Cobh Ramblers v Athlone Town
Longford Town v Drogheda United
Shelbourne FC v Cabinteeley FC
Finn Harps v UCDAFC - 8pm
Wexford FC v Galway United - 8pm

-------------------------------------------------------

sbgawa
15/06/2018, 7:19 AM
Graham burkes last match for rovers (until 2028) sign off with a Roy of the rovers hat trick :);)

nr637
15/06/2018, 9:00 AM
Des Cahill on RTE Radio 1 Sports news at 8.30am this morning, questioned the decision by the league to put fixtures on with WC fixtures like Portugal vs Spain on all domestic TV channels tonight. He seemed very surprised, especially when the opening game has just reminded people that the event kicked off and has probably convinced fans to check out the games on TV worth watching. It must surely affect the games attendance tonight, but I'll be there!

sbgawa
15/06/2018, 9:19 AM
Its a pity there is such an attractive match on directly up against the LOI fixtures tonight (Portugal v Spain).
Has to affect attendances but so be it we could hardly postpone matches for a month.

Nesta99
15/06/2018, 4:33 PM
Tonights game in the Brandywell is a real banana skin for Dundalk. With Cork's home form they are unlikely not to beat Bohs. Derry off the back of a win might have stopped the rot and all the pressure is on Dundalk not to go in to break with a gap of 5 points. Such a scenario would make the first game back after the break a nightmare if it is a must win for Dundalk. We havent put to bed the hoodoo against Cork regardless of the win in Oriel. Even if things do go with the form guide this evening then Cork are going to set up very defensively in Oriel Park in a couple of weeks as a draw would be a good result but for a game on TV it wont be the best of fare. A Dundalk attacking masterclass on the other hand with a win would deepen the respective perceptions of the two clubs among the media et al! Would be the ideal time for Cork to prove people wrong and set up positively and have a go!!

brendy_éire
15/06/2018, 5:10 PM
Tonights game in the Brandywell is a real banana skin for Dundalk.

It's not. We still can't defend.

Dalymountrower
15/06/2018, 7:23 PM
Pats in freefall, 2 down at home to Sligo

pineapple stu
15/06/2018, 8:20 PM
If the First Division games could end now, the title seems close to over

Longfordian
15/06/2018, 8:41 PM
If the First Division games could end now, the title seems close to over

Looks like it unless we go and beat ye in Belfield which is unlikely. Incredibly close in the 2-5 spots though.

patrickccfc
15/06/2018, 8:50 PM
What a massive goal that was for us. No matter how poor we can be, we still find it in us to get the win

micls
15/06/2018, 8:53 PM
Would be the ideal time for Cork to prove people wrong and set up positively and have a go!!

Yed love that! We've only lost 1 of the last 9 against ye. Changing the very effective way we play against ye, to prove people wrong, is not high on the agenda.

You cannot beat a last minute goal in terms of excitement. Everyone absolutely lost the plot. Love this team.

micls
15/06/2018, 8:58 PM
The contrast between the last 2 Bohs subs was hilarious. Before we scored their lad being subbed pretended he couldn't see the board, bent over, walked as slowly as humanly possible. Must have take 2 minutes to get him off the pitch. Then we scored, they immediately make another sub and he sprints off in 5 seconds flat.

Nothing unexpected or anything given the circumstances but was just funny within 2 minutes of each other.

Nesta99
15/06/2018, 8:59 PM
Yed love that! We've only lost 1 of the last 9 against ye. Changing the very effective way we play against ye, to prove people wrong, is not high on the agenda.

Not takin that bait then, nah nor would I!! LOL

pineapple stu
15/06/2018, 9:03 PM
Looks like it unless we go and beat ye in Belfield which is unlikely. Incredibly close in the 2-5 spots though.
Where Georgie Kelly plays after 1st July will impact things too of course. But we've overcome a rough patch (defeats in Galway and Cabo - middle of exams) to pick up two really good wins on the trot, and only ye of the top six winning tonight is a huge bonus.

