PDA

View Full Version : Games 31 August

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
31/08/2018, 8:18 PM
First Division title almost over now? Soft second yellow for Drogheda and a goal for us in the last five minutes of the first half. One point needed now if Harps hold on against Galway.

Be interesting to see how we do against Waterford - four points in the last six games - in the cup next week.

Cork handing the other title to Dundalk too; just gave up an equaliser at home to Sligo

marinobohs
31/08/2018, 8:23 PM
Bohs 2 -0 up in Derry. Maybe finally...........

Philosophizer
31/08/2018, 8:27 PM
Bohs 2 -0 up in Derry. Maybe finally...........
Dundalk and cork both drawing. And rovers look to have leapfrogged Waterford into 3rd.

White Horse
31/08/2018, 8:28 PM
Mickey Duffy!

micls
31/08/2018, 8:30 PM
That was a depressing 10 minutes.

White Horse
31/08/2018, 8:31 PM
Important to win as Cork as certs to beat Sligo.

White Horse
31/08/2018, 8:32 PM
Important to win as Cork as certs to beat Sligo.

Hang on, may have been too hasty.

micls
31/08/2018, 8:35 PM
Hang on, may have been too hasty.

.... We were already losing when you posted that

micls
31/08/2018, 8:43 PM
Congrats dundalk. Utterly frustrating to finish it that way. Even more depressingly makes our game vs Dundalk at the Cross a nothing game when it should have been a sell out game with a huge buzz around it. Depressing

Ezeikial
31/08/2018, 8:49 PM
Dundalk were lackluster in winning in Limerick. Surprise that Cork slipped up tonight.

Congrats are premature at this point, micls . The league title picture is not much different tonight, than how it appeared at the start of the week. Six points ahead but still to go to Turners Cross and RSC.

White Horse
31/08/2018, 8:50 PM
Dundalk were lackluster in winning in Limerick. Surprise that Cork slipped up tonight.

Congrats are premature at this point, micls . The league title picture is not much different tonight, than how it appeared at the start of the week. Six points ahead but still to go to Turners Cross and RSC.

Dundalk have some tough games ahead and should Cork pick up maximum points from their remaining games it will be difficult.

Far from over.

Ezeikial
31/08/2018, 8:56 PM
Michael Duffy

Stats in the league this season:12 goals | 20 assists | 30 matches

Phenomenal record for a wide player

DFCForever
31/08/2018, 8:57 PM
Textbook smash and grab win from Dundalk in Limerick tonight, not that it matters though, it's all about results at this stage of the season. Still a lot of football to be played but I'll be shocked if we don't see out the title from here. Obviously Dundalk have some tough fixtures left as has been mentioned but Cork have as well and need to win all of their remaining games to have a chance imo, which is hard to imagine with the way they're playing. That being said, stranger things have happened. We all know that nothing's won yet.

DFCForever
31/08/2018, 9:00 PM
Michael Duffy

Stats in the league this season:12 goals | 20 assists | 30 matches

Phenomenal record for a wide player
If we manage to keep him it'll be one of the best pieces of business in the club's history.

White Horse
31/08/2018, 9:03 PM
McEleney coming off the bench made the difference. It was a tight game with Limerick defending very well. It takes a player with a special talent to find space and create an opening.

Thankfully, we have that player.

Kingswood Rover
31/08/2018, 9:11 PM
6 point swing on Swindon on Suir, the bradrser abides.

sbgawa
31/08/2018, 9:15 PM
Routine win could have been 5 or 6.
Bray keeper played well. 7 wins in 9.
Finn was excellent, watts too. Brandan kavanagh nice little cameo

Kingswood Rover
31/08/2018, 9:21 PM
Bradser is safe i reckon after this week. i have said that he should go in all likelihood thats not going to happen so please please please Mr B reflect, learn, say nothing and attack every team you play we are Rovers.

mcgonigle
31/08/2018, 9:24 PM
6 point swing on Swindon on Suir, the bradrser abides.

New deal surely? #4moreyears

Ezeikial
31/08/2018, 9:25 PM
Bradser is safe i reckon after this week. i have said that he should go in all likelihood thats not going to happen so please please please Mr B reflect, learn, say nothing and attack every team you play we are Rovers.

First part is really brilliant news if true - better again if the Rovers board gave him a contract extension/ #4moreyears

The last part is pretty far fetched - he'll be back to talking about settling for draws, battering teams and cup finals shortly

White Horse
31/08/2018, 9:28 PM
Every time Rovers go through a bad patch, they follow it up with a couple of good results.

