PDA

View Full Version : Another football movie

Junior
22/03/2005, 8:31 AM
Just received this by email, sounds great doesn't it :rolleyes:

Dear Soccer Fan:

From the creators of RUDY and HOOSIERS comes a true story based on the 1950 U.S. World Cup Soccer Team whose victory over England still stands as the greatest upset in the history of soccer.

THE GAME OF THEIR LIVES is a story of teamwork, determination and a love for the game so many of us share. The film boasts an all-star cast, including Gerard Butler and Patrick Stewart, and features John Harkes, Freddy Adu, Landon Donovan and many more of your favorite American soccer stars.

THE GAME OF THEIR LIVES is a film for the entire family. Rated PG, the film opens on April 22nd and will be in theaters for a limited time. TO PURCHASE TICKETS or set up a private screening for your team, please visit our website, www.gameoftheirlivesmovie.com or call 1-800-215-2971 for more information.

We hope you will join us in celebrating this great moment in American soccer.

Get Into The Game! Don't Miss Out! See The Movie!

Thank you for your support.

Aberdonian Stu
22/03/2005, 8:49 AM
I've seen Rudy, pretty poor which is a pity as the real life story itself is great. Rudy was a average joe who trained his guts out with Notre Dame's third string but never got any game time as he wasn't quite good enough and was quite short. He didn't give up though (in true Hollywood style) earned the respect of his colleagues and got on for the last couple of plays in last game of his final year in College. He remains the last man to be carried off shoulder high from the field in South Bend(nearly thirty years ago)...and they've won a National championship since then so that's really something special.

Closed Account 2
22/03/2005, 12:13 PM
Ive seen that film too, its ok but a bit of a film cliché (average person tries hard and beats the odds etc). There is a reference to Rudy in the Simpsons Superbowl episode.

Troy.McClure
22/03/2005, 12:45 PM
GOD BLESS AMERICA

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

That looks seriously tacky :o

Eire06
22/03/2005, 12:52 PM
Any film with England loosing has to be good ;)

M@ttitude
22/03/2005, 3:48 PM
he he

Éanna
22/03/2005, 3:50 PM
Any film that refers to the sport as "soccer" instead of "football" has to be dodgy in the extreme. Americans don't get football. I wish they'd just give up and go away.

M@ttitude
22/03/2005, 3:57 PM
Any film that refers to the sport as "soccer" instead of "football" has to be dodgy in the extreme. Americans don't get football. I wish they'd just give up and go away.
I know its really annoying, I was in chicago and there was this kid admiring me doing solos on the street, he told me he played soccer and brought me out a book his coach told him to study called 'So your a Left back Field player'!! I told him to forget about the book! I wished they'd give up aswell but I dont think they're going away, i reckon they'll win the world cup in 2022, wat odds would I get for that? :o

Troy.McClure
22/03/2005, 5:44 PM
I know its really annoying, I was in chicago and there was this kid admiring me doing solos on the street, he told me he played soccer and brought me outa book his coach told him to study called 'So your a Left back Field player'!!

Thats hilarious! :D (but somehow disturbing)

Metrostars
22/03/2005, 8:01 PM

It's not the only place it's refered to as "soccer":
http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/sport/soccer/index.asp
http://www.soccercentral.ie/
http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/

I think enough of people here "get" football, after all the US got to the quarters of the World Cup last time round. And sorry to dash your hopes, but they've improved since then so they're not going away any time soon.

As for the film, well it's a true story about a bunch of part-timers beating the likes of Mathews and Finney.

Eire06
23/03/2005, 8:02 AM
It is called soccer
Sure football is GAA isn't it? :D ;)

Aberdonian Stu
23/03/2005, 8:36 AM
Well no actually it is called football, Association Football is where the term soccer originates from.

Personally I think the development of football in the States can only be good for the game as it broadens the game on a global level and allows for new styles to emerge. While the coaches are generally from more traditional football countries a new culture for a sport (which is what America largely is in footballing terms) can always aid development. Just look at Basketball and the influence Europeans, notably the Lithuanian and Italian national sides as well as those from former Yugoslav republics, and South Americans, in particular the awesome displays by Olympic champions Argentina, have had on the development of that sport. The coaching styles in these countries generally originated from the USA or old USSR but have added something to the game.

Poor Student
23/03/2005, 4:44 PM
Association Football is where the term soccer originates from.

