PDA

View Full Version : Pats V City

Pages : [1] 2

Gary
16/02/2002, 11:05 PM
Well heres my team for the game. Not quite my favourite, but after the last few weeks 'performances', its probably nearly accurate

Devine
Daly.............Napier............Coughlan....... Hoggy
Colin O B.....Grady................Bennet........Cahill
Hartigan..Morley

City to win, although i'll not give a scoreline.

Are there many travelling???

anti-dub.
17/02/2002, 7:34 AM
Not quite sure weather he'll play C.P.O.B. or Noel Hartigan

jbrazil
17/02/2002, 10:45 AM
Cork City travel to Richmond Park on Sunday (2pm) to take on high-flying St. Patrick's Athletic. City will be looking to put a halt to their disasterous run of form, and a victory will see them draw level on points with Pat's in third place.

Liam Murphy's men will also be looking to do the treble over their Dublin rivals. Ollie Cahill scored a hat-trick as City won 3-1 at Richmond back in September, and Pat's were beaten 2-1 at Turner's Cross in November.

The main team news for the Leesiders for Sunday's game is that right-back Alan Carey is still out with an ankle injury, while Conor O'Grady is back from suspension. Paul Osam is doubtful for St Pat's.

Neil
17/02/2002, 11:06 AM
St. Patrick’s Athletic skipper Trevor Croly has warned his team-mates: Underestimate Cork at your peril. The Leesiders are coming off the back of a morale-sapping eircom League Cup defeat against First Division minnows Limerick. But Croly is under no illusions about the size of the task his side face at Richmond Park.

The Leesiders are looking to complete a hat-trick of league wins against the Inchicore club who are still in title contention. An Ollie Cahill treble earned Cork victory on their last visit to Richmond Park and Croly told Sports.com: “On their day, Cork are a match for any side. Their recent results have been poor, to say the least.

“They will be like wounded tigers. Their pride has been hurt, especially after losing against Limerick. There is no denying they are on a bad run, but it is not just a matter of turning up at Richmond Park to collect the points.

“The last time they were in Inchicore they were also in crisis and came away with all three points.

“They still have a chance of qualifying for Europe, so they still have something to play for.”

Liam Kelly is available for selection again after a long lay-off with an ankle injury, but there are doubts over Paul Osam (groin) and Martin Russell, who is suffering from a viral complaint.

Cork boss Liam Murphy has promised to make changes after going down 1-0 against Limerick at Turner’s Cross last Sunday.

Alan Carey is ruled out after suffering the recurrence of an ankle injury, but Conor O’Grady returns after a ban and Colin O’Brien and Greg O’Halloran, who were cup-tied against Limerick, are available for selection again.

Anthony Buckley is also added to the squad after shaking off an ankle complaint.

Murphy has demanded an immediate improvement.

“We must win,” Murphy told Sports.com. “We have made it difficult for ourselves, but I won’t tolerate another below-par display. We owe it to ourselves and our fans to play better.”

<sports.com>

Neil
17/02/2002, 1:08 PM
1-0 City

Colin P from a Bucks corner.

Neil
17/02/2002, 1:12 PM
Devine;
Daly, Coughlan, Napier, Horgan;
Buckley, O’Grady, Bennett, Cahill;
CP O’Brien, Morley.

Neil
17/02/2002, 1:18 PM
Colin T O'Brien on for Bennett

Neil
17/02/2002, 1:35 PM
1-1 Another corner.

Neil
17/02/2002, 2:15 PM
2-1 O'Grady

Conor O’Grady has restored City’s lead on 53 minutes with a stunning goal. Pat Morley and Ollie Cahill combined to work the ball back to O’Grady some 25 yards from goal and he beat Shay Kelly with a thumping low shot.

