PDA

View Full Version : Most improved programme in EL - watch out for it!!

Pages : [1] 2

Cosmo
23/03/2005, 2:07 PM
From the Irish League Forums review of programmes page

Drogs Digest - Drogheda United v Derry City
A "wee nosey" at an programme offering south of the border. This is "Drogs Digest", from Drogheda's opening Eircom League game to Derry City, from Friday night last.

Costing 2 euros and 50c this is a really professional and super production. It looks and feels like the (Man) United Review from a few seasons ago - it is that good - much superior to anything in the Irish League ....

With 56 pages (!) and 90% colour, it includes the Chairman's message, Managers page, fixtures, editors page, club directory, club news, Inside United Park (a two-page look at what makes the club "tick" on matchday, a League pre-view, Year View Mirror (a look back in time), Previous Encounters, a piece on Derry C v Linfield, 4 pages of action shots, 2005 squad pics, Get to know (look at individual players), Fan's Profile, Have Yer Say, On the Road (how to support the team away), three page feature on visitors, spot the difference, quiz and trivia pages, todays line-ups ..... Phew ....

It would take more than the fifteen minute HT break to get through all of this, simply on a different plane .....

Schumi
23/03/2005, 2:16 PM
With 56 pages
Wow! Fair play, I assume it's not 50 pages of ads though!

Cosmo
23/03/2005, 2:35 PM
You wouldn't even notice the ads tbh - its a great read as anyone that has seen it so far will confirm im sure. Just make sure ye get a copy of it when ye come down and see for yourself - i would agree with the comparison to Uniteds Programme. If they keep this up for the rest of the season, Programme of the Year could be on the cards (better than last years cork programme imo)

Gareth
23/03/2005, 2:53 PM
Just to say, the Shelbourne Programme this season looks liek a very good publication and is improving each game. Keep an eye out for it. New commitee and they are doing a sterling job so far!!

Cosmo
23/03/2005, 2:55 PM
Saw it last week, not as good as the drogs one though ;)

Schumi
23/03/2005, 2:57 PM
You wouldn't even notice the ads tbh
Don't let the advertisers see that!

patsh
23/03/2005, 2:59 PM
Drogs have LONG way to go to come up to the standard on the City Matchday Magazine!

But fair play to them for any improvements they make, because their program for the last few seasons was complete sh*te!....:p

De Town
23/03/2005, 3:04 PM
Well done to Drogs, every time I have been up there before it has been pure crap but it sounds like ye have improved!

Congrats :)

Cosmo
23/03/2005, 3:12 PM
Totally agree, its been brutal the last few seasons, but the bloke that used do it a few years ago when it was good (ie the A4 size programme) is back doing it.

Patsh, it is better than last seasons Cork City programme (obviously havent seen this years one yet ;) ).

Btw always though the Rovers programme from last season was better in content than the city programme (just!!), but the city programme was better overall (presentation always looked top class)

De Town
23/03/2005, 3:13 PM
Btw always though the Rovers programme from last season was better in content than the city programme (just!!), but the city programme was better overall (presentation always looked top class)
Do they have 1 :confused:

A face
23/03/2005, 3:24 PM
it is better than last seasons Cork City programme (obviously havent seen this years one yet ;)

You know that that is a big ask yeah !?!!?!
City Edition to be fair is fair better than alot of programmes you get across the pond, fair play on the improvement .... and is one part of the "matchday experience" that should be improved by all eL clubs.

We'll wait and see anyway.

Cosmo
23/03/2005, 3:32 PM
'You know that that is a big ask yeah !?!!?!'

