PDA

View Full Version : Who's to Blame

Seanie
12/02/2002, 7:33 PM
So who's really to blame?
1. Liam Murphy - with all the players that have left since the start of the season is he really the reason why?

2. The Board - surely the board could have offered Ollie a better deal in the knowledge that he could leave for nothing.

Of course it's probably a combination, but I think the Board must heave the majority of the responsiblity - Michael O'Leary has done sweet **** all since his appointment as Chairman - Christ I never even seen him in person, yet manage to catch a glimpse of Terry Dunne every second game.

Peadar
12/02/2002, 7:34 PM
Originally posted by Seanie
So who's really to blame?

The Shed heads and the boo'ers are to blame.
The players get nothing but abuse at home.

joe
12/02/2002, 7:37 PM
Originally posted by Peadar

I hope you're not tarring everyone in the Shed with the same bruch there Peader? Maybe you should rephrase that (or define what you mean by a 'Shed head'?)

Also, without wanting to sound completely off the wall, I think Murphy brings some of it on himself. I mean, asking for patience of and criticising fans when he won't even meet with the official supporters club....

A face
12/02/2002, 8:57 PM
I dont shout abuse at players, i might have an opinion on them but i dont voice it, i avoid talk about it aswell ... so as not to influence people standing around me, most of my mates are the same. In fairness i rant on here about them, but i dont think it filters through.

Taxi for Morley put a stop to all that for me, having seen the effect it has. I stay vocal if possible but it ain't abuse. I do lose the rag alright but the last time that happened was at "fans" leaving early.

I think it is a good thing for everyone to practice.

Gary
12/02/2002, 9:15 PM

As always Peadar you are 100% correct. Ollie is leaving because people around the ground boo, and the board know that Ollies feelings are hurt so they havent offered him an improved contract. You are also correct in saying that our recent run of poor results is down to people booing the team. And there was me thinking all along it was because the board are a pack of cowboys who are mismanaging one of the biggest clubs of the country into the ground. My oh my those boo boys have alot to answer for, dont they Peadar. Sure while we are at it, lets boo them for the rain the other day, and for Colin Murphy leaving us in the lurch, and also for the boards half time meeting last January, and for Mulligans bad miss on Sunday, and Bennet being sent off, and for Hartigans lack of talent, and the smell in the jacks of the horseshoe, christ lets even say that it was they who inspired genocide in Europe in the 1940s.

James
12/02/2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by GWA

christ lets even say that it was they who inspired genocide in Europe in the 1940s.

GWA you really think the shed boo boys are that devious

A face
12/02/2002, 10:08 PM
They are bad to the bone :D

Casegrande
12/02/2002, 10:25 PM
And the Board and the Manager havre got nothing to do with the lack of progress off the pitch and the terrible football on it? Come on!

Seriously, is Peadar a Board member?

patsh
13/02/2002, 7:13 AM
Peadar,
I stand in the Shed for all the home games. I have never boo'ed the team...... :o
However, it has come to my notice that all the team members, management, board and those connected with the club, all appear to be over the age of 16. I am sure this means that they can make up their minds for themselves. If the players are upset or afraid of the "boo boys", well then they don't have to come out on the pitch. The management can hide away under the stand, and the board can f**k off playing golf for the afternoon.
In the meantime, lets get out the army and police to arrest all those nasty "boo'ers" for expressing their opinion about the sh*te we have had to watch for the last few months. Then when all those team abusers are safely incarcerated, the team, management and directors can easily get on with the absolutely fantastic job they are doing, and we can all applaud their efforts and say well done, well played, good show... :rolleyes:
Of course all this nastiness could be avoided if the board actually got together and listened to people who really do care about CCFC, and that does include you Peadar. If all those who care worked together, the club might actually get somewhere. As this event has as much likelihood of happening as LM being signed up as successor to Alex Ferguson, those nasty boo boys are still going to express their opinion. Time to break out the earplugs !!!! :confused:

niamh
13/02/2002, 8:34 AM
Surely the fans are just reacting to a problem they know is there? If City weren't getting the results but were at least playing good football there won't be a problem as wins would come with time. But what hope have fans at the moment? The best player in the club is about to leave and they are playing ****e...

Ruairi
13/02/2002, 9:57 AM
Hang on a sec. The fans have every right to boo the players off the park. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we pay to watch Cork City, which makes us customers as well as fans. What do you do when you buy something and it's defective?? You complain. Simple enough concept, we're all familiar with it. So when City play poorly, we have a right to complain , hence the boo-ing. So if you don't think you're getting your money's worth, boo the *******s off the park. We pay their wages, we have a right to let them know how we feel.

dalo
13/02/2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ruairi
Hang on a sec. The fans have every right to boo the players off the park. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we pay to watch Cork City, which makes us customers as well as fans. What do you do when you buy something and it's defective?? You complain. Simple enough concept, we're all familiar with it. So when City play poorly, we have a right to complain , hence the boo-ing. So if you don't think you're getting your money's worth, boo the *******s off the park. We pay their wages, we have a right to let them know how we feel.

