PDA

View Full Version : Group 4 spreadsheet

tetsujin1979
27/03/2005, 2:33 PM
Updated with last night's results, and fixed a minor bug that caused the goal difference to be calculated incorrectly

http://members.boards.ie/tetsujin1979/Group%204.zip

I hadn't realised France hadn't scored at home yet, although they also haven't conceded at home.

Ran through it a few times, the big dates are the 3rd and 7th Sep when the top 4 play each other.

I still feel we have a great chance of finishing in the top two in the group, France have the harder run in, having to come here and go to Basle.

thejollyrodger
27/03/2005, 3:11 PM
In fairness the israelis must be fancying themselves for a win or draw against the french. they drew 0-0 in paris and france dont look good at all. I can definltely see another 0-0 draw or 1-1.

FarBeag
27/03/2005, 4:44 PM
The Israelies are in such high spirits at the moment,they think they can win the Group and they may not be too far off here.

4tothefloor
27/03/2005, 11:24 PM
The Israelies are in such high spirits at the moment,they think they can win the Group and they may not be too far off here.

What? They'll finish fourth cos they're useless. Even if they beat the French on wednesday, I still wouldn't fancy them to even qualify.

Colbert Report
27/03/2005, 11:36 PM
I'd have to agree. Israel will be destroyed when we play them on a real pitch in Dublin.

beautifulrock
28/03/2005, 1:00 AM
Israel are poor, i can't believe we drew with them. Anyway good spreadsheet, I have managed to concoct a series of results that puts us top. I can go to sleep now :)

eirebhoy
28/03/2005, 9:56 AM
Israel are poor, i can't believe we drew with them. Anyway good spreadsheet, I have managed to concoct a series of results that puts us top. I can go to sleep now :)
A win against Israel home, Faroes away, Cyprus away and 1 win and 1 draw against Swiss/France and we will win the group. Can't see us failing to beat both the French and Swiss at home so if we don't win the group it will be down to slip ups away against the minnows imo.

boysingreen
28/03/2005, 10:39 AM
A win against Israel home, Faroes away, Cyprus away and 1 win and 1 draw against Swiss/France and we will win the group.

Sounds about right. Trying to avoid racking my head, so I'll ask incase someone's already gone there. To be sure.. if this were to occur, no matter what else happened, we're ensured top spot?

tetsujin1979
28/03/2005, 1:34 PM
I've gone through it a few times, it looks like it's going to be ourselves and the Swiss in the top 2, France have the hardest run in, 3 tough away games, and only Cyprus and the Faroes at home - a mirror image of our own run in - whereas the Swiss's only remaining tough game is in Dublin. Israel have to go to Basel and come here.

like a badger
28/03/2005, 4:25 PM
Domenech is an idiot, it's either us or the Swiss who will top the group, it really is only ours to lose at this stage with the home games we have left.

Irish_Praha
28/03/2005, 5:54 PM
I know I should be only talking about winning the group but im not full of confidence after Saturday's game that we can win 2 and draw one of the 3 home games. Say we win against Cyprus and the Faroes what combination will still give us a playoff spot? (I hate the playoffs :mad: )
I suppose it's probably better to wait until after wednesday's games.

dancinpants
28/03/2005, 6:36 PM
We're gonna top the group, even with a home draw against France. Reckon we will win the other remaining games including the Swiss and the Israelis at home. France and Switzerland will draw in Basle, and their match on Wednesday against Israel will also be a banker draw. ;)

4tothefloor
28/03/2005, 6:50 PM
I think France will beat Switzerland in Switzerland. The Swiss aren't great, and if the French really need a result in Basle, which they probably will, I think they will get it. I think we'll beat the Israelies, Faroes, draw with the French, beat Cyprus away, and then it's down to what we need to do against the Swiss at home. We might only need a point, might have to win. I still think ourselves and France will be the top two, with the Swiss third and Israel a deserved fourth.

The key for me is the French game. If we can win that after taking 6 points from the summer games, I think we'll win the group.

tricky_colour
28/03/2005, 6:52 PM
Sounds about right. Trying to avoid racking my head, so I'll ask incase someone's already gone there. To be sure.. if this were to occur, no matter what else happened, we're ensured top spot?

