PDA

View Full Version : Games 6-8th July

RathfarnhamHoop
06/07/2018, 6:33 PM
16 year old Bazunu in goal for Rovers against Cork with Mannus on the bench, big call that. Looks like 3 at the back for Rovers too judging by the teamsheet.

Asterix
06/07/2018, 8:27 PM
https://twitter.com/KENNYTCORK/status/1015327078357532672

He won't be around for much longer.

Dalymountrower
06/07/2018, 8:45 PM
Bohs 1 Swindon on Suir1.
Decent point.

nigel-harps1954
06/07/2018, 8:46 PM
Drogheda 0-1 Harps.

Big result for Harps, and John O'Flynn rolls back the years with a 90th minute winner in United Park. Unreal. If our home form was as good as our away form, we'd be top of the league..

MattB11
06/07/2018, 8:46 PM
John O Flynn scores a 90th minute winner for Harps in Drogheda

White Horse
06/07/2018, 8:47 PM
I’ve always had a soft spot for Shamrock Rovers.

patrickccfc
16 year old Bazunu in goal for Rovers against Cork with Mannus on the bench, big call that. Looks like 3 at the back for Rovers too judging by the teamsheet.

And he was excellent. Pulled off a few great saves including a penalty. Very frustrating night for us, rovers came for the point and got it. Dundalk 4 clear now

placid casual
He's only 16, he's only 16..
In my honest opinion cork are a good bit behind dundalk (with Rovers a bit behind cork).
Good point at the champions none the less.

pineapple stu
Feisty game in the Bowl; quite enjoyable.

If Longford win tomorrow, there's one point separating second and fifth

ToberonaTornado
06/07/2018, 8:50 PM
Cheers shams,those posters/banners obv worked :D

sbgawa
06/07/2018, 9:17 PM
Peno was a def peno but thought the ref was very poor gave numerous frees and 50 50s to cork. Decent point with pats losing and Waterford drawing I suppose

White Horse
06/07/2018, 9:26 PM
Pats were excellent tonight and deserved a point from that game. Gary Rodgers pulled off three suberb saves to deny Pats.

Pats controlled a lot of possession in midfield and tested Dundalk much better than Cork last week.

Fitness levels have really improved in Inchicore as well.

oriel
06/07/2018, 9:47 PM
And he was excellent. Pulled off a few great saves including a penalty. Very frustrating night for us, rovers came for the point and got it. Dundalk 4 clear now

If ever anything needs reminding of how quickly things can change in football (and it could very well change again the other way in the next few rounds), last Friday morning Dundalk were 1 point behind and if Cork had won they would have gone 4 clear, now its Dundalk who are 4 ahead.

Didn't go to Richmond as heading to Tallinn, but watched most of it on the Skorlive link which wasn't great, Pats looked decent enough value for their lead goal and 1-0 up at HT, Dlk under fair bit of pressure last 10 and two excellent saves by Rogers, breakaway goal in 93rd min, Hoban is in some form.

ToberonaTornado
06/07/2018, 9:59 PM
Pats were excellent tonight and deserved a point from that game. Gary Rodgers pulled off three suberb saves to deny Pats.

Pats controlled a lot of possession in midfield and tested Dundalk much better than Cork last week.

Fitness levels have really improved in Inchicore as well.

impotent until about 10 mins into the 2nd half and then suddenly we got our game together,then lost it and then got it back again! It was a hard watch and a hard fought match.These are the games here when you hook the rosary beads out and pray to Saint Jude.
When crispy Shields scores you know the win is coming!

Ezeikial
07/07/2018, 5:56 AM
It seems incredible to me that the St Pats team we saw play some outstanding football are on a 6 or 7 match losing streak. They have to feel unfortunate not to take a point, especially with a late sublime Gary Rogers save from a cracking free kick by Killian Brennan.

At times, especially in the first half, Dundalk were very poor; yet they mixed it with some moments of brilliance in the second half. Both teams looking to play football (even if they found it difficult for both to do so at the same time!) made for an interesting game for the neutral.

Dundalk were flattered by the 3-1 scoreline by will be very happy with the results of their nights work

micls
07/07/2018, 10:00 AM
Well that was depressing. I said before the game it was a game that could decide if we continue challenging for the league, I think it did. Very disappointing

Had the chances to win it but overall didn't create nearly enough chances. Missed a creative spark.

Bazunu made some incredible saves. Very impressive. Looked dodgy under the high ball though, dropped 2, be interesting to see if he sticks with him for Europe.

Funny to see the rovers view on the ref, looked the exact opposite to us. I think he was just awful. Annoyed both sets of fans.

I was surprised by rovers. They set out very defensively (and defended very well), didn't really push onwards at all at any point. Bazunu was time-wasting from the start, presumably an instruction. Seemed odd for a team that hammered us last time out, but different story away from home I guess. Probably the most possession we had in a game all year!

disgruntled
07/07/2018, 10:02 AM
Frustrating night for City.
Did enough to win but Rovers young keeper was excellent including a brilliant penalty save.
They really have a find there.
Only mistake he made was to drop a simple cross in the 2nd half but there was no one there to take advantage.

