PDA

View Full Version : Wales V Republic of Ireland - Cardiff - 6th September 2018 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Closed Account
27/08/2018, 11:31 AM
Republic of Ireland Provisional Squad

Goalkeepers:
Colin Doyle (Hearts),
Sean McDermott (Kristiansund BK),
Kieran O'Hara (Macclesfield Town*),
Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough)

Defenders:
Seamus Coleman (Everton),
Cyrus Christie (Fulham),
Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers),
Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion),
Richard Keogh (Derby County),
Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United),
Kevin Long (Burnley),
Stephen Ward (Burnley),
John Egan (Sheffield United),
Enda Stevens (Sheffield United),
Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers),
Greg Cunningham (Cardiff City)

Midfielders:
Alan Judge (Brentford),
Jeff Hendrick (Burnley),
Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa),
Alan Browne (Preston North End),
Shaun Williams (Millwall),
David Meyler (Reading),
Harry Arter (Cardiff City*),
Daryl Horgan (Hibernian),
Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City),
James McClean (Stoke City)

Forwards:
Jonathan Walters (Burnley),
Shane Long (Southampton),
Graham Burke (Preston North End),
Callum Robinson (Preston North End),
Aiden O'Brien (Millwall)

*Indicates player is on loan

dr_peepee
27/08/2018, 2:53 PM
Jayzus it’s hard reading....

seanfhear
27/08/2018, 4:13 PM
Republic of Ireland Provisional Squad
Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle (Hearts), Sean McDermott (Kristiansund BK), Kieran O'Hara (Macclesfield Town*), Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough)
Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley), John Egan, Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Greg Cunningham (Cardiff City)
Midfielders: Alan Judge (Brentford), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Shaun Williams (Millwall), David Meyler (Reading), Harry Arter (Cardiff City*), Daryl Horgan (Hibernian), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City)
Forwards: Jonathan Walters (Burnley), Shane Long (Southampton), Graham Burke, Callum Robinson (Preston North End), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall)

*Indicates player is on loanNo Rice with that ; Gallows humour .

Cathalsmart
27/08/2018, 5:06 PM
Looking at Wales' squad combined with a new manager I think we could not ask for a better start tbh as because its away we wont be expected to go out and win, the one area we are strong and if they are all on song we can keep them at bay. At the moment I think this almost has a 0-0 written all over it unless someone can create something out of nothing. People must remember that Giggs hasnt had enough time with the entire squad since the China Cup so there is no way they will be up to speed so part of me thinks Giggs would be happy enough with a draw as I dont think Wales will fear coming to Dublin and by then they will probably be more up to speed.

My prediction right now is a 0-0 draw as both teams I feel will want to avoid defeat more than anything.

TrapAPony
27/08/2018, 5:54 PM
Probably the worst squad I have seen in years. Very poor goalkeepers aside from Randolph, the defence is just about passable, no quality in midfield, no goalscorers of note and our style of football is like watching paint dry.

pineapple stu
27/08/2018, 6:07 PM
McDermott has kind of come out of nowhere? Handful of underage caps, but don't think he was really mentioned here anyway.

First signatory of the Proclamation of Independence to play for us? :)

liamoo11
27/08/2018, 6:44 PM
McDermott has kind of come out of nowhere? Handful of underage caps, but don't think he was really mentioned here anyway.

hopefully We cap him against wales so We dont have the bitch fest when the norweigans call him up

Cathalsmart
27/08/2018, 6:51 PM
Probably the worst squad I have seen in years. Very poor goalkeepers aside from Randolph, the defence is just about passable, no quality in midfield, no goalscorers of note and our style of football is like watching paint dry.

To be fair there are alot of injuires plus the whole Rice saga.

IsMiseSean
27/08/2018, 8:00 PM
To be fair there are alot of injuires plus the whole Rice saga.

Who's missing through injury?
Off the top of my head I can only think off Brady & McCarthy as certain starters. Then Maguire, Hogan, Williams & Westwood as squad players.

Has Westwood retired?

irishfan86
27/08/2018, 8:35 PM
Has Westwood retired?

Westwood is essentially frozen out at Sheffield Wednesday. He had a bad injury last year and it seems he's lost the starting job. There was speculation he was going to be sold in the transfer window but that didn't happen.

I saw something about Man City potentially trying to get special dispensation to sign him as a backup given Bravo's injury even though the transfer window has closed. Normally I'd write that off but it seems too obscure to be simply made up? Who knows.

pineapple stu
28/08/2018, 6:20 AM
Who's missing through injury?
Off the top of my head I can only think off Brady & McCarthy as certain starters. Then Maguire, Hogan, Williams & Westwood as squad players.

Has Westwood retired?
Wiki has a list of recent call-ups here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team#Recent_ call-ups). Elliott, Rice and Brady are the only Premiership players there.

Are Whelan and McGeady injured or dropped? James McCarthy hasn't actually played a game for us in two years, amazingly.

I don't think we're particularly hit by injuries.

zero
28/08/2018, 10:25 AM
Wiki has a list of recent call-ups here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team#Recent_ call-ups). Elliott, Rice and Brady are the only Premiership players there.

