PDA

View Full Version : Colin Healy

mouldymurphy
18/02/2002, 3:44 PM
good news for colin:fron www.soccercentral.ie :
Martin O'Neill has handed Colin Healy a passport to the World Cup finals by allowing him to stay at Highfield Road for the remainder of the season.

Healy will only be recalled if O'Neill suffers a major injury crisis between now and the end of the season.

"I spoke to him and thought it would be a good opportunity to go out on loan which would be a big benefit to him," claimed Martin O'Neill.

"I'm also hoping it will be a big benefit to Celtic in the long term. I am really pleased for him and he needed to play a few matches in quick succession to get match fitness."

"He's played a few games for Coventry now and has played pretty well and it's also a massive bonus for him to get into the Republic of Ireland squad."

pete
18/02/2002, 4:05 PM
Apparently hes only played 2 or 3 games for Coventry so maybe a bit premature touting him for the WC squad?

However there aren't huge options in the middle of the pitch & no one could be worse than carsley :rolleye:

ccfcman
19/02/2002, 10:51 AM
wrong there now lad hes started 12 and come on as a sub 4 times

Seanie
19/02/2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by pete

However there aren't huge options in the middle of the pitch & no one could be worse than carsley :rolleye:
On the Contrary! Apart from goalkeepers, Central Midfield is easily our strongest position: KEANO, Holland, Kinsella with Reid, Healy and McPhail all emerging. And Carsley played quite well on his Everton debut against Arsenal, although I didn't entirely change my opinion of him.

pete
19/02/2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Seanie

On the Contrary! Apart from goalkeepers, Central Midfield is easily our strongest position: KEANO, Holland, Kinsella with Reid, Healy and McPhail all emerging. And Carsley played quite well on his Everton debut against Arsenal, although I didn't entirely change my opinion of him.

Reid not central midfielder.
McPhail has as much chance of getting tot he WC as I do as a player.

We have Roy Keane, Holland & Kinsella & no one else. I'll take your word that Carsley did well in the Premiership but he still is not an international quality player. Playing in a top division does not mean you international material automatically in the same way as scoring tons of goals at 1st division level (Connolly) does not make an international forward necessarily.

I don't understand how can include Healy as a great talent for midfield after 45 minutes.

Seanie
19/02/2002, 3:09 PM
Reid is equally at home right across the midfield

pete
19/02/2002, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by ccfcman
wrong there now lad hes started 12 and come on as a sub 4 times

They might be figures for his $eltic career as apparently he only joined Coventry on loan at the end of January.

pete
19/02/2002, 5:58 PM
Originally posted by scottyshedender
He has only played for Cellllllic twice this year, so its all Coventry!

So we looking at 5 or so first team appearances for the guy this season.

As i've said Carsley is useless & we do need an alternative. Healy looks good but we'd only be aping the english by declaring a player a world beater after one game :eek:

Snatch
27/02/2002, 8:10 PM
I'd agree that Carsley is far from top quality but Big Mick seems to be quite a fan of him and it's his decision afterall.

The Legend
28/02/2002, 7:52 AM
What's all the panic about, neither Healy or Carlsey will see a game at the world cup....