PDA

View Full Version : mannion

jbrazil
15/06/2001, 10:44 PM
more than likely the next manager of galway utd.

Mannion's first spell as manager began in 1985 and ended three years later; in 1991 he took over again, before leaving in somewhat controversial circumstances on New Year's Day in 1996 as Galway plunged to relegation later that season.

Mannion has the honour of being United's most successful manager of all time. He took charge of a Galway team 250 times, and he secured the club's highest League finish ever - 2nd - in 1986. In 1994, he guided his charges to 3rd place, and United have never done as well since.

Whether or not he will accept the offer is hard to tell, but the feeling around Galway is that he will. Despite being currently involved with local side Salthill Devon, Mannion is expected to find the offer of accepting the high-profile position too big to resist.

jbrazil
28/06/2001, 11:52 PM
Since the departure of Don O'Riordan as the club's first team manager last month rumours have been circulating as to who was set to take charge. It finally seemed as if the club would be announcing in the near future that Tony Mannion would be the "new" man in charge but it has since emerged that Mannion is not interested in taking on the job.
It would have been Mannion's 3rd stint as boss having guided the club to a 2nd placed finish behind the Shamrock Rovers 4-in-a-row team in 85-86 in his first spell in charge and later to 3rd place in the league in 93-94 - the highest ever finish for a promoted club.
Midway through the relegation season of 95-96 Mannion's second stint as manager came to an abrupt end when he was replaced by Denis Clarke. Mannion was unhappy at the way he was treated by the club and this may have had a bearing on his decision not to take on the job for a third time.
Other candidates still in contention are Kevin Cassidy, manager of Galway Hibs, Justin Neary, manager of the United youth teams and Stephen Lally, manager of Mervue United

http://www.galwayunited.3000.it/

JC_GUFC
29/06/2001, 6:13 PM
Please give credit if you take stuff of my site!

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~cannyjf/gufc/index.html

CU
JC

James
29/06/2001, 9:37 PM
Oi smiley in all fairness I think he did.
Follow the hyperlink he posted. It goes to your into the west site also but under a different URL. thats hardly his fault

CU
James

jbrazil
29/06/2001, 10:43 PM
na, thanks anyway james. it was my fault. i forgot about it until he told me, then i added one in.