PDA

View Full Version : Songs of The year (so far)

gustavo
22/03/2005, 1:43 PM
The Bravery - Honest Mistake
Athlete - Wires
Kaiser Chiefs - Oh My God
Interpol - Evil

Pat O' Banton
22/03/2005, 2:10 PM
Athlete - Wires
Interpol - Evil

ish
No
Definately not, never trust a non ska band that have a hat, it always strikes me as a having to make up for a lack of something.
Yes superb.

Also Black and White Town, The Doves

Gareth
22/03/2005, 2:17 PM
Was Antics not last year?

Pronane, I think you either need to pick up a few cds or your liking a whole different type of music.

noby
22/03/2005, 2:34 PM
Definately not, never trust a non ska band that have a hat, it always strikes me as a having to make up for a lack of something.

Is that directed at kaiser chiefs? are they a 'ska' band? I've only heard their two singles, and prefer the other one (I predict a riot)

Gareth
22/03/2005, 2:36 PM
The entire album isnt bad at all. But I hope my song of the year will come of the QOTSA album I have beside me. Cant wait to listen to it!!

gustavo
22/03/2005, 2:37 PM
i think antics was released last year but afaik evil was released in january
what songs would you pick then pronane!

tiktok
22/03/2005, 3:01 PM
Athlete - Wires
Interpol - Evil

I would have thought Evil was last year too, but if not, it's definitely up there.
Can take or leave Kaiser Chiefs so far.

Mine would be:
The Subways - Oh Yeah (in Dublin with the Chalets this Sat. should be class)
Jem - They
Bright Eyes - First day of my life
Rilo Kiley - Portions for foxes
Interpol - Evil
Bloc Party - So here we are
The Bucket - Kings of Leon

Gareth
22/03/2005, 3:10 PM
When are the Chalets releasing their debut album? Where are they playing on Saturday. I am around doing nothing so I may go. The Bucket is DEFINATELY a last year release :) I think :)

Bright Eyes is a real grower.

Gareth
22/03/2005, 3:19 PM
I meant that to know them bands you would have to pick up a few cds or change your music tastes maybe :)

As for foreigner, I was expecting you to say slipknot :)

tiktok
22/03/2005, 3:19 PM
When are the Chalets releasing their debut album? Where are they playing on Saturday. I am around doing nothing so I may go. The Bucket is DEFINATELY a last year release :) I think :)

Bright Eyes is a real grower.

The Bucket probably was actually, I've no concept of time when it comes to tunes, nearly dropped last week when I found out that 'Today' by the Smashing Pumpkins was 13 years ago

anyway, to the chalets questions.....
www.hotpress.com

The Chalets’ profile continues to rise with one of their songs making it onto the soundtrack of the new Owen Williams film, The Wedding Crashers.

Premiering in the States in July, the rom-com features the not inconsiderable talents of Vince Vaughn, Rachel McAdams, Will Ferrell, Jane Seymour and Christopher Walken.

Meanwhile, the Meteor Award winners are the featured session act this month of John Kelly’s Mystery Tour, and are about to embark on a co-headlining UK and Irish tour with The Subways that stops-off in the Dublin Village on March 26.

On the record front, the quintet have a new single, ‘Feel The Machine’, ready to go in April with their debut album following in the summer.

Pat O' Banton
22/03/2005, 3:24 PM
Is that directed at kaiser chiefs? are they a 'ska' band? I've only heard their two singles, and prefer the other one (I predict a riot)

Kasier Cheifs defo not a ska band and the oranganist / synth geez has a hat, so, partly on that basis, I'm saying no to the Kasier Cheifs (think ther music is fairly bland as well)

Gareth
22/03/2005, 3:32 PM
13 years ago. Dear god.

I think I may go to that gig for a larf!

Babysis
22/03/2005, 4:05 PM
Ive got the Kaiser Chiefs and The Futureheads albums at home waiting to be listened too. Also getting Bloc Party's album and the Bravery. I like I predict a Riot, but its not a song of the year.

For sheer badness id say the ressurection of "Is this the Way to Amarillo" :D

CollegeTillIDie
22/03/2005, 6:37 PM
Waiting For a Star to Fall is a great song... but not the 2005 version by whatever their name is.
The Boy Meets Girl 1987 Version ( by the songwriters themselves)
Apparently Whitney Houston turned down the song. So they recorded it themselves and had a Top 10 hit virtually worldwide with it.
This is the same woman who married thug Bobby Brown and has had Cocaine problems in recent years. SO the term Questionable judgement springs to mind.

