PDA

View Full Version : Given knock?

JimmyP
21/03/2005, 11:17 PM
Don't know how reliable it is, but just saw this at the end of a news item on interest for Given from Man Utd. and Arsenal: (football365.com)

""I want to stay and Newcastle and win things. I came here to win things, and the way we are going forward at the moment and still involved in the FA Cup and UEFA Cup this is our best chance of picking up a trophy for some time."

Given played through the pain of a hip injury on Saturday against Portsmouth and may have to do so again for the Republic of Ireland against Israel on Saturday."

Eire06
22/03/2005, 8:30 AM
He's ment to be sitting out training today :mad:
Hope he'll be fit by Sat :(

livehead1
22/03/2005, 8:40 AM
of course he'll play. no doubt about it. massive game

Eire06
22/03/2005, 8:43 AM
of course he'll play. no doubt about it. massive game

There's plenty of doubt going around here about it this morn, on all the radio news this morn.. : :(

Stuttgart88
22/03/2005, 9:31 AM
Just trying to make some news when there is no news I'd say.

Junior
22/03/2005, 9:54 AM
Just trying to make some news when there is no news I'd say.

I Hope so, though Paddy Kenny certainly suffered in the recent penalty shoot out whilst trying to play through ther pain barrier - it would be a BIG risk to play a partially fit Given in Israel.

brine3
22/03/2005, 10:02 AM
Come back Deano!!!!

onenilgameover
22/03/2005, 12:01 PM
Come back Deano!!!!

Kiely was screwed over big time by Mick and the Irish set up...playin Given in games where Kiely should have been given a chance...I agree totally with him and don't blame hm at all...He won't be back and thats Ireland's loss.

Junior
22/03/2005, 12:15 PM
He's retired and we've got a more than decent back up in Paddy Kenny (from what I have seen of him!)

Littlest Hobo
22/03/2005, 12:40 PM
anybody know the latest on shay?? All this talk on kenny playing is making me nervous :(

Donal81
22/03/2005, 1:43 PM
I saw Kiely play at the weekend for Charlton. A smashing keeper, definitely one of the best in the Premier League. Why Man Utd and Arsenal wasted their time on all those chancers when there was such a keeper sitting under their noses is beyond me. He was unfortunate that Shay Given is also one of the best in the Premier League. I never heard anything of Mick shafting him, though, I always thought he just got annoyed with never getting his game. Same old story for me, though, I'd gladly sit on the bench for Ireland.

tricky_colour
22/03/2005, 3:54 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2005130994,00.html

"Now Villa boss David O’Leary plans a £3million summer swoop for Sheffield United’s Republic of Ireland international keeper Paddy Kenny.

Kenny, 26, has established himself as one of the best outside the top flight since joining the Blades from Bury for £50,000 three years ago."

If Given does not play I am not worried as we have great cover.

eirebhoy
22/03/2005, 4:02 PM
Probably the two least reliable papers on the planet but the Mirror have the same story:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/sporttop/tm_objectid=15319896&method=full&siteid=50143&headline=fa-want-tunnel-row-tape-name_page.html

OwlsFan
22/03/2005, 4:16 PM
He was unfortunate that Shay Given is also one of the best in the Premier League. I never heard anything of Mick shafting him, though, I always thought he just got annoyed with never getting his game. Same old story for me, though, I'd gladly sit on the bench for Ireland.

Yes, it was a friendly game and Dean was all geared up to play until Mick told him that Alan Kelly was looking for a Club so he was going to play him to "put him in the shop window". This was apparently the last straw for Dean. A great keeper and not a lot, if anything, between him and Shay. In fact I may be so bold as to say that in certain aspects he was better than Shay. Both great goalies - just a shame they both arrived at the same time. Didn't he play a stormer in the 0-0 in Turkey ?

tricky_colour
22/03/2005, 4:41 PM
http://www.actim.pa.press.net/top100.shtml

Rated above Given there and second best keeper in the Premiership
at number 37, Given is number 78.
Carsley at number 20 is in a similar situation.
I wonder if any other international side can 'beat that'?

ken foree
22/03/2005, 5:15 PM
in certain aspects he was better than Shay.

agree there

Superhoops
22/03/2005, 5:19 PM
anybody know the latest on shay?? All this talk on kenny playing is making me nervous :(
Latest according to RTE;Goalkeeper Shay Given and captain Kenny Cunningham both sat out today's training session in Malahide. Given is believed to be suffering from a hip-injury which will be closely monitored.
Don't look great!, hopefully it is a precaution.

thejollyrodger
22/03/2005, 6:00 PM
Kerr said on RTE that he wasnt that concerned but he had to wait and see. If it was that bad , Shay wouldnt have flew over if he was feeling that bad.

Paddy is a great keeper though. Im not that worried. I think we should be ok.

supasparx
22/03/2005, 7:51 PM
I think Given is best in the prem. but not the slightest bit worried about Kenny coming in for him. We're lucky to have such backup!

Cowboy
22/03/2005, 8:09 PM
AFAIK What happened was that Mick promised him a game and then told him he was going to play Alan Kelly instead because there were some scouts at the game.

