PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever been sacked from their jobs?

Pauro 76
25/03/2005, 11:09 AM
The thread explains itself really, but got fired from my graphic design job after a few 'social' drinks with the workmates after work, got fired outside a bar!!!!.... first ever sacking and it stings like fcuk... but anyway anyone here ever got the heave-ho from their jobs?

Ruairi
25/03/2005, 11:36 AM
How can they sack you outside a bar?

I was given the heave ho last year, due to a change in "policy", "streamlining" and "cut-backs" but hung around the place and pestered them till they eventually gave in a gave me my job back...

I must admit though at the time it was a major kick in the nuts..nothing can take the wind out of your sails more than the dreaded "Ruairi, do you have a moment? In my office please"...my god i got hammered that night.. and the following 6 months... and in that period i learned that dole offices are the worst places in the fcuking world (worse than saint colemans park even)..and that waking up at 11 to watch bewitched and i dream of jeanie before heading back to sleep for another 4 hours was a "normal" day..

Anyway pauro sorry to hear about your situation, it sucks.. Something else will come along soon no doubt...

SÓC
25/03/2005, 11:52 AM
The thread explains itself really, but got fired from my graphic design job after a few 'social' drinks with the workmates after work, got fired outside a bar!!!!.... first ever sacking and it stings like fcuk... but anyway anyone here ever got the heave-ho from their jobs?

Pauro, seek legal advice, their sacking method, is well, dodgy to say the least.

Wrongful dismissal = €€€

thejollyrodger
25/03/2005, 11:52 AM
I got fired at a part time job. Not that important but still a kick in the teeth. personalities it was. Manager was an idiot !!

Superhoops
25/03/2005, 12:14 PM
Pauro, sounds like a dodgy oufit you were working for, but dodgy or not, there are employment laws and particularly in UK (I am assuming from your profile you are in London). Any employer is required to give notice for dismissal in writing stating the reasons for doing so. If it was for conduct or behaviour, unless it was for something constituted as 'gross misconduct' dismissal for a first time offence would be deemed to be unfair. Similarly, if it was for performance then unless it was for something deemed as 'gross negligence' dismissal for a first itme offence would deemed to be unfair. If is because of downsizing/restructuring and your position was being made redundant, then there is a legal requirement on the employer and the employee has rights. In all situations, you should be advised of the reason in writing and if it was for a disciplinary/perfomance issue then you are entitled to be advised in writing what the charge is against you and are entitled to hearing. Outside a bar is not the normal venue for such hearing to take place!

Longfordian
25/03/2005, 1:10 PM
Sounds very suss Pauro, you should definitely look into your rights. At the very least you'd be entitled to a reundancy payment, and as others have said if there's wrongful dismissal involved you'd be entitled to a decnet bit of compensation.

strangeirish
25/03/2005, 1:48 PM
Yep, got the boot meself a time or two. Not a fun thing to go through Pauro, I feel your pain. Having said that, it's not the end of the world and there are lots of other jobs out there(I know, that's not what you want to hear). When I got canned from my last job, I'd had enough of working for someone else, so I started my own business. That was ten years ago!

sadloserkid
25/03/2005, 1:53 PM
in that period i learned that dole offices are the worst places in the fcuking world (worse than saint colemans park even)

Amen to that. I went to sign on when I got back from England but the dole office was such a crap, crap place that I just went and got my old job back instead.

Troy.McClure
25/03/2005, 5:19 PM
I was given the heave ho last year, due to a change in "policy", "streamlining" and "cut-backs" but hung around the place and pestered them till they eventually gave in a gave me my job back...

I know someone who's trying to do that! Dont think it will work though, he's already been replaced.

Pat O' Banton
27/03/2005, 7:57 PM
Pauro sorry to hear about that, sound like a shower of w*nkers, do check into your rights http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ should be of some use, go down to see them (and turn up at least half an hour before they open) rather then ring up as you'll never get through. However the law may state that you have to be in employment a year before you can apply for wrongful dismissal. Defo check into it. And good Luck.

Pauro 76
28/03/2005, 12:01 PM
Cheers guys! Seems a bit suspicuious to say the least. The manager was touting my job for my replacement without my knowing, and i wasnt even given a verbal or written warning! he seemed to think that heres a month's wages for next month would sweep it all under the carpet. his excuses for my dismissal were weak to say the least (mistakes in my work that i wasnt even told about, not getting on with the boss, but how can i with him ignoring me the last two months), and i told him outside the bar that unless i get my months wage i will take it further, the pr!ck just laughed at me! Ive worked for pr!cks before, but this takes the biscuit. But that said the place i work for is a franchise and im guessing its the franchise vs little old me. Ive been advised to take them to the cleaners, but im also thinking feck it put it down to bad experience. But i have only been there four months, and im still on probation there, so my chances are limited. but cheers for the advice guys, will let you know how i get on, the b@stards aint getting away with it! oh and also by way of consolation, a few of my workmates will also hopefully quit in support of me! :)

Fair_play_boy
28/03/2005, 11:05 PM
Got the boot a few years back when I started asking questions about the accounts. I am no good when it comes to analysing a balance sheet, but it didn't take much skill to see what was going on. I was let go on some lousy pretext, and the cnuts who were cooking the books started a whispering campaign about me justifying my sacking, so anybody I approached wouldn't listen to me.
Within two years, their carry on was found out, and over a hundred grand was recovered. But I still can't get a the jobs I want in Cork because they did such a good job spreading muck about me.

max power
29/03/2005, 12:22 AM
ah pauro, it makes a change from you walkin out on employers for town games ;) :o

hope you get it all sorted.