CollegeTillIDie
22/03/2005, 6:39 PM
So tonight I'm gonna party like it's post 999 :D

Babysis
23/03/2005, 8:19 AM
Oh and "confusion" by the Zutons. is on one of the car ads. Great song, great album. :)

tetsujin1979
23/03/2005, 10:17 AM
CLub Foot by Kasabian is getting re-released. Quality tune

Babysis
23/03/2005, 10:19 AM
Really starting to like their album. Thought it was a bit samesy to start, but its a grower

joeSoap
23/03/2005, 10:42 AM
At the risk of being called sad.....I think the new stereophonics album; Language.Sex. Violence.Other? is class..........Dakota is a super single.

Babysis
23/03/2005, 10:49 AM
At the risk of being called sad.....I think the new stereophonics album; Language.Sex. Violence.Other? is class..........Dakota is a super single.

There is nothing wrong with the phonics. Ive all their albums so far. Really like them. Admittedly their first two were i think the best. Didnt like the last one. Getting the new one next week.

gustavo
23/03/2005, 10:53 AM
yeah dakota is another good one i probably shudnt have omitted its a real departure from them apparently the album is more of that and the next single superman i think , is supposed to be really good.

tiktok
23/03/2005, 11:00 AM
There is nothing wrong with the phonics. Ive all their albums so far. Really like them. Admittedly their first two were i think the best. Didnt like the last one. Getting the new one next week.

Word gets around is still a great Album IMO, and Dakota is a good tune, shame it's being played to death though, overexposure to Kelly's voice is what stopped me buying anything from them since 'The bartender and the thief'

Babysis
23/03/2005, 11:08 AM
They are one of the bands I want to see live but have never got round to seeing. They didnt do the festivals I was at the last 2 years. :(

Thomo
23/03/2005, 7:48 PM
razorlight - somewhere else

De Town
23/03/2005, 7:50 PM
The Killers - Somebody Told Me - QUALITY :)

Réiteoir
23/03/2005, 8:22 PM
Modest Mouse - Float On - Great piece of music.

The latest offering from New Order (Waiting for the Sirens Call) is a great album :cool:

Frankie
24/03/2005, 9:53 AM
The Bravery - Honest Mistake is quite good actually

as is Miracle drug & Original of the species from U2's new album - pity they won't be singles.

Anyone else sick to death of that Sometimes you can't make it on your own?

thecorner
24/03/2005, 10:08 AM
not even my style of music but im loving "doves-black and white town"

De Town
24/03/2005, 9:01 PM
Chemical Brothers - Galvanize is another favourite of mine.

rossyk
25/03/2005, 1:28 AM
john farnaham with tom jones preforming the voice in sydney oz this year a personal highlight of mine. cheese merchants of the highest order. arcade fire album of 2004/2005,depends on where you live.ac/dc for slane with support by bruce springsteen

Closed Account 2
25/03/2005, 2:02 AM
nearly dropped last week when I found out that 'Today' by the Smashing Pumpkins was 13 years ago

That was a quality song, thought it was around 1994-5 myself, but yeah it was longer ago than that. They had a few world songs (maybe 1 albums worth in total) but a lot of the stuff they made was dross.

jofyisgod
25/03/2005, 10:58 AM
Got The Futureheads album last week. Absolutely class. I believe they're in the Top 10 in UK atm? not sure, but this is a great album. They're from Sunderland, and their accents sound class. Meantime is a great song, or Hounds of Love. Buy this ahead of the Phonics(no offense, they're great too!), but these guys are fresh, and are gonna be big.

WillyWonka
27/03/2005, 4:17 PM
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm..... Savage!!!! :) got it a few weeks ago, listening to it since!!

Pat O' Banton
27/03/2005, 8:00 PM
That was a quality song, thought it was around 1994-5 myself, but yeah it was longer ago than that. They had a few world songs (maybe 1 albums worth in total) but a lot of the stuff they made was dross.
:mad: :mad: Worst post ever

gustavo
27/03/2005, 9:07 PM
yeah pat you are right ... it was all rubbish!

Flea
27/03/2005, 9:12 PM

The latest offering from New Order (Waiting for the Sirens Call) is a great album :cool:
New Orders new album has no direction and is trying to fit into a different market where its not going to. As for Bloc Party, yeah its good but they are lacking a bit of creativity and tone. Only for the names I couldn't tell any song apart and you can't really warm to any song in particular. As for the other bands, they are all crap bar the Doves. Check out Sum 41 :cool:

Pat O' Banton
27/03/2005, 10:53 PM
yeah pat you are right ... it was all rubbish!