I saw Kiely play at the weekend for Charlton. A smashing keeper, definitely one of the best in the Premier League. Why Man Utd and Arsenal wasted their time on all those chancers when there was such a keeper sitting under their noses is beyond me. He was unfortunate that Shay Given is also one of the best in the Premier League. I never heard anything of Mick shafting him, though, I always thought he just got annoyed with never getting his game. Same old story for me, though, I'd gladly sit on the bench for Ireland.

JimmyP
22/03/2005, 11:51 PM
From the FAI website:

Given and Holland miss training

Shay Given and Matt Holland were the only absentees from training when the Republic of Ireland squad met in Dublin on Tuesday ahead of Saturday’s World Cup qualification clash against Israel in Tel Aviv.

Given suffered a hip injury in training with Newcastle United last week and missed training while Holland remained in England after his wife suffered an accident needing hospital treatment.

Manager Brian Kerr said: “Matt Holland has been delayed but is expected to arrive on Wednesday after his wife had an accident and she underwent an operation today.”

“Shay Given didn’t train but is hoping to okay soon.”

JimmyP
23/03/2005, 10:20 AM
The update:

Kerr receives Given boost

Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr is confident that goalkeeper Shay Given will recover from his hip injury in time to start Saturday’s crucial World Cup qualifier against Israel in Tel Aviv (Kick off 7:50 Irish time).

Given did not train on Tuesday or again on Wednesday morning as preparation for Saturday’s game continued, though Kerr revealed that a scan has showed little damage that only requires a few days left.

Kerr said: “He’s had a scan and has a very slight strain. There’s some slight bleeding which caused some concern last Saturday but nothing that a couple of days rest won’t fix.

“I expect him to be fine for Israel. I got a call on Saturday after the game from the physio at Newcastle to say that Shay had had a bit of problem.

“There was no problem on Saturday morning but he had felt a bit sore at half time. He had an injection then and played the second half.

“It was basically a call of reassurance. The scan was for reassurance, the medical staff felt there was nothing to worry about and Shay is happy now that it is not serious.”

Meanwhile, the rest of the squad trained as normal on Wednesday morning with the exception of Matt Holland who is expected in Dublin before Ireland depart for Tel Aviv on Wednesday afternoon.

Baker
23/03/2005, 6:10 PM
On Newstalk106's Off The Ball show last night a reporter on the show (Cant remember his name, think he was from the Independent) said the story about Givens knock had just been hyped up because it was such a slow news day and that he will be fine for Saturday.

Hope he's right!!

dr_peepee
23/03/2005, 8:20 PM
I wish I shared the comfort some of you have with Paddy Kenny. There's no doubt he's a good prospect, but you can't replace experience. I rather he had some more games and and away game in a potentialy hostile environment is no place for an inexperienced keeper. That's one of my gripes with Brian Kerrs policy for friendlies. Paddy Kenny should start in most of these.

And my two cents regarding Dean Keily is that while it annoys me when players who are still assetts to the squad retire I don't think he was ever given a fair crack at the Irish Keepers jersey. At the moment Shay's our undisputed number one, and rightly so. But there was a time there about 4/5 years ago (around the start of the quals for Japan) where on Club form alone Keily was the much better keeper where Kelly couldn't get off the bench and Given was loosing his place from time to time to Harper. At that point it should have been an even three way battle for the jersey. I don't think it ever was and we've lost a world class keeper because of it.

tricky_colour
23/03/2005, 8:53 PM
Just been on Sky news that Man U are interested in signing Kiely.

Stuttgart88
24/03/2005, 7:23 AM
Just been on Sky news that Man U are interested in signing Kiely.

Not before time. Arsenal should have gone for him years ago but he probably wasn't exotic enough for Wenger (or his goalkeeping advisors). Cech appears to be the clear no. 1 in the PL at the moment, but over the last few years Given, Kiely & Niemi have been the most consisent. Jumping threads a bit, but Maik Taylor is pretty handy IMO.

The story about Kiely being promised a game over Kelly, but then Kelly being picked because of scouts being there is true.

I still think Kiely would play for us if we had a crisis. I think Kerr's "the door is still open" remark was aimed at him. I watched the video of the Paris match and Kiely was on BBC's panel. He said he had been in touch with the lads all through the week. Little things like this suggest to me he'd help out. Just like Eriksson is rumoured to be prepared to ask Scholes to play in WC06 I think Kerr should think likewise about Kiely (IF it comes to it obviously...). Kenny could feel hard done by but we owe the likes of Colgan & Murphy nothing.

When Deano came on late in the Turkey play-off the first thing he had to do was take a really difficult high dropping ball mid-penatly box. He took it like he'd pick an apple from a tree. I think this was his first competitive game and I realised at that moment he was class.

Stuttgart88
24/03/2005, 12:26 PM
Given trained today and is OK apparently. He sat out the last bit of the session.

brine3
24/03/2005, 6:28 PM
Given is a great in one on ones and Kiely is a great commander of the box. Both are great shot stoppers.

Now if only we could combine the two of them into one keeper.