30/03/2005, 11:00 AM
just after being put on our official website now:

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/

Galway United take on Sligo Rovers @7.45pm on Tuesday 5th April::
Adults €10
Students €6 (with valid id)
U16 €3
Senior Citizens €3
Tickets can be bought at the gate for each home match. All season ticket holders can use their coupon on their season ticket voucher to bring a friend for free to one home game. Match programme costs €2.

Eire06
30/03/2005, 12:59 PM
What do you think the result will be?

I'd say it'll be close 1-0 or 2-1 to us of course :D
Lookin forward to it now.. Have the evening booked off work specially :D

Hopefully it'll shut up the Rovers fans who keep posting crap and stirring it in this Forum... :D

Terry
01/04/2005, 8:46 AM
I predict a 2-1 win or 1-1. Either way it should be a close match. Hope the crowds will turn up as kick off is the same time as the champions league quarter finals !!!!

Eire06
01/04/2005, 9:06 AM
I predict a 2-1 win or 1-1. Either way it should be a close match. Hope the crowds will turn up as kick off is the same time as the champions league quarter finals !!!!

OH i'd say there'll be a big crowd there.. heard a load of Sligo support coming :D

Terry
01/04/2005, 9:38 AM
OH i'd say there'll be a big crowd there.. heard a load of Sligo support coming :D

I remember on there old forum they stated they had a great travelling support down for a match one evening and I had counted maybe 25-30 of them !! :rolleyes:

Da Real Rover
01/04/2005, 9:47 AM
Theres a bus going, so there could be a fair bit of us on Tuesday!!!

Terry
01/04/2005, 9:57 AM
Thats good, top of the table clash hopefully!!

Da Real Rover
01/04/2005, 10:04 AM
By the looks of it we'll be the 2 teams battling out at the top of the table for the season, cause the 2 favs(Dublin and Kildare) were very poor and completely over-rated. You could also throw Dundalk and maybe Athlone into the mix!!!

Terry
01/04/2005, 10:13 AM
We found Athlone very hard to break down last week, but they are nothing special going forward. Dundalk are the only team that haven't let in a goal this season so could be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Galwayexile
01/04/2005, 10:20 AM
hopefully thats true as would be nice to see galway back in the premier again. Hopefully we will win against kilkenny at the weekend.

Terry
01/04/2005, 10:36 AM
I will be tough, I would be happy with a scrappy 1-0 victory. Pat Scully has put together a bran new team, and started pretty well with a 2-2 draw against dublin city, where they were leading 2-0 at one stage!

Da Real Rover
01/04/2005, 11:18 AM
I will be tough, I would be happy with a scrappy 1-0 victory. Pat Scully has put together a bran new team, and started pretty well with a 2-2 draw against dublin city, where they were leading 2-0 at one stage!
But i think there was something like 6 dublin players out for that match and its not like dublin are on fire. But any team organised by pat scully won't be a walkover.

Conor H
01/04/2005, 12:12 PM
I think it ill be a very close game but i reckon weel shade it 1-0

Terry
04/04/2005, 8:29 AM
I remember on there old forum they stated they had a great travelling support down for a match one evening and I had counted maybe 25-30 of them !! :rolleyes:

I mightn't be far off with this post above! I see the sligo rovers supporters bus has been cancelled due to lack of interest!! I have a bad feeling about what kind of crowd will show up for this match tomorrow :(

come on united!!
5-0

Eire06
04/04/2005, 11:33 AM
See the Sligo bus is cancelled..

Going to be a poor turnout from them anyway

Patrick Dunne
04/04/2005, 12:56 PM
... for all the guff on their forum, we all know that they are a bunch of blowbags. They allegedly brought 200 to Tolka Park on a Thursday night, a round trip of 250 miles approx. Right.

Bizarrely, they can't get 20 to make a 150 mile round trip !

If there was a league table among Irish clubs for gross over-exaggeration of support, Sligo Rovers would be way out in front. At this stage they are so funny that they are a parody of themselves. The Manchester City of Ireland.
Massive.

Eire06
04/04/2005, 2:16 PM
... for all the guff on their forum, we all know that they are a bunch of blowbags. They allegedly brought 200 to Tolka Park on a Thursday night, a round trip of 250 miles approx. Right.

If there was a league table among Irish clubs for gross over-exaggeration of support, Sligo Rovers would be way out in front. At this stage they are so funny that they are a parody of themselves. The Manchester City of Ireland.
Massive.

he he :D
How true :D

Conor H
04/04/2005, 7:07 PM
:D :D :D Again well said !!!

