PDA

View Full Version : Issue #1 - Feedback

The Donie Forde
27/03/2005, 12:30 PM
Lads & lassies, we'd be interested in people's impressions of the new-look City Edition, beyond the Lennox and Richardson notes which have already been covered in other threads.

Genuine feedback invited.

Also, a question for (the majority of) people who usually never buy the programme: why don't you? It's basically a magazine about your favourite football club...maybe you should try it some time.

Would also appreciate if replies stated whether you have actually seen the programme or not ;) ...or if you buy/don't buy or intend to give it a bash...

Thanks!

Donie

dahamsta
27/03/2005, 12:48 PM
Also, a question for (the majority of) people who usually never buy the programme: why don't you? It's basically a magazine about your favourite football club...maybe you should try it some time.If it's not ok for others to pimp around here, what makes you think it's ok for you? Stick to facts when making programme/zine posts please, zine and programme posts are already on thin ice around here.

adam

colblimp
27/03/2005, 1:16 PM
I buy a programme from every match I go to anyway.

I preferred last seasons City Edition, there was better content in it. The latest issue had, really, only 4 articles in it. The rest was news like community, family enclosure and commercial items. I missed Dan Murrays article.

There are far too many adverts in the programme. I know that's how you make money, but please! Out of 52 pages there were 16 pages of adverts.

The article in Irish was, IMO, completely pointless. What was it about and why in Irish? :confused:

Why no player profiles for Bray?

On a more positive note, I liked the picture on the back cover and the 'crossing the border' article was good.

I may get slagged for this reply but I think it's constructive criticism, sorry if I've offended anybody :)

Éanna
27/03/2005, 1:20 PM
I thought it was a good read, Rico's notes were a bit confusing, maybe supply dictionaries at the programme hut? :D Could have done with one or two more articles alright, but not a bad read at all

niamh
27/03/2005, 2:13 PM
I always buy the programme when I manage to make it to home games. It is easily the best in the league but I think player interviews are the way to go tbh. I would rather read about a current player or opponent than anything else though some of the "looking back at" pieces are very good.

A face
27/03/2005, 2:58 PM
I always try and get the programme.

The back cover is great ... the front cover, while good to have a change is not an improvement on last year, when i read other programmes, the cover always jumps out at you like a billboard, ads scattered all over it. In last years, they were more subtle and not as in-your-face. I suppose it is just because the two games are on this one, and the Setanta logo etc, The 'City' in City Edition is alot bigger too. I like the jagged graphics though, kinda slick.

The content, I thought it was good, to be honest it seemed like there was more to read in this one, more articles that away fans could read too. To be honest, i think there sohuld be a rule that articles cant go over 1500 words, its not so bad if you are interested in the topic and it is well written but if it is not, then it is just hard work. If it cant be fitted into that then it has the makings of two articles tbh.

The ads .... ratio 16:52 .... it think that is brilliant ..... if its under 20 then that is great to be honest. There is any extra page on last year which can only be good.

The Bray pen-pics .... any clubs in the premier that cant provide pen-pics, should give up to be honest. I dont know if was Brays fault but no excuse for not having them. Or is it just a case that the Shels and Bray pen-pics would have taken up too much room ??

A suggestion ... Bernies piece and Ricos notes, have that text in bold so it is easier to read on the dark background.

But again ..... great effort and a matchday must !!

The Donie Forde
27/03/2005, 5:20 PM
If it's not ok for others to pimp around here, what makes you think it's ok for you? Stick to facts when making programme/zine posts please, zine and programme posts are already on thin ice around here.

adam

I may be a bit slow here, Adam, but like, what's your beef with this post?

I've just asked for feedback; have YOU never done that?
Also, please point out the rule that says posts must fact based?

Confused...

If I'm getting bawled out for this post, I think it's time to say farewell to foot.ie - getting way too KGB round here if that post upsets you, IMHO.

Donie

yan
27/03/2005, 5:30 PM
I may be a bit slow here, Adam, but like, what's your beef with this post?

I've just asked for feedback; have YOU never done that?
Also, please point out the rule that says posts must fact based?

Confused...

If I'm getting bawled out for this post, I think it's time to say farewell to foot.ie - getting way too KGB round here if that post upsets you, IMHO.

Donie

I agree, as much feedback as possible will only benefit City Edition,where best to get it than here where a majority of city supporters gather to share opinions and feedback!

adamd164
27/03/2005, 6:02 PM
AFAIK, this is what adam had a problem with-

Also, a question for (the majority of) people who usually never buy the programme: why don't you? It's basically a magazine about your favourite football club...maybe you should try it some time.

Is that asking opinion? No! It's trying to sell your programme.

The Donie Forde
27/03/2005, 7:14 PM
Is that asking opinion? No! It's trying to sell your programme.

