PDA

View Full Version : Team announced!

eirebhoy
29/03/2005, 11:31 AM
Kenny

Maybury, Cunningham, Dunne, O'Shea;

Reid, Kavanagh, Kilbane, Duff;

Keane, Elliott.

Very suprised with the team. Not much experimenting going on there. Although, there is 6 changes from the last game.

TheJamaicanP.M.
29/03/2005, 11:36 AM
Would get rid of Maybury for starters. The fact that Kerr is playing him makes me think that Maybury may be in line for the right back position against Israel in June. That would mean Finnan on the right of midfield and more negative tactics at home. Glad to see Elliott playing. Disappointed that McGeady isnt getting a start. Knowing Kerr, we will probably see McGeady for the last 10 minutes.

NeilMcD
29/03/2005, 11:37 AM
Well I Think its a good team, we were never going to see a whole host of fringe players playing as you need to give players a chance to play with some experienced players. I think all of the players who play for Newcastle were always going to be rested along with Roy Keane and Steve Finnan.

I think maybe Mc Geady on in the second half instead of Duff is a likely change too.

Stuttgart88
29/03/2005, 11:42 AM
OK, I said yesterday I'd like to see McGeady start. But on reflection I'd rather start the midfield we want to start against Israel. Bring McGeady on later, probably for Duff. I'm sure Duff won't be given much more than 60 minutes.

Dunne deserves a run.

Kenny's inclusion is obvious.

I'm glad to see Elliott in there, it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Maybury is the surprise. I'm not panicking though - I'm sure it's just to see how he does. Finnan is a no-brainer at full-back now. If we're good enough to beat Portugal at home with Finnan & Reid manning the right flank, we should be good enough to beat Israel.

FarBeag
29/03/2005, 11:44 AM
Yes.I totally aggree with your theory on Maybury i think he will play in that role for our next meeting,its a shame but we dont really have anyone else apart from Kelly who doesnt have a cap or the experience. Maceady will get a run but it will not be until after half time, hopefully 45 minutes and not the silly 5-10 min he has done up to now. As Tuff Paddy said (i think) we are world champions in Friendlies so we cant lose.

NeilMcD
29/03/2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah I dont think this game has any relation to the game in June againts Israel.

Against Israel kerr will pick

Given

Finnan Cunningham, O Brien O Shea

Reid Holland/Kavanagh Kilbane Duff

Keane Morrison

If everybody is fit the only decision to be made is between Holland and Kavanagh to replace Keane. He may go with international experience but I would like to see Kavanagh in there.

Hibs4Ever
29/03/2005, 11:45 AM
Maybe he's playing Maybury because Finnan has nothing to prove??????

He's playing Paddy Kenny. That doesn't mean Given will be dropped :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
29/03/2005, 11:47 AM
He is resting Finnan simple as that and giving Maybury more experience, Maybury will not play against Israel, Finnan will and Reid will

OwlsFan
29/03/2005, 11:55 AM
What about Kavanagh over Holland ?

If Morrisson needs match fitness why not play him ? I think he should start (Given apart) with the team he will use against Israel.

Kenny (Given)

Finnan Dunne Cunningham O'Shea
Reid Holland Keane Duff
Keane Morrisson

I like Graham Kavanagh but I reckon Holland has a better chance of scoring for us. Holland also plays regularly in the Premiership.

Kilbane is out of form and should be rested.

Hibs4Ever
29/03/2005, 11:57 AM
What about Kavanagh over Holland ?

If Morrisson needs match fitness why not play him ? I think he should start (Given apart) with the team he will use against Israel.

Kenny (Given)

Finnan Dunne Cunningham O'Shea
Reid Holland Keane Duff
Keane Morrisson

I like Graham Kavanagh but I reckon Holland has a better chance of scoring for us. Holland also plays regularly in the Premiership.

Kilbane is out of form and should be rested.

Roy is suspended mate

NeilMcD
29/03/2005, 12:00 PM
Owls Fan What is the point he giving ideas on what he might pick against China when he has picked a team already and released it to the media.

The choice for the Israel game is simple Holland or Kavanagh. Just like it was between Reid and Finnan for the away game. With Kerr there are never more than 1 or 2 places up for discussion we should all know that by now.

stojkovic
29/03/2005, 12:05 PM
Kenny

Maybury, Cunningham, Dunne, O'Shea;

Reid, Kavanagh, Kilbane, Duff;

Keane, Elliott.