Are Whelan and McGeady injured or dropped? James McCarthy hasn't actually played a game for us in two years, amazingly.

I don't think we're particularly hit by injuries.

McGeady is injured but based on recent comments by MON i don't think he would have been considered anyway. Whelan has been dropped.

We're terribly light on goals in the squad so the 3-5-2 / keep it tight / long balls / set pieces will be the way to go I suppose.

I'd go with something like:

Randolph
Coleman Long Duffy Clark Ward
Hendrick Arter McClean
Walters? Long?

Neither front player has played much / at all this season...

Diggs246
28/08/2018, 11:45 AM
This is the team I would start with

Randolph
Coleman Long Duffy Ward
Matt Doherty Hendrick Arter McClean
Robinson
Walters

Stuttgart88
28/08/2018, 12:27 PM
I'd be a bit more radical.

I think we'll stick with 3 CBs and - although it was only against an experimental USA team - I think Stevens, Horgan and Lenihan did really well off the bench in the last game, and Williams looked decent in Paris. I think MO'N likes O'Dowda too.

But I'm not sticking my neck on the line and predicting or even proposing a team :)

shakermaker1982
28/08/2018, 7:59 PM
Grim reading that squad.

We really need Parrott to make the step up and go onto big things. At least we’ve got some PL defenders who are getting game time.

IsMiseSean
28/08/2018, 8:19 PM
We really need Parrott to make the step up and go onto big things.

It'll be interesting to see who makes the break through first out of Parrott, Idah & Connolly.

Idah seems to be scoring for fun at the moment.

Anyway the team I'd pick: 4-3-3

Randolph
Coleman, Duffy, Clark, Ward
Arter, Meyler, Hendrick
O'Dowda, Long, McClean

Fixer82
29/08/2018, 12:43 AM

Au contraire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Connolly_(footballer)

Fixer82
29/08/2018, 12:44 AM
Grim reading that squad.

We really need Parrott to make the step up and go onto big things.

Surely he can't shoulder all the responsibility

zero
29/08/2018, 9:56 AM
Surely he can't shoulder all the responsibility

that one took me a while!

Cathalsmart
29/08/2018, 10:28 AM
http://www.the42.ie/wales-ireland-nations-league-4207681-Aug2018/

Shock horror FA do nothing to try stop Ampadu playing for Wales... help west England out when ever they can, who'd have guess...

tetsujin1979
29/08/2018, 1:05 PM
Wales squad announced

dynamo kerry
29/08/2018, 2:29 PM
It'll be interesting to see who makes the break through first out of Parrott, Idah & Connolly.

Idah seems to be scoring for fun at the moment.

Anyway the team I'd pick: 4-3-3

Randolph
Coleman, Duffy, Clark, Ward
Arter, Meyler, Hendrick
O'Dowda, Long, McClean

SO it's competitive, counts to rankings and has an effect on our long term qual opportunity. needs to be our strongest in form team. Need to factor in ability, recent form, familiarity and experience.

My team would be:
Randolph
Coleman Duffy Clark Ward
Doherty Hendrick Hourihane O'Dowda
Walters Mclean

However I think Meyler will play as he is getting his game at Reading in the middle. prob at expense of Hourihane who for some reason is not starting at Villa. O'dowda for Burke is another possible switch. I really can't see Arter starting

DeLorean
29/08/2018, 2:34 PM
Hourihane hasn't really taken his chances for us so far unfortunately. I think I would give Alan Browne another go.

Diggs246
29/08/2018, 2:37 PM
SO it's competitive, counts to rankings and has an effect on our long term qual opportunity. needs to be our strongest in form team. Need to factor in ability, recent form, familiarity and experience.

My team would be:
Randolph
Coleman Duffy Clark Ward
Doherty Hendrick Hourihane O'Dowda
Walters Mclean

However I think Meyler will play as he is getting his game at Reading in the middle. prob at expense of Hourihane who for some reason is not starting at Villa. O'dowda for Burke is another possible switch. I really can't see Arter starting

I think we need a big performance and a win would be just the tonic, with rice-gate etc

TrapAPony
29/08/2018, 2:49 PM
..............Randolph

Coleman Duffy Clark Ward

.........Arter.... Hendrick

O'Dowda .....................McClean

...............Robinson

...................... Long

Obviously it won't be but sure we might as well make it exciting.

Diggs246
29/08/2018, 3:59 PM
..............Randolph

Coleman Duffy Clark Ward

.........Arter.... Hendrick

O'Dowda .....................McClean

...............Robinson

...................... Long

Obviously it won't be but sure we might as well make it exciting.

I would say the team will be along those lines, maybe one player different

zero
30/08/2018, 11:28 AM
I'd be very surprised if Robinson starts.

DeLorean
30/08/2018, 12:04 PM
Giggs rules out a revenge mission and explains Neil Taylor's omission - https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/soccer/giggs-ireland-clash-not-welsh-revenge-mission-865493.html

Diggs246
30/08/2018, 3:26 PM
I'd be very surprised if Robinson starts.