If we can keep Kelly on loan as suggested - though I don't think it's happening - the Cup would be interesting. I think there's a big gap between the two divisions now, but with Bray and Limerick broke, Pat's in freefall, Derry haemorrhaging goals and Bohs seemingly about to lose their best player, it'd be interesting to see how we'd compare against a lower-half side.

brendy_éire
15/06/2018, 9:04 PM
It's not. We still can't defend.

As I said....

Pathetic stuff again. Dundalk didn't even get out of first gear.
I can accept being beaten by better sides, but the number of goals we're shipping is unacceptable. Even back in the likes of 2003, when we barely finished second from bottom, we didn't concede the same number as we have been.

I'm neutral as to whether Shiels stays or not. At best.

dong
15/06/2018, 9:24 PM
3 nil flattered us a bit but we were strangely clinical there tonight. Pats had a decent shout for a penalty turned down and missed a couple of good chances too.
Truly bizarre refereeing again for a couple of incidents. McCleans booking was just wrong for example but thats pretty much par for the course in this league I suppose.

sbgawa
15/06/2018, 9:24 PM
Great send off for burkey tonight. Scored one and if soccer republic deign to show it had a superb 30 yard free kick smash off the join of post and bar. Very good second half by rovers could have been a couple more. Pitch much improved on first visit and limericks see have a shot at passing bohs

oriel
15/06/2018, 9:35 PM
Excellent result for Dundalk, but would agree with BE above we didn't really have to up the gears. I think to be fair on Derry they were missing a lot of players, but their defending wasn't great.

Sounded like Cork were quite dogged, but all decent teams can grind out wins, and thats what they do, we can all enjoy the WC now and sit back and take a break.

All roads leading to Oriel Park in 2 weeks, going to be some night, so much at stake, live on rte and the first day break from the WC too.

TonyD
15/06/2018, 9:48 PM
3 nil flattered us a bit but we were strangely clinical there tonight. Pats had a decent shout for a penalty turned down and missed a couple of good chances too.
Truly bizarre refereeing again for a couple of incidents. McCleans booking was just wrong for example but thats pretty much par for the course in this league I suppose.

We were shocking to be honest. Funnily enough I thought we'd started well, but then we concede from the first real Sligo attack. Then a Penalty shout turned down, Sligo go down the other end and score a second. think you had four chances and scored three. In fairness Sligo worked hard at closing us down, that's all teams have to do now to beat us it seems. We had a lot of the ball but were just inept. Third goal was keystone cops stuff, but the game was up by then. Don't know how we've gone from putting 5 past Derry to the muck that we served up tonight. We need a midfield, and a decent striker, at least. I'm just hoping we can stay clear of the relegation places at this stage. Disgusted.

brendy_éire
15/06/2018, 10:01 PM
Don't know how we've gone from putting 5 past Derry to the muck that we served up tonight.

It's Derry, don't flatter yourselves.

Longfordian
15/06/2018, 10:30 PM
Where Georgie Kelly plays after 1st July will impact things too of course. But we've overcome a rough patch (defeats in Galway and Cabo - middle of exams) to pick up two really good wins on the trot, and only ye of the top six winning tonight is a huge bonus.

If we can keep Kelly on loan as suggested - though I don't think it's happening - the Cup would be interesting. I think there's a big gap between the two divisions now, but with Bray and Limerick broke, Pat's in freefall, Derry haemorrhaging goals and Bohs seemingly about to lose their best player, it'd be interesting to see how we'd compare against a lower-half side.

Cabo have beaten almost all of the sides above them I think, oddly enough. That’s Galway, Harps and Drogs as direct rivals we’ve beaten in our last four with last week’s annoying loss to Cabo in there too. We’re picking up injuries now however and we didn’t have a big squad to start with. Could do with getting a couple in.

El-Pietro
15/06/2018, 10:41 PM
Genuinely thought we played well tonight. Could have won by three or four. Very good start. Bohs held on and worked hard to keep it tight. Lots of sneaky jersey pulls and lots of the dark arts. Ref let everything go, so they kept at it as they were right to do.
Great to get the goal late when it looked like it might never come and even better than great to get a really good half hour out of Gearoid. He's been out a good while now.

