PDA

View Full Version : Why are out supporters so Subdued at Landsdowne

FarBeag
30/03/2005, 12:44 AM
Our supporters at Landsdowne were so quite this evening that you could hear many of the players on the field communicating with eachother.How can you call Lansdowne our home fixture unless the away team feel a little intimidated.Jesus a baby could sleep through that.We all are very quick to blame the players and manager but the crowd are there to cheer them on and with an atmosphere like the one that is created at landsdowne for most matches in the last few years(apart from the Holland one) you might as well have 10 people there, they would make more noise.Look at the way the other nations get behind their team,friendly or otherwise. We have to get this right for the upcoming home games or we wont have that third man who is so vitally important to us at home.Our away supporters form has been superb though.
BTW..Do we have any more songs besides...'Common ye boys in Green','the fields' or that really pathetic one "ye will never beat the Irish'.For a nation of talented singers we dont have a lot of albums.

McGeady10
30/03/2005, 8:23 AM
Time to dust off the rebels.

Nothing like Boys of the Old Brigade or Sean South to get the growd going!

OwlsFan
30/03/2005, 8:40 AM
Get a grip. The atmosphere will be great for the competitive games against France, Switzerland and Israel. For the matches which count, the crowd responds. No one is going to get worked up at a meaningless friendly. I would have thought that this was self evident but obviously not.

elroy
30/03/2005, 8:47 AM
It was a bit hard to get worked up last night in fairness although credit too the chinese they did create a bit of atmosphere. But neither the players or supporters were too bothered last night and it showed.

im all for bigger qualifying groups, more competitive games and say the top 2 (3rd go into a playoff) go through. Would leave about 2 friendlies a year which would be enough to bring in younger players.

Reality Bites
30/03/2005, 8:59 AM
it was a ****e meaningless game, crap tactics again, and what Mr conservative could have done was bring a bit of spark flair and invention something new, MCGEADY but that would have been a risk going forward in the last third of the pitch is lunacy afterall, jaysus he is cautious!!!!

Eire06
30/03/2005, 9:10 AM
I have no voice today from shouting\singing last night :D but as far as I could see I was the only one bar the 2 7 year olds who'd join in with me every so often..
Was up in the north stand for the first time ( Usually in the east stand or terrace..
Atmosphere was a disgrace much like the match.. Fair play to the China support they were really good singing all through the match full of colour and life.. And don't even get me started on the national anthem.. I sang it as loud as I could was the only one around me singing it and at the end a Dublin Scumbag turned around to me and said do you actually know all the words to that song looking shocked :confused:
Nearly swung for him...
I know it was only a friendly but I drive for 8 hours to get to every home match I expect a bit of craic and atmosphere :mad:

Aldini98
30/03/2005, 9:13 AM
Everyones quiet because they don't want to be "out"ed.

LEARN TO F-ING TYPE !!!!

elroy
30/03/2005, 10:54 AM
I have no voice today from shouting\singing last night :D but as far as I could see I was the only one bar the 2 7 year olds who'd join in with me every so often..
Was up in the north stand for the first time ( Usually in the east stand or terrace..
Atmosphere was a disgrace much like the match.. Fair play to the China support they were really good singing all through the match full of colour and life.. And don't even get me started on the national anthem.. I sang it as loud as I could was the only one around me singing it and at the end a Dublin Scumbag turned around to me and said do you actually know all the words to that song looking shocked :confused:
Nearly swung for him...
I know it was only a friendly but I drive for 8 hours to get to every home match I expect a bit of craic and atmosphere :mad:

was in the south for the first half, no bit of atmosphere at all, went to the east stand for the second half, few free seats so we said we'd chance our arm (was never in the east stand before just the west) view is class there. once again no atmosphere though bar the few chinese near us

FarBeag
30/03/2005, 11:38 AM
Well.Thats a typical response.Totally negative apart from a few.What the fcuk do you go to a match friendly or not just to sit and watch,you may as well be at home watching tele.Its a total selfish response wanting your team to play well and just sit there watching team without saying a word and then giving out because they did not live up to your expectations.I have never saw suporters from any other country just sitting talikng about how the weather will live up so as we can get the hay done or the spuds put in the ground.Pure fcuking rubbish. Common use those voices that are used night in night out after a few jars and get behind the team.

ger121
30/03/2005, 11:54 AM
As has been said before numerous times on this MB the majority of fans who go to Ireland games do not attend live matches on a regular basis and therefore do not know how to react when they finally do attend one once or twice a year. There is also very little coordination before a match like we would sometimes do with our own clubs. The FAI have to relaose that they need 2-3000 hardcore singing support in the one area. Now I know they've tried to get this going in the terrace/bucket seats with the el fans but I still think we do not get enough tickets(that's another story) but until the day arrives when at least decent minority going to Ireland games are people who like to sing and chant then I can see it continuing to be a hit and miss at Lansdowne. Lansdowne Roar, more like snore :(

FarBeag
30/03/2005, 1:42 PM
How reassuring. Will have to put up with it then I guess what a shame.