Actually, it's a SUGGESTION. It's fair to question, I think, why something that's considered to be the best in the country by most observers (Cosmo excepted ;) ) still only appeals to the minority of CCFC fans. Is that a problem post? Honestly?

Look, if I'd been on here trumpeting City Edition from the heights ad nauseam (which I haven't been, to be fair, ever) then I could take Adam's response. But, hey, just a LITTLE leeway goes a long way.

We've run a VERY favourable (unsolicited, granted) feature on foot.ie in the programme in the past - the above is hardly a generous response to that.

I feel - and I'm probably one of the older/maturer posters on here - that things could do with just a little chilling out on these boards...just a little. It's all getting very uptight, very uptight.

If my original post, in the light of this explanation, is still a bother to this board's admin, then I'm outta here...let me know if it is.

Thanks,

Donie

adamd164
27/03/2005, 7:45 PM
Fair enough. Personally I buy the programme and think it's very good, especially when compared to some of the sh*t at other clubs!

James
28/03/2005, 7:44 AM
well donie, i think the ads/pages ratio was v good

i for one enjoyed ricos ostentatious ramblings, the elements of grandiose within can only benefit this football club when surfing on the South Atlantic.
overall though i think there was a decline when compared to last seasons effort.

I for one dont enjoy any of the lookback at old cork soccer sides articles that seem to proliferate any and all CCFC programs of late. Hibs / Celtic whooever its in the past like, before my time and id say a great many of current city fans. Maybe a lookback articles (if thats what ye seem intent on) but say going back say 5 or 6 years not 30 or 40!

Agree with Niamh the player interview is the way to go obviously though only if ye can get them.

On a side note.. who over is sending death threats to Brian Lennox is pure scum and is not worthy of supporting such a great football club. :mad:

Fair_play_boy
28/03/2005, 11:59 AM
Three comments:
1. Standard is consistently high. Glad to see that somebody associated with its production posts on foot.ie
2. Would like if one of the pages was not glossy, so that autographs would be easier to write.
3. The player stats (who played last season in what game) was a huge piece of work and was worth the price alone.
Two suggestions:
1. The issues should be numbered, and a draw at half time with the winner getting a ticket for the next home game. Maybe the winner will bring a buddy to the next game and achieve a convert to the cause.
2. A letters page for supporters, with a max of 75 words per letter. I would like to read other supporters' opinions on match night.

dahamsta
28/03/2005, 12:06 PM
Actually, it's a SUGGESTION.No, it's encouraging people to buy a commercial product, which is the same as "trying to sell", which is against the rules. The request for feedback I'll tolerate, advertising and marketing I won't. I don't care how long you've been on Foot.ie, if you want to pimp your ride, you have to ask permission like everyone else.

The threat to leave and the comparison to the KGB affected me deeply btw, I went behind my sofa and cried for hours. :rolleyes:

adam

The Donie Forde
28/03/2005, 1:51 PM
No, it's encouraging people to buy a commercial product, which is the same as "trying to sell", which is against the rules. The request for feedback I'll tolerate, advertising and marketing I won't. I don't care how long you've been on Foot.ie, if you want to pimp your ride, you have to ask permission like everyone else.

The threat to leave and the comparison to the KGB affected me deeply btw, I went behind my sofa and cried for hours. :rolleyes:

adam

Well, have it your way, Adam.

I assume you'll be jumping down every other post that doesn't 'stick to facts'?

Adieu, I am off to join the ranks of those who can no longer tolerate the way foot.ie has turned out to be.

I know this is no skin off your nose, but eventually enough people will be leaving here for you to finally get the drift...

Donie

yan
28/03/2005, 3:21 PM

adam

a bit harsh

dahamsta
28/03/2005, 3:31 PM
Well, have it your way, Adam.If you want to call the rules my "way", so be it. The fact remains that advertising and marketing is against the rules, and you broke that rule. The best response would have been an apology and a committment to not to do it again; an acceptable response would have been to just not do it again but say nothing; your response, arguing and threatening not to be part of the "gang" anymore, is just plain childish.

I assume you'll be jumping down every other post that doesn't 'stick to facts'?Correct. The rules are pretty much the same as they've always been around here, and I don't think my implementation of them has changed much over the years either.

Adieu, I am off to join the ranks of those who can no longer tolerate the way foot.ie has turned out to be.Woe is me, oh woe, oh woe. Don't forget to whine about this terrible incursion into your constitutional rights on ccfc.ie now, it's like a rite of passage at this stage. :rolleyes:

I know this is no skin off your nose, but eventually enough people will be leaving here for you to finally get the drift...People come here because the rules are strict and strictly enforced, because they don't have to put up with the garbage that gets posted on other sites where they aren't. The stats (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=22857) beg to differ with your prediction anyway, and until they start dropping off, I'll keep running Foot.ie the way I always have.

