PDA

View Full Version : Morrison injured?

Donal81
25/03/2005, 8:38 AM
Morrison a cause for fresh concern
Emmet Malone in Tel Aviv

SOCCER/Israel v Rep of Ireland: Clinton Morrison has emerged as a serious injury worry for Brian Kerr after the Birmingham City striker picked up a knock in training at the Blumfield Stadium here and was forced to sit out the closing stages of yesterday's session with an ice pack on his ankle.

Gary Breen was also sidelined after suffering a knee injury, but there was better news on the goalkeeping front with Shay Given getting through some work during the early part of the training without any obvious problems, which suggested the Newcastle United player was on course to start tomorrow evening's World Cup qualifier.

But Morrison looked a doubtful starter as he limped back to the team coach, although his absence would not be the blow to Irish hopes of securing at least a draw as would the goalkeeper's.

If the striker is forced to miss out, then Andy Reid or Damien Duff could play up front, although Kerr also has the option of switching Kevin Kilbane from his most likely starting position, the centre of midfield, to one of the wings.

Whatever happens, the Everton midfielder looks certain to start his 61st international game, mostly likely alongside Roy Keane in the thick of things in midfield where Kerr will be hoping the pair can work as effectively together as they did in Paris in October.

Kilbane's performance that night helped him to the Republic of Ireland's International Player of the Year award, something he says he is very proud of even if he would, he admits, swap it tomorrow for a place at the next World Cup finals.

"It was a great honour but I think we'd all love to be there," he says, "and with the players that we have now there's a real belief within the squad that we can make it. It's a tough group, but I think this is a better Irish team than the one that went to Japan and Korea.

"I'm not going to count any chickens, but when you have the likes of Robbie (Keane), Damien (Duff) and Andy Reid in the side you can win games.

"It'll be tough," he continues, "Israel have always had some wonderful players, flair players, but they probably look more solid as a team now.

"We'll definitely go there to win, though. We have enough ability in the squad now to go anywhere in the world and get a result, and while we'll give them the respect that they deserve we believe we can get the right one there."

Kilbane's own increasingly central role in the team's fortunes after many had expected him to lose out as the team's young wingers came of age is a measure of the way he has developed his game over the past couple of years.

After enduring some difficult times at Sunderland and many erratic performances for the Republic, he has been playing the best football of his career during the past season and a half.

This season he has been one of just two players to start every game for the Goodison Park club, who remain well placed to qualify for the Champions League if only they can recover some of their early-season momentum.

For Kilbane, however, that means there is additional pressure both at club and international level, although he doesn't seem to mind.

"Of course it's hard sometimes because the games are all important now whether they're internationals or in the Premiership," he says. "There is certainly pressure when you have so many big games, but, let's face it, that's why you grow up wanting to play at this level, because the games are all important.

"This is a huge game, but in this campaign we've probably played better away so far. Our best games have been in France and Switzerland."

A performance to equal either one of those, one suspects, and tomorrow will be another good night for the Irish

eirebhoy
25/03/2005, 8:56 AM
I suppose a journalist will make anything sound more severe than it is.

Irish Indo:

STRIKER Clinton Morrison will be fit to lead the Irish attack against Israel tomorrow, despite handing Brian Kerr another injury scare at training yesterday.

The Birmingham City player went over on his ankle during the session at Tel Aviv's Blumfield Stadium and sat out the remainder of the session alongside defender Gary Breen who also picked up a knock.

"I got a kick on my right ankle in training and it has swollen up," said Morrison. "I will just see how it goes in training tomorrow. I could do without this."

But Ireland manager Brian Kerr said last night that Morrison had only come off as a precaution and would be okay to start the World Cup qualifier.

tetsujin1979
25/03/2005, 9:24 AM
On TV3 last night he was resting on the side of the pitch with an icepack on his ankle. Didn't look anything more serious than a kick. Should be fine.

