PDA

View Full Version : Fixture Changes

nigel-harps1954
14/07/2018, 11:50 AM
Cork City v Derry City scheduled for Friday, July 20 has been moved to Monday, July 23 at Turner’s Cross, with kick-off at 7.45pm. In the event of Cork City and/or Derry City progressing to the Second Qualifying Round of their respective European competition, then the fixture will be postponed until a later date.

Shamrock Rovers' trip to Waterford, scheduled for Friday, 20th July, has been moved to Sunday, 22nd July at the Regional Sports Centre, with kick-off at 3pm. In the event of Shamrock Rovers progressing to the second qualifying round of the Europa League then the fixture will be postponed until a later date.

Sligo Rovers' home game against Dundalk, scheduled for Saturday, July 21, has been moved to Sunday, July 22 at the Showgrounds, with kick-off at 7pm. In the event of Dundalk progressing to the second qualifying round of the Europa League then the fixture will be postponed until a later date.

Ezeikial
14/07/2018, 2:50 PM
It seems strange that the announcement on fixture changes is only being made now.

The european dates were known for months and the draw specifics for several weeks. Why now?

nigel-harps1954
14/07/2018, 2:55 PM
It seems strange that the announcement on fixture changes is only being made now.

The european dates were known for months and the draw specifics for several weeks. Why now?

Because the FAI are busy creating atmospheres in Bray.

micls
14/07/2018, 3:11 PM
Why is the Dundalk sligo game gonna be moved when they progress? They're at home the Thursday before and after right? Seems like they'd be better off getting the game played on the Sunday, rather than postponing it and ending up with major fixture congestion later if they've a successful euro run.

nigel-harps1954
14/07/2018, 3:23 PM
Why is the Dundalk sligo game gonna be moved when they progress? They're at home the Thursday before and after right? Seems like they'd be better off getting the game played on the Sunday, rather than postponing it and ending up with major fixture congestion later if they've a successful euro run.

It's not like their reserves wouldn't beat Sligo anyway

micls
14/07/2018, 3:34 PM
Also harsh on sligo to have a home game postponed, when it doesn't seem necessary.

Ezeikial
14/07/2018, 4:04 PM
Presumably the rationale from the FAI in postponing matches is to give each of the teams every opportunity to progress in the next round if they get through the current one - that is a laudable and worthy policy.

I don't know if the individual clubs have a say in reversing this, but if they have I'm surprised that Dundalk have opted to run with this potential postponement. In my opinion it would be preferable from Dundalk's perspective to play this match on Sunday in the hope of maintaining the gap in the league table, particularly as there is no travel involved in any potential second round 1st leg. Presumably Sligo would also prefer to play it. The subsequent home fixtures (Bohs 27 July & Rovers 3 Aug) may be more important postponements if Dundalk make further progress

micls
14/07/2018, 6:25 PM
While the postponement might be a short term advantage, if dundalk were to reach the group stages again for example, or even the playoff round, it would be a major hindrance to fit in later I'd imagine.

sbgawa
14/07/2018, 6:48 PM
I actually made up a second 11 for dundalk that I thought they might play instead of postponing matches. I thought that might have been part of the thinkijng in signingv so many players

micls
14/07/2018, 7:03 PM
They were already playing games that regularly earlier in the year. We all were! But yeah, they've got 2 teams that could finish top 4.

Ezeikial
14/07/2018, 11:33 PM
While the postponement might be a short term advantage, if dundalk were to reach the group stages again for example, or even the playoff round, it would be a major hindrance to fit in later I'd imagine.

I actually made up a second 11 for dundalk that I thought they might play instead of postponing matches. I thought that might have been part of the thinkijng in signingv so many players

The same situation applies for all clubs playing in European competition - perhaps it is because of low expectations for others to qualify for the next round that the discussion appears limited to Dundalk.

