PDA

View Full Version : Cork City 1-Shels o

Pages : [1] 2

ccfcgirl
28/03/2005, 8:54 PM
I thought it was a very entertaining game .Not a big crowd but the crowd that were there sang there hearts out .lots of yellows 2 red cards .i didnt see why Gamble was sent off .Heres hoping the setanta cup will come to leeside.

adamd164
28/03/2005, 9:03 PM
IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! :D :ball: :ball: :ball:

Lansdowne here we come!!

yan
28/03/2005, 9:06 PM
city played very well, shels can have no complaints, we were just better than them.

dunno why gamble got sent off,looked like he squared up to harris after harris' dirty challenge

a few dolan chants but thankfully we drownded them out

super goal by behan

could have been more, dunno why bennos goal was disallowed,wasnt offside! doyle and fenn shud have scored aswell

and the cockney rebels clearance off the line aswell was excellent

come on city!!!

god my throat hurts!!! :p

crc
28/03/2005, 9:10 PM
:) Great game, esp. the second half. i though the ref was decent on the most part, though I don't remember seeing the head-butt. I though Fenn should have been a bit quicker and/or decisive when he appeared to be in on goal, could have wrapped the game up. Crowd really got into it in the second half :) , but I wish someone would shut up the *****s who insist on adding SF/IRA chants into the Fields of Athenry. This is a football club not a sectarian abuse factory! :mad:

adamd164
28/03/2005, 9:14 PM
but I wish someone would shut up the *****s who insist on adding SF/IRA chants into the Fields of Athenry.
It's "The Fields Of Bishopstown"!

crc
28/03/2005, 9:14 PM
dunno why bennos goal was disallowed,wasnt offside!On a related point, why the hell did the ref allow Shels to restart play so quickly, when the City boys were celebrating?? :confused:

Also, there was a throw in the second half on the DF side, which went straight into touch. I thought the law on throws was that it wasn't in play until another player touches it, so why did Shels get awarded a throw where the ball rolled out, instead of allowing City to re-take the original throw?

god my throat hurts!!! :pme too! :D

crc
28/03/2005, 9:16 PM
It's "The Fields Of Bishopstown"!I never realised that :o , That makes a lot more sense :D . The SF/IRA point still applies, though.

adamd164
28/03/2005, 9:18 PM
Most of us just say Cit-y instead of sinn-fein
and turn-ers-cross instead of I-R-A.

SSS
28/03/2005, 9:26 PM
Gamble squared up to Harris and leaned in, but didn't butt him.
My buddy actually thinks that Alan Kelly's intervention served to shove Gamle into Harris making look like a butt - but I can't say I saw that.

Fenlon went ape when their #3 got red carded. Didn't see what happened but he clearly thought that George got your man sent off. He even went over to remonstrate with george after fulltime. Shels really can't handle losing...

We've laid some ghosts to rest tonight. We have nothing to fear from them. They even took off Crowe so they could hoof it to Harris.

Give Shels a game with a real ref (non eL) and they can't hack it. He pulled them up for the illegal play that they normally get away with.

MOTM for me was Hoggie. Blinder. Ollie did nothing and was subbed again.

Behan has the first touch of a wall, but that's two in two now..

Poor Student
28/03/2005, 9:36 PM
Wasn't a great game for the neutral. Turners Cross pitch looked like a bog, it was not helpful at all making the ball bobble around hardly encouraging either side to play on the deck. 1st half was pretty dull. Shels started strongly without threatening and then Cork came into it.

The second half was better, more chances and of course the red cards. I actually missed the bloody goal due to a trip to the kitchen. Cork played the more entertaining stuff. Kearney looked sharp and ingenuitive. O'Callaghan also had a decent game in the middle. Shels by comparison seemed more prone to just hoofing it. Lacked a real creativity. I see now why people say Crowe looks overweight, he was quite ineffective.

Can't figure out for the life of me why the second goal was ruled out. Setanta made no real effort to figure out during the game. The red cards I won't even touch with a barge pole. Rico was pretty livid himself over Cork's one. Fenlon went nuts. After the match he seemed to be shaking some of the City's players hands but then went nuts again when he got to O'Callaghan. Embarrassing really.

redgav
28/03/2005, 9:41 PM
:) Great game, esp. the second half. i though the ref was decent on the most part, though I don't remember seeing the head-butt. I though Fenn should have been a bit quicker and/or decisive when he appeared to be in on goal, could have wrapped the game up. Crowd really got into it in the second half :) , but I wish someone would shut up the *****s who insist on adding SF/IRA chants into the Fields of Athenry. This is a football club not a sectarian abuse factory! :mad:

.....our love was on the wing CI TY , we had dreams and songs to sing TURNERS CROSS , off the glory round the fields of Bishopstown

no rah chants in that that song biy

Fair_play_boy
28/03/2005, 9:56 PM
City 1-0 Shelbourne
Behan 60, from play.
Devine
Alan Bennett Neal Horgan Dan Murray Danny Murphy
Billy Woods Joe Gamble George O’Callaghan Liam Kearney
Denis Behan Kevin Doyle

Devine: 6. Assured. Not a lot to do. Came out of the penalty box for some crucial interceptions.
Benno: 7. Coped well under pressure. Pity the referee and linesmen could not see the punching he suffered off the ball. Even though his goal was disallowed, it shows what he can do when he comes up.
Hoggie: 7. Took a bit of physical punishment too, but kept his cool and linked well with Woodsie.
Murray: 5. Much steadier than last Friday, but is he more of a liability than an asset? He gave away possession twice when he tried to dribble out of defence.
Danny: 8. Almost flawless. Great to see him do so well over 90 minutes. Put in some crucial tackles, including one where he ran to the right back position to break down a Shels attack.
Woodsie: 7. Whipped in a couple of wicked crosses. Looked sharp except for a few moments of hesitation which cost us some offside decisions.
Gamble: 8. Joe seemed to be everywhere. What a hard worker, a real powerhouse. Red card was not deserved. Luckily we have decent replacements to choose from.
Georgie: 9. Love him or hate him, you would have to love him on the strength of tonight’s performance. Held and distributed the ball at will, even with two Shels players on him for parts of the match.
Kearney: 8. Shels defence had a nightmare with Kearney in form. It was a sign of how well he was doing when they gave up trying to tackle him, and instead opting for Shels plan B (i.e. thuggery). Oops, they forgot that we had a neutral referee, ready to protect our players.
Behan: 7. Had a reasonable game up to the time he scored, and appeared a different player from there on. If he keeps this up, Flynny will find it hard to reclaim his place.
Doyler: 8. His linking with Kearney, Georgie and Behan was a joy to watch.
Subs:
Fenn for Behan, 80 minutes: 7. Had to go into top gear almost at once. Really calm under pressure. Gave the back 4 a target to hoof for when they needed one. Pity he didn’t take a shot when one-on-one with the keeper, even though a defender (Dave Rogers?) was breathing down his neck.
Greg for Doyler, 88 minutes: 7. His fresh legs and will to win every 40-60 ball made a comeback goal for Shels even more unlikely.
Ref
Took no sh1t from Shels. A bit over the top with some of the yellows, but had to keep a firm hand on a group of willing thugs from Tolka. Why can’t we have somebody neutral every week?
Managers
Rico much more in evidence on side line. Gave it to the ref for the Gamble red card, and rightly so.
Fenlon was a different matter. His push on Alan Kelly (4th official) will cost him.

colblimp
28/03/2005, 10:01 PM
Also, there was a throw in the second half on the DF side, which went straight into touch. I thought the law on throws was that it wasn't in play until another player touches it, so why did Shels get awarded a throw where the ball rolled out, instead of allowing City to re-take the original throw?

The laws of the game state that the ball is in play when it has wholly crossed the touchline. A player does not have to touch it for it to be in play. :rolleyes:

Fair_play_boy
28/03/2005, 10:05 PM
There was another strange one. The original foul on Joe Gamble (red card incident) resulted in a free to Shels. :confused:

EnDai
28/03/2005, 10:44 PM
Referee was dire. I can honestly say I saw no fault with Cork's second goal, or why Gamble was dismissed. However, if you look at the replays of the Crawley red card, both he and O'Callaghan leant into each other (look at the replays, there's no question at all of that, both did the exact same thing), and O'C went down like Rivaldo, which was a shame to see. Either way, didn't make it to the game, it made for poor telvision watching, and Cork were (unfortunately) the slightly better team. :(

Roll on May 2nd :)

Fair_play_boy
28/03/2005, 10:55 PM
Referee was dire. I can honestly say I saw no fault with Cork's second goal, or why Gamble was dismissed. However, if you look at the replays of the Crawley red card, both he and O'Callaghan leant into each other (look at the replays, there's no question at all of that, both did the exact same thing), and O'C went down like Rivaldo, which was a shame to see. Either way, didn't make it to the game, it made for poor telvision watching, and Cork were (unfortunately) the slightly better team. :(

Roll on May 2nd :)I wasn't near the incident, but from where I sat, I thought Crawley's red card was for the rash challenge on O'Callaghan. But I agree with you on the point about going down soft. I hate to see it.

EnDai
28/03/2005, 10:57 PM
I don't think it was actually Crawley who made the challenge!! (Though I stand to be corrected). Going down soft? He looked like he'd been shot, groping his face and rolling about :eek:

Frankie Sky
28/03/2005, 10:59 PM
That number 3 should have been off well before the Georgie Incident..If Gamble was put off for shoving then so be it for him.Fenlon who takes him seriously,the worst type of dublin scum. Great night ,great victory,pity it wasn't 3 points.