After a couple of good results, they go through a bad patch.

Rovers fans must be dizzy at this stage.

sbgawa
31/08/2018, 9:33 PM
Lol you boys need to find another obsession.
Your a lot more chirpy tonight then Tuesday.
Enjoy winning the league, u deserve it over the season

Asterix
31/08/2018, 9:39 PM
First part is really brilliant news if true - better again if the Rovers board gave him a contract extension/ #4moreyears

The last part is pretty far fetched - he'll be back to talking about settling for draws, battering teams and cup finals shortly

And Stephen Kenny will be talking about bringing the team home during a game and you'll be talking about Rovers of course.

Asterix
31/08/2018, 9:47 PM
Leagues over now anyway, the franchise have it won.

pineapple stu
31/08/2018, 9:48 PM
Ah here; we're hardly a franchise!

mcgonigle
31/08/2018, 10:11 PM
Leagues over now anyway, the franchise have it won.

Those lemons are bitter #4moreyears

holidaysong
31/08/2018, 10:12 PM
Ah here; we're hardly a franchise!

Dublin franchise of the NUI?

placid casual
31/08/2018, 10:14 PM
Thank god Dundalk gave Maguire to cork.
Good teams win titles, but only the best clubs win 4 in a row.

sbgawa
31/08/2018, 10:14 PM
Congratulations Stu back in the big league.
Two best teams over the season won both leagues.
Doesn't always happen

pineapple stu
31/08/2018, 10:17 PM
Let's see how next week against Harps goes in fairness!

mcgonigle
31/08/2018, 10:21 PM
Thank god Dundalk gave Maguire to cork.
Good teams win titles, but only the best clubs win 4 in a row.

These types of comments always age well....

White Horse
31/08/2018, 10:25 PM
I wonder what they are looking at? Results of other games?

https://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/w540/Library/SF1052/1567485.jpg

patrickccfc
31/08/2018, 10:28 PM
After sligo equalized tonight, you'd think they we're the ones pushing for a league title. We just kept lumping balls up the pitch we just had no plan b.

We were given a golden opportunity on Tuesday and we just wasted it, simply not good enough.

Booing the team and caulfield off and then clapping sligo off was just ridiculous and embarrassing.

Dundalk have it won, as much as they're fans play it down, we are not capable of putting up the fight. I'm not even confident in the game in longford next week. Very disappointing last couple of weeks.

ToberonaTornado
31/08/2018, 10:42 PM
throw a bone,then take it back and bury it :D

singing in the rain :rain: singing in the rain :note:

on the town

dong
31/08/2018, 11:17 PM
After sligo equalized tonight, you'd think they we're the ones pushing for a league title. We just kept lumping balls up the pitch we just had no plan b.

We were given a golden opportunity on Tuesday and we just wasted it, simply not good enough.

Booing the team and caulfield off and then clapping sligo off was just ridiculous and embarrassing.

Dundalk have it won, as much as they're fans play it down, we are not capable of putting up the fight. I'm not even confident in the game in longford next week. Very disappointing last couple of weeks.

To be honest we are a pretty rank side.
I wasnt at the game tonight but we really should have beaten you in the showgrounds last time around
On that basis I think you need to sack Caulfield and regroup with a more progressive manager.

Ezeikial
31/08/2018, 11:20 PM
throw a bone,then take it back and bury it :D

singing in the rain :rain: singing in the rain :note:

on the town

To be fair, Dundalk contributed little to the pivotal events of the week, apart from actually getting the critical goal in Market's Field.

Team of the week goes to either Sligo Rovers (for being the first team to win a league match in Turners Cross this season) or Shamrock Rovers U-8's (for their inexorable march towards being World Cub champions)

oriel
31/08/2018, 11:28 PM
Dundalk were poor enough v Limerick, was more hoping than expecting the win after the dreadful first 70 and it wasn’t good.

Super strike by Duffy and obviously delighted with the result but couldn’t believe the updates from Cork, a draw would have been nice but extremely unlikely, seeing a 2nd goal for Sligo, I couldn’t believe it.

To be 6 points ahead was the target last Tuesday, it didn’t happen, we didn’t deserve to win, then again I’m not sure I thought it would happen again in the title race, but never expected it to be so soon.

There might he more twists and turns ahead, advantage Dundalk, but I’ll still say we are not playing that well.