Slash/ED
30/03/2005, 4:38 PM
Nearly swung for him...

Fair play to you anyway for not letting the others get to you and to keep on singing anyway, not many could do that.

Orchard Celt
30/03/2005, 4:41 PM
Get a grip. The atmosphere will be great for the competitive games against France, Switzerland and Israel. For the matches which count, the crowd responds. No one is going to get worked up at a meaningless friendly. I would have thought that this was self evident but obviously not.

Load of crap, I don't go too see the likes of France, China, Brazil or Russia. We are there supporting Ireland and if fans can't raise the roof then there in the wrong sport IMO.

Eire06
30/03/2005, 4:48 PM
Fair play to you anyway for not letting the others get to you and to keep on singing anyway, not many could do that.

Oh I've a great voice and like to use it regulary.. :D
I'm always complaining about the atmosphere in there so my friend basically told be to shut up or do something about it.. I do my bit even if I am making a show of myself :D

OwlsFan
30/03/2005, 5:03 PM
Load of crap, I don't go too see the likes of France, China, Brazil or Russia. We are there supporting Ireland and if fans can't raise the roof then there in the wrong sport IMO.

It's a fact of life. When nothing is at stake, the adrenilin doesn't pump and you're not going to go balistic. Your presence alone at a friendly is support both for the players and putting money into the game. Someone said only the kids were chanting - that says it all.

The fact is that for competitive games, when it matters, the support will be there vocally. I come home with no voice and am hoarse for days after a competitive game. For a friendly game, I'm not all fired up and neither are 95% of the rest of the fans for the self-evident reason: THERE ARE NO POINTS AT STAKE.

And whoever said we should take a leaf out of other countries books - I've been to many away matches and the vocal home support in some of those countries even in competitive games is pathetic (Belgium being one that stands out in particular).

As I said at the beginning: get a grip.

FarBeag
30/03/2005, 5:55 PM
OwlsFan.. I have to Disagree with you on this one.Granted the adrenilin will be pumping more when we have a competitive game,but this does not excuse the fact that our supporters should just sit there for 90 minutes and discuss the days events,they may as well be at home.We should show more passion, cheer to our hearts content and be proud of our team,therefore it may rub off on them.What the fcuk is wrong with shouting and chanting for the team of our country regardless of the match been a friendly or not. I am sure that a large % of the so called supporters at the match yesterday evening spent the rest of the night singing in their local pub after a few pints.If you are happy with a small manority of the crowd singing 5%,why dont we just let them in, get 30,000 manikins from the front of the shop windows,put an irish shirt on them and a flag in their plastic hand d and let them get on with it.Same effect yes.
I can also tell you that i have been to many an away game and the atmosphere is amasing some times bordering hostility and the players love it,so there so need to have 30,000 mutes at a match.

Éanna
30/03/2005, 6:04 PM
the reason there's no atmosphere at landsdowne is its full of barstoolers, simple as that

FarBeag
30/03/2005, 9:16 PM
Exactly Eanna...But will we ever change that or should we just accept it???

Junior
31/03/2005, 8:10 AM
The FAI have to realise that they need 2-3000 hardcore singing support in the one area. Now I know they've tried to get this going in the terrace/bucket seats with the el fans but I still think we do not get enough tickets(that's another story) but until the day arrives when at least decent minority going to Ireland games are people who like to sing and chant then I can see it continuing to be a hit and miss at Lansdowne. Lansdowne Roar, more like snore :(

When people come on here looking for tickets for Ireland games, quite often the resposne/advice is to go down to the local EL club and start supporting them/make themselves known as there are generally tickets for Ireland matches about. How does this equate to not receiving enough? I think its a good idea by the way (to issue EL clubs tickets in the one section), Im just puzzled why there seems to be spares 'knocking' around at EL clubs but you are suggesting not enough are given to them?

Dotsy
31/03/2005, 8:40 AM
To be fair it may be true that a significant amount of people at the match are not regular supporters at live soccer matches but anyone who bothered to turn up on a Tuesday night for a friendly match against China doesn't deserve to be slated. A crowd of 35,000 is pretty good for that match. The majority of people around us in the East Upper Wing might not have been singing for the whole match but listening to their comments they knew their stuff and were there to watch the game not just to have a chat with their mates. I'd guess that the crowd at competetive matches contains more so called barstoolers but the atmosphere is invariably much better than at friendlies.