Longfordian
28/03/2005, 11:00 PM
I thought Cork deserved their win but I didn't feel it was a classic game. The two sendings off and the goal that never was were mystifying to me, I thought O'Callaghan went down as if he was shot when there was clearly no contact, it was a straight red so not for the challenge, and Gamble never deserved to go either. The linesman on the Donie Forde stand side was heavily involved in all these incidents if I remember rightly and he got them all wrong in my opinion. Anyway hope ye suffer a hangover Thursday night in the Flansiro!

thecorner
28/03/2005, 11:00 PM
a few dolan chants but thankfully we drownded them out

WHATS THAT MEANT TO MEAN...IF FANS WAN TO CHANT HI NAME, SO BE IT,, IT WAS HIS TEAM OUT THERE ALL NIGHT

EnDai
28/03/2005, 11:02 PM
WHATS THAT MEANT TO MEAN...IF FANS WAN TO CHANT HI NAME, SO BE IT,, IT WAS HIS TEAM OUT THERE ALL NIGHT

He made that clear on the TV!

thecorner
28/03/2005, 11:07 PM
He made that clear on the TV!

didnt hear....but what did he say?

Fair_play_boy
28/03/2005, 11:09 PM
didnt hear....but what did he say?AFAIK we was one of the commentators in the box.

EnDai
28/03/2005, 11:12 PM
Basically every time he got a chance to talk it was "Oh I love Cork! Could win the Champions League..." style talk. Nothing wrong with being somewhat biased, but as a co-presenter he just spent the entire time comparing how much better Cork are than Shelbourne on the basis of 90 minutes and how no teams feared Shelbourne anymore, the only team to fear is CCFC, etc.

Found it amusing I must say, quality team, but he went "slightly :)" overboard, think he almost labeled Shels relegation favourites :)

A face
28/03/2005, 11:23 PM
labeled Shels relegation favourites

Never say never !! :D

EnDai
28/03/2005, 11:30 PM
:) :eek:

Troy.McClure
29/03/2005, 12:20 AM

Well most of them were from Gunthers time, so really you could say it was more Gunthers team!

Agree with you, if people want to sing his name, fair enough as long as they arent abusing anyone, but Dolan has no team at the moment, hence he's working with Setanta.

WE ARE RICOS REBELS!

A face
29/03/2005, 12:20 AM
try asking at info@corkcityfc.ie and they'll help you out !!

patsh
29/03/2005, 7:11 AM
No it wasn't, he is gone, get over it ffs....:rolleyes:

thecorner
29/03/2005, 7:20 AM
was chatting to andy needham(f.a.i) and mark mccadden( the star) last night afterwards and they were very very impressed

if we can play like that every week, nobody can stop us...but need to have less of the games like the bray one

pete
29/03/2005, 9:45 AM
Brilliant beating shel$ and so great to see Fenlon and the team losing the plot. Even with 10 men they didn't really threaten us.

Defense was excellent, shels didn't get much out of the hoofs. 1st half poor but came to life after goal. Linesman flagged Bennet offside for 2nd goal but don't know how that was possible - shel$ players didn't look for it either.

Crowe was sh!te again & looks like just there for the cash.

Very important to beat shel$ in first game as will give player more confidence during the league. Nice too to put some pressure on shel$ at the start of the season.

Northern ref liked to give out those cards too but suppose that protects the skillful players.

Great to start a week back in dubland after beating shel$ :D

Hibs4Ever
29/03/2005, 10:01 AM
Noticed Shels had over 40 fans there last night.
Then I realised why, NO SCHOOL TODAY :D

Cityfeen
29/03/2005, 10:11 AM

If yhe want to sing his name then go to th away supporters section because its bot helping city one bit.He's gone support Rico!!!

adamd164
29/03/2005, 10:24 AM
Ya if we're winning 1-0 there's no need to chant the ex-manager's name, get on with the here and now ffs!

Shedender
29/03/2005, 11:13 AM
The laws of the game state that the ball is in play when it has wholly crossed the touchline. A player does not have to touch it for it to be in play. :rolleyes:

I think the ball was thrown into play but blew back out again :rolleyes: , if he had thrown the ball and it never came into play he would get to throw again

Rebal Boy
29/03/2005, 11:50 AM
I,m on my hoils at the moment. A friend told me the result. I;m trilled that we finally beat them. :D Hopefully many more on the way. What was the crowd like at it? I'll be back this weekend anyway. Hopefully they can continue winning vs Lonford and Derry. City to win Setanta FAI and the League. :D

pete
29/03/2005, 12:29 PM
What was the crowd like at it?

