PDA

View Full Version : Barthez refuses to travel to Israel

eirebhoy
24/03/2005, 2:50 PM
Fabien Barthez says he will not travel with teammates to Israel next week for game because of IDF's activity in territories

France's national soccer team top goalie slammed Israel on Thursday, saying he refused to travel with his teammates to a planned match with Israel’s national team next week because of the the Israeli army's actions against Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza.

“When I see all the suffering in the world, I don’t understand why they would want to play in Israel,” Fabien Barthez told a news conference in Paris.

The French goalie also slammed Israel’s operations in the Palestinian territories, saying: “I don’t like it at all. I am speaking as a father and not as a soccer player.”

Should Barthez not arrive in Israel with the rest of the French squad for the planned match on Wednesday, Coach Raymond Domenech would need to use his second-string goalie.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3062948,00.html

Eire06
24/03/2005, 2:51 PM
oh such a pity :D

Wonder will there be a whole debate in France now over wether hes right or wrong...

noby
24/03/2005, 3:26 PM
Ah, hang on now. It was hardly today or yesterday this fixture was announced.

I don't remember him having an issue with "all the suffering in the world" when Israel played in Paris.

Éanna
24/03/2005, 3:52 PM
fair play to him, nice to see a footballer with principles- no wonder he didn't do well in the Premiershi* :rolleyes:

dr_peepee
24/03/2005, 8:33 PM
Must have been listening to "Earth Song"!!

thecorner
24/03/2005, 9:59 PM
sebastien frey and michael landreau are more than adequate replacements

crc
25/03/2005, 12:27 PM
Should Barthez not arrive in Israel... Coach Raymond Domenech would need to use his second-string goalie.Wow! No S***, Sherlock? A fine bit of cutting edge deduction, brought to you by ynetnews! :D

De Town
25/03/2005, 12:31 PM
sebastien frey and michael landreau are more than adequate replacements
or even your man at Lyon, Coupet

sadloserkid
25/03/2005, 2:11 PM
Don't think it's a blow to France on the pitch but I certainly salute Barthez for his decision. He may be a buffoon on the pitch but I'm pleasantly surprised by his actions here.

gustavo
25/03/2005, 11:06 PM
- no wonder he didn't do well in the Premiershi* :rolleyes:

Jesus Éanna get that chip off your shoulder! whats that got to do with anything ? :confused:

Thunderblaster
26/03/2005, 8:58 AM
Should Barthez not arrive in Israel with the rest of the French squad for the planned match on Wednesday, Coach Raymond Domenech would need to use his second-string goalie.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3062948,00.html

That is quite stating the obvious.