SORRY LADS but booing is a herd thing. it is about a bunch of tossers in a crowd who haven't the guts to confront the players about why they didn't play well. would the boo boys/girls really go up to gunther or deccie or pat on their own. the hell they won't because they are gutless wonders (and becuase deccie would give ye one :D

moreover have you seen how devastated the city players are after a bad result. they know when things ahven't gone well and don't need mindless idiots who couldn't trap wind (never mind a football) rubbing it.

it may seem like legitmate protest to the boo-ers but ultimately it rubs off on the players to the point they themselves begin to resent the fans.

there is many a time when i have been raging after a city game but I a) never leave early b) never boo players or c) act like a uneducated yob shouting murphy out (or dm out).d) always come back for more. it's called being a fan

if any of ye played team sport ye know what I mean.

as for the business connotation that is crap. does your boss bully you when you have a bad day or do you intimadate and slag off a bad sales rep. no !!! if you don't like what you see then don't turn up and if you do turn up get behind the players and manager because at the end of the day if you are against the players, the manager, the board and fellow supporters what are you doing here?

Neil
13/02/2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by dalo
it is about a bunch of tossers in a crowd who haven't the guts to confront the players ...... they are gutless wonders .....
don't need mindless idiots who couldn't trap wind (never mind a football).

There's a lot of anger in there Dalo. You make a lot of accusations about people you don't know.

there is many a time when i have been raging after a city game but I a) never leave early b) never boo players or c) act like a uneducated yob shouting murphy out (or dm out).d) always come back for more. it's called being a fan

Some would call it being a sucker.

if any of ye played team sport ye know what I mean.

I do play team sport, but I haven't a clue what you're on about.

if you are against the players, the manager, the board and fellow supporters what are you doing here?
I'm here because I am a Cork City supporter. I'm also a Corkonian who hates to see my local club going down the tube, like it is at the moment.

I don't understand how you don't care about results like Sunday, about the lack of professionalism and progress within the club, about players getting managers sacked, about Directors swiping club money, taking buddies on Euro trips for free. etc. etc. etc.

Ruairi
13/02/2002, 10:50 AM

as for the business connotation that is crap. does your boss bully you when you have a bad day

I have worked in retail for far too long and I know that when I do not perform to the highest possible standard than a: my boss will give out to me or b:the customer will complain. The customer is always right. When I go to Turner's Cross on a sunday I am a paying customer, and if I don't like what I see than I'm not just going to sit back and say nothing. I have the right to complain. You say that boo-ing "rubs off on the players to the point they themselves begin to resent the fans." Well if the players performed as well as they should there would be no reason to boo them, would there? And if it rubs off on them so much that they "begin to resent the fans" they should just grow thicker skins. They're out there to perform for us, we pay to watch them play.
Oh and BTW, I'm behind the players 110% every time. Come kick off there is none more vocal than I. But come 3:45 and it's 0-0 aginst Dundalk I'm going to let my feelings be known.

dalo
13/02/2002, 11:05 AM
jez man when the last time a couple of dozen customers shouted out out out to you or said ruairi get the f**k out as you failed to meet your sales target even if yours is the top 4 in the company.

i too work in a customer driven envoirement (no it;s not mackers :D ) but no the customer isn't always right. they may have a point but there are ways to behave. all complaints are dealt with in a one to one manner

Troy.McClure
13/02/2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Ruairi
come 3:45 and it's 0-0 aginst Dundalk I'm going to let my feelings be known.

Booing the team off at half time, while they are keeping a clean sheat makes no sence. If they were booed with 0-0, then Im sure that supporting them would help make it 1-0.

Players and opposing managers (eapecially Pat Dolan) have always said that the hardest thing about comming to Cork is the fans. Unfortunitally the (more vocal) fans have turned on the team. IMO this gives the away team an advantage. At away matches there is more "support" with much less booing. I believe that this is why City get better results away from home. In the middle of the year, when we were playing 352 and switching to 442 after (almost always) going 0-1 down, the fans got straight behind the team with chants of "City City", yet now if its scoreless at half time we get booing, which IMO (& Gunthers opinion aswell) works against the team, with heads dropping. I have never seen a City player get better after being booed, however, after being encouraged the team usually lift their preformance.