Johnnie C
31/08/2018, 11:38 PM
Rough on Limerick tonight, definitely deserved to take something from the game, best they've played in a while. After 3 easy wins already this season Dundalk probably expected a handy evening. Hopefully Limerick can replicate tonight's performance next Friday night again although Dundalk will hardly be as below par as they were tonight.

WoodquayBoy
01/09/2018, 12:44 AM
Over in the wilderness league, Galway United brought on a 15-years-old tonight for his senior debut, Dara Costelloe, doesn’t turn 16 until December. The two other subs introduced tonight are both 16 - Colin Kelly and Donal Higgins. For music fans, Higgins is the son of The Stunning’s Jimmy Higgins - in a neat link, United have played The Stunning’s Brewing Up A Storm for the teams’ entry for years. Guess we’re building for the future

ToberonaTornado
01/09/2018, 2:09 AM
Rough on Limerick tonight, definitely deserved to take something from the game, best they've played in a while. After 3 easy wins already this season Dundalk probably expected a handy evening. Hopefully Limerick can replicate tonight's performance next Friday night again although Dundalk will hardly be as below par as they were tonight.
You're prob right that Lims deserved something from the match because they were excellent and the result was a bit cruel on them at the end.

Dundalk looked a bit unbalanced from the start with a few players being played out of position and some others simply not on their game.Connolly was deservedly hooked at h/t,McGrath should also have been imo(and was hauled eventually)Sean Hoare was a big miss for us.
Shout out for Gary Rogers who was top class in the Dundalk nets.

Lims had a lot of injuries,we expected an easier ride than we got but we're bang out of form and rode our luck a bit but our persistent attacking play paid off in the end.

Quite a good game really with some decent end to end play and a good atmosphere.

rebel
01/09/2018, 8:20 AM
League over. Well done Dundalk.

osarusan
01/09/2018, 8:38 AM
Dundalk never really got going last night.

I had expected them to be sending a message after the defeat to Rovers, but they were fairly sloppy and didn't have much of a plan. We allowed them to have the ball and just focused on keeping our shape and being disciplined, and it worked pretty well.

But once they got the goal it was all over, they saw it out very comfortably. Still, enough positive signs there to think we can put up a fight in the playoff.

Ezeikial
01/09/2018, 8:43 AM
League over. Well done Dundalk.

The congratulations are gracious but premature.

If roles were reversed I would be very disappointed and probably a little angry if fellow supporters and/or my team were throwing in the towel.

If Cork beat Bohs on 14 Sept (Dundalk have no league game that weekend) they will go into the Turners Cross fixture against Dundalk needing to win to go back level at the top of the table

Cork would have 4 games left and Dundalk with 5 games - Derry, St Pats, Waterford, Sligo and Bohs

It would be difficult to achieve, but that does not mean it is impossible

If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right - Henry Ford

RathfarnhamHoop
01/09/2018, 8:45 AM
These types of comments always age well....

Aged well enough the past 30 years anyway

RathfarnhamHoop
01/09/2018, 8:47 AM
I wonder what they are looking at? Results of other games?

https://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/w540/Library/SF1052/1567485.jpg

Probably showing him the price list for his next batch of smokes

Ezeikial
01/09/2018, 9:37 AM
Aged well enough the past 30 years anyway

It must be difficult for Rovers supporters younger than 35 years old - having to get their kicks from the sepia tinted history books

3 league titles in three decades and no FAI Cups in over 30 years paints a picture of a massively under performing club.

ToberonaTornado
01/09/2018, 9:48 AM
Probably showing him the price list for his next batch of smokes

PSSSStt.

i've a sleeve of 24 league points here if you want to join the party at the top table ;)

Say nawhin to nobody.

nigel-harps1954
01/09/2018, 10:48 AM
Mark Timlin put in his best performance since joining Harps last night. He really was superb. His was the pick of the goals too.

Ezeikial
01/09/2018, 11:14 AM
On a side note - Cork passed up on their second successive opportunity to secure 2019 European qualification last night.

A win over St Pats last week would have done the trick or even a draw last night would have secured it. It could be finally achieved by getting a point or more away to Bohs in the next league match or by other results that weekend getting them across the line.

Poor Student
01/09/2018, 11:21 AM
Mark Timlin put in his best performance since joining Harps last night. He really was superb. His was the pick of the goals too.

What's the feeling up in Ballybofey? Any of you feel you still have a fighting chance?