Very suprised with the team. Not much experimenting going on there. Although, there is 6 changes from the last game.
Why persist with OShea at left back. Its not working. He cant cross a ball with his left peck. Should Kerr not experiment with Finnan at left back. Not for Israel game with Carr out but just to see if he can do a better job than O'Shea.

Someone mentioned Holland. Mattie is at home with his sick wife and rightly so, its only a friendly against China FFS.

Good to see Elliot and Honey Monster start, also Paddy Kenny.

eirebhoy
29/03/2005, 12:06 PM
is it only me or does that team show a complete different attitude to that of the one in israel??????

very very attack minded, a pity he didnt go with that in israel, apart of course from maybury, no matter how appalling finnan and carr were i wouldnt have him there.
In fairness, the only thing that makes it more attacking is that Reid is on the right instead of Finnan. The fans were 50/50 over that before the match.

Kav has only ever played the holding role under Kerr. Holland has partnered holders so gets the chance to get forward. Let Kav partner Keane and you'll see the amount of times he shoots. :)

OwlsFan
29/03/2005, 12:18 PM
Roy is suspended mate

Yes. Forgot that. Then let's try Kavanagh and Holland midfield or is Kilbane a shoe in for that spot against Israel ?

Stuttgart88
29/03/2005, 12:22 PM
Even playing the supposed holding role Kav's range of passing is so much more than any of our midfielders. I think Kav can bring a more attacking dimension to central mid without compromising the protection offered to the back four. He's a very intelligent footballer.

I think he's a very similar player to Thomas Gravesen whose qualities were largely unnoticed in England until this year, but was consistently a very useful international player.

Juz the Hoop
29/03/2005, 12:25 PM
What Does Aidan McGeady have to do to get a start. Shoot someone :-(.

KOH

JUZ

pete
29/03/2005, 12:26 PM
I'm surprised Kerr not make more changes but is consistent with his choices in the past.

Kenny is getting some experience.
Dunne as no.3 centre half gets chance to prove himself alongside no.1 centre half.
Elliot no.3 forward gets chance alongside no.1 forward.

Presume Kilbane playing cos Holland missing.

I think McGready will get last 15-20mins when Duff subbed. Obviously Kerr doesn't see him as option anything but 4-5th choice wing for current campaign.

Moderator Hat: Anyone more "jokes" bordering on the racist & i'll be handing out bans.

Littlest Hobo
29/03/2005, 12:29 PM
Fair nuff, give kenny a run out. He needs more experience playin for us. Anyhow there's no guarantees Given will be 100% fit for the israel game.
Maybury is assurance that if Finnan gets injured between now and june, then he can slot in at RB. Dunne is worth a go beside cunningham.
Spot on..The midfield is the one I would go with against Israel.
Morrison has earned his rest.
Elliot has a chance to shine and a goal will give hims bags of confidence.
Reckon he'll replace duff with McGeady late on for a run out.
Still stick with Robbie and clint for june.

tetsujin1979
29/03/2005, 1:07 PM
I'd have given Clint the run out in this game, we're well aware of what Robbie can do, Clinton needs the match practice.

On the other hand, if Clinton can't get back into the Birmingham team by the end of the season, we may have to start with Robbie and Elliott, so this will show what they can do together.

Stuttgart88
29/03/2005, 1:10 PM
I think if Clinton hasn't been getting his game at Brum he'd still start with Robbie & Clinton. Kerr is probably giving Elliott some experience with Robbie in case he needs (sorry, wants) to substitute Clinton earlier next time.

NeilMcD
29/03/2005, 1:11 PM
Stephen Kelly is injured he pullled out of the U21 squad last week.

tetsujin1979
29/03/2005, 1:12 PM
Sorry Pete.
By the way, how will Stephen Kelly ever get experience if we don't give him a run in matches like this one tonight? So we wait until we have a defensive crisis and then throw him in. Spurs fans I know rave about him, so does Martin Jol.

Kelly's injured, he didn't play for the U-21's at the weekend

Stuttgart88
29/03/2005, 1:15 PM
Sorry Pete.
By the way, how will Stephen Kelly ever get experience if we don't give him a run in matches like this one tonight? So we wait until we have a defensive crisis and then throw him in. Spurs fans I know rave about him, so does Martin Jol.

I wouldn't be too bothered about blooding Kelly just yet. Sure, I'd like to see him but we've other priorities. But playing Maybury isn't one of them I'd agree!

Personally I think it could be more use trying O'Shea right back & Maybury left back. I just think O'Shea looks more comfortable there. Maybury plays left back every week.

JimmyP
29/03/2005, 1:20 PM
If he replaces Robbie with Clint in the second half,
then he can see how well Elliot teams up with either one.