Rovers themselves were poor. Came for a point & got it.
Not a single shot on target all night.
I pity poor Carr up front as he got no service whatsoever.

Referee Rob Hennessy was very poor.
Every time City got a free kick the Rovers players would encroach.
Hennessy moves the Rovers players back, Rovers players encroach again, Hennessy moves them back again, Rovers players encroach again.
This went on all night & Hennessy did absolutely nothing about it.

Very frustrating to be watching a referee unable to do his job properly.
Some of the free kicks he gave for both side were 50/50 at best.
Any contact in the penalty area is a free out straight away.
We were amazed he actually gave the penalty.
Very stupid challenge from O'Brien as Sheppard was going nowhere.

The standard of referee in the LOI right now is really poor. Totally inconsistent.
You never know what you're going to get from game to game.

White Horse
07/07/2018, 10:17 AM
Dundalks record for the last 10 games, in case it escaped your attention.

WWWWWWWWWW

White Horse
07/07/2018, 10:20 AM
Bazunu was time-wasting from the start, presumably an instruction. Seemed odd for a team that hammered us last time out, but different story away from home I guess.

McNulty does the same thing at Oriel Park.

I think it is a ploy to antagonise the home team and to encourage an opposition player to abandon their shape and therefore get themselves out of position. One mistake, and one goal usually wins these games.

micls
07/07/2018, 10:24 AM
McNulty does the same thing at Oriel Park.

I think it is a ploy to antagonise the home team and to encourage an opposition player to abandon their shape and therefore get themselves out of position. One mistake, and one goal usually wins these games.

Well, kind of. But, we're generally also coming to Oriel playing to not lose, rather than to win. Similar to rovers last night.

I was just surprised because its the first time Ive seen a Bradley team set up defensively against us. That said, it's also the first time they've taken a point at the Cross in a good while, so it worked.

White Horse
07/07/2018, 10:32 AM
Well, kind of. But, we're generally also coming to Oriel playing to not lose, rather than to win. Similar to rovers last night.

I think your game plan at Oriel is to reduce the game to one or two chances for either side, and rely on your players to take theirs and your defence to stop those from Dundalk.

It is pragmatic and not the same as parking the bus for 90 minutes.

It's hard to know what Bradley's thinking is. It seems to vary from game to game.

micls
07/07/2018, 10:37 AM
Yeah that's fair. As I said, it worked for Bradley. Was just surprised. They offered less than most teams that have come to the Cross. But they're also the only ones who got a point.

placid casual
07/07/2018, 11:15 AM
Have you not answered your own question there then micls?

micls
07/07/2018, 11:17 AM
Have you not answered your own question there then micls?

Wasn't a question as such, I think its fair to say it was the right call from Bradley. I was just surprised as I haven't seen it from then before and considering our last result against then. Might look differently if we'd taken one of our chances, but it certainly worked.

Asterix
07/07/2018, 11:19 AM
Considering Corks home form and our away form it was probably for the best to go for a draw.

pineapple stu
07/07/2018, 8:29 PM
Cobh win in Longford. That's unexpected given Longford's performance last week!

Worth noting our next five games are against the bottom half. Home to Galway and Cabo; away to the others. Then finish with homes against Harps and Drogheda, and a trip to Longford. Could hardly write a better run-in for us.

Course, the Georgie factor is big, though great to see his replacement Mahdy score against Shels.

oriel
07/07/2018, 9:58 PM
I see the latest odds from PP have Dundalk reduced to 2/5 favs. That’s a ridiculous price really given there are 11 games left ? Plus we still have to travel down to TC.

On actual league games, is there a chance both teams will not play in the month of July, pending Dundalk get past Levadia?

micls
08/07/2018, 5:46 AM
I see the latest odds from PP have Dundalk reduced to 2/5 favs. That’s a ridiculous price really given there are 11 games left ? Plus we still have to travel down to TC.

On actual league games, is there a chance both teams will not play in the month of July, pending Dundalk get past Levadia?

Assuming we lose to Legia, we've the 2nd round EL off so should play alright.

oriel
08/07/2018, 8:52 PM
If Dundalk get past Levadia, I think it's possible then then that we'll have no more league games in July, and maybe not until early Aug, in that period Cork might play 2 in between, away Bray on 27/07 and away to Waterford on 03/08.

Things would change of course if Cork got past Legia.

sbgawa
09/07/2018, 7:44 AM
With all the Sh1t the players have had to deal with Limericks win at home to Bray and narrow defeat in Derry as well as Bray's win at home to Sligo last night reflect really well on the players involved.

D24Saint
09/07/2018, 9:46 AM
It seems incredible to me that the St Pats team we saw play some outstanding football are on a 6 or 7 match losing streak. They have to feel unfortunate not to take a point, especially with a late sublime Gary Rogers save from a cracking free kick by Killian Brennan.

At times, especially in the first half, Dundalk were very poor; yet they mixed it with some moments of brilliance in the second half. Both teams looking to play football (even if they found it difficult for both to do so at the same time!) made for an interesting game for the neutral.

