PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Games: 08th/09th/10th June

Pages : [1] 2

HarpoJoyce
08/06/2018, 1:04 PM
SSE Airtricity League, Fri 08th June, UCD AFC v Drogheda Utd., UCD Bowl, ko 19:45

1st plays 2nd in a mouth-watering* game at The UCD Bowl, between two on-form sides looking to pick-up the only automatic promotion place.
Summer of Football at The UCD Bowl continues as both sets of fans will bring colour and noise to the Stadium.
All Football Fans are welcome to soak up the occasion and watch some of the best young talent in Irish Football on a beautiful evening for Football. #UCD #COYBIB

*Teas and soft drinks provided.

ToberonaTornado
08/06/2018, 1:09 PM
Will we all be blown away??

ArFella
08/06/2018, 1:24 PM
Away from the bright lights of the UCD Bowl there are some less prestigious games going on this weekend, here's the full rundown:

Tonight's Games:
Premier Division
Bohemians v Derry City
Dundalk v Limerick
Waterford v St Patrick's Athletic

First Division
Athlone Town v Shelbourne
Cabinteely v Longford Town
Galway United v Finn Harps
UCD v Drogheda United

Saturday:
Premier Division
Shamrock Rovers v Bray Wanderers
Sligo Rovers v Cork City

First Division
Cobh Ramblers v Wexford

HarpoJoyce
08/06/2018, 2:25 PM
Will we all be blown away??

I hope so.

sbgawa
08/06/2018, 6:45 PM
Beautiful evening in stradbrook to watch former hoop Marty waters score against a team in red and black....ominous stat for longford.....he never failed to score when playing bohs... :)

sbgawa
08/06/2018, 7:37 PM
Decent enough game on chances made Cabo are value for the 1 nil but longford look like they have a goal in thwm

pineapple stu
08/06/2018, 8:44 PM
Men against boys in the Bowl.

Super performance. Could have been more

MattB11
08/06/2018, 8:48 PM
Harps beat Galway in Terryland, 2004 was the last time we done that

sbgawa
08/06/2018, 8:50 PM
Good win for Cabo will give them hope for a run st the playoffs

ToberonaTornado
09/06/2018, 4:52 AM
Fair play to Dylan Connolly - who is out to make a fool of me for my ott critical opinion of him(though i doubt he cares) in the past.He's been excellent lately,and was again last night.
Hoban is some guy.A man possessed?A work rate like no other i've ever seen.When not scoring he's back in mf directing and motivating others.
Adorjan on a different level.

Lims got unlucky with the early injuries for Clifford and Maguire has to pointed out.Dundalk cleared lines early on but it was really one way traffic 2nd half.

trevy
09/06/2018, 6:57 AM
Waterford had a comfortable win in the end v St Pats who had a man sent off after 15 minutes for bringing down Akinade just outside box. Pats hit the bar early on and first half was fairly even. Duffus headed straight at Murphy from super cross by Akinade before half-time . Duffus headed Waterford in front from rebound after Akinade hit the bar. Akinade made it 2 0 to wrap it up.
Some young St Pats fans were getting rowdy and one shirtless young lad was thrown out. I could see him acting up from stand on other side so Gardai had no bother picking him out. Till rolls were thrown onto pitch briefly stalling game in 1st half. Who is Niall Hannigan whose name was on big flag St Pats fans had?

CityBoy
09/06/2018, 8:31 AM
Waterford had a comfortable win in the end v St Pats who had a man sent off after 15 minutes for bringing down Akinade just outside box. Pats hit the bar early on and first half was fairly even. Duffus headed straight at Murphy from super cross by Akinade before half-time . Duffus headed Waterford in front from rebound after Akinade hit the bar. Akinade made it 2 0 to wrap it up.
Some young St Pats fans were getting rowdy and one shirtless young lad was thrown out. I could see him acting up from stand on other side so Gardai had no bother picking him out. Till rolls were thrown onto pitch briefly stalling game in 1st half. Who is Niall Hannigan whose name was on big flag St Pats fans had?
Niall Hannigan was a huge Pats fan who sadly passed away a few years back.

SeanDrog
09/06/2018, 9:43 AM
Men against boys in the Bowl.

Super performance. Could have been more

Hopefully we use it to wake up a bit - we seem to have a mid season malaise setting in.

disgruntled
09/06/2018, 9:46 AM
Fair play to Dylan Connolly - who is out to make a fool of me for my ott critical opinion of him(though i doubt he cares) in the past.He's been excellent lately,and was again last night.
Hoban is some guy.A man possessed?A work rate like no other i've ever seen.When not scoring he's back in mf directing and motivating others.
Adorjan on a different level.