James
17/02/2002, 2:19 PM
magic magic magic

and i think i predicted 2-1 also

haahahahahahahahahahaha

no i gota try my luck on the city lotto ..the obvious next step here :D

cone on city hold out..
DEFENSE DEFENSE etcetc

Neil
17/02/2002, 2:34 PM
2-2

Hanlon gave a free kick that never was and they scored. Apparently Dicko is having his usual stinker.

James
17/02/2002, 2:37 PM
******..come on city .......
:mad: :mad:

same old hanlon ..always cheating

mouldymurphy
17/02/2002, 2:58 PM
3 2 pats 90 min

James
17/02/2002, 3:02 PM
ah well suppose twas too much to hope for that they would hold out...

3-2 final score...last minute winner from ger mc carthy for pats

Neil
17/02/2002, 3:29 PM
St Patricks Ath 3-2 Cork City

PAT Dolan's Supersaints came back from the dead to snatch victory in the final moments of a pulsating encounter at Richmond Park - and leave Cork's flagging title hopes in tatters.

Cork looked to be on their way to a precious victory in Inchicore until Pat's scored twice in a thrilling finale to take the three points.

Ger McCarthy had been quiet all afternoon before he popped up to hit the winner for the home side - McCarthy latched onto the loose ball after Martin Russell's free-kick wasn't cleared from the danger area, and Cork were severely punished.

Earlier Michael Holt had scored to make it 2-2 with his first touch after coming on as a substitute for the home side, knocking the ball home from five yards.

That set up an exciting finale as Cork tried to hold on, throwing men behind the ball - but to no avail in the end, and their poor recent run continues after last week's shock League Cup defeat to Limerick FC.

Cork took the lead in the first-half through Colin Pat O'Brien but Robbie Griffin levelled things up for the home side with a header, before the Leesiders gained the advantage again through Conor O'Grady, who was back in the starting line-up for the visitors.

The result gives Pat's a fillip ahead of Monday afternoon's High Court judgement relating to the nine points that were awarded to them by the arbitrator Liam Reidy over the Marney registration affair.

James
17/02/2002, 3:32 PM
Originally posted by Neil
St Patricks Ath 3-2 Cork City

and leave Cork's flagging title hopes in tatters.

what we had title hopes ??? going into this game ...hmm
its that damn parallel universe again..where city are a top quality side...grrrrrr

Peadar
17/02/2002, 4:12 PM
We were robbed. We deserved something. Pats lived up to their name as "Set Piece Ath". Some stupid decisions made by all 3 officials against both teams. Colin O'Brien did well when he came on for Bennett who suffered a facial injury after a clash with Deccie. Ollie Cahill was on fire and we created a few good chances. O'Grady took his goal very well with a strike from distance. He should have had another late in the second half when he struck wide with almost an open goal to aim at.
The centre halfs were Deccie and Derek with Hoggie on the left and Napier on the right. Hoggie worked his socks off again. Paul Osam is a machine and it's never going to be easy to beat a team with him in it. We picked up a few more stupid yellow cards today from a bad referee. I didn't see one nasty tackle in the game. We played some good football today and kept the ball on the ground most of the time.

James
17/02/2002, 4:29 PM
cheers peadar..good report thanks..

Gary
17/02/2002, 8:02 PM
Dunno were we robbed , i thought we sat back a bit too much after we took the lead for a second time. Hanlon was WOEFUL. Are Pats paying him or what? Having said that, I thought we were beaten by the better team, although we probably did deserve a point. I thought CPOB had a blinder, as did Ollie.

Saw Alan Bennet afetre the game and he had some shiner on him. But i spose not many people come out of a clash of heads with Daly without being heavily wounded! that said Deccie was off the pitch for a good 5-6 mins, so bennet almost gave as good as he got.

Shels next week?

Snatch
18/02/2002, 12:15 AM
Great to see CP back on the score sheet. Also good to see that the old Colin O'Brien is back, how did he play?

