PDA

View Full Version : Wexford 'Mutual Termination' of Damian Locke contract

nigel-harps1954
14/07/2018, 2:15 PM
Wexford release the following statement:

Wexford FC wishes to advise that first team manager Damian Locke has left the club by mutual consent. Wewould like to thank Damian sincerely for his hard work and contribution to the club over the last six years, and wish him every success in the game in the future.
For the immediate future and if necessary until the end of the current season, the first team will be managed by the coaching staff within the club. The process to appoint a permanent replacement will start straight away.

Damian Locke releases a statement to the contrary:

Off the back of 3 good results to having 9 academy players play first team last night I'm disappointed to not be allowed honour my commitment to the dressing room for the season

'Mutual consent' it seems not.

CorribsideSteve
14/07/2018, 3:04 PM
I love that; anytime a Board in any League sacks/let go/parts ways a Manager, they throw out the old line "We thank so and so and wish them the best". It's usually never sincere. More unnecessary drama in the GLITW.

Longfordian
14/07/2018, 3:19 PM
What’s the point in sacking him now? I doubt he’s being paid much.

SeanDrog
14/07/2018, 4:57 PM
What’s the point in sacking him now? I doubt he’s being paid much.

Exactly my thought too

pineapple stu
14/07/2018, 5:11 PM
Get somebody new in to get a run at the job for the last 7 games of this season so they can hit the ground running next season?

In theory anyway. But Wexford seem ****e either way. What's happened them? It's only three years since they won the division.

outspoken
14/07/2018, 5:18 PM
Seems like an extremely badly run club.

Nesta99
14/07/2018, 5:42 PM
Shane Keegan is free these days! maybe I should say available as Im sure he isnt quite in the take a job for nothing stage yet after leaving Galway.

marinobohs
17/07/2018, 10:22 AM
'mutual agreement' - the club want him out but don't want to pay any compo :rolleyes:

oldyouth
17/07/2018, 12:09 PM
'mutual agreement' - the club want him out but don't want to pay any compo :rolleyes:

What makes you think there would be an entitlement to 'compo'?

marinobohs
17/07/2018, 2:20 PM
What makes you think there would be an entitlement to 'compo'?

Don't know but presume he has some level of contract and if terminated early would generate a claim for payment of remainder. I understand one former LOI manager recently was awarded compensation following his dismissal from a club. if he was operating without a written contract, under Irish law he may have a claim in respect of expectation of earnings.

oldyouth
17/07/2018, 7:30 PM
He won't be getting compo

thebronze14
17/07/2018, 10:22 PM
He won't be getting compo
I thought he'd get a Locke of money out of it

outspoken
21/07/2018, 8:36 AM
Locke is the new man in at Newbridge Town

Ezeikial
21/07/2018, 9:48 AM

Disgraceful that he should just abandon Wexford Youth for a go-nowhere team.

ForzaForth
21/07/2018, 11:08 AM
Wexford have now advertised for a new first team manager. First team coach, Karl Grehan, has also left.

Martinho II
21/07/2018, 1:56 PM

wondering could Newbridge Town make a go in LOI? heard a lot of great things about them.

marinobohs
23/07/2018, 1:53 PM
wondering could Newbridge Town make a go in LOI? heard a lot of great things about them.

Do they still play in ground formally home of Kildare county (Kildare rented it from Newbridge Town) ? nice little ground and given their (newbridge Town) underage setup they might be in a better position to generate some local support (than Kildare county did). Again, many of the locals are displaced Dubs and already have an LOI team (if interested) I recall there is a shams supporters club in Newbridge and Bohs have a few that attend from that neck of the woods.
Might be one of the more likely locations for a new LOI team (if done right).

The Donie Forde
23/07/2018, 5:19 PM
Wexford have now advertised for a new first team manager. First team coach, Karl Grehan, has also left.

Who was in charge for their last game, Forza?

ForzaForth
23/07/2018, 5:35 PM
DF, Word has it that Seanie O'Shea was in charge, but I might be wrong there.

Martinho II
23/07/2018, 7:18 PM
Do they still play in ground formally home of Kildare county (Kildare rented it from Newbridge Town) ? nice little ground and given their (newbridge Town) underage setup they might be in a better position to generate some local support (than Kildare county did). Again, many of the locals are displaced Dubs and already have an LOI team (if interested) I recall there is a shams supporters club in Newbridge and Bohs have a few that attend from that neck of the woods.
Might be one of the more likely locations for a new LOI team (if done right).

yeah correct marino we played them in a friendly in station rd in preseason last. ex town player paul perth was managing them back then.

marinobohs
24/07/2018, 8:50 AM
yeah correct marino we played them in a friendly in station rd in preseason last. ex town player paul perth was managing them back then.

We played a friendly there back in the Kildare County days, nice little ground. I think Newbridge Town underage setup split about two years back ? so not sure who is running the club now but they are very focused on underage so may not be interested in LOI

Brusher
24/07/2018, 12:31 PM
There was indeed a split ! Then a few of their best young players went to Shamrock Rovers, but I'm led to believe most of those lads are now back in the fold.The stadium is good enough for a First Division side, but like the rest of Ireland, the locals would give it a few weeks and sod off back to the pubs, leaving the club high and dry.

Brusher
24/07/2018, 12:37 PM
For me one of the big problems in towns with a League of Ireland dream/vision, is the belief that the local GAA Senior and Junior players train just as hard as LoI players, and it's free to watch them.Take Newbridge as an example, the 2 big GAA clubs in Newbridge, Sarsfields (c'mon the Sash) and Moorefield, would hoover up most of the advertising and good will within the town, meaning what's left wouldn't carry a LoI team over a few months, never mind a season.

marinobohs
25/07/2018, 8:50 AM
For me one of the big problems in towns with a League of Ireland dream/vision, is the belief that the local GAA Senior and Junior players train just as hard as LoI players, and it's free to watch them.Take Newbridge as an example, the 2 big GAA clubs in Newbridge, Sarsfields (c'mon the Sash) and Moorefield, would hoover up most of the advertising and good will within the town, meaning what's left wouldn't carry a LoI team over a few months, never mind a season.

Not so sure its that grim. Newbridge Town have roots there already so would have a support base from the 'get go' whereas Kildare County was a somewhat artificial entity having to start from the ground (someone else's ground) up. given the huge population increase in and around Newbridge I think there is potential for a LOI club, just not sure Newbridge Town are interested in taking the risk.