PDA

View Full Version : rank our strikers

Colbert Report
28/03/2005, 2:12 AM
Neither of our two top striker choices play regular first team football with their clubs. Let's do a list of all available choices

Robbie Keane (Spurs)
Clinton Morrison (Birmingham)

Slash/ED
28/03/2005, 2:14 AM
There's a striker rotation policy at Spurs, Keane is as 'first choice' as anyone, even Defoe has had spells on the bench. I believe Keanes league goals per minutes played ratio as a striker is nearly as good as Defoes too.

Closed Account 2
28/03/2005, 3:52 AM
Its difficult to rank them all as some are vastly different to others in terms of options. For instance the Doc is a good aerial threat compared to our others, but ones like Robbie Keane are better with their ball at their feet.

The ones who've been in the reckoning recently

Keane-----------Best
Morrison
Elliott
Doc
Maken
Lee (to be fair ive not seen to much of him)
Connolly--------Worst

With the exception of Connolly I'd rather all these played instead of mucking around and playing wingers/midfielders as strikers. I hate seeing the likes of Duff, Reid and McGeady (again not seen to much of him), being forced to play as strikers, when they are great in their natural positions, its a waste... it would be like the Argentines playing Batistuta in midfield.

Éanna
28/03/2005, 12:36 PM
Kevin Doyle- Cork City. AFAIK he's the only one of those players to have scored at international (U21) level and in European competition in the last year. Should be there or thereabouts by now.

KR's Post
28/03/2005, 1:02 PM
Kevin Doyle- Cork City. AFAIK he's the only one of those players to have scored at international (U21) level and in European competition in the last year. Should be there or thereabouts by now.
Yiz could've done with him last friday!!!!!!! ;) :p

tetsujin1979
28/03/2005, 1:41 PM

To be fair, Robbie, Duff, Macken and Connolly (I think) never played U-21 football for Ireland

wws
28/03/2005, 1:49 PM
Morrison, far and away the best and most productive player we have at competitive level

brine3
28/03/2005, 2:02 PM
Credit where credit is due, I'd have to rank Morisson above Keane at the moment based on performances in the green. He got the opening goal against Cyprus, scored away in Switzerland and Israel and had France in the horrors. Robbie scored three goals in total, against Cyprus and the Faroe Islands, and two of those were penalties.

Robbie Keane has been living off his reputation ever since kock-down Quinn retired and the chances dried up.

Éanna
28/03/2005, 2:17 PM
Robbie Keane has been living off his reputation ever since kock-down Quinn retired and the chances dried up.
I would say that life has been made more difficult for Robbie because he's playing alongside a donkey like morrison. Robbie thrives on a good strike partner- he might as well not have one with "I'm oirish innit" alongside him :rolleyes:

brine3
28/03/2005, 2:29 PM
Yeah well Morisson is banging in the goals and long may it continue.

When was the last time Robbie Keane scored an away goal in a competitive match against a half decent team? Holland in 2000 I think...

higgins
28/03/2005, 2:41 PM
Morrison is a waste of space and as Eanna said he couldnt link up or get a partnership going with anyone hes that bad. Stick any striker up front for as long as Bling Bling and you'll see them score...

I not sure about his goals to games ratio but I can tell you one thing for sure he must have the best GOALS to TOUCH ratio going :D

He does be nowhere for most of the game?? Never looks to be at the races and Im shocked he scored the other night. Hes only half decent when he doesnt score as after a goal his big ego inflates further and he walks around with an even bigger head. He must have another record for time spent on Sky Sports News. Anytime they have a slow day they drag him out for some more "The gaffer says he wants me and I'll fight for my place" crap.

Flea
28/03/2005, 4:13 PM
To be fair, Robbie, Duff, Macken and Connolly (I think) never played U-21 football for Ireland
AFAIK this is not ture fot the 1st two.

