24/03/2005, 9:36 AM
Kiely plays down United link
by Tom Adams -* created on 23 Mar 2005

Player profiles:
Dean Kiely
Team Pages:
Charlton Athletic
Manchester United

Dean Kiely admits he has been flattered by rumours linking him to Manchester United, although was quick to insist that he was happy at Charlton.

The Republic of Ireland keeper has enjoyed a fruitful season for The Addicks, and has been an ever-present in the side that has risen to seventh in the Premiership.

United are known to be in the market for a keeper, with Roy Carroll set to leave on a free transfer in the summer and Tim Howard failing to impress in the number one shirt.

Kiely's performances have led him to be touted as being ready for a step up, although the 34-year-old insisted that, despite being encouraged by the rumours, he was happy at The Valley.

The Charlton man also expressed his belief that the big sides are often too ready to snap up players on the basis of nationality or name, arguing that these criteria were no guarantee of consistent performance.

"It makes me smile really because my name is Kiely which is Irish not from Argentina, Spain or Brazil or some weird or wonderful name," Kiely told Sky Sports News.

"I think sometimes big clubs feel they have to go for big, big, massive names if you will, but I think they've found over the years that it's not a guarantee someone is going to come in and make the position their own.

"It's great to be mentioned because if you are you're in a band of players that are doing very well in a tough league.

"For me its head down, and work extremely hard for Charlton.

"I'm extremely happy at Charlton, I feel really at home here and hopefully that shows in my performances."

Kiely declared that he is not affected by such rumours, and explained that his association with the London outfit was a long and prosperous one.

The custodian signed from Bury for £1 million in May 1999, and has more than repaid his fee in becoming a cornerstone of Curbishley's side over the years.

"I don't think about [the rumours], until you mentioned it then it plays no part in my thought process at all," Kiely continued.

"Charlton took a chance on me six years ago, I think I've repaid that chance.

"Both parties, if we sat round a table, would be extremely happy with each other's input and what we've done.

"I come to work with a big smile on my face every day and I think that's really

Stuttgart88
24/03/2005, 10:37 AM
The Charlton man also expressed his belief that the big sides are often too ready to snap up players on the basis of nationality or name, arguing that these criteria were no guarantee of consistent performance.

"It makes me smile really because my name is Kiely which is Irish not from Argentina, Spain or Brazil or some weird or wonderful name," Kiely told Sky Sports News.

It seems Deano & I agree on something!

Arsenal should have gone for him years ago but he probably wasn't exotic enough for Wenger (or his goalkeeping advisors).

Deano would walk into the English side IMHO.

dr_peepee
24/03/2005, 7:00 PM
He would too!!

I wouldn't pay too much heed to the united speculation. Depending on what site your reading they're linked with Niemi, Jaaskelinin, toldo, Kemeni etc

I can't see them signing him at 34 with little or no playing experience in Europe (at least when they came in for Alan Kelly he had some excellent performances and international level to rely on)... I'd imagine they'd be in the hunt for someone a bit younger to come in.... And also it would be a double edged sword in that he may well get a season or possibly two out of it but knowing United there's every chance they'll sign someone else very soon and he'll wind up a very good sub playing League cup games to wind down his career. Where as he could well play another 3 or 4 seasons at Charlton...

He's an excellent keeper and i don't know about yous but since he retired every time I see Given take a tumble in a game or read about a probable injury I tremble, even with the potential of Kenny. He's a big loss at international level. There's allot to be said for peace of mind.

P.S A fickle point I know but it was nice to see him acknowledge his Irishness a little bit in the interview. I have to be honest and say that I had him pegged for a bit of a chancer when it came to declaring for Ireland....

Slash/ED
24/03/2005, 7:19 PM
P.S A fickle point I know but it was nice to see him acknowledge his Irishness a little bit in the interview. I have to be honest and say that I had him pegged for a bit of a chancer when it came to declaring for Ireland....

Hardly, he'd have more caps if he played for England, it was never a good 'career move' from him to declare for Ireland, he did it because he wanted to.

tricky_colour
24/03/2005, 7:39 PM
Apart from Schmeicheal most of United goalkeepers have failed to
live up to expectations.

dr_peepee
24/03/2005, 8:00 PM
Hardly, he'd have more caps if he played for England, it was never a good 'career move' from him to declare for Ireland, he did it because he wanted to.

You're dead right he'd have had more caps had he chose England, but that's with the benifit of hind sight.

He made his decision to declare for Ireland in his mid 20's while at Bury. I can't imagine anyone still playing at that level at that stage in their career that could justifyably maintain ambitions to have a serious impact for England. Had he chose England and gone on to win the number of caps his talent deserved he would have definately been the exception to the rule.... And if my granny had balls she'd be my Granda!!! :D

No one could have forecasted the lack of English goal keeping talent back then... Or the strength in depth that we had while Kelly and Keily was still available to us. Just bad timing for him that we had two, and for a while three, excellent goal keepers available to us.

eirebhoy
24/03/2005, 8:04 PM
There's no question that Kiely regards himself as Irish.

Stuttgart88
24/03/2005, 8:20 PM

You're right. No question whatsoever. On BBC at the Paris game it was all "we this, we that" "the Republic this & the Republic that " that you get from the other non-Irish born former player-cum-pundits. You could tell he really meant it.

dr_peepee
24/03/2005, 8:26 PM
I'm sure he does on some level.... And before I get type cast as a plastic paddy hater I'm not. As I said it's about their application once they declare. I've gone on record standing up for the Morrisons and McAteers etc

BUT I have to say that for me to be truly convinced that they're not just trying to capitalise on the jersey for some international football there has to be some level of commitment early on in their career. Ah la The Kilbanes, Breens, Terry Phelans, McGeady even Andy O'Brien (I'm aware of his appearence in white but by all accounts it was under the proviso that it was a non commital game as he stil had to make up his mind.... or so i read)

I'll embrace the Mackens and the Hollands of this world and respect whole heartedly what they bring to the team/squad. But I think it's fair to say for some players, that had the call come from Graham Tayler, Hoddle, Keegan, Erikson when they were 21 they would have taken it.

Sure Mark Lawrenson has more or less said that he only declared for Ireland because he was at Preston at the time and hadn't forecast the club career he ended up with.

Am I being unfair? Maybe.... But I think I'm being realistic.
Once they're in the green, or even if they're considering it, I'm the same as most of yiz checking their club progress on the net or teletext.(What's the craic with Liam Lawrence by the way?)

Greenbod
25/03/2005, 8:57 AM

Shame he won't let himself be considered for selection for his country. Don't understand it myself.

tetsujin1979
25/03/2005, 9:28 AM
Shame he won't let himself be considered for selection for his country. Don't understand it myself.

I reckon he felt he was never going to get a fair crack of the whip while Given is still playing. There's few keepers in the premiership (possibly the world) that would take Given's regular starting spot, even with Kerr's statement that he wants to give all players experience, in a competitive international, he's still never started with any keeper other than Given

Greenbod
25/03/2005, 9:33 AM
I reckon he felt he was never going to get a fair crack of the whip while Given is still playing. There's few keepers in the premiership (possibly the world) that would take Given's regular starting spot, even with Kerr's statement that he wants to give all players experience, in a competitive international, he's still never started with any keeper other than Given

He's not likely to pick me either, but I'm still available for selection! ;)

carricksmasher
25/03/2005, 9:35 AM
cannot see him leaving charlton at this stage of his career. Saw charlton play at home a few weeks ago and he is adored down there, not bad for a piltown man ;)