PDA

View Full Version : how to treat a rowdy parent (on the opposing side)

the 12 th man
22/03/2005, 10:00 AM
i'm open to suggestions here,
we were playing away last saturday (under 8) in dublin.
my assistant manager was doing our line when the ball went out beside where we were standing and we signalled for our ball.there came a shout from the far line "play fair will yiss" on the top of his voice from the person doing their line (an assistant not their manager).

i shouted back over that we d'ont cheat kids and how could he see our line from where he was standing as we could'nt see his line.
the ref then went over to him and spoke to him (d'ont know what he said)

at half time i said to the ref that i was'nt impressed by the shouting and he said to me "what can i do ?"

at full time when all the kids were shaking hands the rowdy put his hand out to me to shake so i did :( rather than show bad example to the kids.

i'm really glad that it finished at that or we could have had a serious incident.

i'm looking forward to the 2nd leg of the tie :rolleyes:

Aberdonian Stu
22/03/2005, 10:37 AM
Well if they're being rowdy and it's annoying me when I ref I treat them as a mentor and book them. Generally does the job. It's actually a very good way to keep real mentors in check as well as they don't want to be forced away from the sideline so generally behave themselves after receiving a yellow.

Another good one (to keep for very special occasions) is something like this.

Four years ago I was refereeing a game out in Kiltipper (past Tallaght and a long long way from Dunlaoghaire where I live) between Thomas Davis and Fingallians under 15s in Gaelic football. Two mentors, one from each side, encroached on the pitch several times engaging in rather loud arguments with one another in the early stages. After about ten minutes of the game I decided that was enough. Upon their next encroachment I told them rather directly that "This is a football match, not the Jerry Springer show, now shut up and get off the pitch." The words 'back in your box' come to mind as they both kept their mouths shut for the rest of the game.

the 12 th man
22/03/2005, 11:03 AM
Well if they're being rowdy and it's annoying me when I ref I treat them as a mentor and book them. Generally does the job. It's actually a very good way to keep real mentors in check as well as they don't want to be forced away from the sideline so generally behave themselves after receiving a yellow.

Another good one (to keep for very special occasions) is something like this.

Four years ago I was refereeing a game out in Kiltipper (past Tallaght and a long long way from Dunlaoghaire where I live) between Thomas Davis and Fingallians under 15s in Gaelic football. Two mentors, one from each side, encroached on the pitch several times engaging in rather loud arguments with one another in the early stages. After about ten minutes of the game I decided that was enough. Upon their next encroachment I told them rather directly that "This is a football match, not the Jerry Springer show, now shut up and get off the pitch." The words 'back in your box' come to mind as they both kept their mouths shut for the rest of the game.

sounds good for a neutral ref to do but what you get normally is a ref who does all the home games for each team and he probably knows this guy personally so is less likely to do anything about it.

all the time you must be aware that there are numerous pairs of little ears listening to everything and you have to be careful what you say.

Aberdonian Stu
22/03/2005, 11:11 AM
Have to disagree. I normally got the same teams, from the same club every week and would book them if necessary. Sure I once booked my old Geography teacher/school manager for encroaching and arguing with a player.

Derek
22/03/2005, 1:13 PM
You MUST report the problems to the league, this is the only way stop problems from the sideline. even if you do not take action against the offenders at the time you MUST report it.

The leagues have the power to stop this type of thing.

patsh
22/03/2005, 2:48 PM
There was some guy down here in Cork, Mallow I think, who has been banned for TWENTY years after an incident with a Ref at an under-age game. I presume this was a fairly serious incident, but fair play to the league for coming down hard on this type of thing.

harpskid
06/04/2005, 7:12 PM
A guy up here in Donegal from a club in Inishowen I think it was, got into a spot of bother with a referee.

League tried to bar him from attending grounds, but he got away with it due to some Human Rights thing.

the 12 th man
07/04/2005, 5:08 AM
A guy up here in Donegal from a club in Inishowen I think it was, got into a spot of bother with a referee.

the problem appears to be getting worse everywhere. :( .
(and that goes right up as far as adult football)
and its not as if we have too many refs.
every week you hear of games being abandoned due to trouble on the pitch or from the sidelines.

the 12 th man
20/04/2005, 7:16 AM
You MUST report the problems to the league, this is the only way stop problems from the sideline. even if you do not take action against the offenders at the time you MUST report it.

The leagues have the power to stop this type of thing.

our "friend" arrived for the fixture in our home ground.he abused all around him and ended up getting his name taken by the ref who will report him.

i've forwarded a letter of complaint to our club secretary who will forward it to the league.

i will keep you posted on developments.

parnell ranger
22/04/2005, 9:26 AM
i think we should follow the European example and have no "reward" whatsoever for kids football up to and including u/12 age groups.
no points,league tables,trophies,medals with the total emphasis on development only.
I mooted this idea to an FAI official and was told it would dull the natural competitive spirit of future irish players!
Ive seen a penalty shoot out in a local league at under 8 for the biggest trophy presented in the league.
madness!

the 12 th man
22/04/2005, 9:37 AM
i think we should follow the European example and have no "reward" whatsoever for kids football up to and including u/12 age groups.
no points,league tables,trophies,medals with the total emphasis on development only.
I mooted this idea to an FAI official and was told it would dull the natural competitive spirit of future irish players!
Ive seen a penalty shoot out in a local league at under 8 for the biggest trophy presented in the league.
madness!

probably one of the hottest talking points in kids football.

its a difficult one to call because kids play as if their life depends on it in every game (even in training) even when there's no trophies to win

the penalty shootout for under 8s would not be allowed in most leagues