Hanlon was up to old tricks again I see. :mad:

patsh
18/02/2002, 7:09 AM
From what I saw on the TV, it seemed like City put in a decent performance. How badly hurt is Bennett?
When talking about the match next week against $hels, Brian Kerr mentioned that "City's home form has not been great"........
and they do put in their best performances away from home....
Maybe LM is right....the home crowd are getting to the team ??......... :confused:

citylove
18/02/2002, 8:15 AM
It was a great game to watch and I think City must feel hard done by. Eventhough Pats were probably the better team it was hearbreaking to see them score the way they did. At 2-2 I think City were holding on, Pats had many chances before they scored the all important goal.

We will have to get behind the lads next Sunday, it would be great to beat Shels. Come on CITY.

dalo
18/02/2002, 9:03 AM
cp o'brien was caught offside at least 6 times giving pat's the opputurity to build up from the back and putting us under pressure.

cp o'brien while he scored a good goal does lack a lot of physical strength. this was evident in a few one to one situations. hopefully though he will work on this aspect of his game.

some of the city players while giving their all are simply not up to it really. bucks had another brainless game while colin o'brien had a pretty poor game. i did think skippy looked very good though hopefully deccie for his own sake will call it a day.

hayser
18/02/2002, 9:34 AM
we deserved to win yesterday- we were robbed in the x in november...ok maybe not!

dalo
18/02/2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by hayser
we deserved to win yesterday- we were robbed in the x in november...ok maybe not!

i think city threw this away and have no-one to blame but themselves. some of our defending was dire and when we attempted to pass the ball in midfield we looked poor at times.

only grady and ollie (again) played well in the centre of the park.

pete
18/02/2002, 10:14 AM
Set Piece Athletic indeed. :(

I thought first half was a poor 45mins although both golas well taken. Good to see Colin P get another goal at last as when he gets chances inside the box he'll score a few. I think Pats had most of possession throughout the game but city did battle well.

Great to see Conor get a fine goal & he was unlucky that poor surface prevented him from controlling the ball with his first touch with the Pats keeper stranded later. The fact he came out well in the battle with Osam shows how important he was for city.

Game turned on Pats second goal. Not so sure if even was a freekick due to extravagant dive by pats player to make the most of it. What I object to was O'Hanlon game Derek a long talking to but allowed the freekick to be taken when Derek was barely back to defend. Derek was trying to mark Osam & it was his dummy that created the goal.

City played well for stages of yesterdays game but for most the game relied on grit rather than skill. Horgan had a brilliant game & never let Livingstone past him (no mean feat) & disposessed him many times. It was beyond me Dolan left livingstone out on the pats right & once he moved hi to more central position he caused Deccie & Derek more trouble.

Irrespective of O'Hanlons history he had a terrible game yesterday booking players on a whim & to see the way he talked (more like shouted) down to Colin o'Brien after a normal foul shoed the complete lack of professionalism in the man - a disgrace!

Even allowed for the fact it was Colin O'briens first game back i thought he had a poor enough game although not so bad going forward as defending. Skippy had a very good game, always keeping posession & passing to a city player - hoefully Colin P can learn from a master.

dalo
18/02/2002, 10:25 AM
hanlon was very poor alright. i don't know how many players he booked but a few of the them had to more to do with mouthing off than anything else, in which case the players should keep it shut. look at deccie as a master of the sneaky tackle but who always keeps very disciplined when dealing with ref :D

as for pat yeah he looked very good. Shame he isn't ten years younger and a few stone lighter :D

Peadar
18/02/2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by dalo
i don't know how many players he booked but a few of the them had to more to do with mouthing off than anything else, in which case the players should keep it shut.