IMO 3500.
Basically all covered sections full, only few people on lower Donie Forde, shed comfortable.

tiktok
29/03/2005, 12:29 PM

yeah, 'his' team that couldn't beat shels all the time he was in charge, I wonder is that because he spent too much time hating them and not enough figuring out how to beat them. :rolleyes: , he's gone ffs.

paudie
29/03/2005, 12:48 PM
Great to beat Shels.

Both players and crowd were nervous in the first half but we gradually came into it.

Were very good in the second half before and after the goal.

Learned from Bray game by not sitting back on the lead and Shels didn't put us under too much pressure. Win on Thursday will set us up well in the league.

niamh
29/03/2005, 12:48 PM
Here was me thinking that this thread would be about a great victory over Shels and no mention of Mr. D :rolleyes:

As for the game. The Setanta boys could see no reason why Bennett's goal was disallowed. He wasn't offside according to Rico and no one else was interfering in play. The only other thing mentioned was if there a push/foul of some sort.

Gamble got nowhere near Harris when he was sent off, but Crawley did make contact with George. Saying that, GOC went down like a bag of spuds which is disappointing IMO. He was deservedly named Man of the Match, superb in the second half, and didn't need to make such a big deal of it - the assistant ref was already waving his flag.

patsh
29/03/2005, 12:52 PM
yeah, 'his' team that couldn't beat shels all the time he was in charge, I wonder is that because he spent too much time hating them and not enough figuring out how to beat them. :rolleyes: , he's gone ffs.
I suppose I'll get a barrage of abuse for this, but has it occurred to anyone that maybe Dolan himself was the reason we couldn't beat $hels?
Dolan built $hels into something they are not and put huge extra pressure on us to beat them. He had a team that were well capable of beating them, as evidenced by our results away to them when we should have beaten them twice last season, but seemed more focused on their team and club than on City and how we would beat them.
Some of Dolans obssessions did not help the team, at the very least.
I have to say though that it looked like he was enjoying the game last night, and I reckon he was thrilled with the result.

rebel army no1
29/03/2005, 12:54 PM
i was in the heart of the shed and i must admit, the biys with the drums were brilliant, even before the game they handed out the rolling paper and connfetti(spelling????)b and even these small whistles. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tiktok
29/03/2005, 1:13 PM
I suppose I'll get a barrage of abuse for this, but has it occurred to anyone that maybe Dolan himself was the reason we couldn't beat $hels?

occured to anyone? :eek: that's exactly what I was implying Patsh ;) :D

tiktok
29/03/2005, 1:14 PM
i was in the heart of the shed and i must admit, the biys with the drums were brilliant, even before the game they handed out the rolling paper and connfetti(spelling????)b and even these small whistles. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why the rolleyes. It sounds like they were making an effort, were you too concerned with what your mates might think to join in.

Much easier to knock other people than to put yourself out there isn't it :rolleyes:

adamd164
29/03/2005, 1:17 PM
well said tiktok, the more people get involved the better

patsh
29/03/2005, 1:42 PM
occured to anyone? :eek: that's exactly what I was implying Patsh ;) :D
Yeah, sorry, wrong choice of words, a few of us were talking about that in PJs after the game, and I what I meant to say was that had it occurred to anyone else besides yourself.....:o

The Sheliban
29/03/2005, 6:20 PM
Well, we can have no complaints last night. We decided to play hoof-ball again and paid the price. Cork seemed hungrier in the second half and deserved the win. We barely had a single chance all night.
Both sending off incidents happened over the far side of the pitch, so couldn't really tell what happened, but friends watching on telly were pretty incensed by George.
It was strange, but it didn't really feel that bad losing to Cork last night. Okay, bitterly disappointed about our performance, but losing to a Rico-led Cork doesn't hurt as much as losing to a Dolan-led Cork. It remains a wonderful memory that in the nine games we played in his two seasons in charge, he failed to beat us once!!

rebel army no1
29/03/2005, 6:34 PM
Why the rolleyes. It sounds like they were making an effort, were you too concerned with what your mates might think to join in.

Much easier to knock other people than to put yourself out there isn't it :rolleyes:

sorry about that, as you can proberly see i dont make many posts and i though it was a happy face not rolleyes.

De Town
29/03/2005, 7:36 PM
sorry about that, as you can proberly see i dont make many posts and i though it was a happy face not rolleyes.
Sorry man but that has to be the worst excuse ever :o

razor
29/03/2005, 9:21 PM
if we can play like that every week, nobody can stop us...but need to have less of the games like the bray one
But surely this will ne no good to you cos when Dolan gets another side you'll be there quicker than you can get to the Horseshoe 10 minutes before half time.