PDA

View Full Version : Burial or cremation?

sadloserkid
25/03/2005, 2:04 PM
A bit of a morbid thread I suppose but bear with me. When you go how do you want to be disposed of? I've always wanted to be cremated because I have no more spirituality than an intelligent chimp and I felt it would be a bit hypocritical of me to wind up in some graveyard.

Recently though a girl I know from Derry passed away. I couldn't get to Derry in time for the funeral but I contented myself in the knowledge that I head up in my own time and say goodbye at her grave in my own way. Then after the event I found out that she was cremated. Obviously I can't complain, it's none of my business first of all and given that it's what I want for myself...

But it just got me thinking that a grave can serve a very valuable purpose. I'm still leaning towards cremation for when I'm outta time but I'm just curious as to what other people think?

strangeirish
25/03/2005, 2:15 PM
Cremation for me. Simple reason really. I want my ashes spread in two places.Is that wrong?

Of course, being Irish, I hope it doesn't take them three weeks to put the fire out!

sligoman
25/03/2005, 2:22 PM
Burial, dont know why really, suppose I'm afraid of been burned alive :eek: . I know I could be buried alive too but I think if I'm in the coffin their is still a chance of me been able to break out :D

eamoss
25/03/2005, 2:26 PM
Burial, dont know why really, suppose I'm afraid of been burned alive :eek: . I know I could be buried alive too but I think if I'm in the coffin their is still a chance of me been able to break out :D
Yea, Same with me!

Eire06
25/03/2005, 2:29 PM
I want to be Stuffed an put on a chair in the corner of the room :D

exile
26/03/2005, 9:59 PM
what happens when you get cremated do you get a plaque on a wall at the crematorium or something?

colblimp
27/03/2005, 12:55 PM
It has to be burial! Being cooked would be like dying again...

I would have to have a lead lined coffin, though, to stop the worms eating me :eek:

Gareth
27/03/2005, 1:14 PM
I have considered the Stuffed option :).

I want to be buried in a room in a graveyard, none of this underground jazz. I want a button on the inside of a glass covered coffin, that is smashable from the inside and the red button will emergency open the door too. I want a phone line installed too. This is all in case I wake up, or I am very wrong about religion and there is indeed a second coming and we all rise from the dead. Pain in the ass to rise from the dead only to discover your 6 feet under and you bit your fingernails.

Anyways Cremation is was never a good option for me. Don't like it.

dahamsta
27/03/2005, 2:21 PM
what happens when you get cremated do you get a plaque on a wall at the crematorium or something?Your next of kin gets an urn containing your ashes, which they should handle according to your wishes. So it could be stored in one of those places lots of them are stored (which would defeat the purpose imho), or keep it at home (ditto above) or scatter them somewhere (my chosen option, Garryvoe strand for preference).

Personally I'd prefer to be shot into space, but since it's unlikely that's going to be possible before I kick the bucket, I voted cremation.

adam

Pauro 76
28/03/2005, 12:17 PM
personally id like my ashes to be spread over Section O in Flancare Park! But the thoughts of jinxing the team might put me off the idea!!!

M@ttitude
28/03/2005, 12:47 PM
live forever..