Lims got unlucky with the early injuries for Clifford and Maguire has to pointed out.Dundalk cleared lines early on but it was really one way traffic 2nd half.

Credit to Hoban who has taken the Premier division by storm but are Dundalk in danger of becoming a one man team ? :)

White Horse
09/06/2018, 10:04 AM
Credit to Hoban who has taken the Premier division by storm but are Dundalk in danger of becoming a one man team ? :)

There are novenas being prayed in Dundalk about keeping Hoban fit.

Recruiting another striker must be a priority in the transfer window.

oriel
09/06/2018, 10:31 AM
Missed most of the first half, damn trains delayed from Dublin, but heard I didn't miss much and got in on time to see Hoban score the first goal. Second half was a stroll, Adjoran looking a quality player, would love to see him start v Cork at the end of the month.

Incredible to think only 14 games left, 15 for those playing tonight.

El-Pietro
09/06/2018, 10:39 AM
Hoban is having a great season to be fair to him. Wonder if JC regrets not signing him last summer, though apparently he was asking for a serious wage at the time and he didn't end up signing for anyone.

dundalkfc10
09/06/2018, 11:03 AM
He was injured last summer which is the reason he has said many times he didn’t sign for Dundalk last summer

White Horse
09/06/2018, 11:24 AM
Hoban is having a great season to be fair to him. Wonder if JC regrets not signing him last summer, though apparently he was asking for a serious wage at the time and he didn't end up signing for anyone.

I'm sure if Caulfield could go back in time, he would offer him that serious wage.

However, as has been mentioned, he was injured and was returning from a dreadful period in England.

He is much better player now than in his first spell with Dundalk.

patrickccfc
09/06/2018, 12:08 PM
Ye might be hearing from Preston soon enough lads😂

dundalkfc10
09/06/2018, 12:09 PM
Least we would get money as he has 2 years left on his contract

patrickccfc
09/06/2018, 12:14 PM
A substantial amount I'd imagine. He's only back a few months but a striker in that sort of form I'd be amazed if a few clubs weren't taking notice. Would he leave so soon? Seems to be really enjoying being back.

Ezeikial
09/06/2018, 12:22 PM

His team mates have scored 36 other goals, more than the total for most of the other PD teams. There are more league scorers at Dundalk than any other club.

Pat Hoban is hugely important but the suggestion is naive, considering the form of players such as Duffy, Shields, Cleary, Hoare and McGrath (to name just five)

El-Pietro
09/06/2018, 1:14 PM
I'm sure if Caulfield could go back in time, he would offer him that serious wage.

However, as has been mentioned, he was injured and was returning from a dreadful period in England.

He is much better player now than in his first spell with Dundalk.
Yeah it would have been a massive risk. Dundalk have done well, I'm sure it's not on the money he was looking for (and had no right to ask for to be honest given his record in the UK) last summer.
Even at this level of performance, it's risky to have a huge salary tied up in one player, injury can strike at any time.

His team mates have scored 36 other goals, more than the total for most of the other PD teams. There are more league scorers at Dundalk than any other club.

Pat Hoban is hugely important but the suggestion is naive, considering the form of players such as Duffy, Shields, Cleary, Hoare and McGrath (to name just five)
Whoosh I'd say. He's clearly making a joke based on the Sean Maguire stuff last year.

Ezeikial
09/06/2018, 6:19 PM
Rovers 1-0 from a 4th minutes peno. Conor Kenna red card for hand ball.

Rovers inexorbable march for Europe is on

patrickccfc
09/06/2018, 7:09 PM
Sadlier has us 1 up in Sligo after a first minute goal. He's on great form at the moment

micls
09/06/2018, 7:39 PM
Lucky to be going in 1 up here. Excellent for the first 10 mins, could have scored 3, went to sleep then. Sligo playing some lovely stuff in the latter parts of that half.

Ezeikial
09/06/2018, 7:57 PM
Class headline on Dave Donnelly's report on the42.ie

Brilliant Burke's brace helps Rovers batter Bray

http://www.the42.ie/shamrock-rovers-bray-wanderers-loi-4062599-Jun2018/

micls
09/06/2018, 8:30 PM
2 nil City, Cummins.

Daylight robbery to be winning this game. Sligo fans must be gutted. We'll take it though!

patrickccfc
09/06/2018, 8:37 PM
They've been all over us by all accounts. Not the way I'd like things to go for us but a good trait to come out on top in games like this

micls
09/06/2018, 8:45 PM
Sadlier and Cummins continuing the 'if you score, i score' game.