Orchard Celt
31/03/2005, 10:40 AM
When people come on here looking for tickets for Ireland games, quite often the resposne/advice is to go down to the local EL club and start supporting them/make themselves known as there are generally tickets for Ireland matches about. How does this equate to not receiving enough? I think its a good idea by the way (to issue EL clubs tickets in the one section), Im just puzzled why there seems to be spares 'knocking' around at EL clubs but you are suggesting not enough are given to them?

But why should supporting an EL club give you more right of getting an Ireland ticket than not supporting one? Living in Armagh its harder for me to support an EL club and Irish fans living in Wales, England and Scotland should have just as much right to at least apply for tixs for international games. The EL yes is the grass roots of Irish soccer but whose the last EL player to be called up for international games? look at the Wales squad against Austria, they had a few boys in the squad that played in Wales.

Its the same problem I find too with the GAA, why do you have to support a club to get a tix for big games (A-I Final, National League Final etc..).

Everyone doesn't have the time for club football and because of that it should not damage your chances of internation tixs.

NeilMcD
31/03/2005, 10:51 AM
I think we are making a mountain out of mole here. It would be great if the ground was buzzing for friendly games. But talking to a few scottish lads they tell me that Hampden on Wednesday night for a friendly has a **** atmosphere. I would think that nearly every international team suffers from the same thing on friendly nights. The true test of our supporters will be the game againts Israel. That is the one we need to be up for. Its a saturday afternoon on the June bank holiday weekend. No excuse , get a few drinks into you, Learn the songs and sing your heart out. This game is going to be huge and we really need the support for this game.

Éanna
31/03/2005, 10:52 AM
Im just puzzled why there seems to be spares 'knocking' around at EL clubs but you are suggesting not enough are given to them?
speaking for myself anyway, I could have been in the position to get tickets if I wanted them previously. I went to a couple of the matches in the last qualifiers, but I just had no interest or enthusiasm for it, so I stopped going. There could well be others who feel the same

monutdfc
31/03/2005, 10:52 AM
Orchard Celt, join the Armagh branch of the Monaghan United supporters club :) :- we already have Armagh City supporter who comes to a lot of our home games (although Sunday doesn't suit him so I doubt if we'll see him as much this season). Armagh is only 40 minutes away. :)

Junior
31/03/2005, 11:27 AM
But why should supporting an EL club give you more right of getting an Ireland ticket than not supporting one? Living in Armagh its harder for me to support an EL club and Irish fans living in Wales, England and Scotland should have just as much right to at least apply for tixs for international games. The EL yes is the grass roots of Irish soccer but whose the last EL player to be called up for international games? look at the Wales squad against Austria, they had a few boys in the squad that played in Wales.

Its the same problem I find too with the GAA, why do you have to support a club to get a tix for big games (A-I Final, National League Final etc..).

Everyone doesn't have the time for club football and because of that it should not damage your chances of internation tixs.

I orginally had a similar outlook to yourself. I am based in the UK, I support Celtic (a 6-7hr round trip by the way) but I have followed Ireland home and away for many years. I felt it would be unfair if a guy could just turn up at Galway Utd on the first day of the season and then have as much chance of a ticket to Irelands next international game as myself.

However, as you say, the EL is the grass roots and the fans that turn out week in week out should receive an allocation of sorts, though this should be controlled so that not any old passer by can utilise these tickets. Afterall if the EL doesn't continue to grow we are not likely to see any players representing the country are we?

I do agree though that many people do not support a club whether EL,SPL or EPL and these people are no less worthy of a ticket. Its a very emotive issue and one that is not easily solved.

Junior
31/03/2005, 12:09 PM
If we'd a massive big stadium it'd be easily solved. Then you'd have people on here complaining about the 'type' of fans . . .

Have you not read the numerous posts complaining about the 'type' of fans as it is?

Beavis
31/03/2005, 12:34 PM
I think we are making a mountain out of mole here. It would be great if the ground was buzzing for friendly games. But talking to a few scottish lads they tell me that Hampden on Wednesday night for a friendly has a **** atmosphere. I would think that nearly every international team suffers from the same thing on friendly nights. The true test of our supporters will be the game againts Israel. That is the one we need to be up for. Its a saturday afternoon on the June bank holiday weekend. No excuse , get a few drinks into you, Learn the songs and sing your heart out. This game is going to be huge and we really need the support for this game.

Agreed. Hopefully we can give good support for the Israel game.