See ya,
adam

The Donie Forde
29/03/2005, 12:13 AM
If you want to call the rules my "way", so be it. The fact remains that advertising and marketing is against the rules, and you broke that rule. The best response would have been an apology and a committment to not to do it again; an acceptable response would have been to just not do it again but say nothing; your response, arguing and threatening not to be part of the "gang" anymore, is just plain childish.

Correct. The rules are pretty much the same as they've always been around here, and I don't think my implementation of them has changed much over the years either.

Woe is me, oh woe, oh woe. Don't forget to whine about this terrible incursion into your constitutional rights on ccfc.ie now, it's like a rite of passage at this stage. :rolleyes:

People come here because the rules are strict and strictly enforced, because they don't have to put up with the garbage that gets posted on other sites where they aren't. The stats (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=22857) beg to differ with your prediction anyway, and until they start dropping off, I'll keep running Foot.ie the way I always have.

See ya,
adam

Had not intended to post again here, Adam, but I think it's only fair to point out a few things that you seem intent on misinterprting.

1) I wasn't advertising or marketing, and I didn't post garbage. I asked for feedback, seeking people's opinions. "Maybe you should give it a try" is what I said. Last time I looked, "maybe" was a suggestion as I have pointed out already.
2) I haven't argued and 'threatened not to be part of the gang anymore". I just made a point or two in my defence.
3) I'm glad you cleared up the point that you will be jumping down on posts that are not fact-based. As this rules out practically all opinion only based posts, or humorous or hypothetical posts, I reckon you'll be quite the busy admin from now on. Of course, your failure to do this will only confirm the fact that I have been unfairly treated here.
4) I already post on the official CCFC site, been a member there for a while. Show me a post, any post at all, where I have whined? Not my style, and I won't have it said by you.
5) I've been a frequent poster here, and by and large the rules made this my preferred site. I'm not the only one who thinks the rules are quite ridiculous at times, Adam. In this case, to be fair, I think you've taken my original post up the wrong way. I don't expect you to apologise for that, but it's disappointing that your attitiude towards the loss of long-time posters (not just me) is so couldn't give a toss.
6) Well, anyway, it is your site and you're the king, and we all know those with the gold make the rules.
7) I expect your response will be either to bin/lock this thread or give the usual 'I'm too busy to be getting into this' reply. All so very convenient, isn't it?

Slán agus beannacht,

Donie

pete
29/03/2005, 9:29 AM
I always buy the programme (why nota match day mag anymore?) & rarely buy at away grounds cos they can't compare.

Dodge
29/03/2005, 9:30 AM
Another decent poster bites the dust...

dahamsta
29/03/2005, 10:09 AM
1) I wasn't advertising or marketingYou suggested that people should buy the programme, which directly benefits you; that's marketing in my book. That may not have been your intention, but if there's a fault here it's not misinterpretation on my part, but bad phrasing on your part. If you'd asked people why they don't buy the programme and left it at that, I probably wouldn't have said a word.

2) I haven't argued and 'threatened not to be part of the gang anymore".Your immediate reaction was to take a pedantic, accustatory, offensive tone. I call that arguing. I call "saying farewell to Foot.ie" threatening not to be part of the gang any more.

3) I'm glad you cleared up the point that you will be jumping down on posts that are not fact-based.You know what I meant when I asked you to stick to the facts Donie, I'm not going to drop down to this level of pedantry.

4) I already post on the official CCFC site, been a member there for a while. Show me a post, any post at all, where I have whined? Not my style, and I won't have it said by you.Obviously you missed the posters that have left Foot.ie and gone on to whine about it on CCFC.IE. What was it you were saying about misinterpretation?

I'm not the only one who thinks the rules are quite ridiculous at times, Adam.I'm not seeing complaints in the Support forum? I'm not seeing PM's about issues...?

In this case, to be fair, I think you've taken my original post up the wrong way. I don't expect you to apologise for thatI won't, because I wasn't at fault. The phrasing of your post suggests marketing. It's you should be apologising and editing your post.

but it's disappointing that your attitiude towards the loss of long-time posters (not just me) is so couldn't give a toss.I give a toss about posters that don't go on the attack when they're ticked off about something on the site. They don't waste my time with garbage like this.

6) Well, anyway, it is your site and you're the king, and we all know those with the gold make the rules.Ha! Show me the gold!

7) I expect your response will be either to bin/lock this thread or give the usual 'I'm too busy to be getting into this' reply. All so very convenient, isn't it?Are you a mind-reader too Donie?

I don't know what you expect to achieve with this back and forth tbh Donie. If you're trying to make me look like a tyrant, I doubt people will notice the difference. The only reputation you're damaging here is your own. Why don't you just drop it and move on, either on Foot.ie or on another site?

I'm thinking of a line from The Big Lebowski right now btw, can you figure out what it is?

adam