Yeah I'm one of the few drogs that make the trip on a regular basis :rolleyes: . Cork's one is a great programme and I know the editor of the drogs one looked at that one closely as the standard that the drogs one had to be!!

centre mid
23/03/2005, 3:33 PM
Bray have an improved the programme - bit more colour and extra pages - also launched new website aswell - check it out www.braywanderers.ie

James
23/03/2005, 3:51 PM
they are doing a sterling job so far!!
typical brit loving money grabbing $h£l$ bastads
hahaha :D

Roo69
23/03/2005, 4:19 PM
Bray have an improved the programme - bit more colour and extra pages - also launched new website aswell - check it out www.braywanderers.ie

Both are only going to get better as well

Cosmo
23/03/2005, 4:29 PM
Good stuff - good to see some clubs are improving. Our programme, waterfords and bohs programmes werent great last season - any word on any improvements with those two? . Hopefully we'll see an improvement in the ones that struggled last season.

I thought brays was alright for a 1st division programme last season (only saw one copy of it though) - though i suppose you're with the big boys now ;)

De Town
23/03/2005, 6:00 PM
Bray have an improved the programme - bit more colour and extra pages
I saw the programme from the Pats game last friday, its OK, nothing special, a lot of ads but I supose doesnt every 1 :o Wouldn't be the worst programme I have ever seen in the eL but a long way off the best.

Sonic
23/03/2005, 8:19 PM
Well done to Drogs, every time I have been up there before it has been pure crap but it sounds like ye have improved!

Congrats :)

wat about ours DE TOWN its pure crap.

De Town
23/03/2005, 8:28 PM
wat about ours DE TOWN its pure crap.
I know, its disimproved from last year. Way too many ads :mad: I like the player profiles though :)

pete
23/03/2005, 9:32 PM
IMO match day programmes can only be judged on a full season. Probably easy enough to pull off a once off.

Shamrock Rovers one was very good last i saw (i don't buy away day programmes anymore as predominantly sh!te) but that was mainly cos of the content but that not much interest to non-rovers folks.

City match day mag is best in league for presentation & professional feel.

A face
23/03/2005, 10:02 PM
IMO match day programmes can only be judged on a full season. Probably easy enough to pull off a once off.

Shamrock Rovers one was very good last i saw (i don't buy away day programmes anymore as predominantly sh!te) but that was mainly cos of the content but that not much interest to non-rovers folks.

City match day mag is best in league for presentation & professional feel.

Another thing that the lads having been doing aswell is including articles in each programme that the away team would have an interest in, either about something or someone in the league or the history between the two clubs and a few more bits and pieces, etc, .... to be honest, that is what i'd buy a programme for, when there is something that i'd be interested in inside it.

colblimp
23/03/2005, 10:27 PM
I always buy a programme, from every game I go to. I did for the first game I ever went to, an England V Wales U16 international in 1976 right up until the last game I went to, Finn Harps V Cork City, last Saturday night.

Although Corks programme is the best effort I've seen in Ireland, it no way matches some programmes I've seen in England! OK, there is more money, effort and contributors in programme production over the water, but more pages would be an improvement to start with in City Edition. After saying all that I still think Citys programme is top class, and this isn't meant as a criticism, I'm just putting my opinion across.

Keep up the good work...ALL programme editors. :)

ilovejam
24/03/2005, 5:46 PM
Just to say, the Shelbourne Programme this season looks liek a very good publication and is improving each game. Keep an eye out for it. New commitee and they are doing a sterling <A TITLE="Click for more information about job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VDw">job</A> so far!!
i thought the Shels programme was crap. Well for an away fan anyway, there was nothing whatsoever about the visiting team. Is this the usual or just because it was first game?

De Town
24/03/2005, 5:59 PM
i thought the Shels programme was crap. Well for an away fan anyway, there was nothing whatsoever about the visiting team. Is this the usual or just because it was first game?
Yeah, any time I have got a programme in Shels they have always been poor enough :(

Éanna
24/03/2005, 6:03 PM
never been that impressed by shels programme. its not the worst, but its nowhere near the best IMO

De Town
24/03/2005, 6:06 PM
But, lets be honest here. Most of the programmes in the League are crap bar Cork. Now it sounds like Drogs have made a step in the right direction but every club needs to be doing that.

