PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup game against Cork City FC

Fair_play_boy
30/03/2005, 10:46 PM
A good few comments were posted in the CCFC forum about Shels hoofing a lot of ball up the middle. It did not seem that way to me, in that the majority of those long balls were controlled and won by the Shels midfield or forward line. It wasn't pretty, but effective nonetheless. And I thought ye varied it enough too, putting Dan Murray under a lot of pressure as it capitalised on his occasional indecision. He is a good header of the ball, but lets himself down once too often over the 90 minutes, IMO.
I think generally that Shels players use of the header has developed a lot over the last 12 months, and suggests that work has been done with the team on this part of their play. A lot of balls were headed cleverly into space, or simply nudged on to a player in space.
One thing about Shels performance looked dodgy, and that is Glen Crowe. I expected him to cause us all sorts of problems, but for most of the time he was on, it appeared he was jogging around aimlessly. And he looks like he put on a couple of pounds too.
The incident with Georgie was not his finest hour. A lot of CCFC supporters are disgusted.
The return leg at Tolka is set up for a cracker. Can't wait for it.

Slash/ED
31/03/2005, 1:42 AM
You're being too generous, we hoofed the thing all night long and that's why Crowe was so ineffective. I've watched it again today, Crawley is absolutley shocking for it. On more than one occasion, in fact it'd be in double digits, not only was Crawley in space but he also had options in the mid field in space and calling for the ball. Rather than give it to them, he opts to punt the thing and basically hand the ball to Devine and Cork City. City then roll it out to their defence who link up with the mid field and an attack is on. It's absolutley useless, and we only created one single chance the entire night because of that which Alan Moore fluffed. When we did get competent defenders on the ball, such as Hawkins and Heary, they played the ball through the mid field and that was the only time we looked dangerous. We wont achieve anything by constantly handing possession back to the opposition when we've time on the ball and in Europe espically we'll be crucified for it.

Cork seem to know that, and we're the better team and by some distance because of that. If shels don't improve, Cork will win the league, simple as that. I fully expect Shels to improve alot though, we've far too much quality not too, but it wont happen if we keep playing the way we do. Weak links like Crawley need to be shipped out and under performing players in mid field like Ollie and Moore need to be benched.

tiktok
31/03/2005, 10:20 AM
Crawley is absolutley shocking for it.

Can't be a surprise at this stage Slash/Ed. I was at the UCD game and watched your game against Portadown on the telly, and he was exactly the same. I think his enforced absence because of Geirgie's antics could be a blessing in disguise for you.

pete
31/03/2005, 11:38 AM
Feck all cover for Crawley too in shels squad. If fact no real strong backup fullbacks in the sqaud at all besides moving players from other areas?

Shel$ always score a lot of goals from crosses. Heary is a good crosser of the ball when gets forward.

I think problem with shel$ is that virtually whole season is dependent on matching last years CL run. Going to be a lot of pressure on at those games especially the 2nd if they make it there.

Rico clearly had city fired up to put down marker for rest of the season whereas going to be hard to get shel$ squad fired up for non european games.

Crowe looks as bad as last season. Not going to say he wouldn't come good but really doesn't look like could be bothered. Dalymount versus Bohs should be interesting.

Slash/ED
31/03/2005, 2:24 PM
Can't be a surprise at this stage Slash/Ed. I was at the UCD game and watched your game against Portadown on the telly, and he was exactly the same. I think his enforced absence because of Geirgie's antics could be a blessing in disguise for you.

It's no suprise at all I'm afraid, he's been like it for his entire Shels career. I agree with you about his enforced abscence, Rogers was excellent when played left back not long ago, move him back to left back and put Harris at centre half. It's just a much better back four and we'll see a vast improvement in Shels play.

I don't think it's a problem of the players not been 'up' for the league games Pete, I mean just look at Fenlons reaction to Crawleys sending off! Okay he isn't a player but he was definitely up for it, I just think we're playing poor at the moment.