To ensure we top the group I think we would have to win all out matches
as another team might win all their matches. In the event of a draw
it will come down to goal difference or goals scored or something like that.

Fergie's Son
28/03/2005, 8:15 PM
I'm terrified of going to Cyprus and the Faroe Islands! We don't exactly light it up when we travel. We dropped 2 huge points in Israel and it will come back to haunt us.

France will beat Israel on Wednesday night.

Irish_Praha
28/03/2005, 10:35 PM
I can see this happening:

Ireland, France, Swiss, Israel all win their remaining games against Faroes and Cyprus

Ireland beat Israel and draw with both Swiss and France

France beat Isreal and draw against both Ireland and Swiss

Swiss beat Isreal and draw against both Ireland and France

Ireland, France and Switzerland all finish the group on 20 points

We all have the same head-to-head results so the swiss come first on goals scored and Ireland come second and play Czech Republic in the playoffs :eek: :p

Stuttgart88
29/03/2005, 3:46 PM
Probably the simplest way of looking at it is as follows:

Assume Ireland, France & Switzerland all get 4 points from Israel and 6 from Cyprus & Faroes.

It'll all then depend on the outcome of the Ireland-France-Switzerland mini-league.

We've all played each other once and have to play each other once more.

Two wins guarantees first place.

One win and one draw guarantees second, possibly first depending on the away goals in the head-to-heads.

Two draws would guarantee us second in the event of an outright winner in Switzerland vs France. If France & Switzerland draw again three teams tie on 20 points, as Irish Praha points out.

In this case it gets a little complicated! I'm assuming a winner can be determined if one team beats the other two on away goals (say France draw 1-1 twice, they go though. If we're 0-0 at home to Swiss we're second, 2-2 we're out, 1-1 it goes to GD?).

Of course if anybody slips up in achieving the 4 points against Israel & the full six from the minnows, then those points must be made up in the mini-league.

Make sense? :)

OwlsFan
29/03/2005, 3:55 PM
I'd have to agree. Israel will be destroyed when we play them on a real pitch in Dublin.

Like we destroyed the Faroes in Dublin!? I don't think we'll destroy anyone. It will be a tough game without the presence of Saipan in midfield. The French didn't destroy them in Paris.

The 3 remaining home games will be very tough and yes, it will probably come down to the last game against the Swiss. Will it be another Holland 1-0 or a Basel type disaster? As usual, I'll hope for the former and fear for the latter.

Erez-Israel
29/03/2005, 3:56 PM
In Dublin or in Switzerland we dont have any chance , maybe one point
the third place in this group will be o.k for us

Ireland , France and Switzerland are better from us
even Cyprus almost beated us.

tall chapy
31/03/2005, 10:50 PM
No matter what happens, if we win all our remaining games we will top the group....So it is in our own hands, slippery as they may be.

Easier said than done !!!!

mypost
01/04/2005, 5:15 AM
Probably the simplest way of looking at it is as follows:

Assume Ireland, France & Switzerland all get 4 points from Israel and 6 from Cyprus & Faroes.

It'll all then depend on the outcome of the Ireland-France-Switzerland mini-league.

We've all played each other once and have to play each other once more.

Two wins guarantees first place.

One win and one draw guarantees second, possibly first depending on the away goals in the head-to-heads.

Two draws would guarantee us second in the event of an outright winner in Switzerland vs France. If France & Switzerland draw again three teams tie on 20 points, as Irish Praha points out.

In this case it gets a little complicated! I'm assuming a winner can be determined if one team beats the other two on away goals (say France draw 1-1 twice, they go though. If we're 0-0 at home to Swiss we're second, 2-2 we're out, 1-1 it goes to GD?).

Of course if anybody slips up in achieving the 4 points against Israel & the full six from the minnows, then those points must be made up in the mini-league.

Make sense? :)

After a while. :D

Maybe nobody wants to win the group, and are depending on other teams slipping up!

If we all end up on the same points, maybe FIFA will have to draw lots, to see who progresses. :D

Schumi
01/04/2005, 12:13 PM
No matter what happens, if we win all our remaining games we will top the group.
A draw against France will be enough if we win the rest.