Personally, I think that it would be preferable for the Sligo V Dundalk match to go ahead next Sunday irrespective of the result against Levedia Tallinn

Nah Nah Nah Nah
14/07/2018, 11:45 PM
Also harsh on sligo to have a home game postponed, when it doesn't seem necessary.

Depending on when the Dundalk game gets rescheduled we could go from June 30th to September 15th without a home league game.

League Cup and FAI Cup games at home at least

legendz
18/07/2018, 8:17 PM
Unless a team is playing Wednesday-Tuesday in Europe, regular league fixtures should not be postponed.

If a team is playing Tuesday-Tuesday, they should play a league fixture on Friday.

If a team is playing Wednesday-Wednesday, they should play a league fixture on Saturday.

If a team is playing Tuesday-Wednesday, they should play a league fixture on Friday or Saturday.

If a team is playing Thursday-Thursday, they should play a league fixture on Sunday.

micls
18/07/2018, 8:26 PM
The same situation applies for all clubs playing in European competition - perhaps it is because of low expectations for others to qualify for the next round that the discussion appears limited to Dundalk.

Personally, I think that it would be preferable for the Sligo V Dundalk match to go ahead next Sunday irrespective of the result against Levedia Tallinn

When the postponements were announced it was very likely it was only dundalk and us that would be in Europe after the 1st round, and us having the bye in the next round eases the pressure on us a bit. Dundalk are the only ones like to play 4-6 Euro games in the coming weeks.

micls
18/07/2018, 8:44 PM
Unless a team is playing Wednesday-Tuesday in Europe, regular league fixtures should not be postponed.

If a team is playing Tuesday-Tuesday, they should play a league fixture on Friday.

If a team is playing Wednesday-Wednesday, they should play a league fixture on Saturday.

If a team is playing Tuesday-Wednesday, they should play a league fixture on Friday or Saturday.

If a team is playing Thursday-Thursday, they should play a league fixture on Sunday.

I don't think it's that clearcut. The dundalk situation is one thing they're home both games, but if you were away both of those games for example, playing a league game jn between wouldn't be reasonable. Even with only one of them away, depending on location its a big ask. I think there should be leeway as needed, I'm just not sure dundalk needed it in this particular scenario

oriel
18/07/2018, 9:44 PM
Absolutely no reason for the Sligo game to be even considered to be postponed.

Get it played and out of the way, 3 hour journey for gods sake, the squad would be back in Dundalk well in time to be in for light training even at 10am on the Monday.

marinobohs
23/07/2018, 2:02 PM

That would make perfect sense, and where exceptional travel commitments arose it could still be relaxed by League.It would, of course, clarify matters and relieve us of the traditional blarney that surrounds this issue every year.

oriel
23/07/2018, 2:47 PM
Dundalk v Bohs confirmed for Sunday 29th July, 7pm kick off.

Sligo must be delighted to hear about this, they were treated very poorly in all of this, especially the sheer length of time between last and next home game.

marinobohs
24/07/2018, 8:56 AM
Dundalk v Bohs confirmed for Sunday 29th July, 7pm kick off.

Sligo must be delighted to hear about this, they were treated very poorly in all of this, especially the sheer length of time between last and next home game.

At least the league are consistent - not :snicker: Is this left totally to the clubs to decide (if they can) ? does the league only intervene if the clubs cannot agree ?

disgruntled
24/07/2018, 9:55 AM
At least the league are consistent - not :snicker: Is this left totally to the clubs to decide (if they can) ? does the league only intervene if the clubs cannot agree ?

Gavin & his mates seem to be making it up as they go along.