El-Pietro
09/06/2018, 8:54 PM
Unbelievable. We had no right to get anything out of that game... And yet...

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2018, 12:53 AM
We laboured to that win. You'd imagine Cork or Dundalk, or even Derry, would have won it by 7 or 8. Still, we finally battered someone.

dundalkfc10
10/06/2018, 4:33 AM
both of us on some form, next week is massive

We need a result

dong
10/06/2018, 8:53 AM
Unbelievable. We had no right to get anything out of that game... And yet...

Disappointing but thats the best we have played all season. Such a soft goal to give away at the start and then couldnt take our chances. Second goal was a real sickener but cant be too harsh as they gave everything and played some great stuff.

micls
10/06/2018, 9:23 AM
Yeah, I was very impressed. Play like that the rest of the season, and ye'll pick up plenty of points. Ye're badly missing a finisher though

El-Pietro
10/06/2018, 9:37 AM
I was very impressed with Wixted. He did a lot of damage down our right. Slick back heel to set up the chance off the bar ( I was waiting for a burger behind the goal at that point so saw it very clearly)

dong
10/06/2018, 9:50 AM
I was very impressed with Wixted. He did a lot of damage down our right. Slick back heel to set up the chance off the bar ( I was waiting for a burger behind the goal at that point so saw it very clearly)

Maybe Adam Morgan might have put one away but hes not exactly dynamic so you lose something when he does play.
I think Lyttle has struggled to figure out what his best team actually is. Overall I was heartened by the effort as most people around me were.

disgruntled
10/06/2018, 10:41 AM

My post was part tongue in cheek & part serious & the suggestion is certainly not naive.
Hoban has 18, the next best Dundalk players after that is Duffy with 8 & Benson with 7.
If Hoban was to get injured Dundalk would find it difficult to win with leading scorers in single figures.
All the other Dundalk players you mentioned are on 1 goal each with McGrath on two.
Any games where Dundalk have dropped points are games in which Hoban hasn't scored.
So I'm asking if Dundalk are in danger of becoming a one man team ?

disgruntled
10/06/2018, 10:53 AM
Disappointing but thats the best we have played all season. Such a soft goal to give away at the start and then couldnt take our chances. Second goal was a real sickener but cant be too harsh as they gave everything and played some great stuff.

Very impressed with Sligo.
Played some lovely stuff at times but badly lacking a focal point to the attack.
16 goals from 21 games is very poor. I think Sligo had only one shot on target all game which was Kerrigans effort which McNulty tipped on to the bar late on.
The first goal might have looked soft but if you make mistakes against quality players you will get punished.

Ezeikial
10/06/2018, 12:38 PM
My post was part tongue in cheek & part serious & the suggestion is certainly not naive.

Being be both sincere and insincere at the same time is quite something.

Hoban has 18, the next best Dundalk players after that is Duffy with 8 & Benson with 7.
If Hoban was to get injured Dundalk would find it difficult to win with leading scorers in single figures.
All the other Dundalk players you mentioned are on 1 goal each with McGrath on two.
Any games where Dundalk have dropped points are games in which Hoban hasn't scored.
So I'm asking if Dundalk are in danger of becoming a one man team ?

Pat Hoban is in fantastic form and is the leagues leading scorer by a distance, but does the fact that there are so many goals coming from all over this team not register with you at all?

His team mates have notched up 36 other league goals between them; only 1 shy of the total scored by all Derry players (37), 2 short of Waterfords total (38) and significantly better than any other team bar Cork.

Apart from phenomenal goal-scoring right across the team, this team also has probably the most in-form creative player in Michael Duffy along with the best defense in terms of goals conceded and most clean sheets.

It's very far from a one-man team but if rumours are to be believed, it does look like the second highest goal across the leagues is about to join in July to offer more options up front

brendy_éire
11/06/2018, 8:49 AM
Much needed win for Derry in Dalymount there.
We'd a bit of a change in tactics, with much less playing out from the back and tighter marking in the centre. It wasn't as pretty, but it worked. We even defended well from corners too, unheard of from ourselves recently.

It was the worst Bohs performance I've seen this season though. Really quiet in the first half, barely came into in the second until they got their goal. Poor stuff.

I think we hold some curse of Bohs at this stage now. That's ten wins in a row in Dalymount, and ten wins out of ten under Shiels. Some stats.

disgruntled
11/06/2018, 7:32 PM
Being be both sincere and insincere at the same time is quite something.