Our programme has gone up to €3 from €2 last season. Its crap! For what your paying, its not a good programme, you would have it read in 5 minutes, what about the other 10 minutes during half time :D

harpskid
24/03/2005, 6:40 PM
$hel$ didn't even produce a programme when we played them in the cup last year :mad:

Slash/ED
24/03/2005, 8:04 PM

UCD were asked and failed to deliver their squad pen pics to the commitee I'm told, so you have to look at your own side for why there was so little on UCD.

Longfordian
24/03/2005, 8:27 PM
But, lets be honest here. Most of the programmes in the League are crap bar Cork. Now it sounds like Drogs have made a step in the right direction but every club needs to be doing that.

Our programme has gone up to €3 from €2 last season. Its crap! For what your paying, its not a good programme, you would have it read in 5 minutes, what about the other 10 minutes during half time :D

For some reason €3 was put on the programme but as far as I know that was wrong and they were only charging €2. Originally there were plans to make it free I think hence the lack of urgency on articles methinks. I've said it before but the programme like a lot of things in our club suffers from feck all people being willing to help out with anything. Seriously there's about 3 people work on the thing regularly

pineapple stu
24/03/2005, 8:29 PM
UCD were asked and failed to deliver their squad pen pics to the commitee I'm told, so you have to look at your own side for why there was so little on UCD.
Who was asked? Terry O'Neill contacted me the last time and I sent pen pictures promptly - don't see why he couldn't have asked me again?

Slash/ED
24/03/2005, 10:29 PM
Who was asked? Terry O'Neill contacted me the last time and I sent pen pictures promptly - don't see why he couldn't have asked me again?

I'm not on the commitee so I haven't a clue I'm only going by what was said.

Gareth
24/03/2005, 10:58 PM
Terry is gone over a year now!

Cosmo
25/03/2005, 11:21 AM
'$hel$ didn't even produce a programme when we played them in the cup last year'

Probably cos there was f*ck all at it ( i remember being at it, straight after the depotivo match yeah?, and the there were as many harps fans a shels - pathetic!!).

Btw drogs programme is 2.50e (are we now the dearest programme in the league?), but seriously it's well worth it!!

Carlin
25/03/2005, 12:11 PM
Btw drogs programme is 2.50e (are we now the dearest programme in the league?),

Bohs one is 3 euro.

GalwayFrancis
25/03/2005, 2:30 PM
Bohs one is 3 euro.

is it worth it?

De Town
25/03/2005, 2:43 PM
is it worth it?
No :(

The Donie Forde
25/03/2005, 4:06 PM

Genuine query, Cosmo: how many CCFC issues would you have seen last season to arrive at that opinion? Or how many Rovers' for that matter? We were regularly belting 3-4,000 word articles, that's serious work, trust me. Depends how you judge 'content,' I suppose...

Donie

Cosmo
26/03/2005, 10:30 AM
Got about 6 or 7 rovers ones (only 2 cork ones) - dont get me wrong Donie, the cork one was top notch and deserved to win programme of the year (thus why the editor of the drogs one looked towards the cork programme this season as he saw it as the benchmark) but i thought the rovers one had some brilliant articles, only my opinion (all rovers related though :eek: )

Gareth
26/03/2005, 10:34 AM
Three euro though is a bit steep, no?

I am saying this cos I brought just enough money for a ticket and a programme assuming programmes would be 2.50 max. I was sorely wrong and had no programme :(

sullanefc
26/03/2005, 11:50 AM
Btw drogs programme is 2.50e (are we now the dearest programme in the league?), but seriously it's well worth it!!

City Edition is 2.50 as was the Finn Harps program last saturday

Carlin
26/03/2005, 3:04 PM
is it worth it?

No.

The Pats programme was a decent production last night as it happened. Looks good at first glance and a decent read.

pineapple stu
27/03/2005, 1:01 PM
Terry is gone over a year now!
Fair enough, but continuation surely! Yez got profiles off me last time, so I don't see why you couldn't have contacted me this time...as much your fault as ours (asuming you contacted someone else who didn't reply) I'm afraid.