Pauro 76
29/03/2005, 8:46 AM
Dont book the red carpet for homecoming just yet! officially im gone from my job, but have to stick around for the paycheque owed. If i dont find a decent job before then, two choices, p!ss off somewhere with the paycheck or just come home. Again! but for now, still working as a barman where everything is great and heading down to Citizens Advice today too...

drinkfeckarse
29/03/2005, 9:53 AM
(worse than saint colemans park even)

St Colmans ;)

Babysis
29/03/2005, 10:06 AM
Ive never been sacked as such, but I parted on seriously bad terms with the agency I worked for at the airports. They messed up, I got the blame. Not good, but these things happen :)

patsh
29/03/2005, 10:20 AM
I was working in London years ago, for a temp agency doin all sorts of jobs.

One day I was booked for a particular job, but something happened, and the thing fell through. It was around 6.30 in the morning, so they asked me would I do this other ob. As I was up, I said fine. It turned out to be a cleaning job at an old peoples home in Wimbledon. I got on ok at first, but was then asked to wash/clean the floor in a bathroom area. Cutting a long storey short, I used the wrong stuff for that particular type of floor, and basically turned it into an ice rink!
Some poor old woman came in to take her bath, and fell straight away, injuring her hip. They called me in, paid me for the day and got rid of me fairly lively. I lasted a whole 1 hour 20 minutes in that place!

pete
29/03/2005, 10:28 AM
Never been sacked but made redundent (company closed) last year which was excellent. Had 6 months or so notice & lum sum like 5 year tax free savings plan :)

drummerboy
29/03/2005, 10:34 AM
A colleague of mine was sacked for some fabricated reason. However he didn't want any help from the union as he had intended to leave anyway. On his last day, he was saying his good buy to colleagues. He then collected a fire bucket which was filled with vile putrid water and entered the foreman's office with the bucket behind his back. The foreman looked around just in time to receive my colleagues parting present. The look on his face was priceless. When my colleague called back to the office to collect money owed, the price of dry cleaning the managers suit was deducted.

M@ttitude
29/03/2005, 10:51 AM
I worked in Smiths Toystore for a brief three days a few years ago one summer and they didnt even know I existed, It was a strange Interview, more of a walk around the shop with a bunch of people, I got there late and just joined the crowd that a helpful worker informed me was the new employees.. At the end she pick us like she was picking teams in PE, small girls at checkouts, small boys on the floor and me and a couple of big lads in the stock room, so she told us to start tomorrow. The shop wasnt opened yet and they were just getting the place ready so the next day I went into the stock room and met the other two guys, didnt meet a boss yet, happy days we just played football all day, bounced ping pong balls against the wall and drove remote control cars around and went home after 8 eight hours, the next day the same thing. There was no back week so Friday came and I plodded up to the bank to find insufficient funds, obviously they got my details wrong so off I went to my magical job, up the the wage clerk, then finally met my boss who informed me they didnt think I showed up for the interview and hired someone else for the position.. I walked out wondering why am I alive, and never looked back.. :(

ciaran76
29/03/2005, 11:43 AM
I walked out wondering why am I alive, and never looked back.. :(

I am sorry if this sounds cruel but that is one of the best stories i have heard in a long time. I couldn't stop laughing at the end. Again i am sorry if it seems cruel :o

M@ttitude
29/03/2005, 2:03 PM
I am sorry if this sounds cruel but that is one of the best stories i have heard in a long time. I couldn't stop laughing at the end. Again i am sorry if it seems cruel :o
Dont be sorry it seems funny looking back now but at the time it was annoying because I was the last of all my friends to land a summer job that year, and it was big news that I got a £5 an hour job in a toy shop, then coming home everyday and my mother would have my dinner on the table, a big smile on her face saying 'theres my working man now', 'hard day?'.. All the plans that week of getting a 6 dutch gold and 20 blue on saturday, not 10, 20! Maybe dropping into Mcdonalds for a big mac meal after watching Jurassic Park 2 in the pictures.. But no I arrive home on Friday with a confused look on my face and sort of an anxious sad lump in my throat ready to punch my pillow around. The worst part was I think my mam actually rang them and asked why wasn't I paid and they were like 'How do we know this isnt a scam', then my mam wanted them to check the cameras, I think thats when I pulled the phone line out of the wall and told her to let it go, I think dunnes are looking for staff. :o