As for the the strikers they go in this order Moro, Robbie, Connolly, Barrett, Crowe :p , Doc :o

De Town
28/03/2005, 4:30 PM
Could someone tell me did this lad play in the Leeds youth team a couple of years back? Blonde hair and originally from Wexford town?
He's from Wexford alright and has sorta blonde hair. Not sure if he played for Leeds youths before. Ask corkies or go to their website penpics, it might tell you there.

Superhoops
28/03/2005, 4:35 PM
....Morrison is a waste of space...

....he's playing alongside a donkey like morrison...
Morrison would be the first to admit he aint the greatest player on earth, but he is putting the ball in the net for us when it matters, something we badly need.

He deserves a bit more credit than this type of stupid comments

wws
28/03/2005, 4:51 PM
ive said it for a long time (and not because OF A COUPLE OF CRUCIAL GOALS) morrison is unorthodox and a willing worker (reason kerr left him on - overdid it of course as he was knackkered)

personally he's the only one in a green shirt who offers anything out of the ordinary at this level in the business end and final third - at international level a striker has two main jobs 1 score goals 2 occupy defenders with nuisance value ensuring they never get a chance to get creative or further up the pitch than you'd like

morrisons done both brilliantly

keane does one in fits and starts

FarBeag
29/03/2005, 12:03 AM
I totally aggree with then last two guys.He has scored vital goals for us even though we never appear to win when he scores first.I do hope that young Elliot gets a chance to prove himself at some stage but for now its Clint and Robbie.

OwlsFan
29/03/2005, 3:43 PM
Don't forget Graham Barrett - scored one for the Owls on Saturday. I'd sooner have him playing that the headless chicken Connolly.

Clint scores - don't care if he does nothing else but score. Robbie is due one as well.

No other combination comes near at the moment.

Metrostars
29/03/2005, 4:56 PM
I don't understand all the flak Morrison is getting. Sure, he is not Ronaldihno but he has scored for us. Noone else scored on Satruday did they?

Also, I highly doubt we will ever see Connolly play for Ireland again.

$Leon$
30/03/2005, 8:07 PM
we really need a big lanky striker.
another naill quinn or tony cas required urgently.
we need some one capable of winning the high balls.
maybe move a big fella forward? o'shea? zinadine kilbane?

Closed Account 2
31/03/2005, 12:21 AM
we really need a big lanky striker.
another naill quinn or tony cas required urgently.
we need some one capable of winning the high balls.
maybe move a big fella forward? o'shea? zinadine kilbane?

See if Peter Crouch has an Irish granny :p

tetsujin1979
31/03/2005, 9:43 AM
Doherty??

Seriously though, Elliott looks promising, Robbie and Clinton are delivering (for now), Macken is a decent squad player (nothing more, and I'm a Man City fan), and we have the likes of Stokes and Karl Bermingham coming though.

thecorner
31/03/2005, 9:58 AM
a donkey like morrison.:

just what u think of behan who is also banging in the goals ;)

donalfitz
31/03/2005, 1:31 PM
Doherty??

Seriously though, Elliott looks promising, Robbie and Clinton are delivering (for now), Macken is a decent squad player (nothing more, and I'm a Man City fan), and we have the likes of Stokes and Karl Bermingham coming though.
Robbie have been poor of late. He spent most of the isreal match walking around not looking for the ball, and when he gets it he gets rid of it. He lost the spark of his youth where he use to take on defenders and beat them.
Who long has it been since robbie scored in the green shirt? It been so long i can't remember. He should be made to fight for his shirt rather than handed to him. It might put a spark under him again. I used to be a fan of robbie but he has gone down hill too quickly of late. I don't believe he is delivering at the moment. His work rate is poor.
Clinton (who is unfit) can't seem to keep up with the pace , but he seems to get goals out of nowhere which is great ( i'm not complaining). He did a heck of alot of running to get the ball in Isreal. It was a pity that he had little support. It's also a pity that he is not getting enough games at club level.
Elliott does looks promising as he is trying to impress at the china game.
Is there any tall 6 foot plus centre forward out there who can handle the ball in the air to give us another option at goal?