I have to disagree.
O'Grady was booked for jumping against a Pat's player for a high ball and knocking him over. With his eye on the ball, Conor didn't make contact with the shoulder but more like the back. It was a free kick but that's it. I don't know how the players don't lose the cool with an ignorant man like O'Hanlon shouting at them while pointing his finger at them. A player who puts his hand on his opponents back as he jumps for a ball doesn't need to be shouted at like a rookie in boot camp. He left Pat's away with a lot and picked up on the smallest thing with us. Everybody knows that Set Piece Ath love to win frees around the edge of the box and referees should be aware of diving.

dalo
18/02/2002, 11:04 AM
fair comments peader but still doesn't excuse bad defending from cork. we aren't much good at set pieces (defending or attacking) ourselves which is a pity.

actually cork are very poor in their delivery of corners and free's especially the direct kicks outside the 18 yard box.

do we actually practice any set pieces at training. more often that that it looks hit and hope for the best. this is a shame as in conor, ollie and horgan and mulligan we have some sweet deadball strikers. let derek stay back where he bleongs

pete
18/02/2002, 11:38 AM
I admire Colin O'Briens (the original) restraint. Could see Dick shouting & pointing at him for must have been a minute. I don't remember the foul but i'm sure wasn't dirty. Whatever happened to your getting a yellow & thats the end of?

I was never a big O'Hanlon conspiracy fan but he yesterday really p***ed me off. Usually you'd think when theres five goals the ref let thing flow but that was not the case yesterday & 3 goals froms set pieces tells it all.

BTW i wouldn't even listen to Brian Keers comments on anyting anymore. Past had a lot more of the ball yesterday & probably shaded the win but the man is complete;ly biased towards Pats as seen in his previous performances & he also shows a strong inside the Pale bias!

:(

niamh
18/02/2002, 11:47 AM
O'Grady's goal, both the set up and execution, was class. It looked very well on television. Considering last week's result, I don't think many of us expected City to put it up to Pat's.

I wasn't at the game but from talking to various people and reading stuff here it appears we should have got something from the match though.

dalo
18/02/2002, 12:25 PM
i was pretty disapointed at the number of ccfc fans at it. apart from the usual coach load from cork i expected a few more from within dubland.

to be honest i felt very lonely surrounded by pat's fans (ahhh). i got a terrible slagging from them (all good natured). the girlfriend was a bit ****ed off as well. to this day she is mystified why I get so worked up about cork city and the matches :rolleyes:

what did impress me was the club's professionalism on and off the pitch. they leave us standing

Peadar
18/02/2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by niamh
I wasn't at the game but from talking to various people and reading stuff here it appears we should have got something from the match though.

The highlights on RTÉ didn't show much of us when we were making runs the lenght of the pitch through Hoggie and Ollie and then whipping in crosses to P. or CP.
We ended the second half strongest but the highlights didn't give that impression. Brian Kerr is good when he's talking about the League of Ireland v everyone else kind of stuff but he's a Pat's man and never tries to hide that. His bias is perfectly natural therefore it's a mistake for RTÉ to have him doing the analysis of Pats games. If we can beat Shels next week we'll at least contribute to another exciting climax to the league.

dalo
18/02/2002, 12:45 PM
the highlights were totally unrepresentive of the game. looking at the highlights you think pat's were swamping us which was far from the case.

cork's failure to make good use of their possession was very dispiriting.

pete
18/02/2002, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by dalo
what did impress me was the club's professionalism on and off the pitch. they leave us standing

Good one. You got to be joking? :eek:

For all Pat Dolans talk about a 3 million pound stand at the Inchicore end Richmond Park is a poor ground & hasn't progressed much in last 4-5 years. Can see the true reality of its state in daylight. Stewarding was none existant can't think of anything yesterday that CCFC don't on match day.

dalo
18/02/2002, 1:28 PM
to be honest i think most grounds in the national league are pretty poor. the only real excepations are shels, longford and city by a long shot.

any time i have been to see pat's play (and not always against city) i always see the fans are always 100% behind the team even when things may not be going right. they have unlike cork a really postive vibe about them and even the match programme takes care to inform the supporters what is going on at every level of the club.

even dolan's programme notes yesterday were incredibly erudite and insightful. his ideas on televising national league football were excellant.

pat's also excellantly tap into the locality very well drawing into the southside area and creating a real homepride in richmond park. st pat's or the supersaints as they celverly style themselves have that hometown pride that city should but don't have.