Anyway, you know for next time!

Cosmo
27/03/2005, 2:04 PM
Pineapple Stu, ffs whats the story with your programme this season :confused:

pineapple stu
27/03/2005, 5:37 PM
Pineapple Stu, ffs whats the story with your programme this season :confused:
Was waiting for that!

Club are taking it over again...they're looking to get it up to 24 pages, so from Friday's programme, you're looking at an extra four pages of ads and four pages of text. Basically, they think the programme should have no other purpose other than to generate money for the club. Apparently some of the artwork was screwed up as well, but it ain't going to be getting much better by the sounds of it. We (the Supporters' Club, who did the programme the last two years) pointed out that content-wise the new prorgamme sounds, well, crap, but they don't really mind about that.

Bray Head
27/03/2005, 6:12 PM
Cork's programme on Friday was a double for the Bray (league) & Shels (Setanta cup on Monday). Very professional and good except for the fact that there is nothing about Bray in it. Shels are featured. All programmes should have something about the visitors. Still trying to figure out what Damien Richardson's article is all about.

BobtheDrog
27/03/2005, 6:32 PM
Was waiting for that!

Club are taking it over again...they're looking to get it up to 24 pages, so from Friday's programme, you're looking at an extra four pages of ads and four pages of text. Basically, they think the programme should have no other purpose other than to generate money for the club. Apparently some of the artwork was screwed up as well, but it ain't going to be getting much better by the sounds of it. We (the Supporters' Club, who did the programme the last two years) pointed out that content-wise the new prorgamme sounds, well, crap, but they don't really mind about that.

i shelled out 2 euro for that, never again

The Donie Forde
27/03/2005, 7:33 PM
Cork's programme on Friday was a double for the Bray (league) & Shels (Setanta cup on Monday). Very professional and good except for the fact that there is nothing about Bray in it. Shels are featured. All programmes should have something about the visitors. Still trying to figure out what Damien Richardson's article is all about.

Hi, Bray Head. Thanks for your comments.

In response, I apologise unreservedly for the lack of Bray penpix as I have done already to Jack O'Neill and Mícheál Ó hUanacháin. We got our wires crossed at this end as to who was sourcing the Bray material and didn't realise the situation until wrap-up, by which time it was too late. I guarantee, if I am still involved with City Edition, that this will not happen again for your next visit in September. Incidentally, there is no more helpful club to deal with in the country than Bray for supplying programme-related material.

We also had to pull back another article when certain official + Setanta stuff had to be included - we found out about this on Tuesday evening, just a few hours before wrap-up...

Donie

Cosmo
28/03/2005, 12:37 PM
'We (the Supporters' Club, who did the programme the last two years) pointed out that content-wise the new prorgamme sounds, well, crap, but they don't really mind about that.'

Got your programme v cork in cup last season and content wise i thought it was very good for a 1st division club - programme on friday was an embarrassment

pineapple stu
28/03/2005, 4:43 PM
Got your programme v Cork in cup last season and content wise I thought it was very good for a 1st division club
Why the Cork game? Were you not at the Drogs game? I know you get around the grounds, but even still! :)

I always liked our programme. Not enough colour or pictures for some fans, but always something to read. Nothing we can do about it now though - you'll just have to buy the fanzine instead!

harpskid
28/03/2005, 11:57 PM
I think that our programme has come on leaps and bounds this last few years - we've got colour this year and as a result the price has gone up to €2.50.

We have the usual stuff like the chairman's welcome, manager's page, club stats, league stats and ads. Also we have a look back at old games with that night's opponents and profile the away team's players. Also, an interview with someone past or present connected with the club and then Harping On which is a fan's view of the latest happenings and then for the grand finale ;) my own piece - a season diary.

From this week on, the programme will be extended by 4 pages, taking it to 36.