donalfitz
31/03/2005, 1:34 PM
I would say that life has been made more difficult for Robbie because he's playing alongside a donkey like morrison. Robbie thrives on a good strike partner- he might as well not have one with "I'm oirish innit" alongside him :rolleyes:
At least the donkey is scoring goals and making an effort! and he does with little help from robbie.

wws
31/03/2005, 1:34 PM
to me theres no problem

we have one of the best International strikers in Europe - Clinton Morrison - nuff said - the only player to shine under Kerr - a real star of the show

TheJamaicanP.M.
31/03/2005, 2:37 PM
Robbie have been poor of late. He spent most of the isreal match walking around not looking for the ball, and when he gets it he gets rid of it. He lost the spark of his youth where he use to take on defenders and beat them.
Who long has it been since robbie scored in the green shirt? It been so long i can't remember. He should be made to fight for his shirt rather than handed to him. It might put a spark under him again. I used to be a fan of robbie but he has gone down hill too quickly of late. I don't believe he is delivering at the moment. His work rate is poor.
Clinton (who is unfit) can't seem to keep up with the pace , but he seems to get goals out of nowhere which is great ( i'm not complaining). He did a heck of alot of running to get the ball in Isreal. It was a pity that he had little support. It's also a pity that he is not getting enough games at club level.
Elliott does looks promising as he is trying to impress at the china game.
Is there any tall 6 foot plus centre forward out there who can handle the ball in the air to give us another option at goal?

Definitely the most stupid post I've read today. What are you on about? Robbie Keane has scored 4 international goals this season - 1 against Cyprus, 2 against the Faroes and 1 against Croatia back in November. Can you not remember that far back? Since he scored against Iran in the play-off at the end of 2001, his strike rate has been better than a goal every other game. Add that to the 15 goals he has for Spurs this season. Not bad for a player who hasn't always been first choice. I think Robbie was poor against China, but I thought he was one of our 3 best players against Israel. He was lively and enthusiastic. He played 2 or 3 fantastic passes behind the Israel defence. He was forced to come deep and get on the ball as the service was poor from the midfield. Sometimes I think people just like knocking Robbie for the sake of it. 24 international goals at the age of 24 and 105 goals in his club career (an average of more than 13 goals per season). As one user posted on this forum yesterday, Robbie is in the top 50 strikers in Europe when it comes to goals per games ratio at club level. He's probably in the top 10 strikers in Europe when it comes to international goals. Michael Owen, who is almost a year older than Robbie has 29 international goals and people rave about what he has achieved in the international game. If anything, I would say that Robbie Keane has been one of the most consistent strikers in Britain over the last 8 seasons.

Dillo
31/03/2005, 3:02 PM
As soon as Robbie graced the Ramat Gan turf in Tel Aviv on Saturday I was really impressed with what I saw. Watching him stand for our National Anthem before the game made me realise just how far the Tallaght frontman has come in a few years. The man they call Keano has come on in leaps and bounds since his playing days with Ireland at underage. I recently saw a flashback of Robbie playing for Ireland U20's against Germany from a few years back. I am deadly serious when I say you could not compare the Robbie of then to that of today. They are two totally different Keanos- like chalk and cheese. As regards his performance on the pitch, Robbie was forced to play deep for long periods against the Israelis and as a result he got little in the way of goal chances. But he did work hard and was his ever enthusiatic self. Robbie wasn't however, as impressive against China. Maybe the 10 hour flight took it's toll on him. Having said that, he still didn't forget his red wristband and posed for long periods. Lansdowne Road is crying out for more of his unique goal scoring celebrations and let's hope his next port of call is on June 4th!

Condex
31/03/2005, 3:29 PM
I would say that Robbie Keane has been one of the most consistent strikers in Britain over the last 8 seasons.