Indeed and the term is quite old and originates from Britain not the US.

Éanna
23/03/2005, 7:00 PM
It's not the only place it's refered to as "soccer":

I know that. The bogball fraternity here refer to it as such too. I was not having a go JUST at united states-ians about that.

I think enough of people here "get" football, after all the US got to the quarters of the World Cup last time round. And sorry to dash your hopes, but they've improved since then so they're not going away any time soon.
Not going to change my opinion that easily. Some people may get football, but TBH just listening to united states-ians speaking about football (even the players) they just sound like they should be discussing another sport!

strangeirish
23/03/2005, 7:30 PM
Some people may get football, but TBH just listening to united states-ians speaking about football (even the players) they just sound like they should be discussing another sport!

Too true. I was watching a game on ESPN last year and one of the commentators let this gem out,

"Nice pass by the right sided player into the box. The ball is now out of play and the umpire seems to be signalling for a penalty corner"
I kid you not!!!!!

dancinpants
23/03/2005, 7:59 PM

I have to agree with you there Eanna. Something about them and their "saccer" that is very, VERY annoying. :mad:

Metrostars
23/03/2005, 8:55 PM
Not going to change my opinion that easily. Some people may get football, but TBH just listening to united states-ians speaking about football (even the players) they just sound like they should be discussing another sport!

Results dont lie. When the US qualifies for the 2006 World Cup, they will be only one of a few teams(e.g. Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Germany) to have qualified for the finals 5 times on the trot. Sure, they come from the Concacaf zone but most other teams in the region are football crazy compared to the general population of the US. I think most people outside the US who scoff at the idea of the US becoming a footballing power are jealous because it's a country where maybe 2-3% follow football and are getting better and it irks the hell out of them.

As for football-speak, yeah I agree it's not the greatest. Mind you, I was in Italy one time and these young lads were going on about Baggio and the like. I hadnt a fcuking clue what they were saying :P

strangeirish
23/03/2005, 9:01 PM
As for football-speak, yeah I agree it's not the greatest. Mind you, I was in Italy one time and these young lads were going on about Baggio and the like. I hadnt a fcuking clue what they were saying :P

I take it you don'ta speaka da Italiano :D

dancinpants
23/03/2005, 10:13 PM
Results dont lie. When the US qualifies for the 2006 World Cup, they will be only one of a few teams(e.g. Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Germany) to have qualified for the finals 5 times on the trot.

Dont forget Scotland in that esteemed 5-in-a-row list

USA 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
MEXICO 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
GUATEMALA 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 :eek:
PANAMA 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 :eek:
COSTA RICA 1 0 1 0 1 2 -1 0 :eek:
TRINIDAD 1 0 1 0 1 2 -1 :eek:

Hard NOT to qualify from that group!!!

Troy.McClure
23/03/2005, 10:54 PM
I think that the US will be a force in a few years now that its getting popular with kids, but they will be a force due to their quantity rather than their overall quality. How hard can it be to get 11 decent players out of 300,000,000 people! :eek:

Lesson 1 for their coaching though should be "Its pronounced 'Sock-er', not 'saww-ker'!"

They still finished bottom of their group in the 1950 WC though! (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/pwc/r/1950.html)

Éanna
23/03/2005, 10:57 PM
Results dont lie. When the US qualifies for the 2006 World Cup, they will be only one of a few teams(e.g. Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Germany) to have qualified for the finals 5 times on the trot. Sure, they come from the Concacaf zone but most other teams in the region are football crazy compared to the general population of the US. I think most people outside the US who scoff at the idea of the US becoming a footballing power are jealous because it's a country where maybe 2-3% follow football and are getting better and it irks the hell out of them.
I accept that the talent is there, and that a sizeable minority are dedicated to the sport. Its just that this "sawccer speak" drives me insane.*

* Could be something to do with me being a grumpy, intolerant ***** too though ;)

ciaran76
24/03/2005, 3:25 PM
I accept that the talent is there, and that a sizeable minority are dedicated to the sport. Its just that this "sawccer speak" drives me insane.*

* Could be something to do with me being a grumpy, intolerant ***** too though ;)

Esp. when they say things like "the ooooooffence" or "the deeeefence".
That gets on my nerves.
But it seems alot of the middle class in the USA are taking "sawccer" up as its less physical then American Football and ice hockey.I saw some prog. on tv about this.