PDA

View Full Version : Irish Fans on Sky News

OwlsFan
29/03/2005, 1:45 PM
Anyone see a couple of them being interviewed in Israel before the game ? Asked about the score today one fan replies, pointing to his drink: "I don't really care. I'm here for the drink. And it's good!"

Fans like that at games really p me off. Probably spend their time sitting on their hands. Sure you can say they travelled but obviously not to SUPPORT the team. Does nothing to help the stereotypes image either?

Go, enjoy yourself, but stand up for the boys in green!!

FarBeag
29/03/2005, 5:03 PM
I reckon the reporters look around at the fans and pick what they perceive as the biggest 'knobheads' and ask them a few questions.It always turns out they are exactly that.

boysingreen
29/03/2005, 5:07 PM
Anyone see a couple of them being interviewed in Israel before the game ? Asked about the score today one fan replies, pointing to his drink: "I don't really care. I'm here for the drink. And it's good!"

Fans like that at games really p me off. Probably spend their time sitting on their hands. Sure you can say they travelled but obviously not to SUPPORT the team. Does nothing to help the stereotypes image either?

Go, enjoy yourself, but stand up for the boys in green!!

So much for the notion that only the diehards travel. How could an Irish fan of any degree say they don't care about the score.

Poor Student
29/03/2005, 5:10 PM
For all we know there were plenty of decent comments and they just picked out the Paddy stereotype to look good on TV. One thing a mate pointed out was that when reporting on the Pope's illness they just kept showing some picture of him at a balcony where he was trying to send out a dove that looked really stupid out of the wealth of images of him they could have shown.

Don Vito
30/03/2005, 11:29 AM
Saw that on Sky, turned my stomach. Pure event junkies.

Beavis
30/03/2005, 12:00 PM
Saw that on Sky, turned my stomach. Pure event junkies.
You could hardly count them as event junkies. It was hardly the most attractive trip given security concerns, having to travel over 3000 miles and pay €800 for the trip. This is obviously an isolated case, they probably didn't even mean it and were just looking for a cheap laugh. Most people we talked to had a large catalogue of away fixtures behind them.
People on here take everything so seriously. So some lads had a fight, another didn't make the game cos he was drunk, big deal. There were 3,000 or so others who were good representatives of the country but no-one is focussing on that.

Closed Account 2
30/03/2005, 12:21 PM

They were probably having a joke, saw the camera and thought it would be funny to say that. You would have to question why would someone go all the way to Tel Aviv just to have a píss-up...? Expensive and long flight, when you consider for half the price they could go somewhere just as hot but nearer (Costas, Balearics, Greek Islands).

Snoop Drog
31/03/2005, 12:14 AM
Dunno, these 'event junkies' seem oblivious to cost & travel.

Bout 5 years ago I saw a group of 4 Irish guys at the Melbourne Grand Prix, decked out from head to foot in Jordan GP gear (like fookin canaries they where!). During the warm up lap they were screaming there heads off, waving their flags at there beloved Jordan team. Half an hour into the race, two of 'em where flat on their backs ASLEEP on the hill (dunno how you sleep with F1 cars buzzing by...). The other pair looked on, bored, looking at their watched more often than looking at the race.

OwlsFan
31/03/2005, 12:01 PM
Owlsfan, were you there? If you were, you are entitled to comment. If not it seems to me those who saw the coverage on Sky Sports are knocking those who paid a lot of money to travel thousands of miles to follow the team and maybe have a few pints along the way. That's pretty remarkable logic by any stretch of the imagination. I have a few pints at every game I go to, for me that's part of the live football experience. If I wanted to merely analyse every move I'd sit at home in front of the telly.

No, I was not there but I can still comment on gobdaws representing Ireland who say they don't care about the result, they're only there for the drink. I said in my post, enjoy yourself but stand up for the boys in green.

I see them at away matches all the time. Don't open their mouths at games and then sing "Always look on the bright side of life" when we lose. Drives me bananas. To me supporting Ireland is about winning or getting the best result possible and spending the whole game singing and screaming at the top of your voice. The craic and ceol is secondary. Unfortunately some fans regards that at the top of the list and the match as a secondary occurence.

Beavis
31/03/2005, 12:09 PM
Lets drop this. 99.5% of fans gave a positive account and enjoyed themselves. As Conor said, I find it a bit offensive that the esteem of irish away fans has been tarred because of the comments of one single person.

OwlsFan
31/03/2005, 4:25 PM
Lets drop this. 99.5% of fans gave a positive account and enjoyed themselves. As Conor said, I find it a bit offensive that the esteem of irish away fans has been tarred because of the comments of one single person.

Do you really think 99.5% of fans give a good account of themselves? At the most recent game in Basel I reckon a good proportion wouldn't get off their behinds to sing. That's why I love the song: "Stand up for the boys in green.." because the planks actually have to get to their feet to show they're alive otherwise they can't see the game.

Saint Tom
31/03/2005, 5:40 PM
the football was only ninety minutes of a four day trip. I don;t know anyone who travelled who wasn't up for the game but, at the same time, You got to treat it as a holiday especially when the majority use their time off following the boys in green!