PDA

View Full Version : Best midfielder in the league?

aido_b
27/03/2005, 11:49 PM
For me consectutivly over the last few seasons was Kevin Hunt, anyone else agree?

adamcarr
28/03/2005, 12:03 AM
For me consectutivly over the last few seasons was Kevin Hunt, anyone else agree?
Id say its between him a Stuart Byrne! Althogh Cork City George O' Callaghan and Joe Gamble wouldnt be far behind!

aido_b
28/03/2005, 12:07 AM
Personally I think Stuart Byrne is vastly overated, good call on George O Callaghan though. I suppose in his Pats heyday Eddie Gormley comes to mind also ...

A face
28/03/2005, 12:18 AM
I suppose it would have to be Kevin Hunt .... give it another 1-2 seasons and Gamble will definitely be in the running but right now it is Hunt.

Gareth
28/03/2005, 1:39 AM
Well I watch Stuey Byrne every week and I dont think he is overrated.He scores vital goals for shels and he is a solid enough midfielder who goes about his job. He is a very good asset to shels in my eyes and personally if he played for another team I would love him to bein the squad of player for the team i support. Plus hes a sound guy!!!!

Hunt is also class!! O'Callaghan I haven't seen enough of persoanlly to have an opinion.

As an extension to this, what is the best midflielder you seen. I personally loved Gary Howlitt for shels. He was the most skillful midfielder I seen. Tony Sheridan would of rated only he didnt last long enough. Paul Doolin and Pat Fenlon stand out to me too but then again i am a shels fan.....

Slash/ED
28/03/2005, 2:16 AM
Stuart Byrne is the most complete mid fielder in the league. Hunt was the best but hasn't been at his best over the past couple of seasons imo, he's still class, but Stuart Byrne is the best of the lot atm. No other mid fielder in the league would have been capable of outplaying Valeron in a champions league match.

thecorner
28/03/2005, 8:10 AM
hunt definitly but gamble wont be too long taking over...if u ever speak to him , he has the ambititon to be on the of the greats of the eircom league

centre mid
28/03/2005, 8:52 AM
I suppose in his Pats heyday Eddie Gormley comes to mind also ...

Not in his Bray days, how many wasted free kicks -

Hunt is the obvious choice for me - always liked Paul Osam aswell

De Town
28/03/2005, 10:27 AM
Definately Stuie Byrne. What a class player :) We here at Longford thought him all he knows ;) shut up home farm fans :D

Hunt is pure class aswell and every time I see O'Callaghan he's brilliant too.

On a side note, for all you langers down in Cork, In the LTFC programme against Waterford, Alan Kirby said that O'Callaghan and John O'Flynn were 2 of the players he most respects along with Wes Houlihan and Bobby Ryan.

Éanna
28/03/2005, 12:32 PM
Hunt just about shades it over Stewie Byrne over the last few years. Osam was still up there until the last year or two. Gamble IMO is a better player than all of them and is gonna be a big star, while Georgie is getting better and better in midfield as well. Gareth Farelly is gonna be a star too.

SÓC
28/03/2005, 1:02 PM
Stewie Byrne alright.

Most people know about O'Callaghan, for fans of other teams keep an eye on Joe Gamble this season.

Ratnolds is great at what he does in the Robbie Savage mould

De Town
28/03/2005, 1:04 PM
Most people know about O'Callaghan, for fans of other teams keep an eye on Joe Gamble this season.
Will get my first proper look at him on Thursday :)

fitzknows
28/03/2005, 5:28 PM
Keith Fahy for Pats is as good on the ball as any midfielder I've seen in the league. Excellent distribution from open play and dead ball situations and will only get better as he gets older.

ThatGuy
28/03/2005, 7:29 PM
Stuart Byrne is the most complete mid fielder in the league. Hunt was the best but hasn't been at his best over the past couple of seasons imo, he's still class, but Stuart Byrne is the best of the lot atm. No other mid fielder in the league would have been capable of outplaying Valeron in a champions league match.
In fairness the way Hunt dominated the midfield against a Kaiserslautern side which included a world cup winner I think that your statement is doubtable. However, I agree about Byrne being a great player.

De Town
28/03/2005, 8:23 PM
Right cork lads, after watchin ye tonight, I wasnt impressed by Gamble at all. O'Callaghan is pure class though.

eirebhoy
28/03/2005, 9:09 PM
Right cork lads, after watchin ye tonight, I wasnt impressed by Gamble at all. O'Callaghan is pure class though.
I would find it hard to give O'Callaghan any praise tonight after his Rivaldo.

De Town
28/03/2005, 9:32 PM
I would find it hard to give O'Callaghan any praise tonight after his Rivaldo.
I know, that was disgraceful but take that out and he was brilliant.

skitz3
29/03/2005, 1:57 PM
Personally I think Stuart Byrne is vastly overated, good call on George O Callaghan though. I suppose in his Pats heyday Eddie Gormley comes to mind also ...

Typical bohs fan. Thinking of nobody but themselves. I agree Hunt is a good player but to make a statement the Steuy Byrne is overrated is the voice of prejudice rather than footballing reason.

aido_b
29/03/2005, 1:59 PM
Apologies for my above comments, I just hate the bloke!

Hibs4Ever
29/03/2005, 2:00 PM
Keith Fahey. No doubt about it

adamcarr
29/03/2005, 2:09 PM
:confused:
Gamble played very well last night??

De Town
29/03/2005, 2:12 PM
Well, dont get me wrong, he wasnt crap or anything but he didnt stand out IMO. I will give you another opinion on Thursday night ;)

skitz3
29/03/2005, 2:19 PM
Gamble is a good player but no where near G O'C when he not diving to the ground like he's been shot.

Éanna
29/03/2005, 8:48 PM
Gamble is a good player but no where near G O'C when he not diving to the ground like he's been shot.
they're different- gamble keeps it very simple and does all the basic stuff. very like claude makelele- might not look like a superstar but he keeps things ticking over

Troy.McClure
29/03/2005, 9:42 PM
Probably the best so far this season has been Richie 'the rejected yank' Baker. Always a class act and is on fire at the moment although he didnt have much of an oppertunity against City last night. Hunt is the most consistant, Gamble will be the best, George is the most talented: Football, Acting and Diving :D

Bluebeard
30/03/2005, 1:34 PM
Basing it on the past three seasons, Hunt, followed by Stu Byrne and then possibly Rennie or George O'Callaghan (before the screaming commences, remember it includes the season he was playing with in Cork, and, God forgive him, with Rovers; besides, it's a different kind of game)

Of the current "young" guns, Gamble has a very bright future, but Gareth Farrelly really seems the genuine article. Stephen Bradley at Harps might be a big hit if he gets his game properly together.

Slash/ED
30/03/2005, 2:38 PM
In fairness the way Hunt dominated the midfield against a Kaiserslautern side which included a world cup winner I think that your statement is doubtable. However, I agree about Byrne being a great player.

Well the thing with Hunt is I don't think he's quite playing at his best and hasn't for the past season or so, while he's still been class he's not been at his dominant best imo.

ciaran76
30/03/2005, 2:43 PM
[QUOTE=Bluebeard]Basing it on the past three seasons, Hunt, QUOTE]

Totally agree he stands heads and shoulders above the rest in my opinion. Last season he had a few niggly injuries so i think last season he wasn't as impressive as normal.When he gets his fitness back he will be again the best midfielder in the EL. ;)

BohDiddley
30/03/2005, 3:09 PM
:D :D Clearly, a thread for connoisseurs! :D :D