Terry
05/04/2005, 7:47 AM
Galway United vs Sligo Rovers
(Terryland Park - 7:45 pm - Division 1)
Referee : Alan Kelly

Sligo Rovers and Galway United, local rivals on the West coast look set to be battling for the season and Tuesday could be a good yard-stick.
Galway United were held to a 0-0 draw by Kilkenny on Saturday.
Ryan Casey didn't feature in that game but could at Terryland. David O'Dowd should be back from suspension but Derek O'Brien is an injury concern.
League form for Galway United : DDW
League form for Sligo Rovers : WDW
Previous meeting(s) : Sligo Rovers 3-1 Galway United (18/09/2004)
Galway United 3-1 Sligo Rovers (11/06/2004)
Galway United 0-0 Sligo Rovers (03/05/2004)
Sligo Rovers 3-1 Galway United (27/03/2004)
Galway United 2-1 Sligo Rovers (22/11/2003)
IrishFootballOnline.com Prediction: Home win.

galwaygirl
05/04/2005, 11:45 AM
it'll definitely be a close match alrite but i'll go for a win for us, say 2-1 :D

Eire06
05/04/2005, 11:54 AM
hope it bloddy stops raining :(

galwaygirl
05/04/2005, 11:59 AM
hope it bloddy stops raining :(

Somebody up above must have heard you Eire06, it's finally stopped raining in Galway City anyway :D :D

Eire06
05/04/2005, 12:27 PM
Somebody up above must have heard you Eire06, it's finally stopped raining in Galway City anyway :D :D
Ya I just noticed :D
I'm bringing a few kids tonight trying to show them theres more to soccer that watching Rooney on the telly.. And didn't want to bring them if it is pi$$in.. all we need is a bit of sun now to warm the place up Oh and a good few balls in Sligos net.. :D

Terry
05/04/2005, 12:41 PM
2-1 :D

5-0 :D

Terry
05/04/2005, 12:53 PM
Team news:
David O’Dowd back after suspension, but Colin Fortune and Mixie Harty are doubtful and Derek O’Brien is sidelined with the ’flu.

Sean Flannery is available after illness for the table-toppers, but midfielders Faz Kuduzovic (dead leg) and Conor O’Grady (calf) and striker Carlos Alvarez (knee) are all doubtful.

galwaygirl
05/04/2005, 1:03 PM
Derek O’Brien is sidelined with the ’flu.
It's actually his hamstring again, it was coming on well but i think he damaged it again in the few mins he played in Kilkenny.

Sean Flannery is available after illness for the table-toppers
We might finally get to seem him playing so :D :D

galwaygirl
05/04/2005, 1:07 PM
5-0 :D

One of my most memorable games in Terryland :D :D
A lot of the crowd i was with at that game ended up leavin at half time when it was 0-0 to go to The River Inn.
they seriously thought i was pullin the p1ss, when i started textin them about the goals :eek:

i suppose it's wishful thinking that the same thing could happen tonite :rolleyes:

sligoman
05/04/2005, 2:02 PM
See the Sligo bus is cancelled..

Going to be a poor turnout from them anyway

Rovers fans are still going, they're just not taking the bus. See ya there!

sligoman
05/04/2005, 2:03 PM
We might finally get to seem him playing so :D :D

Eh, no ye wont, cos he's ****e.Trust me, he has'nt improved at all :D

Eire06
05/04/2005, 2:04 PM
Rovers fans are still going, they're just not taking the bus.
Thats great hopefully there will be a good crowd there then and we can Get a bit of craic goin..
Weather cleared up here hopefully it'll stay.. :D

Wouldn't want you poor angels going home wet loosers ;)

Terry
05/04/2005, 2:55 PM
what's ur problem. every chance u get ur knocking us without reference to actual football itself. sligo rovers supporters arent a bunch of blowbags as you put it and there was over 250 sligo rovers supporters in tolka so dont try scoring points off facts.

He is saying this because even though you still insist that there was 250 of ye there, some viking supporters on the attendance forum say there was between 150-200 in total at the match??? :rolleyes:

Rovers fans are still going, they're just not taking the bus. See ya there!

good to hear, looking forward to the match. see ye then

Terry
05/04/2005, 3:24 PM
Thats great hopefully there will be a good crowd there then and we can Get a bit of craic goin..
Weather cleared up here hopefully it'll stay.. :D

Wouldn't want you poor angels going home wet loosers ;)

let it pour out of the heavens. Remember when we played bohs in the friendly? the weather was awful, yet it was our best performance this season!!

sligoman
05/04/2005, 3:28 PM
let it pour out of the heavens. Remember when we played bohs in the friendly? the weather was awful, yet it was our best performance this season!!