What happened to Derry was all wrong.
They come back from Minsk & they have to make the longest journey in the country to Cork.
Play a game yes but make it a shorter journey Sligo, Dundalk or something like that.
Sending Rovers to Waterford wasn't a great idea either even though they won down there.
It isn't iike the League just found out about the European draws last week :mad:

Ezeikial
24/07/2018, 10:04 AM

They come back from Minsk & they have to make the longest journey in the country to Cork.
Play a game yes but make it a shorter journey Sligo, Dundalk or something like that.
Sending Rovers to Waterford wasn't a great idea either even though they won down there.
It isn't iike the League just found out about the European draws last week :mad:

I understand your point although Google Maps says that Derry to either Sligo or Dundalk takes longer than Tallaght to Waterford

disgruntled
30/07/2018, 9:08 PM
I understand your point although Google Maps says that Derry to either Sligo or Dundalk takes longer than Tallaght to Waterford

Is it longer than sending Derry all the way to Cork which was my point ?

Ezeikial
31/07/2018, 3:11 AM
Is it longer than sending Derry all the way to Cork which was my point ?

I understood and acknowledged your point about Derry travelling to Cork, but was picking up on your comment that sending Rovers to Waterford was also not a good idea.

Derry to Dundalk or Sligo you suggest is okay, yet takes longer than Tallaght to Waterford which you say is not okay

disgruntled
31/07/2018, 11:13 AM
I understood and acknowledged your point about Derry travelling to Cork, but was picking up on your comment that sending Rovers to Waterford was also not a good idea.

Derry to Dundalk or Sligo you suggest is okay, yet takes longer than Tallaght to Waterford which you say is not okay

I think you're a bit confused there ?

Derry to Dundalk is 97.6 Km & Derry to Sligo is 85.7 Km.
Tallaght to Waterford is 162.2 which is at least 70 Kms longer than Derry to Sligo or Dundalk.

Rovers to Waterford is 162Km & Rovers had just come back from Sweden.
Dundalk to Sligo is 170Km & yet Dundalk couldn't go to Sligo even though Dundalk had played at home in Europe.
Where's the fairness in that.

brendy_éire
31/07/2018, 12:36 PM

Those figures are a bit off. Derry-Dundalk is 157km, Derry-Sligo is 137km.
Worth mentioning that Tallaght-Waterford is all motorway too.

Take your point that Dundalk could certainly have played Sligo, but no issue with them no doing so.

nigel-harps1954
31/07/2018, 12:50 PM

Tallaght to Waterford is 162.2 which is at least 70 Kms longer than Derry to Sligo or Dundalk.

Dundalk to Sligo is 170Km & yet Dundalk couldn't go to Sligo even though Dundalk had played at home in Europe.

Make sure you change Google Maps to KM instead of Miles ;)

Ezeikial
31/07/2018, 1:37 PM

Geography and journey times obviously not a strong point for you.

Ditto for logic of arguements

Among your original comments were that it was unreasonable to ask Rovers to travel to Waterford while arguing that Derry travelling to Sligo or Dundalk would have been fine.

Google Maps clearly shows that Tallaght to Waterford is a shorter journey time than the other two

Brandywell, Derry to Showgrounds, Sligo - 2 hours 1 mins on N15 (137km)

Brandywell, Derry to Oriel Park Dundalk - 2 hours 21 mins on A5/A2 (157km)

Tallaght Stadium to RSC, Waterford - 1 hour 47 mins on M9 (158km)

As regards the Sligo V Dundalk game being postponed - you may be aware that the FAI made league postponement contingency arrangements for all teams competing in Europe (Cork, Derry, Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk) - ultimately only Dundalk progressed to the next round. All euro competing clubs were treated equally in that sense, although Sligo clearly have grounds to be upset

placid casual
01/08/2018, 8:41 AM
You of all people should know how to spell the word argument.

Ezeikial
01/08/2018, 10:13 AM
You of all people should know how to spell the word argument.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/wierdscience/spelling-nazis-spelling-nazi-nazis-grammer-nazis-emo-demotivational-poster-1235839503.jpg

disgruntled
02/08/2018, 10:20 AM
Make sure you change Google Maps to KM instead of Miles ;)

I apologise for mixing up my miles & kilometres but we can always count on Ezeikial to put us right :o

Geography and journey times obviously not a strong point for you.