Sigh... I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion... even if its blatently wrong :eek: :D

CollegeTillIDie
28/03/2005, 12:00 AM
i think you and i are hijacking this thread but anyhoooo,

waiting for a star to fall,
carry your heart into my arms,
thats where you belong...

aye great song. but they were a one hit wonder no more than black - "tis a wonderful life alltogther". thats another great song. anyone remember that aul hit?

Black were a 2 hit wonder... also had a hit with " Sweetest Smile" :D

" no need to run and hide it's a wonderful , wonderful life no need to laugh and cry it's a wonderful wonderful life "

CollegeTillIDie
28/03/2005, 12:03 AM

New Order's new album was panned in this month's Q Magazine :confused:

gustavo
28/03/2005, 1:30 AM
speaking of Q on a totally non related matter i managed to get a Cash For Questions question submitted :D to Will Smith no less! :D

gustavo
28/03/2005, 1:32 AM
Sigh... I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion... even if its blatently wrong :eek: :D

was only joking only said it cos its an easy joke!
smashing pumpkins were a great band in their day :)
even liked some of their later more electronica stuff :eek:

Closed Account 2
28/03/2005, 2:55 AM
I meant to say they had a few world class songs, but not more than one full album. For some reason I forgot to type the word class...

Off the top of my head I'd say:-

Today, Pug (maybe), Appels + Oranjes, Disarm, Ava Adore, and by (far and away) 1979 + Tonight are world class songs. The B-sides on the versions on the latter are good too.

But other songs which SP fans tend to go on about, like Butterfly Wings, Blue Skies, Zero, Cherub Rock Everlasting Gaze are pretty average.

They were a band that could have been world class but just didnt produce quite enough top draw songs to be legends, which was a shame.

CollegeTillIDie
28/03/2005, 10:45 AM
speaking of Q on a totally non related matter i managed to get a Cash For Questions question submitted :D to Will Smith no less! :D

Fair play to you. Which question was it as a matter of interest? :p

gustavo
28/03/2005, 1:13 PM
i asked him what jazzy jeff was up to these days. turns out he is still working with him and done some tracks for his new album.

tetsujin1979
28/03/2005, 1:54 PM
Check out Sum 41 :cool:

First album was decent, very like Green Day, second album was disappointing, trying to be like the 80's metal bands IMO. Apparently the lead singer is engaged to Avril Lavigne.

ken foree
28/03/2005, 2:45 PM
I meant to say they had a few world class songs, but not more than one full album. For some reason I forgot to type the word class...

Off the top of my head I'd say:-

Today, Pug (maybe), Appels + Oranjes, Disarm, Ava Adore, and by (far and away) 1979 + Tonight are world class songs. The B-sides on the versions on the latter are good too.

But other songs which SP fans tend to go on about, like Butterfly Wings, Blue Skies, Zero, Cherub Rock Everlasting Gaze are pretty average.

hmm i woulda said siva, rhinoceros, bury me, and the 2nd half of gish was their best stuff, and downhill from there. to each his own :D

song of the year for me so far.. 'my home is the sea' off the new superwolf album is good.. m.i.a.'s galang (this clattery bhangra dancy stuff) is fantastic, yeah that's the one maybe

Flea
28/03/2005, 8:26 PM
First album was decent, very like Green Day, second album was disappointing, trying to be like the 80's metal bands IMO. Apparently the lead singer is engaged to Avril Lavigne.
Yeah he is engaged to her, they're fun and thats the main thing check out the videos for In Too Deep and esp. Fat Lip, pure class.

Song of the year so far, the acoustic version of 'I Just Wanna Live' by the Madden Bros. Benji and Joel from the humourous satirical Good Charlotte. :cool: Going back to Bloc Party, listen to 'Shes hearing voices' the vocals are so irritating :(

Gerrit
10/04/2005, 8:45 PM
Hmmmm... I don't really follow the hitparades anymore since R&B and hiphop took control (argh, hate it !) so forgive me if these ones were released just before New Year:

THE KILLERS - Somebody told me
U2 - Sometimes you can't make it on your own
WHITE STRIPES - Jolene

These are the only decent new ones I heard on the radio since New Year anyway.