Ruairi said that the customer is always right, and he is more or less correct with this, but the customer can help make things better for him/herself aswell. If you buy a car with a 3 year warrentee and have to bring it back after 1 year because the clutch is worn through, then you have to say to the customer "Did you treat it well?" Was the customer keeping good care of his car? Were they keeping their foot on the clutch all the time?etc etc. I know that this is an abstract example, but try to relate it to the team. When we encouraged the team, and helped them when they were down, more often than not, they responded positively. Now that they are down again, shouldnt we try to help them again?

I understnad that some of ye think that the best way to make the club better is by getting a new board & manager and while I can see yere points, and actually agree with alot of them (:eek: ) I dont think that the board will just say 'Right so, lets walk away and hope that someone will want to buy this from us'. I just cant see it happening, listen to what the Hibs fan (I dont remember who it was) said, I think that if the saame happens here, we will have the same result :(

pete
13/02/2002, 11:26 AM
Jeez i think everyone needs to calm down a bit including the club.

Teams get 'booed' allover the world every week & its not the beginnings of a war between club & supporters.

A supporter always supports but that also doesn't mean they can't voice disapproval. I think we will realise just how bad the lose to Limerick was when Rovers put out half their first team & beat them by a few goals next weekend. I'm sure the board were far from happy given they missed out on decent home crowd for the semi final.

However i think theres little point abusing players, management etc... without offering sloutions.

BTW believe it or not I think the are maybe generally (sunday excluded) charging too little for city games. Since CCFC depends too much on gate receipts for its finances.

I don't know any of the players or board makes it easy for me to detatch myself from 'gang of 5' stories or defending people I know.

Gary
13/02/2002, 12:29 PM
Booing the team off at half time, while they are keeping a clean sheat makes no sence. If they were booed with 0-0, then Im sure that supporting them would help make it 1-0.

Ah come on now. Gunther said after the Dundalk game that he was happy with the clean sheet. Id imagine that was a bit of a scapegoat. He also said that the Dundalk game was 1 point gained rather than 2 dropped!

If City are playing well and losing, then fine, I'll be behind them all the way. We all know how well they can play. But i just cannot tolerate the rubbish we have been put through at the X for the last few weeks/months.

dalo
13/02/2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by GWA

Ah come on now. Gunther said after the Dundalk game that he was happy with the clean sheet. Id imagine that was a bit of a scapegoat. He also said that the Dundalk game was 1 point gained rather than 2 dropped!

If City are playing well and losing, then fine, I'll be behind them all the way. We all know how well they can play. But i just cannot tolerate the rubbish we have been put through at the X for the last few weeks/months.

honestly gwa do I think i find it easy sitting through the games the last few weeks. as for gunther of course he was ****ed off with the result but he ain't going to publicily slag off the players. he will safe that for the dressing room.

regards the club performances let's just see how the season pans out before we get all ott.

as myself and a few other people have said "offer viable alternatives and solutions" as i do wonder where the murphy out brigade don't really know where they are going.

Troy.McClure
13/02/2002, 2:35 PM
Does anybody notice that most of the people that post here and live in Dublin are not "Gunther Out" people (the exception being the newly converted Wayne)? I wonder why that is? Must be something in the water ;)

Deco
13/02/2002, 9:47 PM
Dalo you must have some F*cking patience to be able to put up with the way we've been playing.

dalo
14/02/2002, 7:41 AM
well it's called being a cork city fan. yeah course i am not happy to see us draw with dundalk, lose to ucd or bohs or shams in the cup but when we beat pat's, sham's and shel's this season and hammered galway into submission I noticed the murphy out crowd were very quiet then. it's all kneejerk reaction a lot of the stuff being posted up here

let's wait and see how the rest of the season pans out :D

Gary
14/02/2002, 12:21 PM
hammered galway into submission

???????? That was a hard job beating/hammering the mighty Galway. We werent that good that day, Galway were just really bad.

James
14/02/2002, 1:30 PM

let's wait and see how the rest of the season pans out :D

holy chit dalo..there only a few games left man...the season is almost over...that kinda comment u can make after say 5 or 6 games..agree with you though about the knee jerk reaction thing though...i was playing indoor soccer the other day and my knee is killing me...and that was the day after we lost to Limerick..!!! :D so maybe theres something in that hypothesis ..

Éanna
15/02/2002, 1:32 PM
i am one of those booing and if liam or anyone else has a problem with it, he can phukin well ring me and i'll tell him why- if we had 11 sh!t players who were trying their best and still osing,then i'd be behind them all the way. we don't! we have some very good players, who don't seem to have the little light between their ears switched on on a sunday. if the lads fought and lost- FINE! but there are some people who aren't even fighting. thats why i boo- i boo liam murphy for his clueless tactics and not dropping players after poor performances, cos he got rid of all the replacements and i boo the players who don't get the finger out. anyone who stays in the cross 10 mins after the end of the game (very few) will also have ssen me shouting encouragement at the likes of skippy or o'grady when they come out to warm down.