Ditto for logic of arguements

Among your original comments were that it was unreasonable to ask Rovers to travel to Waterford while arguing that Derry travelling to Sligo or Dundalk would have been fine.

Google Maps clearly shows that Tallaght to Waterford is a shorter journey time than the other two

Brandywell, Derry to Showgrounds, Sligo - 2 hours 1 mins on N15 (137km)

Brandywell, Derry to Oriel Park Dundalk - 2 hours 21 mins on A5/A2 (157km)

Tallaght Stadium to RSC, Waterford - 1 hour 47 mins on M9 (158km)

As regards the Sligo V Dundalk game being postponed - you may be aware that the FAI made league postponement contingency arrangements for all teams competing in Europe (Cork, Derry, Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk) - ultimately only Dundalk progressed to the next round. All euro competing clubs were treated equally in that sense, although Sligo clearly have grounds to be upset

Thank you for correcting my geographical errors. I had the Google options set to automatic.

As to the Sligo vs Dundalk game.
Sligo refused Dundalk's request for a postponement on more than one occasion but the FAI stepped in on Saturday to grant the postponement.
Dundalk could have played the game if they wanted.
Personally it make no difference to me whether Dundalk play their games or not but thought I should correct the facts lest people get the impression that Dundalk were being forced to postpone the game & were being victimised in some way.

Leaving all rivalries apart I hope Dundalk win out in Cyprus this evening.
Just for the greater good of the League & all that ;)

Ezeikial
02/08/2018, 12:03 PM
I apologise for mixing up my miles & kilometres but we can always count on Ezeikial to put us right

You're good craic. If you follow the thread back I called you out on your nonsense on travel times for Rovers going to Waterford compared with some Derry journeys. You made a fool of yourself all by yourself on the distances.

The Donie Forde
02/08/2018, 12:18 PM
You're good craic. If you follow the thread back I called you out on your nonsense on travel times for Rovers going to Waterford compared with some Derry journeys. You made a fool of yourself all by yourself on the distances.

To be fair, he made an error and fessed up to it.

Ezeikial
02/08/2018, 12:53 PM
To be fair, he made an error and fessed up to it.

Yet still felt the need to have a pointless dig.

sullanefc
02/08/2018, 7:48 PM
Yet still felt the need to have a pointless dig.

Sums up the majority of your own posts.

disgruntled
03/08/2018, 9:49 AM

I really don't know what to say.
I'm humbled to be in your presence Ezeikial, the man who has never made a mistake, the perfect one.

The rest of us are only human of course.
We make mistakes, we try to learn from them & we move on.
Maybe Mr Kenny should take advise from you because like the rest of us shock horror he makes mistakes as well.

A lot of us wished Dundalk the best yesterday but then that was surely a sign of weakness so I'm glad Dundalk got tanned or should that be sun tanned :p

When you come down from your high horse I look forward to you coming on here & explaining how the League of Ireland's greatest ever team got hammered out of sight by a team packed with Spanish journeymen.
Maybe Mr Kenny made a mistake because only a person of inferior intellect would wear a black tee shirt in 35' heat.
That's not something you'd ever do of course :stupid:

placid casual
03/08/2018, 10:14 AM
I doubt he was even there.
Dundalk's answer to mypost.

oriel
04/08/2018, 10:07 AM
Sligo Rovers v Dundalk re-fixed for Monday 20th August. 7.45

ToberonaTornado
04/08/2018, 11:30 AM
Sligo Rovers v Dundalk re-fixed for Monday 20th August. 7.45

IF we're good and ready :D

Ezeikial
04/08/2018, 11:49 AM
I really don't know what to say.

That's clear - but you still managed a big load of personalised nonsense instead.

No thanks

disgruntled
04/08/2018, 3:10 PM
That's clear - but you still managed a big load of personalised nonsense instead.

No thanks

Don't trip over your ego on the way out :arrogant:

brendy_éire
15/08/2018, 3:52 PM
Dundalk-Derry City moved from 14th to 25th September.