Slash/ED
31/03/2005, 2:43 PM
To be fair it may be true that a significant amount of people at the match are not regular supporters at live soccer matches but anyone who bothered to turn up on a Tuesday night for a friendly match against China doesn't deserve to be slated. A crowd of 35,000 is pretty good for that match. The majority of people around us in the East Upper Wing might not have been singing for the whole match but listening to their comments they knew their stuff and were there to watch the game not just to have a chat with their mates. I'd guess that the crowd at competetive matches contains more so called barstoolers but the atmosphere is invariably much better than at friendlies.

The reason the crowd was so big is because the FAI forced people who wanted to goto the glamour friendly of Italy to buy tickets for this one too. And still around 10,000 or so didn't even bother showing up, assumeing the Italy match is a sell out.

NeilMcD
31/03/2005, 2:47 PM
I agree with their system. If you want to get tickets for the big games you have to go to the small ones. Seems fair to me. If you are living far away from Dublin, well as someone said earlier its worth spending the 20 euro on the ticket and not going and making sure you have tickets for the games you can make it to.

Schumi
31/03/2005, 2:47 PM
around 10,000 or so didn't even bother showing up, assumeing the Italy match is a sell out.
It's not sold out. There were tickets on sale on Tuesday from one of those caravan yokes just off Shelbourne Road.

Slash/ED
31/03/2005, 2:52 PM
It's not sold out. There were tickets on sale on Tuesday from one of those caravan yokes just off Shelbourne Road.

I'm suprised at that, didn't they say originally that the stand tickets were all sold out to begin with and only terrace tickets would become available, I'm amazed they couldn't shift all of them

OneRedArmy
31/03/2005, 2:59 PM
But why should supporting an EL club give you more right of getting an Ireland ticket than not supporting one?

By comparison rugby tickets are distributed only through the clubs and to 5 year ticket holders, which WAS a great way of distributing tickets to those who derserved them (people who basically support the grassroots of local sport). Unfortunately thats been spolit by club selling their allocations to corporates taking the tickets out of genuine fans hands.

Orchard Celt I accept your point because you have every right to support the Republic, unfortunately being from the North your local clubs probably have access only to Norn Ireland tickets. Those who live in the Republic however can't really complain about the ticket distribution through clubs if they choose not to support local EL or junior soccer.

eirebhoy
31/03/2005, 3:00 PM
They don't sell tickets afaik. They're there for people to collect tickets which they've booked. It would have been on the FAI website that there was a "limited amount of tickets for sale at our offices in Merrion Square".

Lads, its a bit late to complain about getting tickets. There's only 3 matches left and we can all get tickets after that. Get on the waiting list!

Schumi
31/03/2005, 3:06 PM
They don't sell tickets afaik. They're there for people to collect tickets which they've booked. It would have been on the FAI website that there was a "limited amount of tickets for sale at our offices in Merrion Square".
I don't think so. There was a separate Ticketmaster caravan for people who had paid by credit card with a sign saying something like "ticket sales <--" pointing towards the other one.

Dotsy
31/03/2005, 3:11 PM
I'm suprised at that, didn't they say originally that the stand tickets were all sold out to begin with and only terrace tickets would become available, I'm amazed they couldn't shift all of them

They were announcing over the PA when I was queing up at the turnstiles that tickets were available from the caravan. I'll bet there were quite a few people who bought the two lots of tickets who didn't bother going to the China game. I still think it was a good turnout for a friendly against the likes of CHina.

tetsujin1979
31/03/2005, 3:45 PM
They were announcing over the PA when I was queing up at the turnstiles that tickets were available from the caravan. I'll bet there were quite a few people who bought the two lots of tickets who didn't bother going to the China game. I still think it was a good turnout for a friendly against the likes of CHina.

35,000 apparently. Considering it was about 15-20,000 in the Canada game (including me on the halfway line!!) that's a big turnaround in interest in Ireland friendlies.

FarBeag
31/03/2005, 4:02 PM
Who care's about how many people are at the match? It all about the amount of noise they make.

FarBeag
31/03/2005, 4:09 PM
Fair play to you.Bring your ear muffs because the noise will be unreal :rolleyes:

OwlsFan
01/04/2005, 2:55 PM
Who care's about how many people are at the match? It all about the amount of noise they make.

If you want the best for the team in terms of preparation and facilities and money to spend at junior level, you require bums on seats to pay for these things so the size of the crowd is very important.

FarBeag
01/04/2005, 6:39 PM
Fine i agree but that's not my point.I just wish they opened their mouth and cheered on their team,i think we have exausted this subject.