Dundalk were flattered by the 3-1 scoreline by will be very happy with the results of their nights work

As a stand alone game very little complaints about how the team played on the night we gave Dundalk a good game. The frustration stems from the pattern that has emerged, we tend to have lots of possession & some great chances but can't score goals at the moment. I think something has to change and fast, seven defeats on the bounce is soul destroying.

sbgawa
09/07/2018, 10:04 AM
I see Conan Byrne on the Greatest league in the world podcast saying he wants to end the losing streak against Wexford in the LSC tonight .......does that count ?
seems a bit like cheating to me.

White Horse
09/07/2018, 10:34 AM
I see Conan Byrne on the Greatest league in the world podcast saying he wants to end the losing streak against Wexford in the LSC tonight .......does that count ?
seems a bit like cheating to me.

When you have lost seven on trot, you'll take any win.

Dalymountrower
09/07/2018, 1:59 PM
Heard there was some class of handbags between disgruntled Sligo fans and management at the Carlisle ground on Sunday.. Very unusual for them, if true.
Will add to what will already be a tense game in Dalymount on Friday.

Ezeikial
09/07/2018, 2:14 PM
Dan Gorman‏
@DanGorman_ (https://twitter.com/DanGorman_)

Sligo Rovers fans tried to force their way into the Sligo changing room to confront backroom staff who'd had a go at them at the end of the match. Bray backtoom staff and Martin Russell had to intervene and eventually persuaded them to leave. #greatestleagueintheworld (https://twitter.com/hashtag/greatestleagueintheworld?src=hash)

https://twitter.com/DanGorman_/status/1016011858988462080

marinobohs
09/07/2018, 2:16 PM
As a stand alone game very little complaints about how the team played on the night we gave Dundalk a good game. The frustration stems from the pattern that has emerged, we tend to have lots of possession & some great chances but can't score goals at the moment. I think something has to change and fast, seven defeats on the bounce is soul destroying.

To be honest I thought Pats display at Dalymount was one of their better displays against us in recent years. But for Supple Pats would have been 2 or 3 up before Bohs scored.

marinobohs
09/07/2018, 2:18 PM
https://twitter.com/DanGorman_/status/1016011858988462080

Wow, disappointing to see, even given the poor results fans have had to suffer.Not something I would associate with Sligo fans.

ToberonaTornado
09/07/2018, 2:23 PM
Heard there was some class of handbags between disgruntled Sligo fans and management at the Carlisle ground on Sunday.. Very unusual for them, if true.
Will add to what will already be a tense game in Dalymount on Friday.

https://cdn-02.independent.ie/incoming/article37096086.ece/2281e/AUTOCROP/w620/1532507.jpg
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/sligo-rovers-goalkeeping-coach-resigns-following-postmatch-altercation-with-fans-37096089.html

Sligo Rovers goalkeeping coach resigns following post-match altercation with fans

NeverFeltBetter
09/07/2018, 2:35 PM
Isn't the Carlisle away stand opposite the dug-outs? So he'd have to have walked across the pitch to get into this altercation?

And Russell had to intervene? When Limerick played there the last time there were Garda and security hovering over away fans the entire game (for no good reason), where were they this time?

Mr A
09/07/2018, 2:37 PM
Bit more on the incident:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhmyWWnWAAAqnFr.jpg

Lim till i die
09/07/2018, 2:43 PM
Yep.

That coach in the picture there certainly looks like he's getting across his disappointment in a measured way leading to a reasoned discussion with supporters about the merits of fandom.

Lord but there are some teeny tiny people involved with running clubs up and down the league.

NeverFeltBetter
09/07/2018, 3:04 PM
While I don't want to comment too much on an event I'm hearing about second or third hand, if the affair went on as that account suggests, it would hardly have been a resignable offence?

sbgawa
09/07/2018, 4:04 PM
Don't want to speculate about an identifiable individual but the way things are in this league there is a reasonable chance the guy was a semi volunteer working for expenses giving of his own time and was ****ed off with people hurling abuse at him and the other backroom staff , ....
For resignation you could probably read .........Why would I bother putting up with this sh1t...
I often wonder why a lot of the people in this league stay in it............I LOVE THE LEAGUE BTW

Charlie Darwin
10/07/2018, 1:30 AM
Wasn't a question as such, I think its fair to say it was the right call from Bradley. I was just surprised as I haven't seen it from then before and considering our last result against then. Might look differently if we'd taken one of our chances, but it certainly worked.
Think you have it right there. We're not good enough to go to Cork and try to dominate. If we sit back and frustrate there's a chance we can nick it. We're not going to close the gap with heroic defeats.

marinobohs
10/07/2018, 2:31 PM
Don't want to speculate about an identifiable individual but the way things are in this league there is a reasonable chance the guy was a semi volunteer working for expenses giving of his own time and was ****ed off with people hurling abuse at him and the other backroom staff , ....
For resignation you could probably read .........Why would I bother putting up with this sh1t...
I often wonder why a lot of the people in this league stay in it............I LOVE THE LEAGUE BTW

Always amuses me how fans abuse/ slag off players coaches etc and go all snowflake when the same people have a go back :mad: not advocating a Cantona or anything :cool: but if you dish out the 'verbals' don't whine when it is dished back.