JimmyP
25/03/2005, 12:59 PM
Shay Given (hip), Clinton Morrison (ankle) and Gary Breen (knee) all trained at the National Stadium at Ramat Gan on Friday morning and were declared available for selection giving Kerr a nice headache as he considers the make up of his side for Saturday’s game.

“All 22 are fit and available for selection,” said Kerr. “We had a good session and Shay will definitely start." - fai.ie

thejollyrodger
25/03/2005, 1:11 PM
must be a slow news day. I hope clinton starts and is on his game. He looked very threating in Paris. More so than Robbie. If he doesnt start I would put Ried on up front.

Eire06
25/03/2005, 1:41 PM
in the indo website..

I'd say if he didn't have to go off in Paris he would have scored.. :(
But anyway he's fine and is playin

STRIKER Clinton Morrison will be fit to lead the Irish attack against Israel tomorrow, despite handing Brian Kerr another injury scare at training yesterday.

The Birmingham City player went over on his ankle during the session at Tel Aviv's Blumfield Stadium and sat out the remainder of the session alongside defender Gary Breen who also picked up a knock.

"I got a kick on my right ankle in training and it has swollen up," said Morrison. "I will just see how it goes in training tomorrow. I could do without this."

But Ireland manager Brian Kerr said last night that Morrison had only come off as a precaution and would be okay to start the World Cup qualifier.

Kerr also confirmed that Shay Given should be fit after coming through his recent injury scare. The Newcastle United goalkeeper strained his hip a week ago and needed a pain-killing injection to get through last Saturday's game against Portsmouth.

But he took part in the first half of yesterday's session and allayed any fears that Kerr may have had about his availability for tomorrow.

"He did enough in yesterday's session and just sat out the second part of it as a precaution," explained Kerr.

Andy O'Brien also turned his ankle during yesterday's training session.

With the exception of first choice goalkeeper Nit Davidovitch, who has been ruled out through injury, Israel will also be at full strength as star midfielder Yossi Benayoun has confirmed his recovery from a knee injury that has dogged him in recent weeks.

"The knee is okay and I will be able to play," said Benayoun, who is looking forward to going head to head against Roy Keane. "I have supported Manchester United since I was a boy and for me Roy Keane is one of the best players in the world. It will be nice to play against him and one of the best teams in the world." Israel spent yesterday afternoon watching videos of the Irish team in action and last night's training session saw them concentrating on dealing with crosses and high balls into the box.

Goalkeeper Dudu Awat, who is said to be suspect under the high ball, has been doing extra training along with the back five to cope with the crosses the Israelis expect Damien Duff to deliver.

Israel manager Avraham Grant said he admired Brian Kerr and what Ireland has achieved since he joined the FAI in 1997.

"I feel professional jealously. It's a process that started at youth level - Ireland won the European Championships years ago - and what we see is the result of a lot of hard work and it is something which hopefully we can copy here."

The match is a 40,000 sell-out and it will be the first time since Israel played Columbia in 1989 in a World Cup play-off that tickets will not be on sale on the day of a game.

Israel has been gripped by football fever and Grant admitted one his tasks was to try and keep his nation's in touch with reality.

"People get carried away with things. The nation runs between tragedy and euphoria," he said.

Israel captain Avi Nimni is confident they can harness this fervent support to their advantage. "The whole country is going crazy for these two matches, which is good for morale. We believe we have a good chance to get a result because we have the support of our fans."

Grant is expected to opt for an extremely defensive line-up with three centre backs, two wing backs, three defensive midfielders, one attacking midfielder and a lone striker.

Fergie's Son
25/03/2005, 4:43 PM
I must say that I have been impressed with Morrisson's committment to Ireland. He seems really up for the games and for the team. Excellent addition in terms of quality and personality.

FarBeag
25/03/2005, 6:00 PM
Morrison,wears his heart on his sleeve without a doubt.He will not stop running,holds up the ball well and is reasonable in the air.I guess we are better with him than without him.I hope he leaves Brum so as he can get some some first team action.