I would be surprised if he doesn't start, MON gives debuts when he feels the player is good enough

Olé Olé
03/09/2018, 9:45 AM
http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/republic-of-ireland-squad-confirmed-for-double-header

Arter not in the squad and the FAI don't mention him in the release...

Diggs246
03/09/2018, 10:00 AM
I would now go with this line up
Randolph
Coleman Long Duffy Ward
Matt Doherty Hendrick Meyler McClean
Robinson
Walters

TrapAPony
03/09/2018, 10:37 AM
I would now go with this line up
Randolph
Coleman Long Duffy Ward
Matt Doherty Hendrick Meyler McClean
Robinson
Walters
I'd go with that too. Maybe O'Dowda for Doherty though. Either way, I think it is the best we can put out.

nigel-harps1954
03/09/2018, 10:39 AM
http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/republic-of-ireland-squad-confirmed-for-double-header

Arter not in the squad and the FAI don't mention him in the release...

All hearsay and rumours for now, but the story goes Roy Keane had a falling out with Arter in the summer games and he refused a call-up as a result.

Brief story in the Irish Times today suggesting as much.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/fai-declines-to-comment-on-implications-of-keane-arter-row-1.3616039

EDIT: I notice this discussed in another thread already, apologies for the repeat.

pineapple stu
04/09/2018, 11:37 AM
Not sure where this should go, but it concerns our Nations League campaign, and the Denmark v Wales game next week, so - Denmark are in serious trouble (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/04/christian-eriksen-calls-truce-denmark-row-could-see-team-amateurs/) getting a squad together because of an internal dispute, and are contacting amateur players to try fill spots.

If Wales get a gimme in arguably their toughest game (away to Denmark), then that gives them a serious head-start in terms of promotion and the potential Euro 2020 qualifying spot.

We play Denmark in Oct and Nov, but you'd imagine the issue would be sorted by then; I think one squad at most is how long this game of chicken would last.

zero
04/09/2018, 11:40 AM
Not sure where this should go, but it concerns our Nations League campaign, and the Denmark v Wales game next week, so - Denmark are in serious trouble (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/04/christian-eriksen-calls-truce-denmark-row-could-see-team-amateurs/) getting a squad together because of an internal dispute, and are contacting amateur players to try fill spots.

If Wales get a gimme in arguably their toughest game (away to Denmark), then that gives them a serious head-start in terms of promotion and the potential Euro 2020 qualifying spot.

We play Denmark in Oct and Nov, but you'd imagine the issue would be sorted by then; I think one squad at most is how long this game of chicken would last.

you'd think the wales game is a must win now or we're well on the back foot.

pineapple stu
04/09/2018, 11:42 AM
Wales must be laughing away; both squads appear in turmoil when you look at the Arter/Keane row as well actually.

DeLorean
04/09/2018, 11:51 AM
Wales must be laughing away; both squads appear in turmoil when you look at the Arter/Keane row as well actually.

Not to mention our injury situation. Wales appear to be in very good shape that way. All their heavy hitters available and Bale in good form. A draw would be a very good result for us.

jbyrne
04/09/2018, 12:45 PM
Denmark to play futsal players against wales...
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45382474

surely there will be a big sanction for Denmark if this happens given it undoubtedly brings the competition into disrepute?

TrapAPony
04/09/2018, 12:56 PM

surely there will be a big sanction for Denmark if this happens given it undoubtedly brings the competition into disrepute?

Has to be some sanctions over this and maybe more. UEFA are not going to allow their own competition to be made a mockery of.

zero
04/09/2018, 2:04 PM
McClean out.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/james-mcclean-faces-surgery-on-injured-wrist-as-problems-mount-for-ireland-ahead-of-wales-clash-37281778.html

Maybe he injured it fighting...

marinobohs
04/09/2018, 2:06 PM

A few more injuries / withdrawls and we will be calling up Dustin The Turkey (unless England have a word in his emm ear)

eekers
04/09/2018, 2:24 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous we are not taking these Nations League games seriously. This is our best chance of getting into Euro 2020.

DeLorean
04/09/2018, 2:47 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous we are not taking these Nations League games seriously.

What makes you think we're not taking the competition seriously?

zero
04/09/2018, 2:51 PM
We appear to be taking it more seriously than the Danes...

CraftyToePoke
04/09/2018, 2:54 PM
I'd say we are talking it seriously, because even someones of MONs levels of detached aloof arrogance is now aware, albeit only recently and only just, that the collective have had enough of him & he may not survive a collapse, I say collapse, I mean another collapse, of course.

Fixer82
04/09/2018, 3:14 PM
Kick Denmark out and bring in Yugoslavia!

Diggs246
04/09/2018, 3:17 PM
I would say O'Dowda is a certain starter now McClean is out.

backstothewall
04/09/2018, 3:29 PM
It's a flimsy looking squad. This could be very bad.

Diggs246
04/09/2018, 3:36 PM
I know Im a deamer, but could this be one of those game were we are written off and then... boom we pull it out of the bag

marinobohs
04/09/2018, 3:51 PM
I know Im a deamer, but could this be one of those game were we are written off and then... boom we pull it out of the bag

oh definitely, 100% certain.Now about these magic beans I have for sale.........;)