiléar
Seo libh canaig' Amhrán na bhFiann.

Any chance of a word by word translation for it? so we foreigners can study a few new words?