Peadar
18/02/2002, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Saw Alan Bennet afetre the game and he had some shiner on him.

You sure it wasn't Damien O'Rourke you saw?
Alan Bennett left the ground with his parents to go to the hospital. O'Rourke was on the bench and had a bit or a shiner.

mouldymurphy
18/02/2002, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

Maybe LM is right....the home crowd are getting to the team ??......... :confused:
wont have to worry bout that next sunday at home id say they would be lucky to get400/500 for the game

patsh
18/02/2002, 3:53 PM
Originally posted by mouldymurphy

wont have to worry bout that next sunday at home id say they would be lucky to get 400/500 for the game
I would expect more than that will come to see a game involving the league's 1st versus 4th. Unless Money Utd are on the box... :(
No matter what one think's of LM or the way the season has gone, if this fixture cannot attract
at least 1,000 punters, then the club is in deep sh*t..... :mad:

Gary
18/02/2002, 5:38 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
You sure it wasn't Damien O'Rourke you saw?
Alan Bennett left the ground with his parents to go to the hospital. O'Rourke was on the bench and had a bit or a shiner.

ya twas Bennet alright, as he had a big plaster over his eye. I asked, aere you alright Alan, he turned and said yeah, cheers.

Troy.McClure
18/02/2002, 5:40 PM
I honestly dont think that I have ever seen a ref as bad a Hanlon yesterday! How he could wave on a Pats tackle on a City player and book a City player moments later, for a similar or even lighter tackle is mind boggeling :confused: Skippy was booked for a 2 footed tackle that was a long way off from making contact to the Pats player & had no intent in it. He had an absolute stinker of a game. How many Pats players did he book? Any at all?

Brian Kerr being objective about that game was like Osama Bin Lada singing 'Star Spangled Banner' in his shower in the caves! Complete & utter cr@p!

IMO Ollie had an absolute stinker and did feck all except lay the ball off to O'Grady for his goal. Hoggie was our only threat on the left.

Who was our reserve keeper? I think that I saw Mooney pull up with what looked like a groin(?) muscle strain at the half time warm up in Brey.

Gary
18/02/2002, 5:50 PM
Mark (?) McNulty is the reserve keeper. We got him recently from Ramblers.
To my knowledge Mooney is injured again for the season.

Troy.McClure
18/02/2002, 7:22 PM
Bugger :( How unlucky is that guy?

Citygirl
18/02/2002, 8:36 PM
Originally posted by GWA

To my knowledge Mooney is injured again for the season.

Yeah he broke his toe a couple of weeks ago...

Peadar
19/02/2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by GWA
ya twas Bennet alright, as he had a big plaster over his eye.

I wasn't having a go at you about this GWA, I just wasn't sure how you saw the shiner when it was covered and since O'Rourke had a shiner too I was just checking. We'll have a real mean look about the team for the Shels game.
:mad: :D

Gary
19/02/2002, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by Peadar

I wasn't having a go at you about this GWA,

Now theres a shocker!!!

I know you werent :)

Éanna
19/02/2002, 3:51 PM
saw goals on the telly over here and our defence was AWFUL. grady should shoot from distance more though!

Xlex
20/02/2002, 8:29 AM
Needed the LTFC three there?? Last Pats V's CCFC at Richer was 3-0 and OC helped himself to a Hat-trick.........

The last OC 3 at Richer :(

dalo
20/02/2002, 9:59 AM
hate to nit pick but it was 3-1 not 3-0 :cool:

Troy.McClure
20/02/2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
saw goals on the telly over here and our defence was AWFUL. grady should shoot from distance more though!

How the hell did you manage that?