ToberonaTornado
15/06/2018, 11:16 PM
Dundalk hosed home tonight without a sweat hardly raised in anger.
Derry are in a steep decline.Granted they have injury issues and taking in to mind the loss of Curtis also but they were terrible.
Very poor attendance there also.
Duffy's goal and how he played shut down the grief he was getting from a few in the ceowd.Some player,some goal.

El-Pietro
15/06/2018, 11:31 PM
It's Derry, don't flatter yourselves.
Backed Dundalk -1 and -2 at half time tonight. Partly cos I know what Dundalk can do. But mostly cos Derry have a soft centre that collapses once they concede.
It's a pity to see. Ye can be so much better.

sbgawa
16/06/2018, 6:56 AM
16 year old Gavin bazuna had a super game. 1 great save and did everything tyhat was asked of him.
Super distribution as well. Been with the academy since he was 11 or 12, some prospect

White Horse
16/06/2018, 7:53 AM
Lots of sneaky jersey pulls and lots of the dark arts. Ref let everything go, so they kept at it as they were right to do.

I noticed the same thing in games against Bohs this season. It slows down the opposition and stops them working through the gears. It’s obviously coached as it is done with a subtlety so that the ref doesn’t stop play.

Great win for Cork, if they weren’t actually a point ahead I’d say they were hanging on to the pace Dundalk were setting.

We’re getting better and better as the season goes on. Adorjan is going to have a real impact after the break and Hoban is a goal machine. His stats are up there with Maguire’s last season.

micls
16/06/2018, 7:56 AM
It was very effective and very frustrating. It was blatant at times and the ref did nothing. He was awful last night.

Adjoran looks a good player alright.

Was brilliant for us to be able to bring Morrissey back in last night. Good timing. He changed the game when he came on, and scored the goal. Good competition in that position now as Jimmy is playing great too.

Nesta99
16/06/2018, 10:02 AM
Cork should get a bohs like dark arts coach on board as maybe they'd be miles ahead if it wasnt for their virtuous ethic!

disgruntled
16/06/2018, 12:06 PM
Cork should get a bohs like dark arts coach on board as maybe they'd be miles ahead if it wasnt for their virtuous ethic!

Says the man whose club is coached by the grand master of the dark arts Vinny Perth :D

blueblood
16/06/2018, 12:35 PM
16 year old Gavin bazuna had a super game. 1 great save and did everything tyhat was asked of him.
Super distribution as well. Been with the academy since he was 11 or 12, some prospect
Is that the goalkeeper? In fairness the keeper had not much to do all night, I can remember 1 save in the first half

Nesta99
16/06/2018, 12:54 PM
Says the man whose club is coached by the grand master of the dark arts Vinny Perth :D

We are ok with tackling!!;)

Ezeikial
16/06/2018, 3:06 PM

Vinny will be delighted to read that!

trevy
16/06/2018, 3:23 PM
0 0 draw in front of a small crowd in Bray last night and at least half were Blues fans. Bray were decent with ex Waterford player Corey Galvin very lively for them. Waterford didn't deserve more than a point from game.

sbgawa
16/06/2018, 9:56 PM
Is that the goalkeeper? In fairness the keeper had not much to do all night, I can remember 1 save in the first half

Had a couple to make but also claimed a couple of corners ......We have a low bar to clear this year , he cleared it comfortably...

Ezeikial
16/06/2018, 11:24 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Kenny Sheils has totally flipped

His post match interviews tend to be bizarre, but excusing his players for getting needless yellow cards for indiscipline and then complaining about suspensions is setting the bar at a new level.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06b8b43

Nesta99
17/06/2018, 9:11 PM
Dundalk dont get bookings! In the world of Kenny Sheils maybe tackling isnt fair and every club should follow Cork's example of not challenging for a ball. As Derry fans have said on here - defend! get a defensive coach on board or would that mean not winning the right way?