Ah well, we are used to the rain aswell so good luck. I'm off now-Destination Terryland Park ;) S.R.F.C., Sligo Rovers. Come on the Bit O' Red!

shedhead
05/04/2005, 3:37 PM
ya see ye there

Conor H
05/04/2005, 3:47 PM
Come on utd!!!

sligoman
06/04/2005, 12:05 AM
Oh and a good few balls in Sligos net.. :D

Shame it didn't happen :D

sligoman
06/04/2005, 12:10 AM

Somehow Patrick I'd say there was slightly more than 20 wouldn't you? I could safely say we nearly matched the amount of Galway fans there. Ye mock us for the amount of fans we bring to away matches when ye cant even bring much to HOME matches :rolleyes: .

Patrick Dunne
06/04/2005, 12:42 AM
about me is that I always tell the truth, as I see it, whether it reflects well or otherwise on the team I support and love. And tonight was a very poor showing from GUFC.

Large Sligo support in Terryland tonight, I would estimate 200, perhaps
1/3 of the attendance. Appalling weather and L'pool on the box took its toll on our attendance. Fair play to those who travelled, best numerical away support in the T'bowl for a quite a while. Maybe someone from Sligo could comment on these estimates, but please no "I thought there were 2,000 of us". I take back my earlier comments about your poor away support.

On the pitch Sligo look a physically strong, committed, well organised, counterattacking side. Deserved victory.

United were poor. Dodgy defence to start, but seemed to tighten up throughout the game, Sligo's first goal was well taken. Midfield and up front lost the physical battle against a more committed Sligo outfit. John Russell has still, Monaghan excepted, to recapture the excellent form he is capable of. I have great respect for Lal, a United legend, but he is only belting nails in his own coffin by bringing on Derek Lally. Not good enough at all, never was ten years ago when he joined us first. We need an experienced finisher as well, of course.There are thirty two games to go. Radical changes on the field are neccesary, but it appears as if most of our pre-season signings are substandard, even worse than last years bunch.

Sligo Rovers supporters, well done on your deserved win tonight. Well done on bringing a large crowd to the game. But remember that you arrived home safely. There wasn't a mob outside Terryland throwing stones at your cars just because we lost.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Terry
06/04/2005, 7:23 AM
I second everything Paddy said there. Sligo definitely deserved the win. In fact, I would say they were unlucky! they should have won the game by a much larger margin.

here is my ratings of the GUFC players.

Alan Gough (7) Only for some excellent saves we could of been hammered.

Frawley (5) because Im feeling generous. most of sligos attacking play came down the opposite wing.

Keady (5) for effort

Clery (6) for effort and gets an extra point for being a friend !!

Syzmanski (4) was walked passed all night and only made 1 attacking move all night, just before we went down 2-0.

Cooke (6) has potential this young kid (17 or 18 I think) and did his best.

Herrick (1) totally useless has been !! running into his own players, didnt make 1 forward pass, Cheerio you got to go.

Russell (6) Very poor effort from John, nothing to what he is capable of, but its only early and Im delighted to see him starting in midfield where he belongs.

Goldbey (3) nearly as bad as herrick, a player who cant cut it at this level. Cheerio you got to go.

O'Dowd (6) was running down cul de sacs all night, virtually playing on his own.

moran (6) never looks up! Im sick of saying this. the coaching staff have to put a brace around this lads neck, serious lack of vision.

subs

lally (0) only there because of his uncle! useless at this level, we would have been better off bringing on a sligo player instead of him. Cheerio you got to go.

Williamson (6) made an improvement when he came on and how goldbey started infront of him I'll never know?

If anyone came on after that I dont know as I went to the pub after sligos second!!!

Stephen Lally watch your back son, the crowd are about to turn on you if you dont wake up :mad:

Eire06
06/04/2005, 8:19 AM
We were pityful last night..
Disgusted.. Played the worst I've seen us in a long while..

Can someone tell me where the hell is the midfield?? Cause It looked like we had none last night.. Ball control was terrible passing and tackling were just as bad.. :(
All round poor performance.. Well done Sligo they deserved it

galwaygirl
06/04/2005, 8:31 AM
Well deserved win by Sligo last nite, how they didnt beat us by more, i dont know. :o

I'm still gutted. :(

Eire06
06/04/2005, 8:37 AM
Well deserved win by Sligo last nite, how they didnt beat us by more, i dont know. :o

I'm still gutted. :(

I'm so pi$$ed off too...
Sat in the freezing cold and got soaked watchin them play like that... :mad:
Has put me in foul humor for the day :mad:
We were very lucky that they didn't beet us by much more, but yet again if they were any better of a team they would have..

sligoman
06/04/2005, 2:21 PM
how they didnt beat us by more, i dont know.

Cos our strikers are very poor and slow that's why, but hopefully Alvarez's first goals last night will boost his confidence and help him improve.

SligoRoversfan
06/04/2005, 6:12 PM
2-0,great result,we were much better than ye's,and 2 from Carlos,possibly the slowest striker in the league!!

tis only early,i expect Galway to be near the top come last few games

2-0, to the bit o red!!!!!!!!!! :D