You do write a load of old boll**ks, is he relatd by any chance!!!

donalfitz
31/03/2005, 4:07 PM
He played 2 or 3 fantastic passes behind the Israel defence. He was forced to come deep and get on the ball as the service was poor from the midfield. Sometimes I think people just like knocking Robbie for the sake of it. 24 international goals at the age of 24 and 105 goals in his club career (an average of more than 13 goals per season). As one user posted on this forum yesterday, Robbie is in the top 50 strikers in Europe when it comes to goals per games ratio at club level. He's probably in the top 10 strikers in Europe when it comes to international goals. Michael Owen, who is almost a year older than Robbie has 29 international goals and people rave about what he has achieved in the international game. If anything, I would say that Robbie Keane has been one of the most consistent strikers in Britain over the last 8 seasons.
I used to be a great fan of Robbie Keane. But he going down hill fast at the moment which is a concern. :( He has an impressive record for his age, that i'm not disputing that. But I think it's all got to his head at the moment. All of his passes were backwards even when he was sitting in front of the Israeli goal. The Israeli defender are now as good a Robbie face in the premiership and Robbie didn't bat an eye lid at them. The isreali were not afraid of him as the match continue they grew with confidence and knew he was no threat to them. I watch him for the whole match and i was not impressed. Cyprus, and the Faroes are nothing. There are not much opposition of a threat to us are they??? :rolleyes: The sooner the better he get back to his old form and tackle the best for ireland.
As a striker, you can't always depend on support. Good strikers can make goals out of absolute nothing..
The service was poor for Clinton too, but he had to go for the ball to get some action.
I was not a fan of Clinton until i saw the off camera work he does, which impress me, even when he was tried he kept trying crisscrossing over Robbie from left to right, and back again when Robbie wasn't looking to receive the ball. I didn't see his goal due to a camera in the way but he is improving and a lot of work to do. His goal against china was a fluke, lucky for us. May it continue. :)

Slash/ED
31/03/2005, 4:31 PM
All of his passes were backwards even when he was sitting in front of the Israeli goal.

Did we watch the same game? :confused: Keane was the only one passing the ball forwards. He hit some lovely passes, one on his left boot that was stunning and a sublime one for Roy Keane that he could have scored from. Keane was very impressive against Israel as an all round player, unfortunately he was forced to play essentially in mid field.

FarBeag
31/03/2005, 6:20 PM
keane was very impressive against Israel as an all round player, unfortunately he was forced to play essentially in mid field.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree.He did try his utmost but he does need to score more goals.Its quite obvious sometimes that Robbie runs around like a headless chicken,constantly falling over looking for a free kick. He has done very well for Ireland with his massive contribution and we dont have anyone better at present but he is very inconsistant.

Superhoops
31/03/2005, 9:27 PM
I was not a fan of Clinton until i saw the off camera work he does........His goal against china was a fluke, lucky for us. May it continue. :)
B*llocks, Morrison knew exactly what he was doing, he saw the keeper off the line and went for it. If Wayne Rooney had scored that goal for Engerland, we would still be watchin it.

eirebhoy
31/03/2005, 9:28 PM
When Clinton's scoring, Robbie isn't and vice versa... :)

Kevin77
01/04/2005, 12:58 AM
You do write a load of old boll**ks, is he relatd by any chance!!!

Jamaican PM is spot on the money in this regard and 95% of the time otherwise. He puts a bit of thought into his posts, applies reason and logic and not just the latest tabloid or tall poppy fad to his posts like a lot of people on here.

As for Robbie Keane, his record speaks for itself. Morrison is the best we have at the moment and is actually performing fantastically in the green (leave out his baffling omission by Bruce at Birmingham). Elliot looks promising. Macken is cover, Connolly is desperation and Docherty...please God no!

FarBeag
01/04/2005, 3:18 AM
Quote by Kevin77

As for Robbie Keane, his record speaks for itself. Morrison is the best we have at the moment and is actually performing fantastically in the green (leave out his baffling omission by Bruce at Birmingham). Elliot looks promising. Macken is cover, Connolly is desperation and Docherty...please God no![/QUOTE]

Good post have to agree, hopefully by June, both Morrison and Keane will be raring to go and burst that Israeli Net with Elliot doing the job at Sunderland gaining more and more experience.
BTW...Can anyone tell me how to do this Quoting thing correctly,I am a total Thicko around computers so ur help would be appreciated.