Pat Hoban is in fantastic form and is the leagues leading scorer by a distance, but does the fact that there are so many goals coming from all over this team not register with you at all?

His team mates have notched up 36 other league goals between them; only 1 shy of the total scored by all Derry players (37), 2 short of Waterfords total (38) and significantly better than any other team bar Cork.

Apart from phenomenal goal-scoring right across the team, this team also has probably the most in-form creative player in Michael Duffy along with the best defense in terms of goals conceded and most clean sheets.

It's very far from a one-man team but if rumours are to be believed, it does look like the second highest goal across the leagues is about to join in July to offer more options up front

Sorry if asking a question seems to have upset you in some way ?
Since you're into facts here's another little one for you.
Of all Hoban's goals only two have come against teams higher that 5th in the table & half his goals have come against the two bottom teams in the Div.
I'm sure that you already knew the above but neglected to mention it :)

Ezeikial
11/06/2018, 8:17 PM
Sorry if asking a question seems to have upset you in some way ?
Since you're into facts here's another little one for you.
Of all Hoban's goals only two have come against teams higher that 5th in the table & half his goals have come against the two bottom teams in the Div.
I'm sure that you already knew the above but neglected to mention it :)

I'm not at all upset by your question, I simply replied to it with my opinion, supported by some relevant facts about his team mates.

I'm confused about how you view Hoban. Are you now suggesting that he is a one-man show or a scorer of irrelevant goals against poor teams?

sbgawa
11/06/2018, 8:30 PM
I think Hoban is a very good striker, but is he a superstar no I don't think so.
His record in England proves as much but he is made look like a very good striker because he is playing upfront for the best team in the League and by definition has more chances and sees more of the ball.
Put Dan Car, Christy Fagen, Rory Pattison or any of the number 9's upfront for Dundalk and they will do well.
I'm not having a go at him id happily have him at Rovers but I wouldn't rate him as highly as Sean Maguire for instance

Ezeikial
11/06/2018, 8:55 PM
I'm not having a go at him id happily have him at Rovers but I wouldn't rate him as highly as Sean Maguire for instance

You may well be right but another hatrick this weekend would move him ahead of Seanie's phenomenal goal scoring record of last season.

He is also on track to surpass Richie Towells record of 25 league goals

micls
11/06/2018, 9:10 PM
Seani had a few less games played, but no question Hobans current return is fantastic. Duffys excellent form is playing its part too.

Ezeikial
11/06/2018, 9:35 PM
Seani had a few less games played

I could stand corrected, but I think that the number of appearances are similar.

Journalist James Rogers adds this interesting comparison

James Rogers‏ @jamesdundalk (https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk)

Pat Hoban 2018 - 18 goals in 1,718 minutes
Sean Maguire 2017 - 20 goals in 1,809 minutes

1:54 PM - 8 Jun 2018

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status/1005191235320066048

Nesta99
12/06/2018, 2:08 AM
Wathing the highlights of the Sligo Cork game, if they can keep putting in persormances like that and find a real goal scorer in in July they will climb the table. A cup run is possible too. Cork were typically efficient with 2 goals taken from defensive lapses. It is the hope that teams put it up to Cork and Dundalk rather than a sense of turning up with little belief and going through the motions. Having said that the sort of form Dundalk are hitting few teams could keep with them. Cork just know how to get results. They didnt play well in Sligo and and will be delighted to have gotten the 3 points knowing they are unlkikely to be so poor again. I do feel that Cork are more likely to drop unexpected points though it does take patience for Dundalk to break down teams packing the defence. While we are scoring for fun at times we have been sloppy at times with not taking good chances especially went a side is set up to spoil - we have been lucky with some late goals and Rogers pulling off good late saves to see 3 points. As has been said many times before this season will be a tight finish. Whomever responds best over the European period, or even which teams goes out earliest could be key to domestic winnings. The head to head yet to come are going to be tastey and fiesty affairs and probably where a league will most likely be won or lost. The extra goal difference could well come in to play. I presume that GD is what would divide teams level rather than head to head results?

sulywaterfordfc
12/06/2018, 5:36 AM
You’ve to take into the consideration age for Maguire and Hoban. Maguire was like 21-23, with Cork. Hoban is now 26 and soon to be 27. Don’t think you can really compare both, as both players were at different stages of there career, every chance Hoban may get one last crack at the wip. Factor in injuries added with a lack of a proper run in the team and was probably low confidence too. All possible contributed for Hobans lack of success in his last stint in the UK. On another note, it’s great players with the ability of Hoban consider the league a real option and give it a proper go if it doesn’t work out in the UK.